Author Topic: How to tell if you've been hacked (Mobile/PC)  (Read 2198 times)

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How to tell if you've been hacked (Mobile/PC)
« on: March 2, 2017, 03:11:41 pm »
Long story short, my roommate was dating a guy who turned out to be a nut job. After they broke up, he somehow remotely closed her bank account, deleted her email, locked her Facebook/snapchat/spotify, and somehow had access to her texts and phone calls. He admitted to doing this, and offered to meet up to remove whatever he had done (:butt I advised her that is the last person I would trust to do this) She's also fairly certain he's been stalking her physically. We've since changed locks/wifi password/installed an alarm etc. She bought a new phone and is using a different laptop.

She's since changed all this information, as well as filed a restraining order, but is entirely convinced even after this he still has access to all this information. Apparently the guy is a tech guru, and some of the stuff she says he is doing sounds crazy, but after what he's already admitted to doing I'm hesitant to write anything off as a coincidence. She is absolutely terrified of this guy and it doesn't help he is an attorney, her court date regarding the restraining order is tomorrow.

My question is if there's any way to determine if, and how, someone might still have access to this information when seemingly everything necessary has been changed? Might kind of be a broad question, but thought this might be a decent starting point.

Cheers
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: How to tell if you've been hacked (Mobile/PC)
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2017, 03:20:07 pm »
Keep checking her Credit Reference, and check all activity. If there is a rogue credit search, you are not going to like the results.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2017, 03:23:55 pm »
My question is if there's any way to determine if, and how, someone might still have access to this information when seemingly everything necessary has been changed?
Repeatedly kick him in the nuts, usually loosens lips that! ;)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2017, 05:42:00 pm »
I asked the same sort of thing in the whatsapp thread

Not specific to do with this thread, but not worthy of it's own. Is there a way to find out if your WhatsApp has been hacked? Basically, I sent something to someone a couple of weeks ago. No one else will have known I sent this except myself and the recipient. Now, tonight, someone else has confronted me about it. This person does not know the recipient, and the recipient would have absolutely no reason to tell anyone what it was that I sent, or even that I sent it.

Sort of happened again last night. I was having an argument with my ex via text which went on all day. Late last night, the mother of my new baby text me to tell the ex to stop being a c*nt about our daughter and wise up about me getting a DNA test to prove she is mine.
I never once told her my ex had said anything about the baby, except when I told her my ex had asked is it definitely mine. Never told her my ex has asked for proof, or told her that my ex had said anything about the baby. Yet she messaged me and said about both. She's not tech savvy in the slightest, so unless she knows someone that is, and they've somehow hacked my phone and are reporting back to her, I don't know. I've changed my google password, checked all settings to ensure images aren't automatically uploaded to anywhere, email password etc.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2017, 09:27:45 pm »
If you use the same password then it's likely she just knew what it was. I don't use WhatsApp myself but does it tell you what devices are using the account? Is there any permissions to grant access from other places or devices?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2017, 11:31:04 pm »
Have you ever logged into the web browser version of Whatsapp on a laptop she can now use? That will stay authorised on it.
Go to the home page within app (list of chats). Click the 3 dot menu on the menu bar, then select WhatsApp Web. That page will tell you all the logged in computers and you can log out from all.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2017, 11:49:56 pm »
Have you ever logged into the web browser version of Whatsapp on a laptop she can now use? That will stay authorised on it.
Go to the home page within app (list of chats). Click the 3 dot menu on the menu bar, then select WhatsApp Web. That page will tell you all the logged in computers and you can log out from all.

I didn't even know there was a web browser version so that's ruled out.

If you use the same password then it's likely she just knew what it was. I don't use WhatsApp myself but does it tell you what devices are using the account? Is there any permissions to grant access from other places or devices?

She's no idea what my passwords are for anything.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 3, 2017, 08:14:42 am »
I didn't even know there was a web browser version so that's ruled out.

She's no idea what my passwords are for anything.

Would she have access to your phone at all? I've just looked up the web app thing and you log in with a QR code or something.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2017, 10:09:44 am »
Are the details being discussed/saved outside of Whatsapp anywhere? So with someone, screenshots, etc? Or can you 100% narrow it down to Whatsapp?

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2017, 10:41:01 am »
Would she have access to your phone at all? I've just looked up the web app thing and you log in with a QR code or something.

I can think of 1 instance where she may have had access to it. But the thing with the image I sent over whatsapp was after that.
Are the details being discussed/saved outside of Whatsapp anywhere? So with someone, screenshots, etc? Or can you 100% narrow it down to Whatsapp?

I only sent this image to my girlfriend on WhatsApp. I took a screenshot off a website and sent it to her. Had a look at Google drive and all that shit to see if it had uploaded automatically but there was nothing there.

This girl has the IQ of an asparagus, so hacking into someone's phone is way out of her league. Someone must have done it and is feeding back to her. There's no other explanation for her knowing about this image, and now about the text argument I had with my ex the other day.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: March 3, 2017, 10:47:02 am »
I assume you've remotely logged out of every account on all devices and changed all your passwords and security questions to things she wouldn't know?

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 3, 2017, 10:48:23 am »
I assume you've remotely logged out of every account on all devices and changed all your passwords and security questions to things she wouldn't know?

Have done that yes. And she wouldn't know any passwords or anything.

Literally just now, she's at it again.

... but just dnt sit in my house txt ur other half. I no ur with her .......I have seen a message saying that you are both ok and that u wanna make a go of it with her....
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 10:52:56 am by celebrating »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2017, 10:53:49 am »
Is that something she could have seen - as in have you sent that?

Which ones this BTW - your Son's mum?

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 3, 2017, 10:56:55 am »
Is that something she could have seen - as in have you sent that?

I have sent it yeah. She seems to be talking about this week when I've been round with the baby. Hasn't mentioned any of this until now. I've asked her where she is getting it from. Said she'll tell me if I answer her questions. She can get to fuck. I'll just get a new phone and sim.

This is the baby's mum.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 10:59:33 am by celebrating »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14 on: March 3, 2017, 11:02:29 am »
Oh right. Is this the both of them (Son's mum too) which have spoken like they've read your messages?

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 3, 2017, 11:05:51 am »
Oh right. Is this the both of them (Son's mum too) which have spoken like they've read your messages?

No just the baby mama. Am going to use Stevens phone for a week or so and see what happens with that.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 3, 2017, 11:44:51 am »
I can think of 1 instance where she may have had access to it. But the thing with the image I sent over whatsapp was after that.

Did you check within whatsapp if any computers are still authorised?
They stay authorised for a long time. If she had your phone she could log into it and leave that pc logged into it for ages.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 3, 2017, 11:49:17 am »
Did you check within whatsapp if any computers are still authorised?
They stay authorised for a long time. If she had your phone she could log into it and leave that pc logged into it for ages.

She doesn't have a computer. And wouldn't know how to do that anyway.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18 on: March 3, 2017, 11:55:37 am »
My guess is she has either taken the chance to look through your phone and see the messages, or seen what you've said over your shoulder as you've been messaging your gf.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 3, 2017, 12:12:20 pm »
My guess is she has either taken the chance to look through your phone and see the messages, or seen what you've said over your shoulder as you've been messaging your gf.

Could see that. But it's this image I sent on WhatsApp. I wasn't near her for ages before I sent it, or ages after it, and it wasn't saved in the phone as I delete most of the downloaded images after I sent them to save space.