Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool FC vs Tottenham Hotspur (Mothering Sunday 10th Mar, 4pm)  (Read 100414 times)

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
When Bob Paisley prepared the team to do this:

I doubt very much he done as much as this:

You sure told him!  :thumbup

Offline Kicked_Into_Touch

• Kopite
Actually, yes....

well here's a question, since you would know:

you think if he had it available to him at the time, he wouldn't have used it?
« Last Edit: March 6, 2013, 10:45:41 pm by Kicked_Into_Touch »

Offline Alex7

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
well here's a question, sinc eyou would know:

It's like hes never heard of evolution!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
well here's a question, sinc eyou would know:

He did have it...it was called his brain.....all that knowledge and experiance boiled down to a simple approach.

Here an anecdote for you, ...my mates were on the LFC charter coming back from a European away game...Bob was wearing a green button up top over a shirt...but he had a brown tie around the top....he was eating the in flight meal and rice was all over his face and said tie....he had two European Cups in the bag and on the way to a third, he had the sharpest football mind in the world, but at the end of the day he was just a bloke who couldn't dress himself properly or eat rice on an inflight meal without a bib....the point?....Im not sure...but somehow I think it reasures me that genius is human.

Those of you who wish to make sense of the simple by complicated analysis are welcome to it.

Anyhoo!...I digress back to the Spurs game!..c'mon Reds....kick!... pass!!...score!!!
« Last Edit: March 6, 2013, 11:00:59 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
He did have it...it was called his brain.....all that knowledge and experiance boiled down to a simple approach.

Here an anecdote for you, ...my mates were on the LFC charter coming back from a European away game...Bob was wearing a green button up top over a shirt...but he had a brown tie around the top....he was eating the in flight meal and rice was all over his face and said tie....he had two European Cups in the bag and one on the way to a third, he had the sharpest football mind in the world, but at the end of the day he was just a bloke who couldn't dress himself properly or eat rice on an inflight meal without a bib....the point?....Im not sure...but somehow I think it reasures me that genius is human.

Those of you who wish to make sense of the simple by complicated analysis are welcome to it.

You've contradicted yourself a little there. You talk about tactics as being simple, and yet say that Paisley was successful because he had the sharpest football mind in the world. For him it was simple maybe, but for those who don't find it so straightforward they need to pick things apart and analyse them, so they can be replicated. It's the same for anything really, some people just have a gift, some aren't so lucky and need to work at it.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan

Here an anecdote for you, ...my mates were on the LFC charter coming back from a European away game...Bob was wearing a green button up top over a shirt...but he had a brown tie around the top....he was eating the in flight meal and rice was all over his face and said tie....he had two European Cups in the bag and on the way to a third, he had the sharpest football mind in the world, but at the end of the day he was just a bloke who couldn't dress himself properly or eat rice on an inflight meal without a bib....the point?....Im not sure...but somehow I think it reasures me that genius is human.

Anyhoo!...I digress back to the Spurs game!..c'mon Reds....kick!... pass!!...score!!!
I was at that 7-0 game, those were the days.

They didn't have the technology to produce what PoP has done above but Paisley would have explained it in his simple terms. However, I'm sure if it was all available to him then it would have been a useful tool to explain the respective shapes to his players.

We might have won 9-0.

Offline Chris Mullin

• Kopite
Actually, yes....

I´m confused....you know this because your mates saw him spill rice on his tie in the LFC Charter?
The only way Lebron will ever get close to a ring is if he shakes Kobe´s hand.........

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
When Bob Paisley prepared the team to do this:

I doubt very much he done as much as this:

You're right. I should probably stop being so generous with my diagrams. I mean, which coach ever analysed the game tactically before?

What a load of rubbish I write!
Better looking than Samie.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Like I always say, we NEED the first goal. It just makes us so much more calm and composed. Anfield should be rocking for this, especially after Zenit and Wigan. It will be very interesting to see what team Rodgers puts out. Henderson for Allen? Sturridge for Coutinho? Sturridge for Downing. Or maybe no Sturridge or Henderson at all and we keep the same team that beat wigan. Who knows but it's nice to have these options.

I always hate playing Spurs, have a shit record against them recently and their pace always scare me. That being said, Suarez is on red hot form and our last few home games have been great. A win would be huge and we should expect nothing else.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
;D Ha ha I despise Spurs fans! Although to be fair Chelsea fans are equally despicable.

Cockney fans aside, I'm optimistic as always and believe we're definitely capable of taking 3 points from these at Anfield. Although Wigan are hardly the greatest test, was very impressed with the movement and work rate of our attacking players at the DW. Allen looks like he's finding some form as well, anyone disagree with starting Allen over Henderson?

Absofuckinglutely, Henderson has been playing better so should start. Nothing against Allen but this is a big game so play the players who are on form.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You're right. I should probably stop being so generous with my diagrams. I mean, which coach ever analysed the game tactically before?

