Author Topic: RAWK Round Table Manchester United 0-3 Liverpool  (Read 40768 times)

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Round Table Manchester United 0-3 Liverpool
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2014, 02:24:20 pm »
and also the main part of your argument seems to be that he wasn't the bell end everybody thought he was at the start, and so equally he isn't the messiah at this point.

What you neglect to accept is that many many many people on here never thought he was a bell end at the start, and most aren't claiming him as the second coming now either.

We are in a title race. Fact. Its down in large part to our manager Brendan Rodgers. Fact. And claiming that a 0-3 win at utd is in actual fact a pig with lipstick on doesn't change the FACT.

When your in a hole stop digging, it may be that at that point you realise your just a fella sat in a hole, but at least its less far to climb out.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2014, 02:30:43 pm »
That was a bad day for us.

We missed a penalty, Suarez fell over too often in his knitted boots. Henderson couldn't spot a pass in the first 20 minutes to save himself and the Sturridge/Suarez partnership just didn't click, not like we know they can at least. The ref bottled two early crucial decisions (Penalty against Felliani and Rafael red), we missed a penalty. Oh and the crowd were in full voice trying to create something.

It meant fuck all. That's the difference now, we don't need the rub of the green, worldies from keepers are an interesting anecdote on the way to a 2-3 goal win. Luck means nothing when you have the weight of numbers we do, refs might miss one or two crucial decision on a bad day for us but they don't miss 5 or 6. Even if they do we'll find some other way to win because we are Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool, an unstoppable force.

Can't agree strongly enough about the bit in bold.  It's the Sean Connery line from The Rock about winners:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/564YDx0mCJk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/564YDx0mCJk</a>

That's Liverpool these days.  No longer can you find 50-page threads after the match on here about how the referee made bad calls and we hit the post and if only we'd put away a chance or two.  Now you come on here and it's people posting .gifs of Suarez making the opposition look silly and Gerrard clattering mop-headed losers on the other team.  Man United have become our prom queen.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2014, 02:59:00 pm »
To me, the voice of reason would suggest that tough games await us, all of which are independent events the outcome of which will have precious little with the outcome of past events. Not nothing, but precious little.

Unreasonable and irrational are celebrations and lionizing of poor performances which led to victories and over-the-top critical evaluations of good performances which led to draws and/or defeats.

Under no circumstances did we perform 'perfectly' vs Man United. On a different day, an in-form Van Persie would've scored two, at least. The sheer incompetence of Man. United vs us was not strictly down to our superior tactics and performance, although it certainly had something to do with it.

Man United under Moyes are like LFC under Hodgson. I am glad we beat them comprehensively.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline FoolForPool

• Main Stander
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2014, 03:04:27 pm »
That was a dreadful Man u performance.  The worst I have seen against us.  But it didn't matter.  We were going to go out there and win regardless. 

What I love about Rodgers is, not only is he instilling this belief in our players, but he is also instilling this belief in us fans too.  Nobody is papering over the cracks or weaknesses in the team, we know they are there.  But you can hear and feel the confidence in the forums; we are starting to see we are the real deal. 

Nobody is saying Rodgers is the Messiah, but he is making a bloody good team.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2014, 03:15:43 pm »
Here's the Echo's thoughts via our own Kristian. Well, he's not ours, but we're claiming him...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reds-analysis-how-liverpool-fc-6842430
Sorry I know this comment doesn't add much to the party but I thought that was a thoroughly good read :wave

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2014, 03:19:30 pm »
Sorry I know this comment doesn't add much to the party but I thought that was a thoroughly good read :wave

Copypaste? Link is down for me.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2014, 03:26:09 pm »
Vaguely glancing at this thread because I'm in work, but if you can't post in a Man Utd 0-3 AWAY victory thread, considering our position in the league, 4 points off top with a game in hand, after almost going BUST three years ago and be positive ... then there's no hope for you.  :-\

I for one, after what happened to this club a very short time ago, am absolutely overjoyed and don't really think we need 'voices of reason' or otherwise at this moment in time.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

royhendo

« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2014, 05:15:30 pm »
Burn the witch!!!!!!!!!!

