Author Topic: Liverpool 0 - S'hampton 1 [0-2 Aggregate]  (Read 59707 times)

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 0 - S'hampton 1 [0-2 Aggregate]
« Reply #520 on: January 25, 2017, 10:32:08 pm »
Wait a second, we were no where near as bad as some of you are making out tonight lol did they not defend in numbers? We had a penalty shout, a shot cleared off the line and numerous near misses by sturridge, we'll have to win the fa cup instead. Some
If you lot need to get a grip, we'll come good again soon enough.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:45:17 pm by 12Kings »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #521 on: January 25, 2017, 10:32:30 pm »
Things aren't  going well and amazing how many new posters come on for a good old whinge or a general shit chat.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: January 25, 2017, 10:32:40 pm »
Too many players are off form. Coutinho has just come back and it always takes him a few games to get back into it. Henderson doesnt look as good. Lallana has been poor, Firmino is out of the centre for an ineffective Sturridge and there is no Mane.

We should get better but time waits for no side. It needs to come quickly else we are going to have to chase for scraps.

Offline Olde Dog

• Kemlynite
  • Y.N.W.A.
« Reply #523 on: January 25, 2017, 10:32:58 pm »
Shall we get you a nice shiny superfan badge?

... the team was at it all match - the crowd were at it all match - get on the slate the team wagon if you want - find justification in our shortcomings if that's how you get behind your team - and I'm not a 'fan', I'm a supporter, take it as it comes - go to the matches, want as much glory as the next supporter, but to slate the team because we didn't get the breakthrough? To write off the rest of the season? To bemoan not bringing in any transfers for Mane as a short term fix? To lose faith in our manager so soon? Count me out ...

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #524 on: January 25, 2017, 10:32:59 pm »
Agree. Firmino was about the only player who looked capable of doing something different.

Firmino's problem is that he hasn't been playing as a striker. His problem is that he IS a striker not that he isn't one.
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #525 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:12 pm »
Yes, everyone says that. And whoever takes the corner, always gets blamed for appaling corners. That's because their defence is as packed as ever, and CORNERS ARE WORTHLESS as an output.
If corners are worthless why dont we use our heads and just keep the ball.

Don't bring our defenders up

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #526 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:24 pm »
Carra talking some truths

No he isn't. It wasn't Sturridge's fault that we lost.
#JFT97

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #527 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:25 pm »
Wait a second, we were no where need as half as bad as some of you are making out tonight lol did they not defend in numbers? We had a penalty shout, a shot cleared off the line and numerous near misses by sturridge, we'll have to win the fa cup instead. Some

No we won't. Season's over....AGAIN!
Internet terrorist

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:27 pm »
Like Firmino, for example? Or Costa? Or any number of strikers who do one or more of constantly move, constantly harass, come deep and influence play etc etc.

Sturridge is a player of sublime skill, and he's not exactly lazy, but he doesn't seem to be able to bully his way into a game - I've seen Origi do it, for example.

Sturridge, sadly, seems to be one of a fine Liverpool tradition of sublimely gifted world class talents who are made out of tissue paper - Kewell, Torres, Aurelio, Agger, Fowler, Owen...
If the team doesn't score and lose those that not make the same difference even if they did win the ball back?
Sturridge should have scored tonight but he's not the main problem.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:31 pm »
He needs to assemble sooner rather than later.
Fucking hell. He's had 3 transfer windows, 2 of which were the January transfer window.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #530 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:34 pm »
We need some more players

Out of all the times this is boringly shouted I don't think it's ever been as true as now
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:37 pm »
Klopp is a genius, and we really need to be patient. When it all clicks, when his team is assembled, we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

We do need to be patient with the manager but the manager needs to realise I've been patient for 26 years waiting to see Liverpool win the league and it looks all but gone for another year.

This season we were 2nd going into January with our best player injured, Mane going for 7 weeks and an already thin squad struggling for form, now we're out of the league cup.

Our manager is refusing to bring anyone in. I don't believe for a single second FSG won't back him. The squad looks absolutely fucked. They look knackered mate.

Some things can be coached but this team lacks pace. We desperately need some pace in the side.

