Author Topic: How do I get red wine stains out my white t-shirt?  (Read 9801 times)

Offline smullo

• RAWK Bonjella Rep
  • Kopite
  • You can't put a price on History
How do I get red wine stains out my white t-shirt?
« on: July 24, 2005, 08:30:18 pm »
Bought a cracking t-shirt from Burtons, and I went to a party last week and spilt red wine all down it, ive put it in the washing cycle about 7 or 8 times and it's just, still there

Anyone got any suggestions?
"I hate talking about football. I just do it, you know?" Robbie Fowler

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
Re: How do I get red wine stains out my white t-shirt?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 08:31:25 pm »
Vanish?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 08:32:06 pm »
Difficult now, as they're old. Should've been treated immediately with white wine. Your best bet would probably be a stain remover like Vanish.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:32:34 pm »

White wine.

That is not a joke... :wave

87:13

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 08:33:41 pm »
found this...

"This is absolutely foolproof for any laundered items! Mix Dawn dishwashing liquid soap with hydrogen peroxide...then pour on the stain and let sit as a presoak. Neither of these ingredients works by itself. You must use BOTH. You'll actually see the red wine disappear as you drizzle the mixture on a stain! I have used it to take major red wine stains out of ALL clothing and table cloths (regardless of the color of the item). I have used it on old dried stains and stains that were laundered, bleached and subsequently turned "yellow". OLD, old stains have been successfully removed. Just make sure the soap/peroxide mixture is relatively fresh. I used some the other day that was a few months old (I keep a bottle on my washing machine and pre-treat clothes as I see them coming through on wash day) and it did not remove a particularly large stain completely.

The T-shirt went through the washer and dryer before I realized that my mixture had "weakened". I mixed up a new batch and the second time around was PERFECT! You'll be amazed. (side note: the peroxide will turn the blue dishwashing liquid to a clear color--that does not reduce its effectiveness!) With this mixture there is NO NEED for any bleach even on the whitest of whites! Keep on drinking that tasty red wine with confidence! This is so effective that we have become absolutely careless about spilling wine...and our wine tastings have become an absolute blast because clean up is absolutely CARE FREE. Believe me! You gotta try this."

Also, I know I've used milk on blood stains on shirts, pour some milk on it, let it sit for a few seconds then either rub it out or throw it in the wash...Maybe it'll work for red wine...

Offline smullo

• RAWK Bonjella Rep
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 08:36:08 pm »
White wine.

That is not a joke... :wave

Problem with that is, if i crack it open now, i'll drink the rest of it, then have another bottle, then before I know it i'll have failed to get up for work in the morning, and then lose my job

Vicious circle that, might try the milk :D

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 08:39:04 pm »

Problem with that is, if i crack it open now, i'll drink the rest of it, then have another bottle, then before I know it i'll have failed to get up for work in the morning, and then lose my job

Hmmmm. I can see the bind you're in... ;D ;D

87:13

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 08:39:06 pm »
Cillit Bang.

BANG! All gone.

Offline bigjobby

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 08:40:31 pm »
try salt... i use it everytime i spill some red wine onto the carpet. Works a treat.

Offline smullo

• RAWK Bonjella Rep
  • Kopite
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 08:43:20 pm »
try salt... i use it everytime i spill some red wine onto the carpet. Works a treat.

I'm honoured ya used your first post in my hour of need

Alright fella

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 09:03:47 pm »
Too late now for white wine and salt.  Cillit Bang is NOT recommended for fabrics (says so on the bottle).   Dunno about 'Vary's suggestion - but hydrogen peroxide is a tad savage.  Vanish is most probably your best bet - but be gentle in using it.  Otherwise, you could try Wine Magic, which I've used to great effect on wine stains which have "set".  Downside - its only available on mail order.  Upside - they are very quick delivering.  But have a look at their website.  You mucky pup you.  ;D
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 09:07:08 pm »
I recommend not shopping at Burtons.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 09:07:49 pm »
Don't remind me about red wine spills, brings back horrible memories.  My wifes Auntie and Uncle have an apartment over in Spain, and we go there every year.  There house nearby is in South Wales (Prestatyn) so we go there once a year to collect the keys from them.  Each time, bar this year, has been a complete disaster:

2002: broke an antique stool when I was resting on it, fucking bits of wood everywhere.
2003: when trying to unfold their pullout table the entire things collapsed and a glass vase went all over the ground.
2004: the most recent disaster, I spilled a bottle of red wine on their beautiful carpet.

Thankfully nothing happened this year, but I don't think they like us going round.

;D

Offline susie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 09:08:47 pm »
7-UP and salt. The bubbles in the 7-up bring the dirt to the surface, then the salt soaks it up. Apparently

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 09:09:50 pm »

Agree didnt know they done cracking clothes :P .  I reckon your stuck with your stain mate, have you thought of getting yourself a lump of cheese?  It goes great with wine.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline smullo

• RAWK Bonjella Rep
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2005, 10:16:36 pm »

It was a few days before pay day and they had a sale on, but that's no excuse is it?

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 10:20:49 pm »
bicarbonate of soda, should do the trick

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 10:34:34 pm »
Get down littlewoods and get a new one lad closin down sale

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2005, 10:46:59 pm »
Cillit Bang.

BANG! All gone.

Did someone mention Cillit Bang?

;D ;D

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 11:05:56 pm »
Don't remind me about red wine spills, brings back horrible memories.  My wifes Auntie and Uncle have an apartment over in Spain, and we go there every year.  There house nearby is in South Wales (Prestatyn) so we go there once a year to collect the keys from them.  Each time, bar this year, has been a complete disaster:

2002: broke an antique stool when I was resting on it, fucking bits of wood everywhere.
2003: when trying to unfold their pullout table the entire things collapsed and a glass vase went all over the ground.
2004: the most recent disaster, I spilled a bottle of red wine on their beautiful carpet.

Thankfully nothing happened this year, but I don't think they like us going round.

;D

Really.   ::)  I wonder why.  Pick, pick, pick at the slightest thing some people....

Did someone mention Cillit Bang?

;D ;D

Yes.  A gentleman called "Devastating Dave".  And I don't wish to be at all unkind, but I think his chosen name might possibly give some insight into his recommendations for the treatment of fabrics.   :-\
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.