Author Topic: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.  (Read 29901 times)

Offline Citizen Kane

• Anny Roader
  • The bereaved victim of a broken m key
Re: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.
« Reply #80 on: January 8, 2011, 12:31:50 pm »
I was watching Sky Sports News and I think it was fair. Phil Thompson seemed on the buzzer for me, I was disappointed with the venom which was directed at Roy from us lot as well. Paul Merson was being his usual self- our squad isn't good enough, your right, but it's capable of way more than losing at home to Wolves and Blackpool and only one away win.

The other pundits seemed to be pretty solid today as well. Some players really haven't been good enough and should be hanging their heads and our squad isn't good enough to compete with the top 5 at the moment. Didn't hear one of them blame Rafa.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 8, 2011, 12:32:02 pm »
Don't think he was a nice guy but he tried his best and it wasn't good enough. Good luck elsewhere.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 8, 2011, 12:32:13 pm »
Disappointed. I was for his appointment and thought it was the right move and that he would do a steady job.

But it wasn't to be. The tactics were not good enough, some of the comments were cringeworthy and while I agreed with some of his comments on the likes of Johnson, he shouldn't have aired those in public. He didn't seem to be able to motivate or inspire this overrated bunch of poor attitude players that we have at the club either.

Very uncomfortable about the fact that he didn't get a season and the fact that he was mocked so roundly, but as for his tenure here its hard to come up with reasons that justify him not being sacked that are Footballing ones.

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #83 on: January 8, 2011, 12:32:14 pm »
thanks for your efforts roy, good luck for the future.

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
  • 31/1/59 Sunderland 3-1 Wheeler Bimpson Morris
« Reply #84 on: January 8, 2011, 12:35:06 pm »
Best of luck in the future Roy, this just wasn't your club.
"Everybody at Anfield hopes that in the not too distant future Bill Shankly will lead the club back to the First Division - and also to a Cup Final victory."

Offline Dan_YNWA

• Anny Roader
  • RAWK's resident Muslim
« Reply #85 on: January 8, 2011, 12:35:33 pm »
Adios Roy, good luck for your future.
The King is back!

YNWA

Offline aliverbirduponmychest

• Kopite
  • A team that plays total football.
« Reply #86 on: January 8, 2011, 12:35:55 pm »
His comments about certain players, the squad and the fans don't make him a nice guy in my opinion.
Is right! Blaming the fans, Rafa, Kenny, Tom & George. Everybody but himself. Well it was you Roy that turfed out that shite football every week. F**k off and take Konchesky and Poulsen with ya.
SoS membership number 4158
JFT 96

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 8, 2011, 12:37:49 pm »
Is right! Blaming the fans, Rafa, Kenny, Tom & George. Everybody but himself. Well it was you Roy that turfed out that shite football every week. F**k off and take Konchesky and Poulsen with ya.

To be fair it wasn't just Roy's fault, but the crucial thing that stops him being either a nice guy or right for this club is that he never took any blame himself.

Offline FowlerLeftFoot

• Kopite
  • There's Only One God
« Reply #88 on: January 8, 2011, 12:39:13 pm »
Best of luck Roy, I hope u will take over at old trafford.
---------------------------
SPREAD THE LINK  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19149

Overseas Reds - use Anfields address  L4 0TH

Offline NaoiDeag

• Main Stander
  • Strange days indeed
« Reply #89 on: January 8, 2011, 12:44:01 pm »
Disappointed. I was for his appointment and thought it was the right move and that he would do a steady job.

But it wasn't to be. The tactics were not good enough, some of the comments were cringeworthy and while I agreed with some of his comments on the likes of Johnson, he shouldn't have aired those in public. He didn't seem to be able to motivate or inspire this overrated bunch of poor attitude players that we have at the club either.

Very uncomfortable about the fact that he didn't get a season and the fact that he was mocked so roundly, but as for his tenure here its hard to come up with reasons that justify him not being sacked that are Footballing ones.

Big of you to admit you were for his appointment. Haven't heard many admit that. I wasn't one, but always thought that once he got the job he deserved a crack at it.

Reckon some of his comments were misguided, but I don't think he ever meant to be malicious or offensive. I disagree about the Johnson thing though. He was playing absolutely terribly before those comments, he got it together then for a couple of games after he was slated, gone back to muck again though in the main.

Not exactly TLW to sack a gaffer in less than a season, and he did top the Europa group using mostly second string players (though Ste got him out of a hole)

But. There is a bare minimum in terms of league performances, and we've not been getting that. For whatever reason. And if we had a second half of the season that matched the first, we could very well have ended up in the relegation battle FFS. Risky to change manager now, risky to bring Kenny in at this point, and with 2 massive games in the next couple of weeks (though every game is massive for us now). But it'd have been more risky to stick I'm afraid.

