Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 29460 times)

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2017, 03:41:29 pm »
Just got my second beast. Going to push straight on for the 3rd I reckon, need to progress the story a little more instead of constantly exploring!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2017, 04:28:06 pm »
Came across my first Hinox and wasted arrows hitting him in the eye but eventually took him down.

There is one shrine, cant remember which one where you have to move a ball in a little maze.  Motion controls, its torture and infuriating!!!
I've came across about 5 of them, but I just let them sleep. They look too big to take on, until I got to that island and there was one there wearing something I needed. They're not too hard to take down so long as you keep them away from big rocks and trees, which they like to throw at you. One hit and you're done. I just used the magnet ability and smashed him upside the head with a big box. Did the job.

And, yeah, I know that shrine with that ball maze. Drove me nuts for a bit too, then I realised I could just turn my controller upside down and the ball just rolled off the back of it.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2017, 11:48:57 am »
Was your Switch docked or not? It was much easier for me with the controller only, undocked Switch made it almost impossible.

Undocked.  I haven't used my Switch docked once.  I use it purely as a handheld.

I feel like I am making some decent progress even though I am only on my 2nd beast.  Have reached that desert town where you have to dress like a woman and have got more towers done.  For ages I just ignored the towers and my map was barren.

Offline mattybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:59 am »
Undocked.  I haven't used my Switch docked once.  I use it purely as a handheld.

I feel like I am making some decent progress even though I am only on my 2nd beast.  Have reached that desert town where you have to dress like a woman and have got more towers done.  For ages I just ignored the towers and my map was barren.

Which 2 did you go for?

I've got the bird & the elephant.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2017, 12:02:46 pm »
Which 2 did you go for?

I've got the bird & the elephant.

I did the elephant in Zora and now the next one in the desert is Divine Beast Vah Naboris. 

One thing I dislike is this weapon breaking in the game.  I think if they were going to use weapons getting weaker they should of had it like Monster Hunter where swords go blunt and you have to sharpen them again.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2017, 06:53:34 pm »

One thing I dislike is this weapon breaking in the game.  I think if they were going to use weapons getting weaker they should of had it like Monster Hunter where swords go blunt and you have to sharpen them again.
I can see how some would find it annoying (it is to an extent in certain circumstances) but I don't have an issue with it once you unlock more slots. If you buy a house, you have the option to store the more powerful and robust ones for more difficult enemies and situations.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2017, 12:51:52 pm »
Cool video. Developers talking about this game.

https://youtu.be/hk-EnbS42dM

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2017, 08:15:26 pm »
I'm about 60 hours deep into the game now, and I've seen roughly about 40-50% of the map, still discovering stuff, and if anything, the game is getting better. I think it's possibly the best game I've played in the past two decades. It's certainly the bravest game I've seen from a developer in the past 20 years.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2017, 11:09:18 pm »
That's some praise man.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2017, 02:53:17 pm »
Are we right now in one of the greatest ever eras for videogames, if not the?

I only put the question out there because while there's obviously a hell of a lot of samey dross pumped out (which, trust me, has always been the case, ever since videogames first caught on commercially), if you ask me, there have been a fair number of genuine masterpieces come out over the past few years, spanning many different genres and immersive moods.

2013 was a pretty vintage year from both a AAA and indy perspective, 2015 likewise. The past year has seen VR explode for real, admittedly with arguably only one or two great games to its name, but it's still very early days. People have already been commenting how strongly 2017 has started, with Resi 7 in VR, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, etc.

As a decade on the whole, the 1990s are quite possibly unbeatable, when you've got the very tail end of the 8-bit console era, the prime of the 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bits, and the first baby steps of the 128-bit era and online gaming with the Dreamcast, plus all the Amiga classics and PC gaming really hitting its stride - that decade is choc full of games widely considered to be the very pinnacle of their ilk. And the 2000s weren't too shabby either! 

But these 2010s, y'know, you've got Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us, Portal 2, the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, GTAV... and then this. They're all quite different games - and how many of them are considered the very greatest iteration of their thing? "The best videogame ever!!" as a single supposedly-unanimous (as if!) choice is pretty silly, because not only are the popular genres so diverse, but the wildly differing approaches to a broadly similiar category of game can make direct comparison quite pointless. But there have been a fair few titles that, even while being regarded as underwhelming on the whole, have made giant leaps for their type of game - Metal Gear Solid 5, while its story is considered a low point in the series, in gameplay terms is the ultimate expression of versatile stealth action, for instance. And we've got VR doing brand new things with classic game species now too.

