Author Topic: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)  (Read 64079 times)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2014, 03:25:35 pm »
Spoiler

Lester is a bad shithouse for doing that. Disgusting behaviour, I don't think even Walter White would have stooped that low!

As for the scene with Malvo and Molly's dad. When they were going on about those killings in '69 I got the impression that Malvo knew it was him who killed them. Or would he have been too young?

[close]

Spoiler
I thought he said '79, which given BBT is in his mid-50's would just about fit. I'll have to check back again.   In any case it was two men beautifully dancing around a point, with both men knowing exactly what the other meant.  Great writing.

BTW, when Agents Key and Peele were talking about their Rabbit/Fox/Cabbage problem, did anyone else think of Gareth in the Office Training Day episode with his refill pad: 'Just a few questions...'    :D   My second Office flashback in two weeks after the stapler last week.

[close]
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2014, 10:24:03 pm »
Spoiler
I thought he said '79, which given BBT is in his mid-50's would just about fit. I'll have to check back again.   In any case it was two men beautifully dancing around a point, with both men knowing exactly what the other meant.  Great writing.

BTW, when Agents Key and Peele were talking about their Rabbit/Fox/Cabbage problem, did anyone else think of Gareth in the Office Training Day episode with his refill pad: 'Just a few questions...'    :D   My second Office flashback in two weeks after the stapler last week.

[close]

Spoiler
Was definitely '79. That scene between BBT and Carradine was one of the best from the whole season. I also loved the preceding scene when Malvo told the new owner of Lester's house about the murders that took place there and the noises Lester used to hear with the owner's kids standing right there. Nothing has summed up his character better than that moment. I couldn't help but laugh.
[close]
Justice For The 96

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2014, 07:43:40 am »
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Loved that scene, Keith Carradine's great.

Spoiler
Also strange that he didn't seem to get hurt when Lester smashed him over the head with the award and the fact that he disappeared from the basement in the first episode.

Can't work out why Malve had to kill them in the elevator. Couldn't he have just said hello to Lester without blowing his cover?
[close]

Spoiler
He didn't have to kill them - he could have managed to smooth it over - but he was making a point to Lester. That's how evil Malvo is. "Do you want to do this Lester?..." The dentist persona was interesting as it filled in the background for the pastor identity earlier in the series. He goes deep undercover for months to build up a character and gain trust. But it's still just a job (though one he clearly enjoys) and one that pays extremely well if he can pass over a bounty of that size to make a point.

I think Lester knew the consequences of what he was saying in the lift. That if he pushed it something bad would happen to the others. Sideshowme said this is like Breaking Bad and it is in some ways but Walter White became Heisenberg, a man who had the balls to do horrendous things even though the chemistry teacher side of him was still there inside. Lester is a complete shithouse - he beat his first wife to death with a hammer in a fit of impotent anger but otherwise the deaths that he's responsible for have been passive. His new salesman of the year persona is all front and he knows it deep down.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2014, 03:50:00 pm »
Still not available to download! WTF.

When does anyone think it will be 'out'?
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2014, 04:12:32 pm »
Spoiler
He didn't have to kill them - he could have managed to smooth it over - but he was making a point to Lester. That's how evil Malvo is. "Do you want to do this Lester?..." The dentist persona was interesting as it filled in the background for the pastor identity earlier in the series. He goes deep undercover for months to build up a character and gain trust. But it's still just a job (though one he clearly enjoys) and one that pays extremely well if he can pass over a bounty of that size to make a point.

I think Lester knew the consequences of what he was saying in the lift. That if he pushed it something bad would happen to the others. Sideshowme said this is like Breaking Bad and it is in some ways but Walter White became Heisenberg, a man who had the balls to do horrendous things even though the chemistry teacher side of him was still there inside. Lester is a complete shithouse - he beat his first wife to death with a hammer in a fit of impotent anger but otherwise the deaths that he's responsible for have been passive. His new salesman of the year persona is all front and he knows it deep down.
[close]
Spoiler
Agree with this. I didn't dislike Lester after he killed his wife because she was a real piece of work and she wore him down to that snapping point. Using his new, nice wife as he did, however, (basically as a human shield) was shithousery of the highest order!
[close]
XBL: Flash6289

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2014, 04:14:11 pm »
Still not available to download! WTF.

When does anyone think it will be 'out'?

Can watch here...

http://streamonline.me/fargo-season-1-episode-9-a-fox-a-rabbit-and-a-cabbage/
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2014, 04:31:53 pm »
Isnt episode 10 due now??

Not unless you're time travelling.

Shown Tuesday nights in the US.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2014, 04:35:04 pm »

Not unless you're time travelling.

Shown Tuesday nights in the US.

I'll have to get the delorean out so.. Cheers

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2014, 04:44:10 pm »
I'll have to get the delorean out so.. Cheers

Tend to keep the Tardis for weekend spins myself.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2014, 02:58:03 pm »
Spoiler

Lester is a bad shithouse for doing that. Disgusting behaviour, I don't think even Walter White would have stooped that low!