Also we've had three or four opportunities to get back in the thick of things (ie after the Chelsea game) and failed to take them. Can't miss those chances with such regularity. Suggested things were not likely to improve at all over the season, and that would have been serious trouble.

Fingers crossed for Kenny. If it works.............

I nearly hoped there for a sec.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 8, 2011, 12:45:57 pm »
I didn't care about him before he came here. Had a fairly poor opinion of his managerial skills, but no idea how he was as a person - apparently, he was a nice guy. Well, good. I thought.

I was wrong.

I don't think he's a nice person. Thought he came of as a prick to be fair. Rude, passive-aggressive - in general, not a nice guy.

At the moment, I'd rather NOT think of Roy, at all.

Hopefully I never will again..

@Yvanicuzz

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 8, 2011, 12:47:55 pm »
I just don't agree with the nice guy thing. He is a classic case of having a  passive aggressive nature. He says not nice things about people but likes to be liked. When things go against him he pulls the victim card or plays the blame game.. He was never Liverpool in fact he was never a real leader. Our great managers talked about we and us and did not distance themselves from the players performances even if they weren't the close to the players type manager.

All the great managers don't care if they are perceived as nice or not. Was never an issue for our great managers not an issue for Hiddink, Mourinho, SAF etc. The whole Hodgson is a gentleman nice guy thing is just crap. He is a weak self serving pathetic type man who should never have been given the honour of leading a team onto Anfield as the manager of the home team.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #92 on: January 8, 2011, 12:48:06 pm »
Best of luck in your next job, btw he wasnt very nice at all, to us anyway.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #93 on: January 8, 2011, 12:55:34 pm »
He is not a nice bloke, as we will find out in the coming weeks and months when he is in the press slagging us off. I hope those wishing him well are prepared for that, he wont be wishing us well and he will be whinging about how it wasnt his fault, it will be all ours and the squad Rafa left behind, wont be his, none of it will be his fault.

I just hope when it happens people dont get to annoyed over it, just expect it and accept its going to happen. Laugh it off and say to yourself fuck off Roy we & you really know the truth.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline HFD

• info.com
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Will we ever learn....
    • The Truth.
« Reply #94 on: January 8, 2011, 12:55:51 pm »
However, I'd just like to say thank you Roy for trying, I certainly think he did, I've always thought he was a gentleman and I always will, and as I've said before, I'm glad he has left for the sake of his own health.

Best of luck in the future Roy.
Nice guy my arse.
A petty, small minded, vindictive, self serving horrible little man.

Goodbye
Good riddance
And fuck off :wanker

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 8, 2011, 12:58:11 pm »
...I think people are being way too easy on him in here.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 8, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »
...I think people are being way too easy on him in here.

Have you seen the comments on this site for the last few months?

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 8, 2011, 01:03:27 pm »

Yes, and a lot of them were merited. But in this thread right now, people are going way too easy on him. He's suddenly gone back to being a 'nice guy'. He was anything but a nice guy while here.
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline The China Fox

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #98 on: January 8, 2011, 01:03:38 pm »

Indeed. Plainly out of his depth, but doesn't merit vitriol.
This threads gone downhill fast.
It promised so much but failed dismally.

Offline kinofi

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #99 on: January 8, 2011, 01:03:39 pm »
ROY HODGSON FOR ENGLAND!!

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 8, 2011, 01:04:29 pm »
I agree. Fair play for taking it on but he just didn't get it. I wish people would show a bit of humility and stop abusing the fella, the only people to blame are now long departed.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 8, 2011, 01:05:46 pm »
Yes, and a lot of them were merited. But in this thread right now, people are going way too easy on him. He's suddenly gone back to being a 'nice guy'. He was anything but a nice guy while here.

He probably couldn't hack the pressure and as such, came out with silly comments when under pressure that were ill advised.

As Mouth said, there will probably be some comments he will make where people can have their view over, but I don't think we should be sending anymore abuse his way as he has had plenty of it so far.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 8, 2011, 01:05:55 pm »
Nice guy my arse.
A petty, small minded, vindictive, self serving horrible little man.

