Author Topic: Round Table Liverpool 1-1 Manchester City  (Read 11607 times)

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round Table Liverpool 1-1 Manchester City
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 10:55:38 am »
.. although Kenny did have to tell him to watch his passing after another very lose pass second half. 

He did that?

I think Adam is adopting to the intense, high pace passing game of a top side. Less time on the ball, less space, more pressing and quicker movement. I was very critical on him in the beginning but I was very suprised how he adopted himself step by step so far. He still has a way to go but in contrast to other signings he looks like to turn out being quite a success.

Downing so far still tries what he always did but it doesn´t work. He has to change a couple of things in his approach, otherwise he won´t make it, same with Carroll who could end up as a squad player if we sign more quality in the next transfer windows.

It was an existing game of football though, amazing to watch!
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 11:16:23 am »
Downing for me has everything he needs to be a class player the only thing he is missing is confidence. I think once he gets one assist or one goal the floodgates will open and he will be prolific.

There are parallels to be drawn between Downing and Heskey in some ways. Both arguably have/had the ability and attributes required to become top class in their respective positions. As you mentioned though, the one thing that is/was lacking for both is confidence and that is precisely what sets the truly top class players apart. A supreme confidence in their own ability, bordering on arrogance.

I remember Houllier stating once that Heskey almost didn't realise just how good he was, or how good he could be, and that you had to be constantly telling him that to get anything like the best out of him. Despite that one season though, I would say that we never did and I don't think overall, Emile ever realised his potential either.

Hopefully Kenny will be able to inspire the self-confidence in Downing that will allow him to not follow that same route.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:18:22 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 01:49:38 pm »
Lots of great posts in here!

One thing I'd like to add is the importance of our 'older' players to the team - Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy. I don't think it's coincidence that we look better when one of them is on the pitch, and not only for their on-the-ball skills. Imo, they do a lot of important work of the ball that lets younger/new players find their feet. Against City, Kuyt allowed Henderson free movement, by falling back onto the right when Jordan was going forward, or by pulling defenders away with little runs.

About Kenny's subs, I too somethimes wonder if anybody's told him he can make three of them. ;)
But some of them seem to be not about changing the game, but also about confidence - I'm sure Suarez would've come off if he'd scored. He looked frustrated and i thinks he's carrying a knock (left knee), but taking him off would've disappointed him even more.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 01:53:23 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 02:19:44 pm »
Few things I noticed that really need to be pointed out as it's starting to show Kenny's philosophy coming through.

The Defence
We've no longer got one leader in Carragher, we've now got 3. Skrtel, Agger and Reina were constantly keeping the communication going, apart from a few bad passes back from Enrique, Lucas and (iirc) Skrtel, they all seemed calm, compossed and strong with or without the ball.

Lucas did extrememly well turning that defence into a 5, a few times he slotted in between Skrtel and Agger and didn't look out of place in the slightest, he was exceptional and deserved the MOTM award.

The Fullbacks
Johnson and Enrique were class all game. A few poor passes backwards from Enrique almost let City in but he made up for them with some of those brilliant attacking runs and making sure our left side was solid when City were on the attack.

The Midfield
Everyone seemed to be pulling their weight, and apart from a few moments in the first half were Adam was out of position whilst a City player jogged past him, I thought he was brilliant, constantly looking for a dangerous pass to play, constantly breathing down opposition necks along with Lucas and looked to want to win it for us.

Just before he shot, I said to my girlfriends dad "If he shoots here, it's wasted."....I had egg on my face throughout the rest of the game :duh

Adam is definately improving game by game, his understanding with Lucas is growing and it's really starting to show, I doubted he'd be able to handle City before the game and wanted Spearing in there instead, but fair play, the lad proved myself and many others wrong and gave a standout performance for the second week in a row against two very strong, attack minded sides.

The Wings
Apart from a few poor first touches, Dirk ran that right side, was constantly exploiting the space that Clichy left and kept finding Johnson on those overlapping runs, just unlucky not to create a goal with a few of them, especially the second or third overlap Johnson did, managed to beat a man and took a touch to many which meant he'd ran the ball out of play.

Downing had one of his best games to date, constantly looking dangerous and wanting to get on the scoresheet, was really unlucky not to get that volley on target and if only for a few extra inches, Kuyt would have buried it.

Henderson is really improving game by game, looked a little jaded on a few occasions but was definately out to impress and his performance won't have done any harm, he's one for the future and his potential shone through IMO.

