Author Topic: Emre Can  (Read 289842 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Emre Can
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 01:24:47 am »
Anyone else see his passing as a problem?
More than happy with him putting in a shift and disrupting the oppposition but it's hard to know if his passing and ability on the ball is ever going to be good enough for us.
We should obviously keep him next season though - there's never been any sense in not

Not much different from Henderson to be honest, out of all our midfielders Lallana is probably the best passer of the ball but wouldn't describe any of them as great, Lallanas got good intricate creative at times short passing while Can and Henderson have the ability to play great long passes, both though when it comes to their shorter psssing do not have the variety creativity or intricacy in tight situations. When unsung though the midfield three does its best to make up for each individuals limitations, but a creative dm has been à call for many for the exact same reason you speak of Can, it applies to Henderson as well and I wonder what we need more out of that and a more maurading midfielder in the ilk of Wini who could occupy the postions in front of the dm.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 01:47:05 am »
His aggression has been vital these last few games.  Good to see.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 02:29:32 am »
Great player, great game and in great form.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 07:59:40 am »
That moment early in the game where he was in a 50/50 tussle with the WBA defender and threw him to the floor...we've missed that. Haven't had a hard bastard on the team since Gerrard. Things like that matter in games like this against yard dogs, the psychology is important. It lets them know early in the game we're not the ones who are going to be bullied, we'll be doing the bullying today thank you very much. Hendo, Milner and Lucas can hold their own but they never take the physical battle to the opposition the way Gerrard did. More of the same V Palace please Emre!

Yeah, for someone who's as built as him, I haven't seen him do it all that much for us but against Pulis' West Brom side, he needed to and he did it well. Like you say, more of the same please.

His ability to carry the ball reminds me a bit of a younger Yaya Toure.

Yep. Again, wish he he would do it more because he's really good at it.

Just needs to bring his game together now consistently.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2017, 08:02:58 am »
We need to get the contract sorted ASAP. I can see us regretting it if we don't.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2017, 08:41:16 am »
Around February I was thinking Can was on his way out, that for all the quality he undoubtedly has , he lacks the consistency to build on it and stake a claim for a starting spot even when Henderson was out. But credit where it's due, he's been consistent and consistently among the best 3 players in almost every game over the latter two months.

Quite a turnaround,  and hopefully it's more a case of him finding his own pace and role in the team and building on that confidence, rather than a good streak at the right time.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Online plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2017, 08:54:10 am »
Around February I was thinking Can was on his way out, that for all the quality he undoubtedly has , he lacks the consistency to build on it and stake a claim for a starting spot even when Henderson was out. But credit where it's due, he's been consistent and consistently among the best 3 players in almost every game over the latter two months.

Quite a turnaround,  and hopefully it's more a case of him finding his own pace and role in the team and building on that confidence, rather than a good streak at the right time.

He has credited it much to being without the injuries now for a while himself. Apparently he was playing injured for a few months. Very similar to our captain did before, and we offered him patience to see him come through it all. Many in here didn't do the same for Can. He was for a majority just awful and needed selling. Sure, he wasn't good at times. It was hard to watch and difficult to understand at times. But sure it must make sense, that when he said he was feeling good again and without the injuries all of a sudden his game started picking up form again.

I'm still on the fence for his long-term role in the club. But we'd be fools not to extend his contract.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2017, 10:35:59 am »
Just watched the highlights of the game again, he won numerous key headers from their set pieces, he's very much needed in games like this. Think we will get his contract sorted, makes sense for everyone involved.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2017, 11:14:46 am »
He's stepped up hugely. A few months ago most would've been fine to let him go but it would be madness to do so now.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2017, 11:24:36 am »
Looked really good the last few weeks. I'm not so sold as everyone else that we should just be throwing money at the lad to stay though. He still takes way too long on the ball and has slow reactions. If Hendo and Lallana are fit, does he even play? Get his contract sorted if his demands are realistic but he really isn't a guy we should massively overpay to keep at all costs.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2017, 11:47:52 am »
If Hendo and Lallana are fit, does he even play?