Without 1/2 fresh faces I can't see us coming top 4. This isn't me being a "bedwetter". This is based on everything I've seen since the end of November, we've not played well since Bournemouth and we fucking got beat. Absolutely nothing to suggest this form isn't going to continue either. Not 1 shred of light.

Our whole season in unravelling before our eyes and we've got the chance to bring a few players in to help the group out - and we're refusing to do it. It's a real shame.

Don't talk to me about Top 4 either, I couldn't give a flying fuck about top 4. Win the league. Everything else is bollocks to me at this point.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: January 25, 2017, 10:34:06 pm »
Like most strikers.

Not the good ones.

Offline Malcolm Night

• Anny Roader
« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2017, 10:34:25 pm »
Carra: "When Liverpool play with Sturridge - and he doesn't score, it's like playing with 10 men because he doesn't contribute anywhere else".

Ouch. Is he right?

Not sure he is right. Sturridge can be a good team player, didn't score against Leicester yet played brilliantly in what was probably our performance of the season as a team. Played well against Chelsea without scoring and also played a big role when coming on against Everton. Think Carra is just reacting emotionally to what was a pretty awful performance from Sturridge.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: January 25, 2017, 10:34:32 pm »
No we won't. Season's over....AGAIN!

We're still in the FA Cup and still have a chance of top four (as well as the title, but that's a much slimmer possibility).

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #535 on: January 25, 2017, 10:34:39 pm »
Just not good enough!

I've already ranted on another forum.

But I'll leave you this..

The team over two legs were atrocious.
Most of all I'll be glad to see the back of Daniel Sturridge in May.

Goodnight folks
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:03 pm »
No he isn't. It wasn't Sturridge's fault that we lost.
Was not referring to that what he said in relation to JK timing of subs and the lack of strength in the squad.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #537 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:07 pm »
Just cannot understand this 'well at least it wasn't a league game' attitude. We've effectively just handed the trophy to Jose Mourinho.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:11 pm »
Something needs to be done about time wasting in football. One of Van Basten's recent ideas was to stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play in the last 10 minutes. I don't think that's the solution but people should keep looking. Forster probably ate up 3 minutes on his own for goal kicks tonight.

And sometimes the time-wasting will start at like 75 minutes... Then if anyone ever gets cautioned for it, it'll be the goalkeeper in the 92nd minute on his 8th 45 second goal kick. "I'll take the yellow card," he says. "Job done". I would love to see a referee have the balls to give someone a second yellow for time-wasting or just be more strict on it in general.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline rkgriffin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #539 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:15 pm »
No doubt in my mind we'll beat Chelsea.

And then lose to Hull. 

In all seriousness, play the kids against Wolves, pull for Cameroon, somehow find a winger in 5 days to rotate into the squad and we are probably going to be ok.  No more two games a week after this month.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #540 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:24 pm »
We'll get one who is like one of the best in the league in up to 10 days.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #541 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:25 pm »
I think it is too easy to put it down to Mane being missing. I think since Coutinho was out, we lacked the incisiveness of playing through the middle like we did earlier in the season. The concurrent theme is that we have been whipping it into the box hoping someone will get to the crosses, when really we don't have the players for that type of game.

It's a mental thing, we lacked ideas now, as the creativity drained away. Now it'll take more time to reestablish that rhythm that we lost. Hopefully when Coutinho gets up to speed it will come back.

We don't need another speedy winger. Those do nothing against sides that sit deep. We need players who can penetrate and play the one two's. Mane isn't all about speed, his footwork is quite underappreciated here I think. Even when he wasn't beating his man down the line the last couple of months he's been able to put himself into scoring positions with deft touches.

