Author Topic: Advent Calendar Day 2 - Norwich 2 v 5 Liverpool 29/09/2012  (Read 4022 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Advent Calendar Day 2 - Norwich 2 v 5 Liverpool 29/09/2012
« on: December 1, 2015, 01:02:14 am »
I've had some fun times watching Liverpool on the road. The Community Shield Final in 2006 (and beating Birmingham 7-1 in the Cup in the same year), the aways at Fulham and West Ham in the 2013/2014 season in our run-in, and the even better 5-2 at Fulham when Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez ran down the wing and bagged a hat-trick. A far cry from my first Liverpool game ever, at the age of 11 sitting in the home end at Filbert Street seeing us go down 1-0 to a late Tony Cottee goal. Still, it didn't put me off...

My favourite away trip to date was our visit to Norwich in September 2012. Brendan's first season in charge had gotten off to a shaky start, with only 2 points from our first 5 games (I forgot it was actually that bad), which included visits to Anfield by City, United and Arsenal. The City game was on my wedding day, kept surreptitiously up to date with the score by a friend, and the Arsenal game took place on our honeymoon, watched from a bar in Montenegro. I was keen to get a first opportunity to see the new manager and managed to bag three tickets off the exchange, which were hugely appreciated. A couple of friends who are huge reds who don't get to go to many games were dead keen (they live in South America; 12 months later we were sitting together in a remote cabin in the Chilean Andes listening to Liverpool play Southampton on internet radio, they're very keen :D). We set off from London at a respectable 11am, and as usual the trains into East Anglia might has well have been going to Narnia.

Arrived, popped to Morrisons for the food and picked up the tickets. My friends had never really been on RAWK so went completely on trust that the tickets were genuine and above board. I was hugely relieved when they were legit...   ;D A quick visit to the Compleat Angler for a pint, and a great atmosphere as boisterous reds sang song after song, still optimistic about the future under our new manager. Bumped into Sir Harvest Fields briefly on the way out, which was memorable, as anyone lucky enough to meet Carl will testify. Joined in with the singing and caught the end of the lunchtime kick-off on the TV, then off to Carrow Road.

Headed to the game, lots of singing (the Lucas Leiva song getting a good airing, though wasn't sure if people kept singing it around me cos' I had his name on my shirt...). Away fans in full voice, particularly enthusiastically singing a song about the demise of a former Conservative PM that is now redundant to the tune of a gripe about Suarez's lack of penalties. Glorious, clear day, and confidence even when the team comes through. Wow, Rodgers had faith in our younger players. Wisdom, Suso and Sterling all starting as Carra, Henderson and Downing sat on the bench. Excitement - the future of the club given a chance to shine!

What a start! Buzzing from the off after Suarez calmly fires home from the edge of the box. Nervy at times, as our defence sometimes opened up far too easily, but on the whole we were a pleasure to watch. A delight to see Suso, Sterling and Wisdom acquitting themselves so well. Suarez brought down in the box, no pen. The song again. Then, one of the funniest and most karmic moments on a football pitch, and perhaps my favourite at a Liverpool away game. Suarez endures the stick of the home end, as he misses a sitter, a one on one with the keeper. He gets absolutely barracked by the home fans, hoots of derision from all four sides of the stadium. Calmly, he robs the defender after a miscontrol from the goal kick, cuts inside and finishes beautifully. Norwich silenced, and we all went absolutely crazy.

Nerves at the start of the second half, when Norwich somehow missed chances, before blink-and-you-forgot-he-played-for-us Sahin bagged the 3rd and finally felt safe. Suarez bags a hat-trick against his favourite opponents and the party is in full swing, 'ole-ing' every pass as Norwich chased shadows. Norwich pull one back before Gerrard adds a fifth, a late second for the hosts not coming close to denting the buzz as we leave after a hugely enjoyable game. A brilliant train ride back with more drinking, singing and some decent chat with Liverpool and Norwich fans who couldn't compliment us highly enough, and were very impressed by our young side.