As for the scene with Malvo and Molly's dad. When they were going on about those killings in '69 I got the impression that Malvo knew it was him who killed them. Or would he have been too young?

[close]

Spoiler
Old Nick is surely not too young  :)
[close]

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2014, 03:00:50 pm »
Spoiler
Was definitely '79. That scene between BBT and Carradine was one of the best from the whole season. I also loved the preceding scene when Malvo told the new owner of Lester's house about the murders that took place there and the noises Lester used to hear with the owner's kids standing right there. Nothing has summed up his character better than that moment. I couldn't help but laugh.
[close]

Ha ha - superb scene that closing with the impish grin.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2014, 12:15:22 am »
Spoiler
I was a bit underwhelmed by the last episode, if I'm being honest. I know it wanted to wrap everything up given we won't see these characters again, but even so.

My biggest gripe: Shouldn't Gus be on a murder charge now?  He can't claim self-defence/stand your ground when he broke into Malvo's cabin, waited there and shot someone clearly badly injured.
Unless Chief Bill was working on one last case - 'Yep, clearly suicide to me. Let's have a drink to celebrate'.

And Martin Freeman got to answer his Office Training Day question about the Fox/Chicken/Cabbage (well, bag of corn in the original)  :D

Still, a tremendous series, and Freeman, BBT, and Alison Tollman deserve all the awards heading their way.

[close]

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2014, 01:29:25 am »
Spoiler
Bet Lester is still alive the clever c*nt
[close]

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2014, 02:53:50 am »
Spot on Ray. My thoughts exactly.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2014, 09:22:50 am »
Ray has a point and I thought that as well as I was watching it but
Spoiler
I didn't pay more attention to it cause you know...Malvo is dead and everyone is happy about it and they would find a way to cover it up.

What a proper ending for Freeman's snide character.
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2014, 03:26:29 am »
finale thoughts...

Spoiler
a daft finale, that simultaneously lived up perfectly to the charming daftness that came before, and yet felt like a major let down after so much decent stuff preceded it.  a citation for bravery for killing an immobile man in cold blood?  riiiight.

that said, the series was great fun from start to finish, and beautiful to look at, but it really was a triumph of style over substance in the end.  the performances were great but it was pretty clunkily written when seen as a whole.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:14:59 pm by sideshowme »
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2014, 03:13:57 pm »
Terrific series from start to finish,
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2014, 03:24:41 pm »
I need to watch this again. I think I'd been up the pub too long yesterday afternoon to follow what actually happened last night properly.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2014, 05:52:20 pm »
Enjoyable stuff. Will new season be out next year?

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2014, 06:02:04 pm »
I loved it personally. I thought the scenes with Carradine were phenomenal and I also thoroughly enjoyed the scene in the car with Lester, Key, and Peele. Overall I thought the whole season was brilliant and it's great value for some awards. Special mention for the performances of Tolman, BBT, Freeman, and Carradine. Consistently great.
Justice For The 96

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2014, 07:38:25 pm »
I enjoyed the series a lot, but I did think it lost its way a bit towards the end. Particularly after they jumped forward in time. Last couple of episodes in particular were nowhere near the same standard

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:48 pm »
I enjoyed the series a lot, but I did think it lost its way a bit towards the end. Particularly after they jumped forward in time. Last couple of episodes in particular were nowhere near the same standard

The second last episode I thought was exceptional.  I thought the writing throughout the series was very strong.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2014, 09:08:26 pm »
Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed it, very dark...funny, violent, well written, superbly acted.
Good little series that.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2014, 09:20:05 am »
On rewatching, it all tied together quite nicely in the end. It would have been nice though to have had some sort of wrap on who Malvo was, where he came from and what his motivation was. That was left as an unanswered question.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2014, 10:48:12 am »
On rewatching, it all tied together quite nicely in the end. It would have been nice though to have had some sort of wrap on who Malvo was, where he came from and what his motivation was. That was left as an unanswered question.

Someone at work was saying the next series could be a prequal kind of thing. So Malvo's past could yet be explored.

We all need more Malvo in our lives. Brilliant series from start to finish.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2014, 12:10:25 pm »
Spoiler
Good series. Even in death, Malvo was a conniving bastard, the briefcase with all the incriminating tapes, including Lester's, was perfectly fitting. Not a patch on the film though. Didn't have the same spark.
[close]

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2014, 01:11:06 pm »
The second last episode I thought was exceptional.  I thought the writing throughout the series was very strong.

This. Episode 9 was brilliant, probably my favorite after the pilot, ofcourse ;)

Offline Abrak

• Pulling his Peter Principle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2014, 02:16:03 pm »
I happen to think it is a pretty perfectly formed mini-series. I am not sure it needs another season.

I mean Matrix would have been a far better film if they had never made Matrix 2 and 3.

royhendo

« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2014, 03:04:45 pm »
Last episode.

Spoiler
Fantastic little moment where the deputy does her own little Blade Runner-style "Voigt Kampff" test on Lester (train platform, gloves, and so forth).
[close]

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2014, 03:22:31 pm »
Last episode.