If you're going to take such evident pride in being consistently contrarian Vulmea, then you have to accept the brickbats. Don't give it 'burn the witch' as if others have no right to object to your being objectionable. You do it all the time, almost regardless of topic.

You talk about 'what ifs' in complete disregard for the underlying trends. Liverpool score an average of 3 goals a game at the minute - there or thereabouts, against pretty much everyone, home and away. If the opposition score at some point, it's almost irrelevant to the overall trend results wise - see Stoke, Swansea and so forth. That's the mode we're in, and the upside was always the ability to tighten up.

I'm all for perspective, but there's a time and a place for it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:17:45 pm by royhendo »

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2014, 05:16:35 pm »
If you're going to take such evident pride in being consistently contrarian Vulmea, then you have to accept the brickbats. Don't give it 'burn the witch' as if others have no right to object to your being objectionable. You do it all the time, almost regardless of topic.

He's started using capital letters, though. Which is nice.

royhendo

« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2014, 05:18:31 pm »
He's started using capital letters, though. Which is nice.

IS THAT SO?  ;)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2014, 05:27:01 pm »

You talk about 'what ifs' in complete disregard for the underlying trends. Liverpool score an average of 3 goals a game at the minute - there or thereabouts, against pretty much everyone, home and away. If the opposition score at some point, it's almost irrelevant to the overall trend results wise - see Stoke, Swansea and so forth. That's the mode we're in, and the upside was always the ability to tighten up.

I'm all for perspective, but there's a time and a place for it.

I still think you need a Vulmea to counter posters in this thread who now think finishing fourth is something bad, and only the title will do .

Temper your dreams with reality unless those dreams come true.

Or maybe i am a miserable old sod who has seen way too many false dawns in the last two decades,
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2014, 05:29:49 pm »
I still think you need a Vulmea to counter posters in this thread who now think finishing fourth is something bad, and only the title will do .

Or maybe i am a miserable old sod who has seen way too many false dawns in the last two decades,

Always check for the Adams Apple...
Better looking than Samie.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2014, 05:46:20 pm »
Kindly point out these posters.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2014, 05:52:39 pm »
Fellaini? It's not nice to see a footballer with a bloody face. But I couldn't help thinking there was something ironic about him being the one with the tissue-paper all over his forehead. Fellaini, after all, has made quite a career out of elbowing opponents when it comes to challenging for a high ball.  This time he thought he was up against wee Raheem Sterling and that made him all cocky. He got big Stevie Gerrard instead and now he's in stitches.

I feel no remorse for Felaini - he got what he deserves, a taste of his own medicine. But you're right about Gerrard's tackle - it was picture perfect.

Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2014, 06:10:30 pm »

I don't think there are any posters saying that mate. That's the weird thing. Everybody's excited, sure, but we're all Liverpool supporters and it's fantastic to be involved in a Title-race again. But I don't see anyone saying (i) We've won it already (ii) We're favourites (iii) Anything less than the Title is a failure. So in that sense Vulmea is trying to squat a fly that doesn't exist. 

I'm not surprised folks are a bit pissed off with him. It's not his underwhelming view of Brendan Rodgers that's provoking a backlash. It's his wild accusations that every one else on RAWK is 'hyperbolic' (smelly stuff, that) or that we are all "luvved up mobsters". That's just fucking weird.

I accept he's always been a bit like that. The posts when Rodgers first arrived are basically dirges. He's obviously never much cared for the bloke and is critical of the fact that he got the hot seat at Anfield without a trophy (Bill? Bob? Joe? Kenny? Evo?). That's fine I guess. Hodgson had a trophy, so did Souey, but they weren't the best managers we've had.

We all have our opinions and this place would be duller if everyone agreed with everyone else. But it's shame he can't enjoy what's happening to his team right now and odd that he pokes fun at those who can.