Are we not allowed a good squad?!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2017, 11:48:50 am »
He's a narky bastard as well. We need that.
We are Liverpool!

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2017, 12:25:44 pm »
Since the start of this season, I felt that Can's issue was tempo. He took too long to play a pass and our buildup suffers as a result. It is this same reason that makes him a much better player now, as he has had time to get up to speed and fine tune his response to and understanding of the team.

I like Can a lot. He is energetic, indefatigable, strong, well-rounded (in terms of having both defensive and offensive skills) and he seems to have the character of a winner, a mental resilience that other young players may not have. I think he is capable of very good passing too, but he has chosen take less risks. Remember that backheel to Coutinho last season? Or that weighted throughball for Origi's equaliser against Dortmund? So no, I reject those comments claiming that Can is incapable of good passing. Rather, he doesn't attempt those passes very often, and with good reason.
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2017, 12:27:56 pm »
Are we not allowed a good squad?!

Of course but you're salary has to be relative to your status doesn't it? If he's a squad player and still very young he shouldn't be earning a fortune now. Otherwise what the hell are you going to have to pay him to negotiate again in a few years and what are the other lads thinking who will be getting less?

Massively overpaying squad players is a mistake we've made in the past, no?
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2017, 12:38:56 pm »

Seems like we're damned if we do, damned if we don't.

If we do over pay for squad players we could end up with another Balotelli situation where we can't shift garbage because no one else is willing to match their wages.

But if we dont we end up in situations where we're going for the title with an excellent first XI but no back up. It's not great watching the run in where our first XI are running on fumes and having to bring on David N'Gog in 09 or Aspas in 14. Meanwhile our rivals who are overpaying their squad players get to bring on Berbatov & Tevez or Dzeko & Milner.

I think in this day and age it's a risk you have to take. It's shit if you finish mid table with all these expensive players not contributing, but if we do get our act together and put together a title/European challenge these overpaid squad players are worth every penny.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2017, 12:40:40 pm »
Of course but you're salary has to be relative to your status doesn't it? If he's a squad player and still very young he shouldn't be earning a fortune now. Otherwise what the hell are you going to have to pay him to negotiate again in a few years and what are the other lads thinking who will be getting less?

Emre Can is more than just a squad player.

without this turning into a debate about Henderson vs Can or whatever, but its with Emre Can that this team should be looking forward regards that number 6 spot.  He's a beast of a player.

Hope that contract is sorted. They won't give into mad demands of course, and that's fair enough, but isn't part of the issue that he wanted some assurance that his role in this team is a particular one (i.e. as a number 6) anyway. 

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2017, 12:42:31 pm »

Your salary is what you negotiate. If his contract is winding down he has leverage because of the amount he could command on the open market.
If we had to go an sign a German international midfielder just coming into his prime who has 3 years experience in a top league on the open market what would we have to pay?

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2017, 12:44:22 pm »
Put him in his best position and he looks a much better player - who'd have thought it!

He's a DM, that's where he should be used.

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2017, 12:50:44 pm »
Put him in his best position and he looks a much better player - who'd have thought it!

Wasn't he playing box to box with Lucas in the DM role? He seemed to have the license to go further forward than 6/Henderson role. He just had the diligence to track back and defend well.
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline seal75

• Kopite
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2017, 12:52:17 pm »

He's not a DMat all, he's a box to box player who appears to know how to track back and defend.
Lucas was playing the DM position yesterday, Can was the number 8 alongside Gini.
"Ni pour, ni contre. Bien au contraire!", Coluche.

Offline CRAZY HORSE EMLYN

• Lives for twats
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2017, 12:52:54 pm »
telt yeez :)
he'll be captain next.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2017, 12:53:49 pm »
Wasn't he playing box to box with Lucas in the DM role? He seemed to have the license to go further forward than 6/Henderson role. He just had the diligence to track back and defend well.