Spoiler
Fantastic little moment where the deputy does her own little Blade Runner-style "Voigt Kampff" test on Lester (train platform, gloves, and so forth).
[close]

I had no idea what the fuck that was about, and to this moment I still dont.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2014, 03:24:22 pm »
I had no idea what the fuck that was about, and to this moment I still dont.

Spoiler
Loss and not going back. Think about Lester on the ice.
[close]

royhendo

« Reply #192 on: June 24, 2014, 05:35:52 pm »
Spoiler
Loss and not going back. Think about Lester on the ice.
[close]

For me it was...

Spoiler
...about empathy. A psychopath feels no empathy. So how could Lester understand the little act of consideration?
[close]

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2014, 07:01:07 pm »
For me it was...

Spoiler
...about empathy. A psychopath feels no empathy. So how could Lester understand the little act of consideration?
[close]

Spoiler
I thought it was more, instead of accepting losing something and cutting your losses, he decided to throw it all away. The ending with Lester falling into ice seemed like the real-life realisation of that allegory.
[close]

Offline Abrak

• Pulling his Peter Principle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2014, 03:29:19 am »
I think the answer is rather simpler....

Spoiler
The episode is called Morton's Fork. A Morton fork is a situation where whatever decision you make will end up with the same bad conclusion. The glove is a Morton's fork - when it is dropped, going back will end badly, not leaving the train will too. The same is true of Lester's choices at the end between being caught and rushing on the ice. Lester asks Molly why she thinks he is guilty. In her reply the glove represents 'innocence' which he lost when he killed his first wife - he cant go back to reclaim his innocence - and he should have admitted his guilt (thrown the other glove) for the good others (who instead he killed or got killed during the series.) As I see it - it is a simple parable that sums up the series.
[close]

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2014, 04:22:34 am »
I haven't seen all the episodes. But the series was shot in and around Calgary. They set up 'Nygaard Insurance' literally next to the building I work in. I walk by it more or less every day. They removed the sign from outside a while back, but I still get a weird sensation when I walk past it. They painted the building next to it pink. I remember a few days of shooting. I think those were scenes from Episode 9. If it's for the scene I'm thinking of, they set up for that one all day. The main high street they show in the series is just outside of downtown, and doubled up for the town from Minnesota. I recall them bringing in police cars that looked different to the ones from here, and they'd given the locals a heads up that we'd be seeing different cop cars rolling around.

Remember Martin Freeman being in the pub having a pint opposite our building. The cast and set were here for quite a few months, probably 4 or 5.
YWNA

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2014, 05:47:01 am »

Spoiler
The episode is called Morton's Fork. A Morton fork is a situation where whatever decision you make will end up with the same bad conclusion. The glove is a Morton's fork - when it is dropped, going back will end badly, not leaving the train will too. The same is true of Lester's choices at the end between being caught and rushing on the ice. Lester asks Molly why she thinks he is guilty. In her reply the glove represents 'innocence' which he lost when he killed his first wife - he cant go back to reclaim his innocence - and he should have admitted his guilt (thrown the other glove) for the good others (who instead he killed or got killed during the series.) As I see it - it is a simple parable that sums up the series.
[close]

so many possible explanations...

Spoiler
another is that molly is speaking from her (the police's) point of view... they had both malvo and lester behind bars at one point, and had to let one and then both go free.  now malvo is at large, and letting lester free again will hopefully bring the two 'gloves' back together, in a way that makes the pair more useful to the police (in that they might get enough information out of the pair to catch and hold them both). 

in a way, and indirectly, she turned out to be right.
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2014, 09:33:22 am »
Spoiler
I thought it was more, instead of accepting losing something and cutting your losses, he decided to throw it all away. The ending with Lester falling into ice seemed like the real-life realisation of that allegory.
[close]

Spoiler
The allegory is about acts of kindness. By dropping the other glove the man in the story isn't cutting his losses and throwing it all away. If that was the point of the story he would have thrown it in a waste bin. The decision to drop it on the platform and leave a pair of gloves for someone, for anyone who found them was a selfless and considerate act. One that Lester was obviously incapable of understanding. So I think Roy was right, it was Molly doing what she does. She was testing him to see if he really was sociopathic and cold.

I need to go back and watch it again.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39:11 am »

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I didn't know that about Morton's Fork but I don't think the glove story has anything to do with that. In the story the train is leaving the station so he can't get off. The decision is to keep the glove or drop ot on the platform and each has a very different outcome. I will go back and watch again with the title in mind. I'm sure you are right that it has some relevance to the episode or the series as a whole but the glove story? Not for me.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2014, 09:44:56 am »
so many possible explanations...

Spoiler
another is that molly is speaking from her (the police's) point of view... they had both malvo and lester behind bars at one point, and had to let one and then both go free.  now malvo is at large, and letting lester free again will hopefully bring the two 'gloves' back together, in a way that makes the pair more useful to the police (in that they might get enough information out of the pair to catch and hold them both). 

in a way, and indirectly, she turned out to be right.
[close]

Spoiler
This is the way that I interpreted it. It was dropping the Lester glove in order to find the Malvo glove. But I quite like a lot of the other explanations here too.
[close]