We're fans after all. Dreaming is what we do. Why "temper" that? I certainly hope to god that when the boys next trot out at Anfield they'll be engulfed by a tidal wave of passion and belief. And I hope that by the time Man City and Chelsea come round it's a tsunami. We have our part to play in the run-in too. That's what the 12th Man does and the Kop has proved itself to be a pretty decent 12th Man over the years.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2014, 06:10:56 pm »

But have you really ever seen anything like this, have you. The way we play football at the moment is different even to 09. It's a weird thing but you go into these games with your arse clenched and then come out with a 3 0 at OT feeling pleasantly surprised or you tear arsenal to shreds in 20 minutes, or destroy Tottenham and a promising managerial career at white heart lane. Or  go down at Chelsea and City having fucking gone after them, I mean really gone for a tear up.

I can't remember anything like this in the last 2 decades, it's noticeably different. I loved Rafa and genuinely admired GED, but they never got these kind of goals did they?

I'm of a certain age, and it's reminding me of the late 80's. And even if it's just a reminder and nothing happens from it, I'm still happy. I'm still thinking about Liverpool far too much at the end of March, and I love it.

I don't want to look on the realistic side, football is magical and more than a game when played correctly. This team is making it something more than it is. That will do for me. I feel like a 8 year old on European cup nights again at the minute, it's all a bit fuzzy a bit other worldly it's why I fell in love with the club. And I will keep hold of that for as long as I can, no cold bitter reality for me thank you very much not while the team are still pushing the happy pills.

So do us a favour, try and enjoy it, try and dream a bit. If it all goes to shit we can take from there, but not a moment sooner.

It is still on, Rodgers is shaping up nicely for his own big white toothed banner, and below it will be a cheesy line that will echo down through history taking on greater magnitude as year follows year.  You can pooh hoo it all you like, you can cling to realism if you want to in the knowledge that should he fail you can say "I told you so", but I'll take a life time of shattered dreams if I can be an 8 year old for just another 90 minutes.

Believe.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2014, 06:17:11 pm »
We're, I believe, currently on track to score the second most goals in Premier League history, after finishing 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th over the last four years. I apologize if I don't feel the need to temper my enthusiasm.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2014, 06:21:40 pm »
Yes, bottom line is we are FANTASTIC to watch.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2014, 06:25:38 pm »
We're, I believe, currently on track to score the second most goals in Premier League history, after finishing 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th over the last four years. I apologize if I don't feel the need to temper my enthusiasm.

We've scored 7 more than that Chelsea team had at this stage of the season too.

The simple fact is that no team in the "Premier League era" has scored more goals after 29 games than this Liverpool one. Only this City team can better it.

Soz if that fact is hyperbolic.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2014, 07:02:50 pm »
]
But have you really ever seen anything like this, have you. The way we play football at the moment is different even to 09. It's a weird thing but you go into these games with your arse clenched and then come out with a 3 0 at OT feeling pleasantly surprised or you tear arsenal to shreds in 20 minutes, or destroy Tottenham and a promising managerial career at white heart lane. Or  go down at Chelsea and City having fucking gone after them, I mean really gone for a tear up.

I can't remember anything like this in the last 2 decades, it's noticeably different. I loved Rafa and genuinely admired GED, but they never got these kind of goals did they?

I'm of a certain age, and it's reminding me of the late 80's. And even if it's just a reminder and nothing happens from it, I'm still happy. I'm still thinking about Liverpool far too much at the end of March, and I love it.

I don't want to look on the realistic side, football is magical and more than a game when played correctly. This team is making it something more than it is. That will do for me. I feel like a 8 year old on European cup nights again at the minute, it's all a bit fuzzy a bit other worldly it's why I fell in love with the club. And I will keep hold of that for as long as I can, no cold bitter reality for me thank you very much not while the team are still pushing the happy pills.

So do us a favour, try and enjoy it, try and dream a bit. If it all goes to shit we can take from there, but not a moment sooner.