You do realise how petty and vindictive you sound?
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 8, 2011, 01:05:58 pm »
I reckon he could do a job at West Ham.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #104 on: January 8, 2011, 01:06:34 pm »
Indeed. Plainly out of his depth, but doesn't merit vitriol.
Wait till he is giving exclusives to the s*n slagging off Liverpool.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #105 on: January 8, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »
not his fault he was offered the job and you can't blame him for taking it.

the job was clearly too big for him and the circumstances re ownership didn't help. however you show your true character in times of adversity and in this regard and his response to the situation was very poor, showing he neither had the skill or personality for a club like this.

he probably waited his whole life for a job like this and is now probably wishing he never got the chance.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #106 on: January 8, 2011, 01:07:03 pm »
Is Mike Kelly going too?  I'd imagine so.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #107 on: January 8, 2011, 01:08:40 pm »
Nice guy? not so sure about that, his interviews over the last 6 months blaming every man and his dog apart from himself were at times more infuriating than the results themselves. Having said that,dont blame him for giving it a go, its the people who put him in charge deserve the brunt of the blame......Err best of luck Roy....I suppose....
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 8, 2011, 01:08:42 pm »
He probably couldn't hack the pressure and as such, came out with silly comments when under pressure that were ill advised.

As Mouth said, there will probably be some comments he will make where people can have their view over, but I don't think we should be sending anymore abuse his way as he has had plenty of it so far.

No. Just no. He came out with comment after comment after comment with each one appearing to be even more smug, deluded and stupid than the last. I would be more than happy to have thanked him for his effort and wished him best in his future endeavors but after the way he acted while at this club, he should be getting no respect.

Yeah I agree it is harsh that people may be continuing their abuse of him and it should probably stop but we shouldn't be praising him either.
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 8, 2011, 01:10:30 pm »
When he came, I didn't feel he was the right man, but I didn't have anything against him. Now I do in that he has insulted the club, the fans, several of the players, the former manager and more. I don't feel any sympathy for him nor do I feel that he is a "nice guy". I couldn't be happier to see a Liverpool manager gone.

We said that we needed someone to unite the club and Roy has done that. I don't believe there is one true red out there who isn't glad that he's gone.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 01:12:38 pm by Red in Korea »
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 8, 2011, 01:11:29 pm »

You were mad for thinking that quite frankly; why you thought he would be a good replacement for Rafa is quite staggering.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #111 on: January 8, 2011, 01:12:00 pm »
Sorry, if he was such a nice guy who should of resigned 2 months ago.  I'm not going to make excuses for him now!  Just sounds hypocrtical

Offline Rafaroy

• Main Stander
  • RED4EVER YNWA
« Reply #112 on: January 8, 2011, 01:12:40 pm »
From one Roy to another Roy, thanks for getting out.  You new as well as anyone, that the discision to go was best for the club and best for you.

All the best for your future.  :wave

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 8, 2011, 01:13:02 pm »
We said that we needed someone to unite the club and Roy has done that. I don't believe there is one tru red out there who isn't glad that he's gone.

Oh there are, there are plenty of idiots still out there.

You were mad for thinking that quite frankly; why you thought he would be a good replacement for Rafa is quite staggering.

Exactly.
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 8, 2011, 01:13:12 pm »

I didn't want Rafa sacked. I wanted him to have another season.

When Rafa went though, I thought Hodgson was a good manager to take charge based on his performance at Fulham, where I did think he did do a good job.

Clearly a mistake on my part. Just an opinion.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 8, 2011, 01:13:18 pm »
Yeah I agree it is harsh that people may be continuing their abuse of him and it should probably stop but we shouldn't be praising him either.

Is anyone praising him?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline HFD

• info.com
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Will we ever learn....
    • The Truth.
« Reply #116 on: January 8, 2011, 01:13:27 pm »
You do realise how petty and vindictive you sound?
Hardly.
Merely passing comment how our ex manager has conducted himself over the last 6 months oh self righteous one.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 8, 2011, 01:14:31 pm »
To be honest, I think he was just so out of his depth, he said a lot of things that just didn't make sense.

Agreed.

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #118 on: January 8, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »
He never really understood what was going on, didn't get on well with the fans and made some interesting signings. If it wasn't the results that did for him it was his odd press conferences.

A great manager for the likes of Fulham, Wigan teams like that. But for Liverpool? I don't think it was ever going to work out.
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 8, 2011, 01:15:43 pm »
When he came, I didn't feel he was the right man, but I didn't have anything against him. Now I do in that he has insulted the club, the fans, several of the players, the former manager and more. I don't feel any sympathy for him nor do I feel that he is a "nice guy". I couldn't be happier to see a Liverpool manager gone.

We said that we needed someone to unite the club and Roy has done that. I don't believe there is one true red out there who isn't glad that he's gone.

I might add that despite the above, I don't condone the OTT personal abuse that has gone on. But sympathy? Nah.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish