Author Topic: Ray Kennedy: Walk Tall Big Man  (Read 8343 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Ray Kennedy: Walk Tall Big Man
« on: August 1, 2004, 11:53:31 am »
Ray Kennedy, to my mind at least, is a mythical footballer; he represents what all significant players do to a young child discovering the game: the footballer as Superhero. They are football. It's as if there have never been players beforehand, and none will follow: in your mind, as a kid, they exist without historical context.

My introduction to the glamorous world of football was as an eight-year-old collecting Panini stickers. There were two Kennedys on the Liverpool page, and they seemed special for that reason (things like that seem interesting to a young kid; Alan was not in Ray's class as a player, I'd later discover). But there's another surname synonymous with Ray, and that is Parkinson. It is the name of the disease with which he was diagnosed in 1984, and which has seen his health diminish over the following years. But first, I'm writing this about a footballer, not simply a man who is now very unwell.

I was asked to write a few words about Ray a couple of weeks back, and at first I declined - he is not someone I felt I was well-enough qualified to comment on, and subsequently do justice to; I was watching (but barely understanding) football at the time he took his talents from Liverpool to Swansea in 1981. But I have come to realise that I may be capable of passing comment even if I didn't see him play in the flesh, or see him play at all beyond the television screen (and subsequently, in various Liverpool videos and DVDs). I may not be an expert in all Ray Kennedy did as a player, but I decided I could provide my subjective take on the man.

Born with a surname synonymous with twentieth century history, he was a key component in writing Liverpool's own staggering headlines. The way he controlled the ball and struck home the crucial goal away to Bayern Munich in the 1981 European Cup semi-final - having been forced up front after Kenny Dalglish's early injury - highlighted the contradictions of the big man: good body strength in shaping to control the ball on his chest, before rifling a shot with his "weaker" right foot. High pressure, entrance to the ultimate game at stake, and he's cool, calm and collected. It was a colossus striking with nimble skills.

It was only in later years that I learned he'd led a double life; he'd been an Arsenal player, and a bruising centre forward at that (how weird to me that these Liverpool players had played for other teams beforehand). He was a key component of Arsenal's double-winning side of 1971, scoring 19 league goals that season - although it would have been nice if they'd fallen at the final hurdle in the FA Cup that year (I'm not going to make myself bitter over a football match which took place when I was merely one-month old). When he arrived at Liverpool, centre forward was the role in which he was intended to play; things didn't exactly go as planned, and he failed to make a spot in the side his own, and found himself in the reserves.

The transformation under Bob Paisley from a big and burly centre forward to an artful left-sided midfielder in 1975 is still seen as the greatest-ever manager's masterstroke. To put it into modern parlance, it would have been the same as Gerard Houllier playing Emile Heskey at left midfield and miraculously ending up with Robert Pires (alas, that never transpired). Of course, the main credit should go to Kennedy, as he was the man who took to the field and adapted so wonderfully. There was none of this tosh about being played out of position; good players are versatile. Each will have his best position, of course, but if you can control, pass, shoot, head - then you can do a job anywhere. From midfield, Kennedy managed to ghost in and score crucial goals, hitting ten, nine and eight in three successive league seasons from 1978 to 1980. But he wasn't a David Platt type, who offered little else other than goals. Kennedy was a proper player.

In later years, via plenty of video evidence, I got to see - and understand for myself - what people said about Kennedy: that he had an especially sweet left foot. That is the adjective people use: Sweet. It is used for other players too, although almost exclusively left-footed players, as if those who prefer to use that foot possess greater perception and vision.

He was a tall, upright kind of player - not compact and dynamic like Keegan, the real Superstar player of the mid-70s (before KK took to spectacularly falling off of bikes as a television "Superstar"). Watch Ray Kennedy run, and there was no way he was a footballer; he was in the same club as Patrick Vieira and Chris Waddle in that he simply didn't look the part. Put a ball at Ray's feet, and suddenly it was the most natural sight in the world. It stayed close to his side like an obedient sheepdog. He was suddenly a master, in control, calling the shots. Some players are busy, but busy themselves in going nowhere; Ray took his time, but always got there, always arrived. In being upright, it meant he also played with his head up - the sign of a good player. You need time on the ball to be able to lift your head, and only good players get time on the ball. You also need to know your control is perfect to take your eyes from the ball and survey the field.