Ignore him - Bob Paisley managed the team 30 years ago for a start. Being the ardent student of every aspect of the game, you can bet your bottom dollar he'd have worked these diagrams too if he were here with us, god bless his soul.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I'm glad you think it too. If it's not done on a flipchart with a thick Berol black marker with a few bits underlined in red (possibly even the odd blue arrow if we're being swanky) it's horseshit. Hang on a minute, horse and shit in the same sentence?  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21676069
Have Ikea tested any of their food for PoP diagrams yet? Coming on here trying to saturate minds with technicalities and pie charts, when all the time your dastardly plan was to poison Swedish kids, you fucking bastard!

Anyway, the only conversation I ever had with the great man was when he called me a "stupid little bastard" but I am in no doubt that he was that smart and that brilliant, if all this stuff was available to him at the time, he'd have possibly used it before anyone else.

EDIT**   And we're still going to twat these c*nts, regardless of what Norbert says.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
I'm glad you think it too. If it's not done on a flipchart with a thick Berol black marker with a few bits underlined in red (possibly even the odd blue arrow if we're being swanky) it's horseshit. Hang on a minute, horse and shit in the same sentence?  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21676069
Have Ikea tested any of their food for PoP diagrams yet? Coming on here trying to saturate minds with technicalities and pie charts, when all the time your dastardly plan was to poison Swedish kids, you fucking bastard!

Anyway, the only conversation I ever had with the great man was when he called me a "stupid little bastard" but I am in no doubt that he was that smart and that brilliant, if all this stuff was available to him at the time, he'd have possibly used it before anyone else.

EDIT**   And we're still going to twat these c*nts, regardless of what Norbert says.

Pie Charts. I knew I was missing something!
Better looking than Samie.

Offline professorj

• Main Stander
  • OG__ on the old Shanklygates forum...
For me it's 50:50 Allen or Henderson.  My gut says Allen due to him not putting a foot wrong since the Zenit match, I like to see players stay in the team if they play well, my rotation policy would be rather primitive (rotate if they look tired e.g. Raheem).  My tactical side (also rather primitive compared with some on here) would prefer the combative strength and game intelligence of Henderson against a more 'footballing midfield' that Spurs always offer up.  I have a hunch that it will be Allen to start, given Rodgers' habitual patterns but either player at the moment is going to be thorn in the Tottenham side.  Got a great feeling about this one, whatever the score is we will be confident, up for it and we will see who the better team is in what surely will be a great match.  Tentative prediction 3-2.
Remember kids: Say no to the Owl...

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
Don't personally understand calls of Suarez as the most forward player of the 3 in midfield. Against Spurs, we'll need to control our midfield with Dembele in their side.

Lucas, Gerrard and one of Allen or Henderson in there, for me.

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
Expect a loss because of the wide-spread optimism, but hope for a win!!

Allen or Henderson? Clearly Rodgers favor players with that extra good touch.
Believe we will see Allen with Suares, Sturridge and Coutinho up front.
Wont mind Henderson though! How nice is that?

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
We also need to have a tactical solution to cope with Bale's runs down the flank and to crowd him out, given the good form he is currently in.

Offline professorj

• Main Stander
We also need to have a tactical solution to cope with Bale's runs down the flank and to crowd him out, given the good form he is currently in.

His name's Glen isn't it?  ;)

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
Yeah we have to drop Downing because he never scored or played well against Wigan .....Keep the same team and bring Sturridge on if things need changing if it ain't broke don't fix it.

We will win this i am in the camp that's not that impressed with Spurs , we played them off the park earlier in the season and were very unlucky so we can defo win this at home.

2-0
I don't entirely agree with this. Hendo is needed for some physicality  in the middle, but yea Downing starts. Been playing to well to drop.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
His name's Glen isn't it?  ;)

Johnson is going to need some help though from Downing or whoever is playing in front of him as well as from Lucas to double team Bale. Bale is going to try to outrun Johnson and so Johnson will need cover.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
I can see BR keeping Downing in the team as extra cover for Glen Johnson to cope with Bale. Downing has also been in good form recently.

Offline professorj

• Main Stander
Johnson is going to need some help though from Downing or whoever is playing in front of him as well as from Lucas to double team Bale. Bale is going to try to outrun Johnson and so Johnson will need cover.

Oh, undoubtedly, I think Lucas will be going out there with a big monkey shaped target in his mind as well as his other usual calm 'firefighting' thoughts.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
Bale's been playing through the middle lately. I believe that's why they've been so dangerous. You can either give your defensive attention to Bale or let Dembele pull the strings behind him. We'll have to have someone to help Lucas rather than Glen and I love Gerrard deep with Suarez and Sturridge high up the pitch.

