Author Topic: are we back to the (exciting) 70's?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline harvey-tuttle

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • "It's not where you're from, it's where you're at"
    • ELSON
are we back to the (exciting) 70's?
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:29:31 am »
just a moment to ask that our support doesnt let us get polarised by frustration or expectations or media or tv pundits or whoever...surely what (should?) seperates us from the rest is the ability to hold together in good times and bad "though y-our dreams be tossed and blown" ??

and I have a feeling that this season may take us back to the early seventies
for example 72-73 when we won the league and UEFA..

- we had some frustrating times, especially when the ref ruled out a Tosh goal at arse...the season before to deny us our first league since 66...i remember being at highbury and being devastated that we had come so close,

-but also having faith and loyalty and belief that our manager would do his utmost for us...(and you only have to look at the words of Sammy Lee and Kenny to know that Rafa is a valued man - by those we value..if you dont know it already..

-those days of coming from behind to win the league and winning that Uefa trophy (we could at least have the "honour" of being the first name on the Europa league trophy...

- Shanks always drummed it into us and the team, never give up, and here we are only months after thrashing almost everyone in sight beign  done down by even some of our own fans?

IF this "phase" ends and I am confident that without this injury curse we would be top of the league and will be top when it stops..this can still be a great season, and I am glad to read SG coming out with a positive response (wanting to win the "other" trophy), ..we may well have lost some "fans" along the way, but being LIVERPOOL is not just about winning its about showing strength and unity in times of adversity ...

this season can be another 72-73?  focus on the possibilites not the failures, hold together like true REDS and simply be supporters..

Freelance Subversive..
may the RED force be with you...
YNWA-J4t96

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
Re: are we back to the (exciting) 70's?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:38:17 am »
I don't think losing some 'fans' is a bad idea. Hopefully some of the match goes go missing as well, really starting to piss me off going the game recently. All I seem to do is argue with someone screaming at Lucas or who ever, what's the point! Look forward to the road to Germany and concentrating on qualifying to next seasons Champions league. I think going out is a blessing in disguise as we know now we can't just win it to get back in it, we need to perform well in the league. Unfortunately I can't see us winning the league from here, obviously I would love it but we have gave the teams to far an advantage. However I do agree, barring injuries, we would be top because I believe our XI is equal if not better than Chelsea's. Watching United now they are not the same team. Arsenal can't play bad and win, they always need to play well. Tottenham have a few good players, Defoe, Palacios, Woodgate; however beyond that they are top 6 players. Think I am rambling on here about other teams but I do agree our starting 11 is excellent, however the best we will see from them is January onwards, with the recent injury curse. Fingers crossed am wrong though and we go on and win everything, including the grand national!

Offline graffspider

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:59:34 am »
If we shed a few know-nothing 'fans' then great.

I lost count of the cockneys purporting to be Liverpool fans phoning into 606 calling for Rafa's head, saying he's wasted the millions given to him, not made any good signings, is the worst manager Liverpool have ever had (they must have stuck a pin in the 'DIY find yourself a premiership team to support wall chart' after Souness left).

These are people who call themselves Liverpool fans and not only read The S*n, they also believe everything the shit-rag says. I had an argument with one online about Rafa's transfer record - I pointed him to a Paul Tomkins piece, he pointed me to a S*n photo "article" of "Rafa's Worst Flops Ever!!!". You couldn't fucking make it up.

In fairness there were a couple who had a brain in there heads and clearly knew at least something of what they were talking about, but for the majority there really is no point in trying to make the c*nts see sense or the bigger picture. It's like trying to reason with a 4 year-old who just keeps repeating the same word it's just heard over and over again. If some of these cretins fuck off because of our bad run then all the better. For me it would be a silver lining to a difficult season.

Offline stevie_b

• Main Stander
  • <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transi
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:19:15 am »

I lost count of the cockneys purporting to be Liverpool fans phoning into 606 calling for Rafa's head, saying he's wasted the millions given to him, not made any good signings, is the worst manager Liverpool have ever had (they must have stuck a pin in the 'DIY find yourself a Premier League team to support wall chart' after Souness left).

These are people who call themselves Liverpool fans and not only read The S*n, they also believe everything the shit-rag says. I had an argument with one online about Rafa's transfer record - I pointed him to a Paul Tomkins piece, he pointed me to a S*n photo "article" of "Rafa's Worst Flops Ever!!!". You couldn't fucking make it up.

In fairness there were a couple who had a brain in there heads and clearly knew at least something of what they were talking about, but for the majority there really is no point in trying to make the c*nts see sense or the bigger picture. It's like trying to reason with a 4 year-old who just keeps repeating the same word it's just heard over and over again. If some of these cretins fuck off because of our bad run then all the better. For me it would be a silver lining to a difficult season.

Agreed
come on without, come on with in, you ain't seen nothing like the mighty Emlyn

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:24:46 am »
I'm afraid the amount of knobs among our support just resemble the amount of knobs in general society. Missing out on the latter CL stages won't change any of that. Back to the 70s? You wish.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:00:15 pm »
Football, in general, will never re-visit the 70s. If you haven't got loads of dosh then you can forget challenging for anything meaningful. Not like that in the 70s - money meant something then but not to the extent it does now.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:15:18 pm »
I'm afraid the amount of knobs among our support just resemble the amount of knobs in general society. Missing out on the latter CL stages won't change any of that. Back to the 70s? You wish.

Spot on. Though to be honest; I don't care much about them - why should I?
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline harvey-tuttle

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • ELSON
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 12:17:10 pm »

yes of course I do, but our supporters dont have to become like all the "dosh" (cockney?) dominated morons..we can maintain the mentality that was evident on & off the pitch and hope for an against the odds Pl / UEFA double..so many defeatists ..conditioned by box-llike thinkers...agree with you that this weakness permeates through society but we were always different..but of course the "poular masses" think they know best because capitalism is all they know..
Freelance Subversive..
YNWA-J4t96

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 12:19:25 pm »
Football, in general, will never re-visit the 70s. If you haven't got loads of dosh then you can forget challenging for anything meaningful. Not like that in the 70s - money meant something then but not to the extent it does now.
True

Offline harvey-tuttle

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • ELSON
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:35:59 pm »

shame that so many cant see past the "dosh" ...its an element but is not the be all of "us" ...(I wionder how quickly people read posts on here?) although the main essence of what I wrote has been lost in the response (that is the "feeling" of "no surrender" ...and that we were twice in a "double winning" season 73 & 76 winning the league and UEFA .and we might regain that "excitement" with luck again) ..was a vain attempt to distract us away from the same tired polarised attack of the pro & anti brigade which will again be stirred up by our enemies, media, pundits and even some of our own "fans" and even a few "legends" on RAWK & other Lfc websites for whatever selfish agenda some might have.....there you go, unfortunately, my point is proven ..negatively!
Freelance Subversive..
YNWA-J4t96

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 06:16:26 pm »

I lost count of the cockneys purporting to be Liverpool fans phoning into 606 calling for Rafa's head, saying he's wasted the millions given to him, not made any good signings, is the worst manager Liverpool have ever had (they must have stuck a pin in the 'DIY find yourself a Premier League team to support wall chart' after Souness left).

I can't argue with any of that, great post
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 06:24:22 pm »
I'm with you Harvey. Tide is slowly turning, undefeated in four now.

Hopefully catch up a couple of points on Chelsea this weekend, and a couple more by xmas, it's down to single figures.

We'll finish above United and Arsenal NO FUCKING BOTHER

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:50 pm »
To say we'll finish above united and arsenal is a tad optimisic, but our season is by no means over
I for one welcome our new insect overloads