It is still on, Rodgers is shaping up nicely for his own big white toothed banner, and below it will be a cheesy line that will echo down through history taking on greater magnitude as year follows year.  You can pooh hoo it all you like, you can cling to realism if you want to in the knowledge that should he fail you can say "I told you so", but I'll take a life time of shattered dreams if I can be an 8 year old for just another 90 minutes.

Believe.

the comments I saw are in other threads posted today maybe they are getting carried away who could blame them, as for enjoying it, i always enjoy us doing well, in fact i just enjoy being a supporter win, lose or draw.

As for Vulmea maybe i was being too kind,  but i felt the idea of feet on the ground rather than head in the clouds was a valid point, doesnt mean i agreed with all of it.

In no way do i even remotely resemble any of those OTT comments in bold (although you like to put down anyone who is slightly different to you) deal with facts and what i posted and not what you weirdly think i feel about anything.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2014, 07:57:39 pm »
I posted after we beat them at Anfield that their "aura" and "self belief" was gone even then.

We've got it!

I was my usual feeling sick wreck before the game. But after 20 minutes I felt as comfortable, if not moreso, than against the majority of opposition we've played this season. We didn't play that well in the grand scheme of things, but individually and tactically it was way beyond what they managed to serve up.

They have, on paper, a very good attacking trio (maybe 4 with the boy wonder), but it's obvious that none of them (Jumanji excepted I suppose as he can cross) are being utilised properly. These aren't bad players all of a sudden, and you cant blame it on the midfield players. The blame has to land squarely at the ginger geniuses feet. He's not using them properly. We know it, the fans know it, ours and theirs, and to me its obvious the players know it and are going through the motions accordingly. To me, Rooneys running around agressively every 15 minutes or so shows more about frustration than it does about any passion or belief in what he's doing.

They're a spent force under Moyes.

As for us? Despite what Vulmea says, it's almost the complete opposite. We have an aura now. A belief that what we're doing works. The players have a belief in themselves, their own ability, and a belief in their roles in the team. A belief in what the manager wants, and a belief tha they can provide it. And a belief that it could take them somewhere special. And it has lifted every one of them. I think Rodgers deserves a LOT of credit for making "them" dream, let alone us fans. Who would have thought that, in his twilight seasons, Stevie would have been confidently and calmly saying that "yes, we can win the league".  Amazing.

I'm no good at analysing games as I tend not to be able to look at it objectively and my mind fucks off all over the place. but the resounding thing I came away with was that we didn't really play that well (compared to what we're capable of), but it was still light years ahead of what the mancs could serve up. And I think they knew that before the game.

Boss!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:03:03 pm by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2014, 08:20:02 pm »
Always check for the Adams Apple...
Look Norris. I do the daft stuff - you do the paint along with Nancy football tutorials with the yanks, OK? ......me laddo!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2014, 08:36:43 pm »
]
the comments I saw are in other threads posted today maybe they are getting carried away who could blame them, as for enjoying it, i always enjoy us doing well, in fact i just enjoy being a supporter win, lose or draw.

As for Vulmea maybe i was being too kind,  but i felt the idea of feet on the ground rather than head in the clouds was a valid point, doesnt mean i agreed with all of it.

In no way do i even remotely resemble any of those OTT comments in bold (although you like to put down anyone who is slightly different to you) deal with facts and what i posted and not what you weirdly think i feel about anything.

Don't particularly like to put anyone down, except when I feel like being a dick.

Just can't see the point of any realism at this point. We are the form team coming into the run in, and we can win the league, what you or I feel about actually means fuck all anyway so let's just follow it after our own fashions. Mines a better buzz than yours and Vulmeas though Fact.

Just don't be a buzz kill for all the silly tits on here wetting their knickers over the possibility of a first title in 20 odd years. And certainly don't think for one minute or try and suggest that the stats aren't backing up a deliriously ridiculous notion that Liverpool might just win this fucking thing. You won't be any less pissed off than me if we get beat by Cardiff, I'll have enjoyed the build up far more though, and won't need to pick holes in the 3-0 performance if we win!

Come on touchstone! it's poetry in motion mate! we're going to win the league!