This newest Zelda would appear to've utterly perfected the enchanting open world fantasy adventure, arguably as open & pliant as videogames have ever been, while still being a cohesive traditional venture (drawing on a deep well of ancient gaming wisdom). Witcher 3 nailed the darker, dingier end of open world high fantasy in its writing and sheer scope. And so on.

You have to count up these mastercrafted products and fully appreciate their unprecedented ambition, not just in their structural game design, groundbreaking visuals, etc. but all the dramatic elements too - the voice acting, scriptwriting, novel exploration of complex, nuanced and mature themes. You're seeing the best of all worlds; the gritty stuff done better & more convincingly than ever in certain games, and the brighter, younger, magical gamey stuff also taken to new heights elsewhere.

The fact that this Zelda seems very economical with its surface elements (it has a gorgeous visual style, but it's mostly classic cel-shading and resourceful art design trickery, and so doesn't make monstrous demands on the system's processing power for looks alone) also makes me wonder what devs like this could do with a VR adventure. 3rd person platforming is no problem whatsoever in VR; the 'floating observer' thing works its own charm, when you can turn your head around while you player character is facing the other way or otherwise occupied, see enemies coming from unexpected angles and the like. Or just to fully breathe in the painstakingly created live world, being as visually immersed in it all as is practically possible without dropping acid or whatever.

I just reckon a VR Zelda, or something like it that's learned all the most important lessons from it, has to be on the cards at some point. When something is apparently this magically immersive, why not take it that step further now that it's all becoming possible?
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2017, 03:59:58 pm »
Are we right now in one of the greatest ever eras for videogames, if not the?

I only put the question out there because while there's obviously a hell of a lot of samey dross pumped out (which, trust me, has always been the case, ever since videogames first caught on commercially), if you ask me, there have been a fair number of genuine masterpieces come out over the past few years, spanning many different genres and immersive moods.

2013 was a pretty vintage year from both a AAA and indy perspective, 2015 likewise. The past year has seen VR explode for real, admittedly with arguably only one or two great games to its name, but it's still very early days. People have already been commenting how strongly 2017 has started, with Resi 7 in VR, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, etc.

As a decade on the whole, the 1990s are quite possibly unbeatable, when you've got the very tail end of the 8-bit console era, the prime of the 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bits, and the first baby steps of the 128-bit era and online gaming with the Dreamcast, plus all the Amiga classics and PC gaming really hitting its stride - that decade is choc full of games widely considered to be the very pinnacle of their ilk. And the 2000s weren't too shabby either! 

But these 2010s, y'know, you've got Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us, Portal 2, the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, GTAV... and then this. They're all quite different games - and how many of them are considered the very greatest iteration of their thing? "The best videogame ever!!" as a single supposedly-unanimous (as if!) choice is pretty silly, because not only are the popular genres so diverse, but the wildly differing approaches to a broadly similiar category of game can make direct comparison quite pointless. But there have been a fair few titles that, even while being regarded as underwhelming on the whole, have made giant leaps for their type of game - Metal Gear Solid 5, while its story is considered a low point in the series, in gameplay terms is the ultimate expression of versatile stealth action, for instance. And we've got VR doing brand new things with classic game species now too.

This newest Zelda would appear to've utterly perfected the enchanting open world fantasy adventure, arguably as open & pliant as videogames have ever been, while still being a cohesive traditional venture (drawing on a deep well of ancient gaming wisdom). Witcher 3 nailed the darker, dingier end of open world high fantasy in its writing and sheer scope. And so on.

You have to count up these mastercrafted products and fully appreciate their unprecedented ambition, not just in their structural game design, groundbreaking visuals, etc. but all the dramatic elements too - the voice acting, scriptwriting, novel exploration of complex, nuanced and mature themes. You're seeing the best of all worlds; the gritty stuff done better & more convincingly than ever in certain games, and the brighter, younger, magical gamey stuff also taken to new heights elsewhere.

The fact that this Zelda seems very economical with its surface elements (it has a gorgeous visual style, but it's mostly classic cel-shading and resourceful art design trickery, and so doesn't make monstrous demands on the system's processing power for looks alone) also makes me wonder what devs like this could do with a VR adventure. 3rd person platforming is no problem whatsoever in VR; the 'floating observer' thing works its own charm, when you can turn your head around while you player character is facing the other way or otherwise occupied, see enemies coming from unexpected angles and the like. Or just to fully breathe in the painstakingly created live world, being as visually immersed in it all as is practically possible without dropping acid or whatever.