In many ways his decline was swift. In his final years at Liverpool he knew something was physically wrong when he played, and found himself increasingly struggling to get into the pace of games. He'd had physical problems for many years, but his great fitness masked their seriousness and kept any real concerns at bay.     

My main connection to Ray Kennedy - and what made me think I could write this piece - is that I can relate to this physical decline, having gone - in a matter of a couple of years - from being a (very average) semi-pro to being comprehensively tackled by a woman in a work's five-a-side (before any accusations of sexism are placed, I've played against female England internationals and been fairly impressed; this woman, however, was clinically obese and, by the looks of it, had never kicked a ball before in her life. I tried to lie to myself and say it was merely down to her imposing upper-body strength and preponderate twin "blockers", but I knew I was a beaten man). It's a strange feeling, experiencing your body failing you (before its time) but not understanding why. Once we pass our teenage years, we a programmed to expect an inevitable decline; no longer invincible, we know we will weaken as the years pass. We just don't expect it to happen suddenly, whilst in our prime.

Ray was in his early thirties and he probably felt about twice that age at times. Being beaten by far inferior players - so soon after being a European champion - must have shocked Ray; it must have felt like he was being tackled by a fat woman who had two left feet, neither of which was in any way sweet. I have a different illness to Ray, and I am not as unwell, but I can empathise with his plight.

I don't sense Ray Kennedy to be the self-pitying type, nor do I think that on balance he will look back and think he has had a bad life; he got to experience things us mere mortals only ever dreamed of, and in a way had not one but two football careers. It is perhaps best to approach the end of this piece with the amazing fact that here was a player who did the hallowed double (League title, FA Cup) in 1971 at one club in one particular role; he then topped that in 1977 with a more remarkable double: Champions of England, and Champions of Europe in the same season (and a fraction from the treble) playing in a totally different position. The "treble" he did attain was winning the European Cup three times.

So there's Kennedy. And there's Parkinson. But maybe it's his Christian name I should conclude with: Ray. The rays of sunshine he provided football fans everywhere; the rays of hope (and inspiration) he gives as an "ambassador" for his condition. Ray Kennedy: walk tall, big man.

© Paul Tomkins 2004
« Last Edit: August 1, 2004, 01:09:31 pm by Rushian »

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: Ray Kennedy: Walk Tall Big Man
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2004, 12:22:18 pm »
An excellent piece.  Delighted you changed your mind and wrote it.  Many thanks and good wishes for your health.  :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2004, 12:33:48 pm »
Cheers! :wave

I'm okay, on the whole - no more playing football for me, though (some may say that's a good thing!).

Offline Redlady

• Fantasy Football Queen
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2004, 12:40:07 pm »
That's a fantastic article, and a very powerful closing paragraph. His playing career was a little before my time, so it's always good to read about our past legends. I know someone with Parkinson's; Ray is a very brave man and all the best to him.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2004, 12:54:18 pm by Redlady »

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2004, 12:41:28 pm »
Superb article, Paul -which I am going to repost on one or two forums, all right?

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2004, 12:48:54 pm »
Thanks Susan, and of course you can repost, Cyn!     :)

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2004, 12:51:41 pm »
Thanks, Paul. As Susan says, that was a powerful closing paragraph.

I actually wrote a "poem" about Ray last year but luckily for you lot, it's been lost in cyberspace :D :D

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2004, 12:52:46 pm »
Cheers! :wave

I'm okay, on the whole - no more playing football for me, though (some may say that's a good thing!).

Well it is if it means it gives you more time to produce more excellent stuff like this.   But glad to hear your news anyway  :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline sir roger

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2004, 01:20:24 pm »
thanks for that piece paul, unlike you i am old enough to have seen the big fella play most of his games for the reds there were times when his performances alone were worth the entrance money what a player! :wave
justice for the 96

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2004, 04:42:19 pm »
Enjoyed that alot Paul, Thank you.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2004, 07:46:27 pm »
Paul, two comments from ynwa.tv:

Scally the Wag Posted: Aug 1 2004, 12:06 PM   

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

And a very good read too...

badtodabone Posted: Aug 1 2004, 16:59 PM   

Wise Old Git

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,067

ive got tears in my eyes .
i cant say anymore

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2004, 08:13:10 pm »
Thanks guys for the nice comments  :)

And thanks Cyn for passing on other people's nice comments!  ;D

Phill

« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2004, 10:04:41 pm »
Beautifully written, We had the other Kennedy at a sportsmans Dinner a few months back, Absolute gent by the way. He spoke in terms not unlike yours about Ray, and gave signed photos ( for a small donation) in aid of his "more skilled" (his words), team mate. Even the utd fans gave!.

