Author Topic: Results Comparison 2016/17  (Read 31779 times)

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
Results Comparison 2016/17
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:48:22 am »
I'm another lazy badtard who relies on the results comparison and the aplt to keep sane when all around me have lost their heads.

Alright, I'll try and keep this up if I can (Click to enlarge):

Shaded cells are teams that have been replaced.

And this is how I've replaced promoted/relegated teams over the seasons:

« Last Edit: November 6, 2016, 05:25:26 pm by Deo »
"Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
Re: Re: Results Comparison 2015/16
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 10:51:34 am »
Should I open up a new thread for the 16/17 season btw?
"Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 10:57:07 am »
You've replaced the Burnley result this season with Newcastle last season?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:01:05 am »
You've replaced the Burnley result this season with Newcastle last season?

Yes. Burnley won the championship, Newcastle finished 18th. I think it's a fair swap?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 11:05:59 am »
Yes. Burnley won the championship, Newcastle finished 18th. I think it's a fair swap?
I'd have gone for Bournemouth as them and Burnley were both promoted as champions. Seems a more realistic comparison against newly promoted teams. Just my opinion like  :wave
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 11:11:00 am »
I'd have gone for Bournemouth as them and Burnley were both promoted as champions. Seems a more realistic comparison against newly promoted teams. Just my opinion like  :wave

But Bournemouth were in the PL last season, so I can't swap them. I have to swap promoted sides with relegated ones.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 02:19:01 pm »
2 points up on 13/14. It's in our sights lads!

Offline Art of Lies

• The anime Effes. RAWK never forgets the tentacles.
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 03:39:57 pm »
Should I open up a new thread for the 16/17 season btw?

It would make it more visible and it was done in other years so why not? Personally I find this thread and the APL very helpful during the season.
'If I had known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.'

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 04:37:33 pm »
It would make it more visible and it was done in other years so why not? Personally I find this thread and the APL very helpful during the season.

Apparently I can't open any new threads anymore. :p

Somebody is gonna have to do it for me.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 04:44:08 pm »
Apparently I can't open any new threads anymore. [emoji14]

Somebody is gonna have to do it for me.
Nice one Deo. Stepped up when all about you were staring sheepishly at the floor.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »
Well that's a bit depressing.  Other than Arsenal away, we're doing exactly the same as last season.

Our run in looks difficult too, although you wouldn't guess it just looking at the teams.

Would it be possible to mark down which of last season's results were managed by Klopp and which by Rodgers?
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 05:48:40 pm »
Nice one Deo. Stepped up when all about you were staring sheepishly at the floor.

;)

Well that's a bit depressing.  Other than Arsenal away, we're doing exactly the same as last season.

Our run in looks difficult too, although you wouldn't guess it just looking at the teams.

Would it be possible to mark down which of last season's results were managed by Klopp and which by Rodgers?

Sure, that's not a problem.

To be honest, with Klopp, our real challenge is getting those points from the smaller teams we should have had last season. That has been our main weakness, and not the bigger games we've played, so it isn't too much of a surprise that we're only two points ahead right now.

But look at it this way: Win the next three games, and we'll be eight points ahead. None of Hull, Swansea, or United are playing particularly well this season, so it's entirely doable. Then we can play the same until our last six games and still have a good shot at a champions league spot. Also, what the table isn't showing is that although we're only two points ahead, we've taken three points from both Arsenal and Chelsea who are our direct rivals. Our loss against Burnley is unfortunate, but I'd rather take a win at Arsenal and a loss at Burnley than the other way around. But certainly, consistency is the key.

Considering the way we're playing currently, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that we'll probably be there about, close to the top, come April. We're playing well, and we have a favorable fixture list to look ahead to without the Europa League or Champions League getting in our way. With a bit of luck with injuries, we should challenge for the title IMO.

Anyway, can some mod give me the ability to open up threads? Or at least open up one for me?

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 02:40:38 pm »

Great job. Thank you very much for doing this. I'm sure someone will be along soon to let you open a new thread so you can update the OP.

Really appreciate it, Deo.

PS. I'm probably being thick but shouldn't 'Burnley' (Newcastle) 13/14 be -1 Pt not -2 Pts?

Offline TheBigRedFatPanda

• Main Stander
  • I'm a people's man, only the people matter- Shanks
Re: Results Comparison 2016/17
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 06:07:11 pm »
Great Idea! Like these threads that show a comparison. Thanks Deo for putting this together.