I just reckon a VR Zelda, or something like it that's learned all the most important lessons from it, has to be on the cards at some point. When something is apparently this magically immersive, why not take it that step further now that it's all becoming possible?
No. Not even close.

Developers need to go back to the drawing board on a lot of things regarding game design. That's been the most neglected thing outside of AI in the past two generations. There's too many trends in gaming these days, bad ones, and that's not even talking about pre-order schemes, early access, season pass, and content locked out of games behind a pay wall bollocks.

There's the odd game that comes along now and again that rips up the conventions of modern gaming, and it rightly gets noticed. BoTW is one, and I'd even cite Resident Evil 7 as being on par with it as far as taking brave decisions goes from the developers point of view by defying modern trends and going back to the roots that established the series to begin with. On top of all that, they bravely decided to not only change the perspective of the game, but they added in a fully playable VR version of the game, which for some reason or another, Capcom just aren't getting the limelight and praise they deserved for all of that.

In other words, more BoTW and RE7's, please. It's a start at least.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2017, 04:27:17 pm »
Do you not think there have been more than those two in recent times?

I'm not sure that a game necessarily has to drastically rip up conventions to be great. It has to tweak them, perfect certain elements. I can think of a number of titles over the past few years which have taken their style of game miles forward.

I don't think innovators came as thick and fast in previous eras as we like to remember, I just think a lot of dull big-budget crap gets a lot of exposure, so it clouds the picture. There is a thriving, conceptually ambitious indy culture beneath the surface, and at least one real barnstormer of a big game every year. Ideas are being shared/stolen between east and west, all over the place really, and ambitions are expanding all the time.

Dodgy market practices are something else, and even so, the game is still what it is once all that settles down. When it permanently impacts the design of a title, deforms the development or even prevents its seeing the light of day, then yeah, that's a huge contemporary issue in gaming culture. But I feel there are ones out there doing interesting things with game design.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2017, 05:33:32 pm »
Yeah, I think it's very harsh to say this is 'not even close' to being one of the greatest eras of gaming.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2017, 06:53:14 pm »
There's far too many shoddy practices, and shoddy cut-and-paste releases these days that require 2 years' worth of patching before it even resembles a polished final product. Then you have the countless remakes and remasters that we've been spammed with for about 3 years now. Personally, I think this current gen has been an absolute disaster and a disappointment. Sure, sales statistics of consoles and games sold won't reflect this, but aside from one or two new IP's being successful, it's offered nothing remarkable for any sustained amount of time.

Only in the past couple of months has there been a spate of releases that's managed to peak my interest, mainly due to VR, which is a niche market anyway, and reminiscent of the early days of gaming when things where still very much experimental and interesting. I personally think for this era of gaming to be remembered as one of the best, we'd need to see groundbreaking titles. Not average, to good, or even brilliant games. Groundbreaking, because that's the kind of stuff we were getting in the 16 to 32 bit eras. Games that didn't break the moulds, but instead set them. You can call it nostalgia, or whatever, but there hasn't been another Doom, Street Fighter 2, Goldeneye, Mario 64, Half-Life 2, Metroid Prime, Halo, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Shenmue etc etc for some time now. Sure, there's been improved iterations and even games inspired by them, but outside of the usual big block busters these days, none have been as new or as exciting as those titles were. The most exciting time in the industry by far was, for me, that period where games were starting to break into 3d territory around 1994-1997. I don't think that'll ever be repeated. '05' -'10 was another great period for the games released then, though.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2017, 10:25:17 pm »
I personally think the boom in the '90s can never be replicated, the exploration and exploitation of 3D environments just opened up millions of possibilities to imaginative devs, and now all that's been done. There are interesting new tweaks to formats established back then coming out all the time, but it would be nigh on impossible to create something akin to the very first true FPS, the first 3rd person 3D adventure, the first cinematic survival horror, and so on. Only VR/AR can do something similar, invent totally new genres and ways of experiencing games, which is why I reckon we're in the midst of something (potentially) very special right now.

It's the next dimension, if you like - the simplest games of the early days perfected their core feature; pure addictive gameplay... then as the bits grew, like cells dividing, superlative 2D pixel background artwork, sprite animations and such became a big thing to wow players with... then 3D blew everyone into a whole new dimension. Although VR's been round the block before, it's the one and only thing that can hope to have the same OMFG sheer-amazement impact as those previous big evolutionary steps, so this mid-2010s period I think will be considered an historically very notable time if just for that (provided it doesn't crash and burn with consumers).