I've had aways where I've by complete coincidence met players at the hotel before the game, where I've seen us lift trophies, complete routs and bag last minute winners in crucial fixtures.  But this always sticks in my mind. A great day out with some old friends, a fantastic football match and a good place to visit as an away fan. Rodgers' first league win and one more game in Suarez's love affair with Norwich.

<a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xtz85z" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xtz85z</a>

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Advent Calendar Day 2 - Norwich 2 v 5 Liverpool 29/09/2012
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2015, 09:14:11 am »
looking great mate
Yep.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 2, 2015, 01:56:49 am »
Day 2 thanks to Jersey Kopite. Great away day at Norwich!
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #3 on: December 2, 2015, 02:06:02 am »
That was a nice day, cant remember what i was doing myself but it was good. Brilliant Op Jerseykoppite I remembered that sitter Suarez missed, and the instant retribution, happy days.
YNWA

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 2, 2015, 02:07:41 am »
What a game.  I'll never forget Suarez scoring while the Norwich fans were still giving it to him for missing that chance.  That moment summed Suarez up in a nutshell.  It was fucking hilarious.  Cheers for posting!

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #5 on: December 2, 2015, 06:54:13 am »
Cheers for this - a great read!

This game sticks in my head as well. I'd just moved to Paris and my new roommate and I went to watch the football in Corcorans in St Michel. The moment we walked in we both clocked a very pretty Scottish girl sitting at the bar chatting to our mate the barman and decided we'd take her under our wing. My roommate being a Man U fan (but otherwise a very nice bloke) we had to sit through them beating Stoke, a game enlivened by the Scottish girl, her friends who turned up, and a somewhat inventive drinking game that I lost. Badly.

By the time the match came round I was well on my way to being lubricated - to the point where I had to watch the replay of the 3rd goal about 4 times before I stopped chanting about Suso - and it was one of those magical occasions where the underlying optimism about our new boss (which had started with a very creditable draw/performance against City) tied in perfectly with the buzz from the drink and being sat with new friends at the start of a year in one of the world's great cities. One of those times where the football matches and accentuates your mood and gives you a cloud to walk on for the rest of the day.

Suffice to say I'm not entirely sure how that day ended, but I will always remember that match for the simple fact that it made me very, very happy. There was no tension like there was in the title run-ins in 2008/9 and 2013/14, or pressure like in the various cup finals I've seen over the past 10-15 years. It was simple and pure enjoyment of watching your team win a game of football, play well, and give you hope for the future. And that is something worth remembering.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #6 on: December 2, 2015, 09:37:53 am »
Cheers all :wave

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #7 on: December 2, 2015, 10:22:27 am »
Lovely stuff!

Great away day! The memories of Suarez getting dogs abuse from the Norwich fans, and then minutes later robbing them and scoring and shutting him up - beautiful!

Made it onto MOTD that night too - applauding Gerrard's goal!

Does anyone remember what game 'We're gonna have a party, when Suarez gets a pen!' came from? Was it this one? I remember singing it later in the season - Reading away for example, but I can't remember where it started really.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #8 on: December 2, 2015, 10:43:02 am »
Lovely stuff!

Great away day! The memories of Suarez getting dogs abuse from the Norwich fans, and then minutes later robbing them and scoring and shutting him up - beautiful!

Made it onto MOTD that night too - applauding Gerrard's goal!

Does anyone remember what game 'We're gonna have a party, when Suarez gets a pen!' came from? Was it this one? I remember singing it later in the season - Reading away for example, but I can't remember where it started really.

I think it was this one. Started as the Maggie song and the words got changed after he was bundled over and nothing given.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #9 on: December 2, 2015, 01:25:39 pm »
Great read, JK!  ;D

Aaahhhh, Suárez and Norwich... what a wonderful combination indeed. This friday marks the two-year anniversary (TWO YEARS HAVE ALREADY GONE BY? WHAT THE FUCK) from that Suárez four-goal demolition of Norwich at Anfield, which included 2 of the most amazing goals he scored for us (and a superb free-kick). I know he's not coming back anytime soon, but I can't help to miss the mad bastard.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2015, 01:27:13 pm by Desert Red Fox »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: December 2, 2015, 01:59:35 pm »
Pah, was only Suarez's third best hat trick versus Norwich, what's all the fuss about! :D

Cheers JK, I remember being pleasantly surprised checking the score after ten minutes. Five games without a win at the start of the season where performances had been mixed (with some encouraging signs) and then it all clicked in that game. Sahin looked a player too!