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2014, 08:43:00 pm »
POP we discussed earlier in the year (pre city/chelsea away) what would be the main indicators of our title challenge. One of the main topics was a run of eight wins.

Cardiff (A), Sunderland (H), Tottenham (H)

There it is, and for the sake of comparison - City have United (A), Arsenal (A), Southampton (H) as the next three PL games.

How can we be negative? How can we not believe by now?

On. A. Plate.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2014, 08:43:09 pm »
]

You are being too kind.

I actually think his posts are bang out of order. You're allowed an opinion, but some of the stuff he has come out with, at a time like this? I'm sorry that's just taking it over the line.

It's just trying to be different for the sake of standing out from the crowd, or maybe he's just naturally grim like this. Whatever it is, it's berserk.

Using the half an hour of pressure we faced at Southampton as a stick to beat the team with. Who are we supposed to be for fucks sake? Bayern Munich? It's madness.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2014, 08:45:05 pm »
Look Norris. I do the daft stuff - you do the paint along with Nancy football tutorials with the yanks, OK? ......me laddo!
;D

Good response also Yorky.

Has been another fine thread from you lot again  :thumbup

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:00 pm »
You are being too kind.

I actually think his posts are bang out of order.

Oh, please. Let's not get too dramatic. Vulmea is a respected member and poster, no matter what his slant. He writes what he thinks, he's not some wind up merchant. Let's show a little respect, shall we?

They have, on paper, a very good attacking trio (maybe 4 with the boy wonder), but it's obvious that none of them (Jumanji excepted I suppose as he can cross)

That's fantastic. Please tell me it's not an autocorrect.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2014, 10:32:56 pm »
For those of us who are old enough to have had the privilege of watching the Reds in the 80s, the current team is as exciting if not more so.   The team that we wiped the floor with on Sunday has just progressed to the last 8 of the Champions League.  Whether we are ultimately successful in winning the League should not detract from the progress we have made.    In our current form can anyone doubt that we would have put up a better show than either City or Arsenal in the CL?   Happy days are here again.   Need to repeat the Chelsea 2005 CL atmosphere for the crucial home games this season and maybe, just maybe 9 wins out of 9 will make it happen.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:36:43 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2014, 10:38:53 pm »
thanks Corky. Can't believe a win against that shower is being overshadowed by a poster on here. Back to the happy happy smiles of wonder.
Yep.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2014, 10:46:25 pm »
Using the half an hour of pressure we faced at Southampton as a stick to beat the team with. Who are we supposed to be for fucks sake? Bayern Munich? It's madness.

Right now, I'd have them. El Campeador, formerly of these parts, used to say that Rafa made it so we didn't give a fuck which ball Platini pulled out. Right now, I'd fancy us against anyone. In case anyone thinks that's hyperbole, we are the form team in a major and money laden league and have been for a while. These are facts, no? As someone else said, we just pasted a team that is now in the last eight of Big Cup. We should fancy ourselves. Right now, we're the bomb and I'd fancy us against any team on the planet.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:05 pm »
I was fortunate to see us at "our best" during the 80s.

We are as good to watch now as anytime in the past at our best.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves though........let me explain.

The 80s are well behind us now and although we can all look back and be proud of the achievements there's nothing better than looking forward to the next match and then savouring every minute. That's what I support Liverpool for. The expectation of the kickoff and the joy when we outplay the best teams. That feeling is even better than winning the league. Yes winning is great and it gives you a buzz but I would much rather be here now and looking forward with excitement. So who cares in the long run if we win the league......all I care about is being in a great position and enjoying the here and now.

Were would I love to be now? At Instanbul just after Gerrard scored and we started to believe with such passion that it was unbearable. That to me is better than winning (I guess that may sound weird but I enjoy watching us when we are in full flow and all the expectation is intoxicating).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:40:38 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2014, 11:53:17 pm »
Vaguely glancing at this thread because I'm in work, but if you can't post in a Man Utd 0-3 AWAY victory thread, considering our position in the league, 4 points off top with a game in hand, after almost going BUST three years ago and be positive ... then there's no hope for you.  :-\

I for one, after what happened to this club a very short time ago, am absolutely overjoyed and don't really think we need 'voices of reason' or otherwise at this moment in time.

