Author Topic: Rawk Round Table: Liverpool 3-0 Villarral (3-1 agg)  (Read 4138 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Rawk Round Table: Liverpool 3-0 Villarral (3-1 agg)
« on: May 5, 2016, 11:28:14 pm »
Well well.
More to come.
Yep.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: Rawk Round Table: Liverpool 3-0 Villarral (3-1 agg)
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2016, 02:01:10 pm »
This may sound odd but Sturridge actually had a bit of a mare. Think about his role in the three goals. First one, missed the ball, second one, only the keeper to beat and he still needed the keeper's leg and a post to get over the line and third one, mishit for Lallana to pounce.

Contrast that with Firmino. First goal, he plays a devilish cross through the six yard box. Second, juggle under pressure from two Villareal players, neat little pass to Studge, taking out the remaining defenders. Third goal, he torments the full back, not for the first time, and squares back for the shot.

Villareal didn't really show up. I know, you can only beat what's put in front of you but they were disappointing at their place and worse here. Can had the freedom of Anfield, Lovren and Touré were rarely troubled and apart from Moreno furnishing his by now customary lifeline with a stupid push in the box, they never really threatened. That all might sound churlish but they made life easy for us. Now, that may well have been down to the febrile atmosphere, in which case Klopp and the crowd should take due credit but Villareal looked a poor enough side, and a narky one too. Their fans may have been class but the players were underwhelming in their play and dickish in their attitude. Oh, and their manager appeared to be a right twat, the ventriloquist's dummy looking fuck.

None of this should detract from the enjoyment of the occasion, and the satisfaction of having comprehensively seen off the fourth best team in Spain, without several first choice players. Now all we need to do is to cram 100,000 fans into 10,000 seats in Basel and beat the living shit out of Sevilla. Bring it.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2016, 10:06:13 pm »
I think tonight we got a foretaste of what we should see next season pressure from the first minute till the last never giving them a chance breath hardly, a couple of the goals were a bit scrappy but that was because of the massive pressure they were under.

Milner and Can were immense, Lovren was solid as a rock and we seem to have the better Toure in our team. Mignolet didn't have much to do but did it well, Clyne was an outlet for us all game, Firmino made chumps out of their players, Coutinho was quite silky at times and Lallana harried and chased all game and deserved his tap in.
Sturridge on a better day could have had 4 at least but he never stopped trying and working for us. Moreno worked hard needs to shoot less though all in all brilliant performance from the Team, Klopp and the coaching staff  and the Fans, in fact last night i felt the HolyTrinity returned to this club
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2016, 10:40:08 am »
Bump. Considered thoughts and reflections on Thursday's performance! :wave

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2016, 10:59:22 am »
Watching it again now. Villarreal got so rattled in the first half. Sold ado and Suarez both had massive tantrums and could have been sent off. The defender deserved his yellow for sprinting at the ref with dissent.  This was no doubt why the ref showed no leniency with the red in the second half. Handling the pressure of an field my arse

Still think Loren and can outstanding but Bobby even better

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2016, 11:08:53 am »
I`ll be honest , in lead up to the game I allowed the shithouse in me to prevail and make me feel pessimistic about our chances to reach the final. I thought that 90 minute blunder in the first game was history repeating itself with Riise`s 90 minute own goal stupidity at the Kop end which ultimately proved to be the decisive mistake costing us the final.

This time around Klopp and the boys had other ideas.

This was one of those inspired performances where every player is 8/10 and there`s not a single bad performance out there on the pitch. However as majestic as the likes of Lovren, Can, Milner, Sturridge were on the night I`d like to highlight one single performance as the most profound difference maker on the night imo. That was the one of Roberto Firmino.

I thought he was sensational and I thought he was the difference between the two teams and we have to keep in mind this was one of the most defensively adept teams we have faced this season; they are utterly obsessed with their 442 shape, being compact and working hard enough to compress the space between the lines, their defensive organization is superb and it takes something special to open them up - and on 3 occasions Firmino delivered.

Sturridge`s job is to be on the last shoulder and finish team moves so if he doesn`t get the service against such good defensive team there`s not much he can do. For all the 3 goals Firmino opens them up and finds Sturridge in the box who really should have had a hat-trick , scoffs two of those clear-cut chances, luckily Bruno and Lallana were there to finish it off. I think it`s a major feat to play on such a big stage against one of the best defensive teams in the tournament who are defending in a very compact low block and still open them up with his ingenuity and create 3 not just decent chances but 3 clear-cut chances for our striker in the box.

When Sturridge was about to return to the team mid-February I thought his partnership with Firmino will be a match made in heaven - ridiculously creative forward next to a guy with electrifying pace making clever runs all the time. However for some reason it didn`t work out at all and they showed little to no chemistry between them. And then in our biggest game of the season they connect on 3 occasions and as far as I`m concerned gave me huge encouragement they can go on and keep doing it on regular basis because with their respective skill-sets I don`t see how you stop them.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2016, 03:38:00 pm »
I think the biggest mistake Villareal made, and the biggest difference between the two legs, was Emre Can, and the way they let him maraud around the pitch. You simply can't give him that much room. His ability to carry the ball rapidly from deep within our half to deep within their's was crucial to them never getting a foot in the game. They never really attacked with purpose because they were terrified at how quickly Can would set us on the counter, which brings us to the other obvious difference - Sturridge was there to get on the end of chances. He's on a different level to any other finisher in our entire squad. Even when he mishits it completely, it somehow ends up in the back of the net. Those two made all the difference for us, and we have to keep them wrapped in cotton wool for the final.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2016, 05:16:23 pm »
This may sound odd but Sturridge actually had a bit of a mare. Think about his role in the three goals. First one, missed the ball, second one, only the keeper to beat and he still needed the keeper's leg and a post to get over the line and third one, mishit for Lallana to pounce.

He mis-hit every chance, but I don't think we should really judge performances off sort sub-conscious technical skills (like how cleanly a ball is struck). What Sturridge did do right, and for me what we should be judging striking performances off, was work hard and find himself in space time and time again. Which is his biggest strength.

First goal - He stays active after the initial chance and positions himself right in between centre back and full back. He does this a lot I've noticed. Best example is the opening day of 14/15 and the winner vs Southampton:

He gets himself back onside after the first phase, in front of the full back and behind the centre back and has a simple guided finish.

Second goal - is aware perfectly he needs to step back onside. He isn't marked, all the defenders are ball/Firmino watching  and is the only one out of him and the Villareal back four that gets on the half turn.

Third goal - Again, as ever, just takes advantage of ball watching defenders. At no point during his run into the box does he allow himself to be marked. He moves perfectly in the middle of the four Villareal defenders in that area.

I don't think there are many better around of exploiting space and ball-watching defenders. For all the talk of his pace, quick feet and finishing ability, time and time again he proves it's his brain that's his biggest asset.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8 on: May 7, 2016, 05:48:11 pm »
They were out once they won the toss and chose to let us attack the Kop first.

Head of steam up, get the crowd noisy, put the pressure on, raise the volume - call it what you will. That decision gave us an even bigger upper hand, than we had already.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family