Thanks and makes you realise that everyday problems are no big deal.

Phill

TomL47

« Reply #13 on: August 2, 2004, 11:58:30 am »
My favourite ever Liverpool player.  My first ever live game was the 1979 season when we won 4:0 at Maine Road.  Kennedy got 2 that day. 

He remains grossly under-rated by the Premier League generation.  I don't often agree with Ian St John but he described Kennedy once as "the player of the 70s" and he was right.

Offline SuperSub77

• Kopite
  • Scals aren't what they used to be
    • terrace ultra
« Reply #14 on: August 2, 2004, 01:32:48 pm »
Excellent piece Paul, does him justice.

One of my childhood heroes. I was lucky enough to see him play.

Had amazing touch and balance. His vision was unreal and on his day it seemed as if the whole game was revolving around him. He was a footballer who  played because he loved the game. Never lost it and was always fair, always smiling. Was a shame he didn't win as many England caps as he deserved.

So versatile that he wouldn't look out of place playing in the Prem today.

God Bless the big smiling No. 5!

(BTW - BBC Match of the 70's voted him 'Player of the 70's' a few years back for those who didn't know)
"I was a teenage armchair Honved fan"

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 2, 2004, 05:28:20 pm »
Another splendid article Paul. Makes me count my blessings and increases my resolve to help others when I can  through football-related projects.

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #16 on: August 2, 2004, 06:29:25 pm »
Nige, what happened to part 2 of your story about your great day at Anfield? Has it been posted?

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 2, 2004, 07:19:06 pm »
Actually, I didn't realise he was as highly rated as some posts here suggest. Player of the 1970s? That's a great accolade.

In terms of the English game, no one did more than he did between 1971-1980, and while others won more personal awards, I can't believe that anyone won more medals in that decade - and the big ones at that.

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #18 on: August 2, 2004, 07:39:07 pm »
Paul, brimag (poster on the Official Forum) says Ray is in his top 3 Liverpool players of all time. That speaks volumes, as far as I am concerned :D

A poster once posted that if he'd been playing for Man U, he would have been chosen as Footballer of the Year.

Offline snooker-steve

• Boys Pen
« Reply #19 on: August 6, 2004, 09:41:38 pm »
I saw Ray Kennedy play, and I agree with your sentiment:  he achieved more at Arsenal and Liverpool than most.  And what a player.  When someone like him is afflicted in such a cruel way, it should make us all sit up & count our blessings

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 7, 2004, 08:18:45 pm »
I saw Ray Kennedy play, and I agree with your sentiment:  he achieved more at Arsenal and Liverpool than most.  And what a player. 

Nice to see a few people who saw him play chipping in with their comments   :)

Offline StephenWrexhamFC

• Kemlynite
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 10:41:44 am »
Great post, I read his book a few years ago and it was very moving.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2004, 11:17:38 am »
My favourite Ray Kennedy moment was his goal in the titanic 3-1 win at Molineux (1976 I think.) He went potty, as did the rest of us! The stand, jammed full of travelling Reds, was already chaos after Toshack's goal. Me and our kid watched from halfway up the stand until Tosh's goal. I was on the pitch with everyone else after Ray's..

What a night, great memories, thanks Ray.

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2004, 10:25:55 pm »
paisley recognised something in ray that we all missed.he dropped tosh for a gme at stoke whichwe lost or drew (owl arse, fecked memory) but then took off as a midfield support

RESPECT RAY
TRACUTHB  *****

Offline JMarsh

• Wise beyond his years
  • Legacy Fan
  • Girls Aloud fan.
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2004, 01:01:21 pm »
Great piece, I wasn't alive to watch Ray Kennedy play but I've learnt a lot about him. He was a fine playerand I always have a lot of respect for a player that can be moved into different positions and adapt. Also he scored some of the best and most important goals in the glory years of our history. To name but a few....Bruges in the 1976 UEFA Cup Final (screamer at the Kop end)....St Etienne of course.....Bayern Munich away in the 81 semi final....he was a great player.