Yeah that's true.  But his strengths are defensive.  He wasn't that good going forwards yesterday (he was OK in that regard), but defensively he was really impressive.

He always looks best in the game where we need those defensive qualities - against the big sides, Everton, West Brom away - tough games where his power, tackling etc can make a real difference.

Against the weaker sides at home where we are dominating possession, I'm not sure he'd get in our best XI.  But that's why we have a squad, for different players for different games. 

The criticism he got a few months ago was crazy.  Then again people probably went OTT in the praise over the summer. 

He's not a DMat all, he's a box to box player who appears to know how to track back and defend.
Lucas was playing the DM position yesterday, Can was the number 8 alongside Gini.

I've answered that above.

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2017, 01:10:39 pm »
Won a lot of people over of late, if he can keep it up consistently, he is going to be a great asset to us. Has a lot of traits that we really lack without him too.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2017, 01:19:07 pm »
Yeah that's true.  But his strengths are defensive.  He wasn't that good going forwards yesterday (he was OK in that regard), but defensively he was really impressive.

I maintain that it is just his more obvious qualities! He seems to have a good cross on him and could shoot more. Backheels too! (to Coutinho for his assist; Sane for Germany, etc). I see him as a box to box midfielder because of his potential. Also, I prefer DMs with cooler heads and perceptive passing, the way Dembele plays it for Tottenham or Busquets for Barca (although I do love a Mascherano). I feel Can does more for our overall play on the run and up the field, and is more effective tackling back rather than anticipating the approach of the opponent.

He always looks best in the game where we need those defensive qualities - against the big sides, Everton, West Brom away - tough games where his power, tackling etc can make a real difference.

Definitely. Full agreement. That's as much character as physique and it's a woefully underrated quality when the press are saying 'get rid' and imagining how good another player could be from highlight reels alone.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2017, 01:34:15 pm »
Emre has had to put up with some very rough treatment of late. Two things emerge - opposing sides recognise that he is an important player who needs taking out or unnerving, also that he has a pretty decent temperament under provocation. This guy is much better than Henderson was at 23 and should be an integral part of our team as we progress under Klopp.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2017, 02:09:21 pm »
Improved.  Waiting to see if it's a purple patch or he'll go back to how he was.  Make him earn that new contract, not rely on a few games to suddenly go back to being dog-awful for us again once it's secured.  End of the season.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2017, 02:13:05 pm »
I maintain that it is just his more obvious qualities! He seems to have a good cross on him and could shoot more. Backheels too! (to Coutinho for his assist; Sane for Germany, etc). I see him as a box to box midfielder because of his potential. Also, I prefer DMs with cooler heads and perceptive passing, the way Dembele plays it for Tottenham or Busquets for Barca (although I do love a Mascherano). I feel Can does more for our overall play on the run and up the field, and is more effective tackling back rather than anticipating the approach of the opponent.

Can certainly can pass, cross, create etc.  But I personally feel his best attributes are defensively.

I wouldn't say he is better than Henderson at passing, scoring, assisting.

Which is why if they played together, I'd always have Henderson as the box to box and Can as the deeper midfielder.

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2017, 02:13:27 pm »
No one even knew he was playing through injury for a while.  He didn't mention it, didn't make a fuss of it, even when getting criticised from all directions.

Put the team first. Played through injury because he was needed.

Now he's over those injuries he's just getting better and better.  Delighted for him and full respect too.

Offline asim173

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2017, 02:28:27 pm »
Think he should be given the DM role and allow to get better playing there and not being shifted around.
He's played CB under Rodgers and as a full back with Germany, hopefully he can make the DM spot his own.

With a fully fit squad would be get into the team however? Hendo-Gini-Lallana behind Coutinho-Firmino-Mane is what I'd imagine Klopp playing with everyone fit.

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2017, 02:46:02 pm »
Think he should be given the DM role and allow to get better playing there and not being shifted around.
He's played CB under Rodgers and as a full back with Germany, hopefully he can make the DM spot his own.