How about using a new colour for a previous years result which was against a different team (currently relegated)? Obviously this new colour does not tell you win/loss/draw but you can easily gauge that by looking at whether Liverpool was home or away and the score. This would keep people like me sane at not recognizing a result against a particular team.

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 07:40:49 pm »
This is cool! :D

Great job. Thank you very much for doing this. I'm sure someone will be along soon to let you open a new thread so you can update the OP.

Really appreciate it, Deo.

PS. I'm probably being thick but shouldn't 'Burnley' (Newcastle) 13/14 be -1 Pt not -2 Pts?

Thanks for pointing it out! I probably made more mistakes, though I did that in a haste and didn't review it properly. Will fixit ASAP.

Great Idea! Like these threads that show a comparison. Thanks Deo for putting this together.

How about using a new colour for a previous years result which was against a different team (currently relegated)? Obviously this new colour does not tell you win/loss/draw but you can easily gauge that by looking at whether Liverpool was home or away and the score. This would keep people like me sane at not recognizing a result against a particular team.

My pleasure!

And yeah, I was thinking of doing that somehow. I put up this table on excel, though I probably need to do a better visual representation of the data somehow since this looks so outdated. Heck, I was thinking of doing a table with actual links that you could click to get you to the particular matches on a website that keeps track of them.

Will have to refine it...

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 07:58:42 am »
I hate to bring this up but Chelsea at Anfield in 13/14 was 0-2 not 1-2.

I put up this table on excel, though I probably need to do a better visual representation of the data somehow since this looks so outdated.

I think it's great as it is.

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 10:17:29 am »
I hate to bring this up but Chelsea at Anfield in 13/14 was 0-2 not 1-2.
I think it's great as it is.

Oh yeah, I probably added last year's result to that one, thanks for pointing it out! Hopefully there aren't too many other mistakes.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 10:56:39 am »
This is cool! :D

Thanks for pointing it out! I probably made more mistakes, though I did that in a haste and didn't review it properly. Will fixit ASAP.

My pleasure!

And yeah, I was thinking of doing that somehow. I put up this table on excel, though I probably need to do a better visual representation of the data somehow since this looks so outdated. Heck, I was thinking of doing a table with actual links that you could click to get you to the particular matches on a website that keeps track of them.

Yes, an excellent thread. Regarding different colours, is it possibly to "shade" a cell, perhaps with diagonal line in light grey, to show it is a different team that has replaced a relegated team?

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 12:45:44 pm »
Glad to see this thread going, thnx Deo.

A little contribution, table of matches between the "top 6" plus Everton & Leicester.

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 02:24:46 pm »
Yes, an excellent thread. Regarding different colours, is it possibly to "shade" a cell, perhaps with diagonal line in light grey, to show it is a different team that has replaced a relegated team?

Yeah, I've thought of that. Will have to see what works best!

Glad to see this thread going, thnx Deo.

A little contribution, table of matches between the "top 6" plus Everton & Leicester.

I wanted to do this myself, but this works! Can you update it every week? Or shall I do it myself?

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 05:18:42 am »
Another +0 in the points differential, but a nice +3 in our GD.

The next 2 league matches, Swansea away and ManU at home ought to be better tests of how strong we actually are since we lost both of those last season.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 09:23:47 am »
Updated Top 8 table

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 10:48:00 am »

Updated the main table too. Shaded the games that have been replaced in the previous seasons. :)

Offline PoetryInMotion96

• Anny Roader
  • His First Name Is Lucas
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 11:23:33 am »
Great thread will keep an eye.  8)

Offline Kopite1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 01:45:54 pm »
Interestingly, despite the feel good factor for LFC and several other clubs after 6 games using the format above it reads:

Leicester -2 projected total 79
Man City +10 = 76
Arsenal +2 = 73
Man U + 6 = 72
Spurs +0 = 70
Liverpool +2 = 62
Chelsea +2 = 52
Everton + 5 = 52

Those next 3 games for Liverpool will really show if we are making big inroads into the points tally for the season.

Proud to be "An Internet Terrorist"

SOS# 1159

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2016, 03:31:35 pm »
So anything more than one point over the next three fixtures will be an improvement on said three fixtures from last season? On top of the fact we're already +2 on last season? I like our odds!
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2016, 04:15:14 pm »
If we were to WDWD the next four fixtures (not sure if I'd take that; I'd rather take WWWL haha) we'd be +6 on last season from the first 10 games.