Thanks for the report.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2004, 04:08:23 pm »
EXCLUSIVE: RAY KENNEDY INTERVIEW - Mark Platt 30 November 2004

In a rare and exclusive interview Liverpool legend Ray Kennedy updates us on how he's battling against Parkinson's disease, reflects on his glorious Anfield career and reveals what current Reds player he most admires.

He'll forever be remembered as one of the greatest Liverpool players of all-time and over 20 years since leaving the club he remains an immensly popular figure with the fans.

During a glory-laden Anfield career, in which he won almost every honour the game has to offer, Ray Kennedy was an integral member of Bob Paisley all-conquering red machine.

Signed from Arsenal in July 1974 he scored 72 goals in 392 games for Reds and picked up 17 international caps for England in the process.

In 1982 he joined the John Toshack revolution at Swansea before returning to his native north-east where he finished his playing career with Hartlepool.

Not long after hanging up his boots Kennedy was tragically diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, a brain disorder that occurs when certain nerve cells die or become impaired.

It is a debilitating illness that can cause shaking, slowness of movement, rigidity, muffled speech and depression, and the plight of Ray Kennedy has touched the hearts of every Liverpudlian.

But in spite of the symptons he suffers, Ray (pictured below with son Dale and former team-mates Brian Hall and Ian Callaghan) remarkably took time out to be interviewed by Liverpoolfc.tv last week...

Ray, I believe you've recently come out of hospital, can you just update on you are doing health-wise at the moment?

I had a fall in the shower, which needed surgery to repair the wound. Twenty stitches in all to my left buttock and thigh. My health is up and down at the moment and I am due to go into hospital in January for adjustments to my medication.

Liverpool fans are constantly on the message boards of .tv and other sites asking about you and I understand some have been in touch. What does this support mean to you?

It means an awful lot to me. I didn't realise how much I was thought of by the fans. Even after all these years I still have my memories.

As a player with Liverpool between 1974 and '82 what was your relationship like with the fans on the Kop?

When I first arrived at Anfield I struggled with my form and don't think the fans rated me but as soon as Bob Paisley moved me to midfield that's when they started to appreciate me.

You signed for Liverpool on the day Bill Shankly resigned but how did your move from Arsenal come about?

Bertie Mee, Arsenal's manager, told me he was buying Brian Kidd to play in my position but that I could stay and fight for my place or I could talk to Liverpool.

Was it hard for you to settle when you first arrived on Merseyside?

No, I felt closer to home than I had been in London.

Did it ever cross your mind that you'd made the wrong decision?

Definitely not.

Bob Paisley famously transformed you from a striker to midfielder, what was your relationship with him like?

We were both Geordies and he could read me like a book. I had the utmost respect for him

Do you think his achievements do not get the recognition they deserve?

Most definitely

Would you agree that you become a better player at Liverpool?

Yes, more consistent and I could get in the box unmarked.

What would you say were your main strengths as a player?

Passing and balance.

Bob Paisley once said he had more enquiries from rival clubs about you than any other player, were you ever tempted to move on during the peak of your Liverpool career and maybe go abroad like Kevin Keegan?

No

Do you still keep in touch with any of your former Liverpool team-mates?

Yes, Graeme Souness and Terry McDermott, the old midfield.

Do you still follow Liverpool's fortunes?

Yes, I watch them on television and always want them to win.

What player in the current team do you admire most?

Steven Gerard.

When was the last time you visited Anfield?

At the end of last season against Newcastle but I didn't see the second half as I was ill.

Liverpoolfc.tv would like to thank Ray, and his brother Mike for their co-operation with this interview. It was much appreciated.

We know Ray is a frequent visitor to the Liverpoolfc.tv message boards so if you'd like to post him a message, feel free to do so...

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/Forum3/HTML/378261.html
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline RogerE

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: December 1, 2004, 12:22:32 pm »
Great article, Paul, I remember Ray well as a player. He'd had a fantastic striking partnership with Radford at Arsenal, I think they played in the 1971 double-winning team. Then he became a favourite at Anfield when Paisley moved him to midfield and he was an integral part of our most successful teams. He scored many important goals, including the one at Wolves mentioned by Redsnappa. I think he won more medals than any other footballer and thoroughly deserved them.