Suarez
What can you say about the little fella that hasn't already been said? He was brilliant, caused problems time and time again and although he went over a little easy a few times, he just picked himself up and wanted to get a goal for us. Deserved a goal and should have had one except for a great double save from Hart.

Carroll
When he came on, he looked lean, hungry, and eager but needs to be careful. That tackle on Kompany could have been a straight red, going through the back of a player and just about managing to get the ball, was lucky to get away with a yellow IMO but fair play to the lad, he made up for it by trying to put the ball in the net.

Caused a lot of problems for the City defence with his height alone, however, we need to realise that he's not only good with his head, we need to try and get him in a position to use that left foot and have a crack at goal, it's the only way we'll start getting the best out of him. He's not a target man in my opinion, his game's much more rounded that that.

Pepe
Was fucking brilliant all game. 10/10 performance from him and deserved a clean sheet.

Overall
Apart from a few dodgy moments were we put ourselves under pressure, it was a very very promising performance. The team has started to gel and it's showing, last week against Chelsea and now against City. What Dalglish is building is a very solid team and there's no doubts about it, we'll be looking for those flair players now with the core squad basically built.

City were lucky to go away with a point, we were unlucky to not get all 3.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 03:28:35 pm »
Did you just re post that from the previous page JMc?

Fantastic game against Man City, Fresh off our win against the Rent boys. We totally bossed them for most of the game. Yes, we were unlucky not to win, but this is the top team in the land, and we are a team in transition trying to knit together. I think the only thing we are a lacking at this stage is goals. The confidence is increasing, the understanding is developing more and more.. The goals will come soon... Maybe We need another option up there, that's not a debate for this thread..

What I will say though, is that we have performed exceptionally well against the top sides this season (like many before). We need to build on this and do the same against the smaller teams. Having such width (Enrique, Downing, Johnson) in addition to a ball playing centre back pairing, and a fantastic midfield which is improving with each game should ensure we are equipped to take 3 points from most teams, most weekends.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 03:45:03 pm »
Did you just re post that from the previous page JMc?

:duh

Thought it was in a different thread.

Apologies :wave

Offline superJari-37

• Main Stander
  • Springtime fresh
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 07:17:35 pm »
I always try and look more candidly and dispassionately at our performance when everyone is gushing. But before I highlight some caveats I'll just say that I'm happy with a point against City and happy that the game was a draw as i didn't want a 'big win' for either team taking away from the sad news of Gary Speed's death.

Anyway, about the game, here's the caveats:

i don't get why Maxi didn't start and why he didn't come on. He was fantastic against Chelsea and there was no conceivable reason why Downing should've started instead.

The same applies to Spearing, who i thought would've got some minutes especially as Suarez looked more and more isolated as the game went on - Spearing would've toughed up the middle freeing Adam and Henderson to feel more confident about bursting forward in support.

The performance was a good 'spirited' performance but in terms of the technicality, it was often poor. The passing was very average at times and Reina was put under pressure by shambolic passes. We gave the ball straight back to City many times and would've been punished by a better team, as i wasn't impressed with City's passing either.

When we attacked you could sense the fear of being caught on the break so there was often a sense of holding something back. This fear was just, as City showed they are a great counter-attacking team, but we could have changed the midfield to reassure the attackers that they could really go for it (i.e. bring Spearing on). The hesitancy in attack for fear of being caught was also seen by City at times, resulting in weird passages of play that were like a training game as neither side wanted to put all their cards on the table.

We were unlucky with the Downing cross-shot and Carroll's header and other chances, but i'm just worried that we really aren't scoring at home. Team selection consistency for both away and home games could help to stop the drought.

How many goals has Suarez scored in the league? i don't know how many it is but it's way, way lower than it should be. i'm not criticising him, i'm criticising his teammates for not supporting him enough and the management for not working out our best team yet. i feel sorry for him and looking at the leading goalscorers list just depresses me at the moment
Feared by men and admired by women, Brendan Blake turned from the window and petted Larry, his barely-hominoid, milk-fed gimp

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »
I always try and look more candidly and dispassionately at our performance when everyone is gushing. But before I highlight some caveats .......

Blimey, is this a submission for an academic journal?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Captain Caveman

• Peter Andre's Disney-sponsored rapping cousin
  • Legacy Fan
  • Erik, Igor and Momo.
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2011, 05:48:12 pm »
lucas playing???????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sabu retch at putrid "fan", born to screech, doom'd to lose.
MANCHESTER EVERTON AND FUCK.
Says it all