Offline ErieRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: December 2, 2015, 02:52:07 pm »
That Suarez goal, eh?  What an amazing 30 seconds of football, something that should be shown in every instructional video ever made.  Yeah, the skill was on display but it was the mentality that blew you away.  Luis knew that hanging your head was a luxury that couldn't be indulged for long.  You could see how devastated he was at shanking the initial shot, but a split second later the lights came back on and if anything the crowd's reaction to his miss got him even more amped up than ever.  What a fucking player!  Despite all the breathtaking moments he produced, it's this goal and the 2-0 goal at Stoke in January of 2014 (where he wouldn't quit chasing a clearance before finally bullying the ball into the net) that are my favorites.  You can't teach that kind of determination. 

This is timely for me since just yesterday I was watching this video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1dLiLDV6dPY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1dLiLDV6dPY</a>

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 5, 2015, 07:34:17 pm »
We beat Birmingham 7-0 in the FA Cup in 2006, not 7-1. I'll never forget the Brum fan who was behind me in the queue for the bar give up and go home before he'd even managed to get served.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #13 on: December 5, 2015, 08:19:18 pm »
Will always be a special memory for me, this was my son's first game. 7 year old and I told him don't expect this every game!

'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 08:52:09 am »
enjoyed that
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 11:06:53 pm »
Cheers for this - a great read!

This game sticks in my head as well. I'd just moved to Paris and my new roommate and I went to watch the football in Corcorans in St Michel. The moment we walked in we both clocked a very pretty Scottish girl sitting at the bar chatting to our mate the barman and decided we'd take her under our wing. My roommate being a Man U fan (but otherwise a very nice bloke) we had to sit through them beating Stoke, a game enlivened by the Scottish girl, her friends who turned up, and a somewhat inventive drinking game that I lost. Badly.

By the time the match came round I was well on my way to being lubricated - to the point where I had to watch the replay of the 3rd goal about 4 times before I stopped chanting about Suso - and it was one of those magical occasions where the underlying optimism about our new boss (which had started with a very creditable draw/performance against City) tied in perfectly with the buzz from the drink and being sat with new friends at the start of a year in one of the world's great cities. One of those times where the football matches and accentuates your mood and gives you a cloud to walk on for the rest of the day.

Suffice to say I'm not entirely sure how that day ended, but I will always remember that match for the simple fact that it made me very, very happy. There was no tension like there was in the title run-ins in 2008/9 and 2013/14, or pressure like in the various cup finals I've seen over the past 10-15 years. It was simple and pure enjoyment of watching your team win a game of football, play well, and give you hope for the future. And that is something worth remembering.

Good stuff mate, I have very fond memories of my 3 years of watching just about every LFC game in the bars of Paris - didn't hurt that they happened to be Rafa's first 3 years at Anfield.

I assume by now you must have hooked up with the Liverpool france mob? They arrange regular trips to Anfield (easyjet direct to John Lennon!) And are a real committed bunch. They were based at th eRush Bar on rue Saint Sebastien (metres from the Bataclan) in my time, but a lot of the recent e-newsletters have spoken of the Lush Bar on rue des Dames in the 17th, which was the street I lived on. Anyway, I would cycle across town for every weekend game, or get the metro on those European nights, and many an outing would end at 4am playing pool in Clichy or staggering about the Champs Elysees speaking better French than ever before. The highlights were many, but the Gerrard Final (on a day when Hammers fans had invaded the Rush and taunted us mercilessly when it looked like Paul Fucking Koncesky had won it) and the must-win game in Marseilles when Kewell and Torres tore them to shreds for a 4-0 demolition, which I watched with awestruck French colleagues, topped the bunch. Hope you're accumulating a nice bunch of memories for yourself.