With a fully fit squad would be get into the team however? Hendo-Gini-Lallana behind Coutinho-Firmino-Mane is what I'd imagine Klopp playing with everyone fit.

I think he should play where he's told to play

Offline asim173

• Main Stander
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2017, 03:45:41 pm »
I think he should play where he's told to play

Well yeah, but to get the best out of him for the team.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2017, 05:29:48 pm »
We need to get the contract sorted ASAP. I can see us regretting it if we don't.
We'll sort it at the end of the season. No point putting in unnecessary distractions

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »
Anyone else see his passing as a problem?
More than happy with him putting in a shift and disrupting the oppposition but it's hard to know if his passing and ability on the ball is ever going to be good enough for us.
We should obviously keep him next season though - there's never been any sense in not

Yeah, Can in midfield is an extremely frustrating player to watch. He looked very good sitting as a DM last year, but Klopp seemingly doesn't ask much of that position in terms of passing. Further forward I think he's been poor. His decision making is poor and the weight of his passes is too often poor as well. He looks good marauding forward with the ball, but very rarely is there enough space to do so. He's better defensively, but I think he's worse than Lucas at giving away silly fouls when it isn't necessary. I like his passion and his aggression, but he's one of the first players in the squad I'd be looking to upgrade.

Offline Mark Wilson

• Kemlynite
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2017, 08:01:53 pm »
Brilliant yesterday.really stepped up of late

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2017, 11:19:55 pm »
This lad has been brilliant of late. I'm a fan of his, but I still think he needs to offer a bit more to be an important first team player for years to come. He is young, so hopefully he can push on next season and beyond.

He, and the rest of the team, are probably suffering from the loss of Lallana's creativity in midfield. Sooner he is back, the better.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2017, 11:29:47 pm »
Didnt Klopp recently reveal he'd been struggling with a calf problem for a good while now, which kinda ties in with his  recent upturn in form.
Interesting debate whether he plays as DM or Box to Box. which suggests he can play either.

For me he should play further forward, as he can be sloppy at times in his passing, when he's trying to force things which in a more forward position shouldnt hurt the team as much than at DM.

Beast at the minute though lets hope he keeps this form up for the remainder of the campaign
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2017, 12:55:40 am »
With all the noises about Oxlade joining us, I wonder if he'll be the one to give way. It will be good for him and us as we need that bit of competitive fire without which, he just is a very lazy and careless midfielder. Looks like recently, Klopp's had a word with him about his 'demands'. Determined to prove himself.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2017, 01:43:23 am »
With all the noises about Oxlade joining us, I wonder if he'll be the one to give way. It will be good for him and us as we need that bit of competitive fire without which, he just is a very lazy and careless midfielder. Looks like recently, Klopp's had a word with him about his 'demands'. Determined to prove himself.

Give way?

If Oxlade was to come here which i hope not, surely it would be Wijs position who would come under immediate threat as they are both similar players in some ways.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2017, 01:59:27 am »
They way I see it:

1. Sign him up and pay the lad what he wants. Some people will be unhappy that we paid him a little overs but I suspect these are the same people who think that FSG are just here to make a profit. However, they aren't happy when FSG do splash the cash. Can goes on to do well and most people forget that this contract spat even happened.

2. We sign someone to replace him after losing him to another club for a low fee. We buy a new player for a higher sum that we received for Can. Said new player is about as good as Can but takes time to settle in and isn't that effective. People complain that we should have just paid Can what he wanted and we've lost more money anyway.

Just pay Can what he wants. Young and has high potential and is German. Winning combination that.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2017, 03:02:19 am »
Give way?

If Oxlade was to come here which i hope not, surely it would be Wijs position who would come under immediate threat as they are both similar players in some ways.

Gini is 100 times the player Oxlade is.  He's as unlikely as anyone to come under immediate threat to a player who's done little to prove himself consistently at premership level.

IF, and I guess its a big if he wants to swap arsenal's bench for here, then that is what he will be - a squad player, to cover the wing position more than anything.