Aside from VR though, the best you can really ask for are games introducing exciting new elements, rather than giving birth to an entire new movement. You can't re-invent the wheel, but you can improve tyres beyond the first wheel-pushers' wildest imaginations. And I think there have been many really cleverly-executed, intriguing gameplay elements explored within the past few years, some of them in games that aren't exactly gona go down as greats.

Two small examples of that from titles that I can enjoy, but that rightly have no chance of becoming especially acclaimed in the fullness of time, would be the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor, and the remote hacking exploits in both of the Watch Dogs' open worlds. None of these things really make headlines, and that illustrates how novel concepts are still being implemented in 'standard', non-vanguard games without people taking that much notice.

Those are obviously far from the strongest offerings of this era, which have each introduced their own novel elements, but in a far more accomplished overall package. I think time will treat the very cream of this era kindly, they'll be appreciated for expanding what games can be, as well as their sheer playability.

I'm not saying you're wrong here, by the way; I phrased it as a tentative question to everyone after all. But I honestly think this is a stronger time for videogames, and videogame innovation, than many would acknowledge; a creative boom time, as well as clearly a commercial boom time. First of all, for all the shite that we hate about this era, that's because videogames are more a licence to print money than ever, so all the greedy corner-cutting corporate twats have gotten heavily involved - it's not good, but they're ubiquitous annoying blood-sucking ticks on a very, very healthy beast. Secondly, more gamers are getting wise to that sort of crap than ever, and starting to demand better business practices, in mini-pockets of resistance all over the web - I guarantee you that previous generations of gamers would've fallen for the same old crap and still gladly handed over their money (the misconception that major games are more expensive to purchase now than they were in the distant past is quite amusing for someone who's been scrimping and shelling out since the early '90s). Third, there's not a time in their history when the majority of home videogame releases weren't uninspired knock-offs, blatant bandwagon-jumping cash-in attempts, fanbase-exploiting licenced junk, etc. There would be literally several thousand games considered as timeless masterpieces if previous eras were as fruitful as they seem in our minds (there are for some!). And that's coming from someone with an undying love for those bygone halcyon days, when everything felt so new. I seriously think many of us are just a little bit jaded now, can't quite see the excitement to be found in contemporary gaming until it slaps us in the face sometime. VR is a bloody great wet slap in the face right now, but even that incredibly has its miserable-faced detractors too.

Anyway, don't wanna hijack this beauty's thread too much with my rambling.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:27:23 pm by Haemoglobin »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2017, 11:24:28 pm »
You're (we) aren't really hijacking the thread, I don't think. I think it's all relevant to BoTW anyway. I think the major reason why the game is so good is because it just completely rips up all the conventions, even by its own rule book legacy, and goes full circle by going back to the start in the way the first ever Zelda was designed. The developers didn't really know what worked back then, so they just basically made a game that had no set rules or way to play it and just tossed the player into the game blind and asked them to play it how they wanted. There was no script, or narrative path. You found stuff out by accident or the hard way via trial and error. See, that's one thing that's mostly missing in games now: trial and error. BoTW does all of this again, and just puts you into the world and lets you figure it out. If you want to take on the final boss right away, why should there be a barrier to stop you? No such restriction exists in this game, and that's almost entirely unique. The fact that you can completely skip the narrative entirely is your choice should you wish it.

I think the beauty of this title will be lost on a lot of people who can't, haven't or won't play it. That's not stating the obvious, but the contrary. I've read comments saying that they fail to see what it's doing different or why it deserves the scores. The simple reason is this: freedom and convention defying game design. Outside of The Great Plateau, which acts as an introduction, and even then there is very little explanation to what you have to do, there is zero hand holding. The game doesn't insult the player's intelligence by having audio or visual prompts everywhere. You're left to use your own eyes and intuition to figure things out, almost exactly like it used to be. The game is a throwback, but made in an era where games are produced by hundreds of people, and costs hundreds of millions and takes years to produce. It shows the confidence Nintendo not only have in themselves as developers, but in the people who will pick up the controller to play it.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2017, 01:29:49 am »
Specifically with this game, I hope it serves as an inspiration, gets ripped off (in a good way) and its systems built upon by others, purely because I believe games do need to be always branching off in several different directions. I see it as a good thing for there to be new trends followed (helps the central ideas gain traction with players, captures a wider audience, great new things come into view almost accidentally for creators when standing on the shoulders of giants, etc.), but not so good when one dominates - another interesting thing this game reportedly has done is to pilfer smart design elements from western games, and then make something special out of the mix. Other devs should return the favour, so we can have the best of both worlds going on at the same time. The question is whether the talent elsewhere can afford to invest the sort of time and vast creative resources Nintendo do for their flagship properties. It comes across that this was a very long time in the making, you'd hope the first 'response' to it by another studio won't be a rushed hackjob.