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 10:21:39 am »
Interestingly, despite the feel good factor for LFC and several other clubs after 6 games using the format above it reads:

Leicester -2 projected total 79
Man City +10 = 76

The other way of looking at it is that, after 6 games, Leicester is -2, so -0.333 per game.  That is -13 over a full season, so a projected 68 points.

Whereas MCity being +10 after 6 games, is an improvement of 1.67 per game, or a 63 point improvement, which is off the charts.  But, at the moment, it's looking very unlikely that they will fail to improve on the 58 points from the 96 available that they obtained last season.

We were 6 points behind MCI last season, and so our improvement, per game, will need to be better than MCI's improvement by 0.16 points per game.

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 11:50:47 am »

This is the 36th season of 3 points for a win.

This season is the 8th time that we have reached as many as 13 points after 6 games.  In other words, this season is in the top 25% of our best starts.

Our best at this stage is 18 points, in 1990/91, and we eventually finished second with 76 points.

Our second best is 16 points, in 1987/88, and we eventually finished first with 90 points from 40 games (86 points from the first 38 games).

We have reached 14 points four times:

1982/83:  finished first with 82 points from 42 games (81 from the first 38 games).

1983/84:  finished first with 80 points from 42 games (74 from the first 38 games).

1996/97:  finished fourth with 68 points.

2008/09:  finished second with 86 points.

This season's total of 13 has been exactly matched once before, in 2013/14.  That season we came second with 84 points.

Interestingly, while we finished that 2013/2014 season with 101 goals, we only had 8 of those goals after the first 6 games.

This season's total of 16 goals from the first 6 league games was last matched in 2009/10, and before that 1990/91 and 1989/90 (9 of which were in one game, vs Palace) and 1987/88.

The last time that LFC scored more than 16 goals in the first 6 league games was 1978/79.  We had 20 goals from our first six games (all wins).  We ended up as champions, with the highest ever points haul under the 2-point system.

Online drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 03:43:38 pm »
2009/10 was such a strange season. Started well (-ish), finished poorly.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #30 on: October 1, 2016, 03:01:14 pm »
Last season from today's game and the next two, we got one point. We already have three with six to play for. Definitely on the up ;D

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 1, 2016, 05:26:24 pm »
last 6 games we had only 3 points hmmm can see atleast 12 this time.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #32 on: October 1, 2016, 11:46:08 pm »
+5 after 7 games which on PPM means +27 after 38 games for an 87 point total.

....in my world.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 2, 2016, 06:30:04 am »
Okay, so Saturday's result makes us +5 points with a +8 GD over last season in just 7 matches.

Hard to believe we're doing even better than our fantastic 13/14 season.

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 2, 2016, 12:25:38 pm »
+5 after 7 games which on PPM means +27 after 38 games for an 87 point total.

....in my world.

Yeah, mine too.

I'm more than happy to be that optimistic.

Unfortunately, my pessimism also kicks in and makes me think that 87 points will not be enough to beat Pep's Man City.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #35 on: October 2, 2016, 12:30:58 pm »
Yes, that's my worry. I think it's between them and us and they're the favorites.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 2, 2016, 12:37:39 pm »

This is the 36th season of 3 points for a win.

In that period, this season is the 6th best start after 7 games. 

Our best at this stage is 21 points, in 1990/91, and we eventually finished second with 76 points.

Our second best is 19 points, in 1987/88, and we eventually finished first with 90 points from 40 games (86 points from the first 38 games).

We have reached 17 points three times:

1982/83:  finished first with 82 points from 42 games (81 from the first 38 games).

1996/97:  finished fourth with 68 points.

2008/09:  finished second with 86 points.

This season's total of 16 points was also matched in 2013/14 (and that season we came second with 84 points).  However, in 2013/14, the Goal Difference was +6, which is slightly worse than this season's Goal Difference of +8.

As an aside, in 2013/14, we had 11 Goals Scored by this stage (and finished with 101).  We're ahead of that this season: 18 Goals Scored in first 7 games.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 2, 2016, 04:10:48 pm »
Looks good  ;D

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 10:02:06 pm »
Top 8 Table updated

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:23 pm »
Totally forgot to update this. Will do ASAP.