And the other thing we are missing is a winning mentality. Or to put it more succinctly, the team is mentally weak, and afraid of failure. Not sure how you fix something like that.
Good post. I don't fully agree - I think we do miss that lightning burst of pace and it's one reason I would like to see Origi in the side (I wouldn't have dropped him, to be honest) - but I do totally agree with you about the quick footwork, and actually I thought we were starting to see a bit of that again tonight, especially through Coutinho. I think we need another pacy player but we need that footwork too, so another one of those would be great. What makes Mane exceptional is he has both plus exceptional fitness and physical presence. Any team would miss him.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #542 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:30 pm »
Wait a second, we were no where need as half as bad as some of you are making out tonight lol did they not defend in numbers? We had a penalty shout, a shot cleared off the line and numerous near misses by sturridge, we'll have to win the game cup instead. Some

For the second time in a row they've had our number tactically. Actually not that hard to do anymore as others have pointed out. We've been figured out more or less. We had a half-hearted penalty shout and a shot cleared of the line because their keeper fucked up. Despite defending in numbers, Southampton still had a number of chances to score. I'll give you the Sturridge chance, but it wasn't because of some free flowing excellent move we created. It just dropped to him and he blasted over. We got what we deserved and that was nothing. Didn't deserve to score over the two legs let alone go through.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: January 25, 2017, 10:36:05 pm »
I don't agree with this at all. Firmino is excellent as a striker and has done really well there for us. I'd bet his goal return for us when played as a central striker is decent.
Well today he didnt even play as a striker but Firmino misses a lot of good chances and often fails to even get the shot away. Largely because he neither has target-man like strength, balance and stature nor explosive pace that top strikers will normal have at least one of. He also doesn't have the kind of predatory efficiency in the box.

So even if he has scored 5 from 12 playing up front this year which is okay, its not great, and he is playing for the most prolific team in england this season and should therefore be scoring more. And like others, his not being oarticularly big or strong or fast means that he relies on others a lot. You want a striker who can occasionally bail you out and Firmino definitely isn't that. And he has missed a lot of perfect or near-perfect chances in games where we have dropped points.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: January 25, 2017, 10:36:12 pm »
Fucking hell. He's had 3 transfer windows, 2 of which were the January transfer window.
Can't see what you mean by that ?

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #545 on: January 25, 2017, 10:36:13 pm »
Here are the things I have noticed of our play of late.

• We are not pressing as quick and with the intensity we were in the first half of the season
  • The movement around the midfield is a lot slower than it was
  • We go missing in a lot of 50/50 challenges
  • Losing it on the 2nd balls
  • A lot more misplaced passes

Why? Got to be down to energy levels and confidence to my mind. The obvious one is that we are missing Mane but that is not the whole story. The solution has to be increasing the size and quality of the squad to give us the depth to challenge at such high intensity levels. Also, develop that plan B. Maybe we should develop that 2 banks of four that so many teams do well with against us.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: January 25, 2017, 10:36:18 pm »
We made Redmond look like Kostadinov

Offline rkgriffin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #547 on: January 25, 2017, 10:36:23 pm »
Something needs to be done about time wasting in football. One of Van Basten's recent ideas was to stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play in the last 10 minutes. I don't think that's the solution but people should keep looking. Forster probably ate up 3 minutes on his own for goal kicks tonight.

And sometimes the time-wasting will start at like 75 minutes... Then if anyone ever gets cautioned for it, it'll be the goalkeeper in the 92nd minute on his 8th 45 second goal kick. "I'll take the yellow card," he says. "Job done". I would love to see a referee have the balls to give someone a second yellow for time-wasting or just be more strict on it in general.

Do you think we would have scored tonight if they gave us 20 more minutes?

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:17 pm »
Do you think we would have scored tonight if they gave us 20 more minutes?

Not even if we had another hour. But it's a general point
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:18 pm »
We need someone who can play ball in midfield not just marathon runners that's are main problem.
Coutinho doesn't count not a centre midfielder same with lallana really.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #550 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:24 pm »
To not to score in both games. Not sure how anyone can say we were unlucky. We were rubbish, that's a simple truth.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #551 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:30 pm »

Out of all the times this is boringly shouted I don't think it's ever been as true as now

Squad go stripped in the Summer bigtime and rightly so, Klopp knows this all too well and he is biding his time for the right player. Remember its not just about this Season.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #552 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:48 pm »
We'll get one who is like one of the best in the league in up to 10 days.

Huge miss

But this is the reason we need players
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #553 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:01 pm »
... boohoo, boo hoo hoo - we were shite, we have thrown everything away, our forwards are shite, our team is shite, Klopp doesn't know what he's doing, Sturridge is shite - PLEASE, get a fucking grip of yourselves - WE DOMINATED THAT GAME - no, we didn't score, didn't get the breaks, had a ball cleared off the line, lterally! We fought, fought hard, from start to finish - the crowd were at it all match - HEADS HELD HIGH, even in defeat - bring on the Wolves, the Chelsea - LIVERPOOL 'TILL I DIE!!!