I do think there's been cool new gamey ground broken by recent great titles, things like online multiplayer 'invasions' into predominantly singleplayer games and such, be it nice (Journey) or naughty (the Souls stomping grounds), but much of the more novel approaches to games of late have been more a move away from simple young fun, and many people will ultimately miss out on the black magic of From's mischievous dark fantasies because they can be quite (deliberately) alienating to newcomers. BotW wants to provide a good old-fashioned challenge, but doesn't want to create such an oppressive, forbidding atmosphere, so it takes another intuitive approach that all players can learn to avoid taking on more than you can chew, while giving you the freedom to try if you so wish. There's room for it all, so it's good to have a massive bright open world oddity that stands up to the best and most expansive of its kind.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2017, 01:19:37 pm »
You're (we) aren't really hijacking the thread, I don't think. I think it's all relevant to BoTW anyway. I think the major reason why the game is so good is because it just completely rips up all the conventions, even by its own rule book legacy, and goes full circle by going back to the start in the way the first ever Zelda was designed. The developers didn't really know what worked back then, so they just basically made a game that had no set rules or way to play it and just tossed the player into the game blind and asked them to play it how they wanted. There was no script, or narrative path. You found stuff out by accident or the hard way via trial and error. See, that's one thing that's mostly missing in games now: trial and error. BoTW does all of this again, and just puts you into the world and lets you figure it out. If you want to take on the final boss right away, why should there be a barrier to stop you? No such restriction exists in this game, and that's almost entirely unique. The fact that you can completely skip the narrative entirely is your choice should you wish it.

I think the beauty of this title will be lost on a lot of people who can't, haven't or won't play it. That's not stating the obvious, but the contrary. I've read comments saying that they fail to see what it's doing different or why it deserves the scores. The simple reason is this: freedom and convention defying game design. Outside of The Great Plateau, which acts as an introduction, and even then there is very little explanation to what you have to do, there is zero hand holding. The game doesn't insult the player's intelligence by having audio or visual prompts everywhere. You're left to use your own eyes and intuition to figure things out, almost exactly like it used to be. The game is a throwback, but made in an era where games are produced by hundreds of people, and costs hundreds of millions and takes years to produce. It shows the confidence Nintendo not only have in themselves as developers, but in the people who will pick up the controller to play it.

No handholding is something I have wanted from Nintendo forever.  Far too often with nintendo games they tell us what to do or have some long azz tutorial. 

This basically throws you in and tells you to go explore.

I'm now two beasts down and am now gonna concentrate in hitting some more towers.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:23:00 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2017, 04:39:19 pm »
*very mild spoilers that have already been mentioned here*

I'm completely and hopelessly addicted to this. I'm playing it on Wii-U, given it a dusting off for one last hoorah (its fine, by the way, it obviously has some of the much reported framerate issues but they're a non-issue to me taken as a whole, if that makes sense).

I didn't think I'd see nights of single player gaming till 2-3am again but this has transported me right back. I just wander, I'm not even that fussed about using my horse, every peak I summit I'll spot something in the distance that I need to investigate. I'm ready to go on my 3rd beast if I want to but I'm really trying to savor it, I don't want the story to be over.

Has anyone come across a strange sight in a small dell, at the top of a mountain, I don't really want to say anymore.

Offline mattybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2017, 05:00:20 pm »
*very mild spoilers that have already been mentioned here*

I'm completely and hopelessly addicted to this. I'm playing it on Wii-U, given it a dusting off for one last hoorah (its fine, by the way, it obviously has some of the much reported framerate issues but they're a non-issue to me taken as a whole, if that makes sense).

I didn't think I'd see nights of single player gaming till 2-3am again but this has transported me right back. I just wander, I'm not even that fussed about using my horse, every peak I summit I'll spot something in the distance that I need to investigate. I'm ready to go on my 3rd beast if I want to but I'm really trying to savor it, I don't want the story to be over.

Has anyone come across a strange sight in a small dell, at the top of a mountain, I don't really want to say anymore.

With something(s) luminous?

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2017, 05:03:35 pm »
Yes :D

I stupidly thought the best course of action was bow and arrow.