I feel like we've had our most attacking success/fluidity with Luis behind Sturridge. Downing's been an automatic start because he's the only proper wide forward(provides better width on his weaker foot, but it's been working) that tracks back well. I think it becomes a Henderson vs. Coutinho debate for the start. Positives and negatives for both, but Rodgers tends to go with the more offensively intriguing option. Sturridge's knock obviously could completely alter everything.

Offline Ozzie Red

• Main Stander
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3j-zCBIOzl8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3j-zCBIOzl8</a>

Terry Macs goal my favourite ever, and I was at that!!! old Bastard that I am
I love being part of this big Red family, we are Liverpool Football club, we will win

Offline Ozzie Red

• Main Stander
where's Charlie Adam when you need him?? :wave a nice early hard tackle on Bale should sort him, we owe these tossers
I love being part of this big Red family, we are Liverpool Football club, we will win

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
Really, really hope we beat these. I hate the thought of that prick Bale doing that stupid fucking heart celebration at Anfield.

Offline FoolForPool

• Main Stander
Just as side note. We have a habit of winning a few games, saying the next big game is a litmus test, then losing:-(  We then spend the next week whining about the team until we win the following match and the process starts again. 

This obviously is great fun and an important part of being a Liverpool fan.  I often just cut and paste previous posts from earlier threads and throw them in as I find I can contribute more quantity to the discussion that way.

Alternatively, we could just accept that this is another game on the path to improvement, and not a pass or fail examine of the whole season.

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
Please Liverpool, just win 1-0 will be enough for me...

great OP by the way

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
If we win this I'll be getting very optimistic, given Arsenal, Everton, and Chelsea's form. Which is always a dangerous thing.

Is Sturridge back for this? Apologies if it's mentioned earlier in the thread.

Anfield should be a cauldron for this. Scare the shit out of them ponces.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
Sure I read that sturridge is expected to be fit. Fingers crossed anyway, he could be vital in a game like this.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
The team looks so much better in that font, they all look world class
Haha - that's the result of using such a "classic", "vintage" font! Makes whatever you're writing about "feel" valuable and classy. :)
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
What a cross form Heighway that was.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
Bale = pace.
Carra = experience. We'll see which one comes out on top at the end of the day...

Unless, Kelly is fit. And Rodgers plays Kelly or Wisdom to outmuscle Bale and leave him on the ground like a heap of worthless rag....
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
Thanks for the great OP read.

I can't help but feel this may hinge on how many goals (if any...) Inter score tonight at WHL. I'll be rooting for them to score a couple, but not TOO many and for Liverpool to be confident but not TOO confident and not give away cheap goals.
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
Me too, in the Paddock in front of Heighway when he crossed it. Always my favourite goal too.

Offline -bullfrog-

• -jeremiah- -helped me drink my wine-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
The potentially second most painful fixture of the year. Away to spurs being the first. They just don't fit us at all. If we do manage to win this one, it'll be a big step in the right direction! Can't say I'm looking forward to this game, but there's always hope!  :)

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Expect a loss because of the wide-spread optimism, but hope for a win!!

Just as side note. We have a habit of winning a few games, saying the next big game is a litmus test, then losing:-(  We then spend the next week whining about the team until we win the following match and the process starts again. 

Hey ladies, this is a Liverpool footy forum, not a knitting circle. Stop being such fucking massive quims. Positivity only. Repeat after me ... 

"We"....."Are"......"Going"....."To"......."Twat"......."These"........"c*nts"...."Regardless"....."Of"......."Whether"......"They've"......"Got"......"Magilla"........"Gorilla"........"Or"......"The"....."Whole"....."Fucking"....."Cast"......."Of"....."Planet"....."Of"......."The"......"Apes"......"Playing"......"For"....."Them"

There's a good pair of old dears  :wave
Macca resplendent!

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
Are Spurs forums full off debate on whether to drop their best players or not? No fuck that, get Suarez in behind Sturridge with Coutinho on the left and let them worry about us. We're at home, impose our game on them, this is one of the teams we want to compete with next season. There's no point shitting ourselves when we play them. A midfield of Gerrard, Shelvey, and Allen were able to dominate Man City at the start of the season. Lucas Gerrard and Suarez are much better than that, and it's not like Suarez won't press like a mad man. He just needs to be told not to try and beat anyone in his own half.

Bring them on

Offline macca888

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The biggest threats are Bale, Parker and Assou Ekkoto

Macca resplendent!

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
Positivity only.

Just not towards "ladies" because we all know women are genetically predisposed to cowardice.

Are Spurs forums full off debate on whether to drop their best players or not? No fuck that,

I don't think Chelsea (or even Arsenal given their fixtures by comparison) are comfortably far enough for them to afford that actually. Maybe if Inter give them a hard enough time and they prioritize their away EL tie, but I don't see it happening otherwise. We're more than capable beating them at full strength anyway, we just have to not only turn up but STAY there for the full duration of the game.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2013, 09:35:29 am by Dakota »
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.