I admire your defiance, but we really didn't dominate that match at all.

We were better in the second half than the first, but possession of the ball (which we did dominate) is nothing unless you actually use it to your advantage. Teams know now that they can give us the ball all day long in positions where we cannot hurt them. They know we will play it sideways and backwards more often than not because we seem not to have a single clue as to how to actually penetrate through them. They also know that they can use pace to hit us on the break. In short, they let us piss about with the ball to our hearts content knowing we didn't have the guile to get through. We will keep seeing teams do the exact same in the future because it's clear that it works against us time and again.

We dominated the ball in benign areas, but we certainly didn't dominate the game. Southampton dominated the entire tie with their tactics. They sussed us out perfectly and played us perfectly. I'm as passionate a Red as anyone, but lets be honest here. Kidding ourselves doesn't help us to pick ourselves up and move forward. We could have had more luck in this game.; few things actually ran for us, but we were beaten by a side who have done their homework on us and played it accordingly.

I'm not trying to be negative here either. I like to look at the positives in life, but I also think it wise to call it as it is sometimes. I think Klopp has too much quality for him not to work this out, but as it stands, we've been sussed and teams will continue to play this way against us until we suss out how to beat such clearly effective tactics. Until then, expect us to have the vast majority of the ball, but most of it stood in front of a well drilled ten man defence who are waiting to press us when it matters then hit us on the break.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #554 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:04 pm »
Just cannot understand this 'well at least it wasn't a league game' attitude. We've effectively just handed the trophy to Jose Mourinho.
Really? I know it's harder in finals but Southampton aren't like a Wigan or Brum or someone like that, a team getting to the final with no track record of playing well in big games whatsoever.

Southampton, in league and cups, have been playing well against very good teams for a long time now. Mourinho's Utd aren't exactly incisive - unless they choke they really shouldn't be easy to break down.

I hope Utd have the same attitude as you, certainly.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:06 pm »

Personally, I think they would have wanted to face us based on our form lately. Southampton could very well beat them.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:08 pm »
To not to score in both games. Not sure how anyone can say we were unlucky. We were rubbish, that's a simple truth.
And failed in the league game too.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:10 pm »
I disagree about the wide players, for me we lacked pace off the ball, something which mane has in abundance and uses it cleverly, even when he's not on the ball.hes drawing the attention of the opposition, opening space for others. We don't have that, it's so compact, that's why I've wanted to see Moreno more lately becsuse if he overlaps and doesn't get the ball he might draw a defender away. If we had another wide man that could beat a man or quickly move to open a passing lane then it would benefit us greatly

You can draw defenders away if they're not playing disciplined football. But the overriding feature of the teams that beat us recently is that they've packed the middle and the half spaces against us, playing compact. They basically all gave us the sides and said 'try to beat us'.

Case in point tonight was AA and his running. He isn't slow by any means of the imagination. He's been able to get to the byline all game, but you see that none of their defenders were drawn out to the wide positions to open up the space in the middle. They don't have to, they basically just gave us the area outside the box and packed it in the middle by forcing us out wide. Then they had Romeu and Davis coming out at the top of the box so that we can't cut in. This happened all evening. Pace would have done nothing.

This happened during the Swansea game too. We lack the incisiveness down the middle, and we aren't playing as compact as we did earlier in the season.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #558 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:13 pm »
We made Redmond look like Kostadinov

Who?
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 0 - S'hampton 0 [0-1 Aggregate]
« Reply #559 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:32 pm »
I've been criticising Can for a while, maybe not on here but speaking about us every where else. He played well tonight though, guess the problem with the average footy fan is they're too stupid to at least see when an under-performing player has a good match.

Wouldn't go as far to say he had a good game but he was no worse than the other guys out there.  Thing thing for me is that him and Hendo seem to occupy the same space and I don't think our midfield has ever looked balanced when they have both started, the passing is mostly slow and sideways lacking creativity.  Our midfield has looked best with the Hendo/Lallana/Gini combo In my opinion