Disappeared   :-[
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:06:36 pm by Chief Skeptic »

Offline mattybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2017, 05:11:16 pm »
Yes :D

I stupidly thought the best course of action was bow and arrow.

Disappeared   :-[

Same and I can't seem to see it again. I've pinned it on my map so I can try and go back :)

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:26 pm »
I keep looking for the green light.

Hopefully it'll appear again. I've noticed there are at least two similarly shaped mountains.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:07 pm »

I take it you mean
Spoiler
Farosh?
[close]
Was it at the top of a snowy mountain by any chance?

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2017, 10:12:27 am »
I take it you mean
Spoiler
Farosh?
[close]
Was it at the top of a snowy mountain by any chance?

No, although that did freak me out a bit too seeing those. I first spotted one of 'those' disappearing behind a mountain off in the distance. I had to double take.

3 down now, one ready to go. I don't want it to end  :-[

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:15 pm »
Just got a code for this *throws Mass Effect aside*
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline mattybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2017, 04:52:27 pm »
Finally completed this last night but that doesn't mean I'm done. So much more to explore.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2017, 09:18:09 pm »
It's working on emulators if anyone is into that sort of thing.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2017, 09:21:25 pm »
It's working on emulators if anyone is into that sort of thing.

Scratch that, glaciers move quicker.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2017, 07:12:59 am »
Looking good on emulators so far! Prob a while before it runs perfectly/fully. Thats some fast work though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/5z7j51/botw_megathread/

Some kinda version due out in april!
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2017, 09:43:06 am »
4 divine beats down but not going to the castle yet.  Time to find some more shrines and side missions.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2017, 11:32:57 am »
Still only on my second divine beast but done 80 or so shrines :)

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2017, 11:48:40 am »
Wow, think I'm on 52 and they're getting hard to spot.

4 beasts done.

Came across a great little section not far from the fishing town, don't want to say much more.

I could easily have done the game and never seen some of these parts that are absolutely brilliant.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2017, 07:44:17 pm »
So, I eventually came across that "glowing thing" mentioned in here a while back. First time I came across that part of the map last night, actually, almost 4 weeks into playing it. It was during the day the first time I visited the spot, so nothing was going on there, but the tree certainly looked out of place. One thing about Zelda titles, past and present, is that I always remember them to have a kind of secretive mystique to them. If something looks odd or out of place, it has a meaning behind it. This game brings back so much of that.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2017, 08:16:30 pm »
Wow, think I'm on 52 and they're getting hard to spot.

4 beasts done.

Came across a great little section not far from the fishing town, don't want to say much more.

I could easily have done the game and never seen some of these parts that are absolutely brilliant.

I shot my bolt a bit early there. I'm on 61 - thought it was more. Can't recommend stamina upgrades enough after you've got 6/7 hearts. Makes parts of the game far less daunting.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2017, 10:20:16 am »
Got the Dark Link suit last night.  Looks so dope!!!

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: April 3, 2017, 12:03:40 pm »
Got a Switch and this on Friday night.. blown away so far and only just got the sailcloth thing. I have never seen the Game Over screen so many times so early on in a Zelda game but it doesn't feel frustrating at all. Fantastic.. tempted to take some days off work just to play.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2017, 04:19:41 pm »
Computer games, I'm very much out the loop, loved zelda as a kid on the snes and n64, mate was raving about this game and I've got 6 hours of train time to fill each week that I can fill with zelda.

What's the cost of switches and zelda? will trade console and game in afterwards how much would you get for them?  Ta
No time for caution.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2017, 07:57:18 pm »
Computer games, I'm very much out the loop, loved zelda as a kid on the snes and n64, mate was raving about this game and I've got 6 hours of train time to fill each week that I can fill with zelda.

What's the cost of switches and zelda? will trade console and game in afterwards how much would you get for them?  Ta
Right now, if you can get your hands on a Switch, it would cost 320 for it and the game. You'd get your money back on that, give or take a few quid, if you wanted. Although BoTW, if you were to play it for 6 hours a week, would take you several months to complete, so who knows what your resale value would be then. I'm willing to bet that there will be major shortages of the thing for a good while, maybe even leading up to the new year.

Well, I say several month to complete BoTW, if you wanted to, if you wanted to take in a lot of what the game has to offer. Or you could just go straight to Ganon after the first couple of hours and try to beat him. Up to you.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:59:11 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2017, 10:34:23 pm »
Ta, £320? Things have changed since 1999.
No time for caution.