Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calender 2014 #8 Gerrard vs Fulham 2014  (Read 2978 times)

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
RAWK Advent Calender 2014 #8 Gerrard vs Fulham 2014
« on: December 7, 2014, 11:05:54 pm »
Here we go lads, hope it is ok. Edit as you see fit.  :wave
Could someone embed this link for me, please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvWQB72C01g

A Winter’s Tale

We had a video in the house called 501 great goals. I’m not sure if I ever watched all 501 indeed I don’t know if all of them were great. And seeing as they were all from before 1992 they probably don’t matter anyway.
What always got on my goat was that there were penalties in there. 40 yard screamers, diving headers, wonderful team goals and penalties.
You have a free shot, yards out “all the pressure is on the kicker” aye right. It’s their job! Decent penalty, great goal? Load of shit.

It’s either a routine win or a battle down at Craven Cottage from memory of recent seasons. Maxi Rodriguez running down the wing. A shit Danny Welbeck scoring a hat-trick. Mason. Friend.  Enough said.

It’s funny how you’re mind can play tricks. When I volunteered for this I was genuinely surprised to see the date of this fixture was 12th Feb . Really, I suppose all the last twelve league games just fell into a blur of goals and optimism and no little disbelief in many respects. Could we? Will we?
We never won anything last season. And many of our favourite goals evoke memories of great trophy triumphs. All to be celebrated, without a doubt, but last season will always go down as one of my favourites.
Not a regular match goer, so when I have the good fortune to get to see the mighty reds it’s something that I cherish. For me, going to the game is so different in terms of emotions rather than watching it on telly. That collective euphoria or disappointment or seething rage is quite something more than screaming at your tv like a loon.

So it came to pass anyway, a season of defining moments this was one of them.
February it was, and reflecting on it properly I do remember freezing my nuts courtesy of a cheeky little breeze off the Thames at half time and simultaneously getting the roof of my mouth burned off by a some sort of meat pie (£9 probably, good times). 

My memories of that night can be summed up in 3 words: Kolo: belief; Stevie
Kolo had a bit of a horror show really. Calamitous own goal and general heart in mouth defending. Amidst it all, he stood there, arms outstretched with ‘I’ve got this’ gestures.
When you know your team is playing well and progressing it gives you a strange sense of belief. Even though at times we were conspiring to lose this game I always thought we’d find a way.

Going forward, we were patient. Pressing and looking dangerous.
But the clock ticks down and the doubts begin to come.
Coutinho had a shot that just shaved the upright and you’re thinking is it going to be our day?
He made no mistake when presented with a similar chance later. Then it just becomes a battle. Tactics, formation? Who the fuck wants it more is the bottom line.

Sturridge (remember him?) goes down. Penalty!! And that’s always a weird one because people tend to celebrate it like a goal even though the ball isn’t in the back of the net.
So there we all were, in the Putney end and the collective intake of breath was taken.
Right footed to the inside of the left hand post. Saveable height looking at it again but too much pace on it. I think it could have made it as 502. And the celebration of our captain after it. He knew, we all did.

A favourite goal. It’s all about the emotion, the occasion and the pressure. What followed makes it even better.  I’ve been looking at it again and again in the last few days, in the knowledge that I was in that crowd behind going ballistic.  The ‘We are Liverpool’ for the next 5 mins was amazing to be a part of. Walking to the pub after with fans singing and fists pumping. There is nothing like it.

Some bright spark kicked it off on the round table when he got home:

Penalties? The celebration when they are awarded. Then that strange mix of hope and despair before they are taken. Then it's slotted home by our captain and we are 4 points off the top. Love it.

To be there to share in that joy at the end. The individual and collective belief that we are going to do something special.

Maybe we will, maybe we won't but it's great to be part of it.

And I love this to, sums it up:

It was magic mate, there was about 7 or 8 of us all piled into a mass man hug scrum and then we all fell on our arses, laughing our bollocks off, fists pumping and screaming 'it's on!! it's fucking on!!' The whole Putney end erupted, for a few brief seconds it was like the Kop against Chelsea in '05. Something big happened last night and everyone in the away end felt it.

I’ve loved thinking about it, writing about it and watching it again.

Merry Christmas ya miserable gits!

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: RAWK Advent Calender 2014 #8 Gerrard vs Fulham 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2014, 12:46:22 am »
Marvellous.  Merry Christmas ya miserable old git.   ;) ;D :wanker
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2014, 11:18:50 am »
Happy 8th and thanks Archie! I've no idea how to embed but here is a lovely write up on a smashing goal.
Yep.