Absolutely...how anyone can be anything other than delighted and excited at the mo, I just do not know.
This is a good time for LFC, yes we need to keep it up and not be complacent but we are on a great run, key players firing, decent run of games to come, tough but winnable home games, relatively easier and winnable away games...just keep it up lads.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2014, 12:15:31 am »
Finishing fourth is something bad and only the title will do!

;D

100%, Mr. Rodgers himself is fully planning on winning out. You can easily tell by how much he doesn't talk about it.

My vote for magnificent season played is already cast YES but a really nice run here would be sooooo nice its not real.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2014, 12:27:22 am »
And so the Kraken awakes...

be over the moon with 4th. anything else is a bonus.

No. When you get your chance, you need to be prepared to take it. The chance may not come around again any time soon. The way this season has gone so far, we should aim higher than 4th. If we end up in 4th, I'd say it's a disappointment. However, that doesn't mean the season is a disappointment.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2014, 01:05:34 am »
We've scored 7 more than that Chelsea team had at this stage of the season too.

The simple fact is that no team in the "Premier League era" has scored more goals after 29 games than this Liverpool one. Only this City team can better it.

Soz if that fact is hyperbolic.

How the fuck has Brendan achieved this.

I have to understand this alchemy, this voodoo and magic he's done.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2014, 02:57:20 am »
How the fuck has Brendan achieved this.

I have to understand this alchemy, this voodoo and magic he's done.

Good coaching
Better looking than Samie.

Offline LFC at first sight

• Kemlynite
« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2014, 03:46:44 am »
I disagree a bit - I actually think we try to play one-touch too early. We don't yet - as a unit - understand the moment the tempo is supposed to quicken, and when it should be slowed down. We lose a lot of possessions from players trying to play one-touch with team-mates who aren't thinking of speeding up the tempo yet, or have gone too fast and early, and so the possession gets lost. That's one of the next levels of play, and something we are clearly aiming for. It's a tough thing to get right though. It's not so much that we can't play one-touch, or we should be slowing it down or speeding it up. It's more that as a group, we don't know WHEN to change the tempo. So we're better off either playing deliberately slow or deliberately fast. We're not yet at the level where every player understands when to switch it up or down on the fly.

The Sturridge backheel on the byline to a surging Luis comes to mind. Luis, while tricky, is never that quick. Sturridge would have been better off holding on to the ball, turn, and look to find his other S in a better position.

That said, it would be terrifying for other teams when those two start getting even more telepathic. I can't wait!!

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2014, 04:13:31 am »
Good coaching

There's been other very good coaches that haven't managed that though PoP. (Uh-oh, hyperbole imminent)
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2014, 04:16:45 am »
The Sturridge backheel on the byline to a surging Luis comes to mind. Luis, while tricky, is never that quick. Sturridge would have been better off holding on to the ball, turn, and look to find his other S in a better position.

That said, it would be terrifying for other teams when those two start getting even more telepathic. I can't wait!!

He beat Jagielka for pace WITH the ball from the halfway line against Everton, if that's not quick I don't know what is. I don't think he legs it like that very often though, as he mainly uses guile and trickery before short bursts of speed to beat players, so I can see what you're saying :)

Offline wannabdoc

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool is a conviction
    • my blog
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2014, 05:12:53 am »
the hyperbole is in full flow I see
every little thing becomes another brick in building an idea that people want to believe in

i can understand the measured optimism that you want to portray here. yes, we have not won anything yet, and there is still a chance that this season could end up without silverware. 2nd is just the best loser.
however, like many have mentioned, this season is already beyond expectations. i started supporting pool in '97, and i've not seen us being champs of england yet. the play and most importantly, the belief in the players, makes me just want to savour these moments. we (should) be top 4, and aiming higher. Let's dream on, a step at a time!