Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Media and Arts / Re: Eurovision 2024 (May 11th, semis on the 7th/9th)
« Last post by aw1991 on Today at 01:12:05 pm »
How dare they campaign for votes in a competition decided by voting, absolutely disgusting!

The most important thing is that Israel finished above Ireland and England, maybe if they concentrated more on their song and performance instead of on Israel they would have faired better
It's the work of Mossad bots didn't you know? Only question is who bankrolled them, the Rothschilds or George Soros?
I think Olise would help our attack

Archie Gray will be worth £100m in few years. He's better than Rice at the same age imo.

I've not seen any of Calafiori but his stats look great.

I agree on Olise. Injuries are a worry though.

He also plays in the same position as Salah and we’ve seen what happens when you try and take minutes off Mo!
Could see this being an absolute hiding today. Anything less than 3 would be impressive from Erik and the gang.
General Football and Sport / Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Last post by Phineus on Today at 01:05:58 pm »
^ it’s a farce and the premier league is becoming a procession each season.

Typically, promoted teams straight back down and city to win league. I don’t like Arteta but like Arsenal as a club. Odegaard and rice are class.
General Football and Sport / Re: Skybet Championship Thread
« Last post by Phineus on Today at 01:00:22 pm »
Maybe. Think they're also trying to be solid as they've struggled recently. They'll fancy beating Norwich at home if they can get back with a draw.

Fair, maybe. Attackers look knackered for them though.
Something else I've been quietly thinking for a while is that we seem to have these catastrophe moments each season.  A short period where nothing seems to go right and we have a run of awful results (comparatively speaking).

My hypothesis, (which is very anecdotal and I haven't even looked to see if these periods do exist season to season) is that we get a bit found out tactically after a period of finding a way of playing that gives us a run of good results.  It's like one team finds a way of hurting us that others the copy and it becomes a blueprint for playing against us.  We then have to adapt our system again (or refine a specific role in the structure) then get it together again.

My frustration has been how long it takes for these things to be corrected.  Having an alternative way of playing when we do get found out might be a way to limit the damage caused by these runs.

Or, I might be miles off with this theory.

I mentioned on another thread that we seem to be prone to a head loss moment when it seems something is out of reach. In 16/17, when we started to drop out of the title race we hit a sticky patch and it took a while to compose ourself for fourth. In the covid season 20/21, we were in a race then when we were out we collapsed. Last season we have a bad start and then are awful for ages. This season knocked out the cup and one or two dodgy league performances and all confidence is lost.

Other teams seem to be able to ride a couple of bad results and recalibrate. I actually think a good reason we came third is because we challenged for the title. If we hadnt then i think third or fourth may have been a struggle, we cant seem to coast, its all or nothing.

I dont know whether thats the fault of the players and their mentality, the manager and how emotional his approach is, the tactics, or maybe thats just us as a club in that we are all or nothing.
General Football and Sport / Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Last post by Jookie on Today at 12:55:41 pm »
Trouble with that scenario, funny as it may be, is that in general people will still kid themselves that the PL is competitive and there was a big title race going on. What's really needed to hammer the point home is City sailing to an easy win by several points and with the title won by April every season sadly.

If, as expected, City do win the league and FA Cup then they’ll have won 13 out of the last 21 domestic trophies. 6 out of 7 leagues in that and a Champions League in addition.

Over that same period we’ve won 4 domestic trophies and a Champions League.

Arsenal, United, Leicester and Chelsea have won 1 trophy each in that period.

I get  what you are saying about City romping away with the league to highlight dominance but 13 trophies out of 21 is relatively strong evidence for how City are absolutely dominating and skewing this league.

EDIT: for context i think the most we’ve ever won over a 7 season period domestically is 10 trophies 79/80 to 85/86 (though 2 European Cup wins in that run). United’s is about 8 domestic trophies in 7 seasons.
European Away forum / Re: Europa League 2023/2024
« Last post by rewood on Today at 12:55:38 pm »
Well, I have been all over the Atalanta and Bayer forums and Facebook, and I have drawn a blank. I can't get rid of my two hospitality tickets. Couldn't have got two worse teams from a support perspective. It's been interesting though. Makes you realise that we are in a different league to most fans on the continent. They just don't seem as keen to make the effort or pay the money that we do. And very much sounds like both sets of fans will get the tickets they want and need. I'm now planning on forming out more money for flights. And filling me boots with prawn sandwiches.
News and Current Affairs / Re: Labour Thread * No Gaza *
« Last post by west_london_red on Today at 12:55:01 pm »
Childcare remains phenomenally expensive. Stat Paternity leave is 2 weeks.

Unless you’ve got money or parents who can help out it’s not doable.

I’d say it’s a symptom of other issues mentioned already rather than a cause. Has childcare got more expensive over the last 10-20 years? No one used to complain about it 20 years ago. I’m guessing it hasn’t become more expensive (but happy to be corrected), the difference is that once upon a time a parent (usually the mother but obviously doesn’t have to be) could afford to give up work for a couple of years or go part time to look after the children and you could run a household on a single wage or one and a half wages, now most people can’t do that, most households need two wages just to keep their heads above water because everything is so damn expensive.
The Boozer / Re: Wordle - Word Game - Guess a different word each day
« Last post by Elmo! on Today at 12:53:26 pm »
Wordle 1,058 3/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛⬛🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10