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2014, 12:06:28 pm »
Great stuff, I was behind the goal for that one and the whole stand went ballistic. The 'Neutral End' wasn't very neutral ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #4 on: December 8, 2014, 12:11:00 pm »
Great stuff, I was behind the goal for that one and the whole stand went ballistic. The 'Neutral End' wasn't very neutral ;D

Me too, it was unbelievably crazy. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2014, 12:17:49 pm »
Something about Fulham away and late winners that fuels belief for a title run in - Yossi's goal there is a big favourite too.

I remember the after match thread in here when someone was talking about the reaction when the penalty was given and then scored. I think he turned his TV or radio off, wandered outside, checked on his phone and said "very well" in a calm voice!

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: December 8, 2014, 12:20:21 pm »
There's more to that story..cant believe you've not told the RAWK masses that your ticket was sorted out for you by Lucas Podolski... ::)
+6 ticket exchange

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2014, 12:22:27 pm »
Something about Fulham away and late winners that fuels belief for a title run in - Yossi's goal there is a big favourite too.

I remember the after match thread in here when someone was talking about the reaction when the penalty was given and then scored. I think he turned his TV or radio off, wandered outside, checked on his phone and said "very well" in a calm voice!

Haha, I remember reading that too, slightly different from my reaction which I think was basically just indecipherable noise coming from my mouth. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2014, 12:54:38 pm »
just sat in my folks living room doing this for about 15 mins after
http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/daniel-bryan-yes-cheer.gif?w=300
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline livesound

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »
What a strange night this was. I thought at 2-1 we'd never come back but there is always the slightest belief at the back of my mind.

Reminded back in 09 when Yossi scored that late winner and I thought it was destined again. Wrong I was both times but both seasons were fantastic.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2014, 09:14:20 pm »
A great away day and that celebration after the penalty went in set us off that night :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 8, 2014, 09:21:25 pm »
The strangest thing is, I completely forgot about that game (I know, I know) and missed almost all of it, turned on with 5 or 6 minutes to go and then that goal :)

Beautifully written :)
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #12 on: December 8, 2014, 11:02:08 pm »
I was stood in the very back row of the Putney stand watching this game unfold.

We'd smashed Arsenal just a few days before but it looked like we were going to escape with a lucky point when Sturridge was hacked down and we had the chance to take the lead - for the first time in 90 minutes!!

The away end erupted, Gerrard went mad - off came his shirt.  A flare was lit, and that result gave us the belief that we could challenge for the title.  Which we did.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #13 on: December 8, 2014, 11:26:13 pm »
Nice read, thanks, Archie. Love Fulham games, nice ground.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 8, 2014, 11:33:46 pm »
Toure telling everyone to calm the fuck down was hilarious. Loved it.

Can't remember his exact words but Neil Atkinson on the anfield wrap talking about this fulham game ; "Steven Gerrard doesn't wave his shirt above his head for 4th place"
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 9, 2014, 08:48:59 am »
Toure telling everyone to calm the fuck down was hilarious. Loved it.

Can't remember his exact words but Neil Atkinson on the anfield wrap talking about this fulham game ; "Steven Gerrard doesn't wave his shirt above his head for 4th place"
was the game toure knocked the ref over too

plus the game of the traffic camera

where is that thread?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 9, 2014, 08:53:30 am »
Excellent read mate. Like you, I'm surprised it was that long ago. What final third of the the season that was. Shame how it ended but these kind of moments are still special.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 9, 2014, 11:48:38 am »
was the game toure knocked the ref over too

plus the game of the traffic camera

where is that thread?

God yeah, there was all that panic about the game possibly being postponed wasn't there?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #18 on: December 9, 2014, 11:50:21 am »
God yeah, there was all that panic about the game possibly being postponed wasn't there?

Yeah was really windy and all local transport was fucked (took me ages to trek home from work). Maybe there was  tube strike thrown in for good measure too - I remember the talk of lots of stations near the ground being closed.

The Abbey Road webcam was brilliant - the pre match thread suddenly went through the roof. :D

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #19 on: December 9, 2014, 12:36:47 pm »
Here was the pre-match thread (cracking OP too... ;) )

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=311947.msg12463163#msg12463163

There was the threat of a tube strike, but it was called off.  However, there were gales blowing across the country at the time, and the Everton v Crystal Palace and Man City v Sunderland games were called off.  I even think part of Goodison blew away!  :D

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 9, 2014, 12:41:13 pm »
haha brilliant

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.