Author Topic: Liverpool Have Earned Right To This Belief...  (Read 9891 times)

Offline larrylimestreet

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool Have Earned Right To This Belief...
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 11:53:54 pm »
'Liverpool have a history no other club can match' Gonna have to see how they fit this
into a play at The Royal Court in October. A History unmatched is something worth shouting about.

Offline SmallwoodRed

• Kopite
  • remember april 1989
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 07:11:32 am »
And what 2005 and 2007 have given us is the belief that the road back to the very top is not one which is impossible to travel.

Yes i agree.
While the article makes some good points i.e. our title challenges have been few and far between, it rather seems to paint a picture of a side that has done nothing in the last 20 years since winning the title and how world dominance is (for anyone under 30) a distant dream.
He seems to forget that since 2001 we have won a fair few trophies (probably only outdone by united and chelsea in that period actually) and from 2005-2009 were probably the most feared team in the champions league. Its hardly been a complete drought.

Offline liverpool_21

• Main Stander
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 08:22:12 am »
That's a brilliant article and touches on how immense Liverpool FC is. We will always be there!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 10:36:57 am »
Yes i agree.
While the article makes some good points i.e. our title challenges have been few and far between, it rather seems to paint a picture of a side that has done nothing in the last 20 years since winning the title and how world dominance is (for anyone under 30) a distant dream.
He seems to forget that since 2001 we have won a fair few trophies (probably only outdone by united and chelsea in that period actually) and from 2005-2009 were probably the most feared team in the champions league. Its hardly been a complete drought.

I would suggest he is saying that is how other fans view us, thanks to the Sly Sports generation.  We are still easily the fourth most successful team of the past 20 years in terms of trophies, even if it is a poor fourth.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Squinks

• Main Stander
  • Just a fat Kyrgiakos
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 10:47:57 am »
In order to get to the top we have to get much better and much more efficient. I can see how we can do that on a 5 year view but it isnt going to happen over night.

...we need to get a whole lot better.

I'm not sure what your point is. Of course we need to get better to win the league but based on our form in the 2nd half of last season, there isn't an awful lot of work that needs to be done to get us challenging. I don't necessarily think we'll win the league next year but your pessimism seems excessive and unfounded.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2011, 10:58:06 am »
Flattery will get you anywhere :P

Made me a little melancholy reading that actually; back to my childhood when last minute winners/equalisers were taken for granted - I didn't know any different, it was what I'd been brought up on. A time when dinner was on the table at 5pm because my dad went out to work in the evening at 6pm, when my mum was always there, when my mum had a perm and specs the size of Brazil, when my brothers were shit-bags who either beat me up or I beat up, when school was shite & the wind blew in through the broken windows, when the playground fights were a weekly event, when the bus ride to school had me leaving the house at 7:45am with my mates, when you could get 2 black-jacks for 1p, when a healthy option was mince & chips and when when the utter dominance of LFC was just as routine as those daily events. When I took it all for granted.

This past 20 years have taught me one thing, never take anything for granted. Never. I can't wait for us to win the league again (& it will happen). I just hope that future generations grow up spoiled like I was.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline red_moon

• Main Stander
  • The red side of the moon
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2011, 11:10:26 am »
a very good OP
very bias, but im not complaining :)

Offline Old Triangle

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2011, 01:26:32 pm »
That was then, this is now.

Back then there were few Clubs that could outbid us for a player.  In fact many players came to us for less.

These days there's a dozen teams that will splash more cash than us and offer CL to boot.

We have a right to support Liverpool Football Club.   That is all.

Surely that article made you well up a little though -  with pride or... with something...? Even a little?

Anyway - regardless of where we finish this year, with Kenny at the helm again - everything just feels right. To me it does anyway.

That's the biggest buzz I'm on at the moment - that feeling of optimism and even if things don't go our way - Kenny is back! There's a certain sacred feel to the club again - that I haven't really felt as much since I was a kid.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2011, 02:08:07 pm »
Saw this the other day and a fantastic article!
Although its considered a vice- I have to be honest and say that it fills me with immense pride to be a supporter of our club.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Loola

• A fan of The Beautiful Game since its inception. So that's 1992 then.....
  • Main Stander
  • Neutral & Nice
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2011, 02:12:25 pm »
Every big club has right to believe it's "their season" in August every year.  That is what makes good supporters.  What's the use in being negative about everything?  It doesn't bode well on the terraces.
I won't moan about referees.  If we aren't good enough to win despite these bastards then we aren't good enough to win.

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2011, 02:18:37 pm »
Every big club has right to believe it's "their season" in August every year.  That is what makes good supporters.  What's the use in being negative about everything?  It doesn't bode well on the terraces.

I agree, but what's the point of starting a new year if you're not optimistic, no matter the size of your club?   :)  Doesn't matter if you're a big or small team.   ;)

What's the use in being negative about everything?

Ever seen the in game threads?   :o  Go check out the transfer forum too....
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Loola

• A fan of The Beautiful Game since its inception. So that's 1992 then.....
  • Main Stander
  • Neutral & Nice
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 02:54:08 pm »
I agree, but what's the point of starting a new year if you're not optimistic, no matter the size of your club?   :) 

Very true!  :)
I won't moan about referees.  If we aren't good enough to win despite these bastards then we aren't good enough to win.

Offline SteveGerrardFan01

• Posts firsts, thinks later, if at all - utter cock.
  • Anny Roader
  • Glory, round the fields of Anfield road!
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 07:42:18 pm »
I've been fortunate enough to be at Anfield to witness the presentation of 5 League Titles (83/4/6/8/90). Like many others have said on this thread, I also remember Arsenal snatching the title in 1989. That more than any was the night Liverpool fans showed their true class as they stayed behind to applaud Arsenal when they were presented with the title. That simply wouldn't happen at Old Trafford, Etihad Stadium, Stamford Bridge etc.

Excellent article which puts the likes of City and Chelsea into perspective. Peter Kenyon promised in 2006 that Chelsea would achieve global domination by 2014, yet, despite the hundreds of millions spent, they have still not conquered their own continent.

I envy you... They've never lifted a league trophy in my lifetime.  :butt Please make it the season Kenny, you have the jigsaw and are finding the pieces...  ;D
Suarez, Carroll, Henderson, Adam, Downing, Doni, Enrique + Kenny = Future's bright!!

Chelsea aren't killing football. They're merely vultures eating away at the carcus of the sport it used to be.