Author Topic: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.  (Read 29786 times)

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.
« Reply #120 on: January 8, 2011, 01:16:11 pm »
Is anyone praising him?

Well the 'thanks' he is getting is pretty close.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #121 on: January 8, 2011, 01:16:33 pm »
No. Just no. He came out with comment after comment after comment with each one appearing to be even more smug, deluded and stupid than the last. I would be more than happy to have thanked him for his effort and wished him best in his future endeavors but after the way he acted while at this club, he should be getting no respect.

Yeah I agree it is harsh that people may be continuing their abuse of him and it should probably stop but we shouldn't be praising him either.
People under pressure often show the worst side of their character, doing and saying anything to divert attention away from themselves. He deserves our pity rather than our hatred.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 8, 2011, 01:16:37 pm »
HE HASNT BEATEN YOU BOSS

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #123 on: January 8, 2011, 01:16:55 pm »
Sometimes youve got to be cruel to be kind , he had to go for the good of the club - but i wish him all the best in his next job , good luck .
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline storey1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #124 on: January 8, 2011, 01:18:44 pm »
Ok we now have the final piece in place to shake off the mess that was the last few years, sure we have some playing staff that need to be moved on but that will happen and they will be moved to the periphery of the squad, I believe now is the time for us all to step back and take stock. These have been unprecedented times at Liverpool, and things have happened that have moved the goalposts regarding supporting and playing for our team.

Firstly I feel we should wish Roy Hodgson well, we wanted him out for obvious reasons but now we should move on and say good luck, it didn't work out here but it wasn't deliberate. He didn't do it on purpose the job was just too big for him. So I would hope that like any returning ex red that he would receive a good welcome the next time he visits anfield, because that is what we do and that is what sets us apart. Next welcome back Kenny, this is footballing romance at its best. The prodigal son returning just in time to go into battle with our fiercest rivals tomorrow and in the derby. Obviously this decision unites the kop, even those who feel Kenny has been out ofthe game for too long will wade in behind their hero. Bearing in mind that this is currently a short term appointment, we all need to take a breath now.

It is clear now that we have owners who know what they are doing, so as fans we now need to let them get on with footballing matters like appointing management. There is nothing wrong with having opinions, but the email campaigns that served us so well during the epic swindle need to be consigned to history. Look back on them with pride but understand that is what needed to be done then but should not be done every time the club makes a decision we don't agree with. Tweeting the owner as attractive as it may be to feel connected to the board is nonsense. In any large body of people there will always be some who will go a step too far but I feel that this culture of tweeting the owner should now stop. I would go as far as saying it's just not the liverpool way. The SOS said that management appointments should be a matter for the owners not us the fans. Our sole focus now should be supporting our team, doing all we can do to drive them out of the mess they are in.

The playing staff I would hope are all reflecting on the past 12 months too. They have all let themselves down at some stage in that period. Now is the time for them all to a man to step up. I for one would not be unhappy to see some of our players step into the media spotlight and make a statement of intent here and now. Brooding superstars now need to nail their colours to the mast and commit to the red shirt. Or leave. Get out because as much as we would love for you to stay you in your actions over the last year have contributed to this mess. Row in now and ensure come may you have done all you can to place us in as attractive a position as possible to any new signings. That is nw your brief for the rest of the season. The fans who buy your shirt and sing your names deserve that. We understand what you have been through but it's done now.

And so we have it, on the eve of a visit to Old Trafford we have got our man, defeats to Blackburn, Wolves, Blackpool and Northampton fade to the distant memory as we look forward to taking them on tomorrow. You just get the feeling that Mr Ferguson and maybe even Vidic and co. will not rest as easily tonight as they thought they would. Bring it on.
Slowly but surely the cogs of the red machine are beginning to turn again.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 8, 2011, 01:20:27 pm »
Roy managed to piss off the fans, players and backroom staff. How this makes him a nice guy I am not sure. None the less, I hope he learns from his time at Anfield and I wish him well for the future.

Has he taken Mike Kelly with him?
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 01:22:17 pm by MrGrumpy »
Justice for the 96!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 8, 2011, 01:20:29 pm »
Well the 'thanks' he is getting is pretty close.

Meh. Though I think he was a self serving, trying to protect himself, let's blame anyone but me kind of person, he tried his best whilst he was here so can't really fault him for that.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 8, 2011, 01:21:03 pm »
You do realise how petty and vindictive you sound?

That's ironic.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #128 on: January 8, 2011, 01:22:05 pm »
Sorry I cant, the man was stubborn and was hurting our club, had to be pushed. If he'd walked Id agree, selfish behaviour and a tad delusional also

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #129 on: January 8, 2011, 01:24:10 pm »
He is not a nice bloke, as we will find out in the coming weeks and months when he is in the press slagging us off. I hope those wishing him well are prepared for that, he wont be wishing us well and he will be whinging about how it wasnt his fault, it will be all ours and the squad Rafa left behind, wont be his, none of it will be his fault.

I just hope when it happens people dont get to annoyed over it, just expect it and accept its going to happen. Laugh it off and say to yourself fuck off Roy we & you really know the truth.

I'd expect a fairly hefty non-disclosure clause has been written into his compromise agreement. Doubt if we'll hear much from Hodgson himself - though no doubt his mates in the press will leak 'the truth' about his tenure here. I agree that the nice guy stuff wasn't borne out by his actions and utterings. Chippy and defensive and always ready to blame others.

If I'm honest I don't really care what he does from here on. I never really accepted that he was our manager anyway. He'll always be associated with H&G and Purslow for me.

Sorry Roy, see ya and don't let the door bang your arse on the way out.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 01:29:07 pm by Alan_F »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline brabs1

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: January 8, 2011, 01:24:58 pm »
Is Mike Kelly going too?  I'd imagine so.

I'll bet Pepe's jumping for joy

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 8, 2011, 01:26:04 pm »
Roy managed to piss off the fans, players and backroom staff. How this makes him a nice guy I am not sure. None the less, I hope he learns from his time at Anfield and I wish him well for the future.

You've got to seperate the personal from the professional. I'm sure he's a decent man in real life but like other people have alluded to, he was out of his depth and said some stupid things moreso than any concious effort to alienate the fans.

I won't miss his long winded rambling that's for sure. Much prefer Kenny's monosyllabic put downs back.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline shadowraith

• Kopite
« Reply #132 on: January 8, 2011, 01:26:40 pm »
bYE bYE Roy but you just were not good enough its not your fault Good Luck

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 8, 2011, 01:27:17 pm »
Paul Tomkins summed it up for me in his piece a few days ago Hodgson: No-one to blame but himself.

"But it’s not just the league position. It’s the agricultural football. It’s the defeatist utterings. It’s the criticisms aimed at the fans. It’s the kowtowing to his mates in the LMA. It’s the constant self-protection and self-aggrandisement that saw him lie about the relationship between Benítez and Dalglish, not to mention the way Kenny was dismissed as a candidate for the job in the summer.

Though we’ve seen little of it, deep at heart Hodgson may well be a decent man. And at the right club, he’s more than a decent manager. But at the wrong club – where victories are expected more often than once in every three games – he can be dreadful."

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 8, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »
...I think people are being way too easy on him in here.

I'd put a lot of it down to the collective sigh of relief resonating from the forum, and indeed from Liverpool fans everywhere.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 8, 2011, 01:30:06 pm »
See yer la, I want to erase his history out of our books, he was a complete and utter disaster like twit & twat.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline FowlerLeftFoot

• Kopite
  • There's Only One God
« Reply #136 on: January 8, 2011, 01:30:53 pm »
I can't wait to hear wat carra n gerrard have to say about this!
---------------------------
SPREAD THE LINK  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19149

Overseas Reds - use Anfields address  L4 0TH

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #137 on: January 8, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »
The only thing about my impression of Roy Hodgson that I reviewed during his reign here is his description as a 'nice guy'. Really not so sure about this.

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #138 on: January 8, 2011, 01:32:01 pm »

"Sorry. We messed up in appointing Hodgson."

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 8, 2011, 01:32:56 pm »
Good riddance Roy. Sorry, you may seem a nice man but you were never good enough, never understood us and quite frankly an arrogant bastard blaming everything but yourself. And you could NEVER be a Red like Rafa and Houllier who came from outside and embraced this club.

Good luck in your future endeavours hopefully adding more to your illustrious 35 year CV. All the best.

Goodbye.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #140 on: January 8, 2011, 01:34:53 pm »
I'd just like to say I am glad that Roy has left, and especially that King Kenny is back. It was clear to see that he was very much out of his depth and it is certainly the best for both parties that he has moved on.

However, I'd just like to say thank you Roy for trying, I certainly think he did, I've always thought he was a gentleman and I always will, and as I've said before, I'm glad he has left for the sake of his own health.

I don't think he was a nice guy at all-when it was clear he was way out of his depth we saw the real character of the man.

Best of luck in the future Roy.
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline Mike Doyle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 8, 2011, 01:43:01 pm »
Sorry Roy, it wasn't ever to be, would be lying to say I'm sad you've left but thanks for the effort anyway, just wasn't meant to be.

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #142 on: January 8, 2011, 01:44:20 pm »
NICE GUY!???!!! :no

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #143 on: January 8, 2011, 01:45:04 pm »
You do realise how petty and vindictive you sound?

You're the expert, I'd expect you'd know best.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 8, 2011, 01:46:02 pm »
People under pressure often show the worst side of their character, doing and saying anything to divert attention away from themselves. He deserves our pity rather than our hatred.

Nope, not at all. He deserves nothing. Sorry, that's just how I feel.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline StevePass

• TheBloodyBallWillYer?!
  • Anny Roader
  • Talks cock and bull.
« Reply #145 on: January 8, 2011, 01:47:03 pm »
Huh...Roy was a cock of a man.  Did not realise his ego was too big for this club.  His errors were even more immense. 

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 8, 2011, 01:47:21 pm »
Paul Tomkins summed it up for me in his piece a few days ago Hodgson: No-one to blame but himself.

"But it’s not just the league position. It’s the agricultural football. It’s the defeatist utterings. It’s the criticisms aimed at the fans. It’s the kowtowing to his mates in the LMA. It’s the constant self-protection and self-aggrandisement that saw him lie about the relationship between Benítez and Dalglish, not to mention the way Kenny was dismissed as a candidate for the job in the summer.

Though we’ve seen little of it, deep at heart Hodgson may well be a decent man. And at the right club, he’s more than a decent manager. But at the wrong club – where victories are expected more often than once in every three games – he can be dreadful."

In fairness Tomkins talks a lot of shit in that article. It is poorly written and resembles more of a rambling than a constructive piece of journalism. A decent quote at the end doesn't make up for his inconsistencies throughout. We were all disappointed with Liverpools results and most of us wanted Roy gone but bending the truth to suit your argument is simply poor journalism. God knows there is enough of that in the world already.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 8, 2011, 01:52:58 pm »
It was the Poisoned Chalice. He wasn't helped by losing the best holding CM in the world and the clubs most creative player (Yossi).
Compounded by absences of the decent footballers like Aurelio, Agger, Cole and the hangover of last season & the world cup.

Combine all that with his tactical incompetence and failure to either be able to or be inclined to impact on a game with appropriate substitutions it resulted in disaster for him and the club.

Good luck to him but if your reading this Roy, best you don't get a job as a pundit telling us all at half time how the managers are getting it wrong. There'll be complaints to Offtel.

Offline DoogyRev

• Anny Roader
  • Bending it in left, right and center
« Reply #148 on: January 8, 2011, 02:02:13 pm »
Do "nice guys" tell lies and insult supporters? Thanks Roy for being a difficult lesson my club had to learn. I hope it never happens again.
Quote from: Dmode101 on December 21, 2011, 04:56:33 PM
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

this all ends with a loud "we willl never walk alone!" war cry from all the players1

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 8, 2011, 02:05:23 pm »
It was the Poisoned Chalice. He wasn't helped by losing the best holding CM in the world and the clubs most creative player (Yossi).
Compounded by absences of the decent footballers like Aurelio, Agger, Cole and the hangover of last season & the world cup.

Think that's a fair point, John. Any manager would have struggled to replace that quality but I doubt to this extent. There was just no connection there and it always felt like a temporary role. Got a nice wedge in his pocket anyway.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Our No.9 never dives

• Anny Roader
  • Legend
« Reply #150 on: January 8, 2011, 02:10:19 pm »
Roy= Nice Guy, Average Coach

Offline h4ns3n

• Main Stander
  • Didn't watch 2nd half Istanbul - was shagging
    • Microsoft BI Consulting
Re: Thank you Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.
« Reply #151 on: January 8, 2011, 02:12:47 pm »
wish him good luck with other club but not against us...

Well if he takes Konchesky with him, then he'll need a shit load more than luck, especially against us! ;)
You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.

Offline Swedish_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: January 8, 2011, 02:15:52 pm »

They will say nothing, with the King in charge they know their place.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #153 on: January 8, 2011, 02:18:00 pm »
Thank you Roy. You were totally out of your depth and you thought that the usual route of siding with the media would save you. You thought that following their line would be received well - and it was. Outside Liverpool.

Sadly for you the Liverpool fanbase are more than clued up and saw through your spin.

However. Thank you for taking the job on. Many wouldn't and with the old owners too. You had a mountain to climb and you weren't up to it - but at least you tried.

Good wishes and very best of luck in your new appointment.

You never had my support - but that wasn't your fault - you were appointed by a complete c*nt and workd for fucking twats. You never had a chance really.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 8, 2011, 02:18:20 pm »
Not exactly TLW to sack a gaffer in less than a season, and he did top the Europa group using mostly second string players (though Ste got him out of a hole)

That whole idea of collective responsibility that is fundamental to TLW seems to escape Roy 'it wasn't my fault' Hodgson though didn't it?

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #155 on: January 8, 2011, 02:19:37 pm »
Wouldn't call him a nice guy by any means.

Good luck in future endeavours, though.

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #156 on: January 8, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »
Nice guy? You must be having a laugh! Good riddance to bad rubbish
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #157 on: January 8, 2011, 02:21:27 pm »
Goodbye Roy, you seem a very nice guy but i think the job was  just too big for you

sorry some of our 'fans' treated you like a Lepper

all the best and good luck in whatever job you may take on in the future.

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #158 on: January 8, 2011, 02:27:25 pm »
I'd expect a fairly hefty non-disclosure clause has been written into his compromise agreement. Doubt if we'll hear much from Hodgson himself - though no doubt his mates in the press will leak 'the truth' about his tenure here. I agree that the nice guy stuff wasn't borne out by his actions and utterings. Chippy and defensive and always ready to blame others.

If I'm honest I don't really care what he does from here on. I never really accepted that he was our manager anyway. He'll always be associated with H&G and Purslow for me.

Sorry Roy, see ya and don't let the door bang your arse on the way out.

Thank you Alan
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #159 on: January 8, 2011, 02:42:42 pm »
Nice guy?  Other words come to mind such as stubborn, incompetent, cowardly...

He has left a wake of destruction that now has to be sorted out.  :wanker
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.