Author Topic: RAWK Round Table: Liverpool 4-3 Swansea City  (Read 17473 times)

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Round Table: Liverpool 4-3 Swansea City
« on: February 23, 2014, 07:57:07 pm »
And the Reds go marching in...

My Round Table contribution this week is a history lesson that cautions against being too harsh on this splendid team for conceding three goals at home to a Swansea side that came to play and did it to some effect. As we all know only too well, it will be 24 years in May since Liverpool last picked up the League Championship. It goes without saying that it’s a long bloody time and after two and a half decades of waiting, it’s perhaps understandable if the merest sniff of a genuine chance to win number nineteen will make us all a little bit unreasonable from time to time. You see, it’s easy to forget, sitting just a hair’s breadth away from two teams assembled for huge money and one with some 17 years’ worth of stability behind it, that being in a title race at all at the arse-end of February 2014 places us well ahead of schedule and in a position that we would have scarcely believed as we kicked off the season against Stoke back in August. Similarly, it’s easy to forget that scoring more goals than any other team in the Premier League (including those two aforementioned financial juggernauts) just two years removed from a season where it often seemed like we couldn’t have bought a goal even if we’d had the inclination to send Ian Ayre off to tie-up a deal for one (13 blanks out of 38 games and more than two scored just 7 times for a final total of just 47 in 38, five of which were own-goals) is a pretty spectacular improvement. Hell, with 11 games still to go, this team has already plundered 23 goals more than its 2011/12 predecessor, at a rate that no Liverpool team has matched since the Premier League began in 1992. Inside two years under a new manager with new ideas and spending at a rate far below that of his main rivals, that’s one hell of a turnaround.

The truth is that conceding three goals at home to Swansea and looking decidedly shaky at the back while doing so is bad, but we can expect bad days at the office from a team this early in its evolution. When Brendan Rodgers called it “a foal” in response to (pardon my language) a silly fucking question from a reporter after the Arsenal game (I think), he wasn’t just being coy, he was making a valid point. Inside two years, he’s had to remove a number of players (Carroll, Downing, Adam in particular) who simply didn’t have the ability to play in his system, balance the books by shipping out some other heavy earners (Cole, Reina, for example), bring in replacements while clearly on a budget and, perhaps most importantly of all given the lack of a big transfer kitty, coach some of the players he inherited to be better than they were before. Jordan Henderson, in particular, has developed brilliantly under his management, but Martin Skrtel (as unpopular as it may be to say anything positive about him after today) has also undoubtedly improved with the ball at his feet from the player who so expertly put Carlos Tevez through at the Kop end during Rodgers’ first home League game in charge in August 2012. The manager has also made do when he’s had to, using different systems and approaches depending on which players have been available and the opposition in front of them, often out of necessity and while relying on inexperienced players (Sterling, Flanagan, Teixeira, Suso, Ibe) to do it.

With an extra player or two at his disposal (e.g. one of the five high-profile attacking targets the club have apparently pursued this season, Mkhitaryan, Costa, Willian, Salah, Konoplyanka), Liverpool may have been even closer to the top of the table by this point but, nonetheless, largely through a mixture of excellent coaching and improvisation from the management and some phenomenal performances from the players, we now find ourselves 6 points clear in the Champions League places (effectively 7 with the goal difference), pursuing an unlikely title challenge and top scorers with 11 games left. So what’s important to remember after a day like today is that this team is ahead of schedule, not on it, and the performances will not always be perfect. The thing is, if we look back over the past 24 years, when have Liverpool ever been perfect? This team is imperfect just like all the others which have tried and failed to bring the League Championship back to Anfield in that time, the only difference is that instead of being defensively strong and failing to score enough goals when it really matters, this team is scoring a sufficient number of goals at the business-end of the season that it doesn’t matter how many it concedes, and that marks it out as a different animal altogether. Yes, that may very well catch up to us in some games, in fact I fully expect it to, but I say again, a team in its infancy will never be perfect unless it’s had millions upon millions lavished on it, and if Rodgers has effectively put all his eggs in the offensive basket, then it’s an approach that’s proving itself possibly, just maybe, crazy enough to work. Six points clear in the Champions League places and four points off the top tells its own story on that score.

Here’s the bottom line: over 24 years, we’ve had plenty of disappointing days and nights, moments where the dreams and songs we had to sing weren’t enough as another Liverpool team fell flat just when it seemed like all things were possible. And in virtually every instance, it was our attack that let us down. Brentie wrote a superb piece the other day, part of which was remembering that virtually every Liverpool team since the one that won the club’s last League Championship in 1990 has sought to succeed through defensive solidity rather than attacking prowess and that we are currently being spoiled with what Brendan Rodgers’ team is offering up. I agree, and I would even go so far as to say that this approach, as much as games like today have us tearing our hair out, is what has afforded us the opportunity to dream again. Clearly, ultimately, this team will have to improve defensively if it’s to achieve the goals that we all hope it can achieve, but this is all part of its evolution. Other Liverpool teams never evolved beyond this point, but this one's got a real fucking chance.

In 1995/96, Roy Evans’ team followed up the famous 4-3 win against Newcastle (the first one), which had supposedly gotten them back into the title race, by losing 0-1 at Coventry; a year later, the perennially relegation-threatened Sky Blues came to Anfield and beat the table-topping Liverpool 1-2, a dagger to the heart; a season later, after a 1-0 home win against Newcastle left us handily placed just six points off the top in January, Blackburn (0-0) and struggling Southampton (2-3) came to Anfield and shattered our illusions once again in successive games; in 1999/00, this time under Gerard Houllier, Liverpool finished two points behind Leeds in the race for a first ever Champions League spot. The reason? Five blanks out of five to end the season, including a 0-1 defeat to relegation-threatened Bradford City on the last day. When Liverpool failed to make the Champions League in 2003, it was because of 1-2 defeats to Manchester City (h) and Chelsea (a) in our last two games. Four points there and we were in, but we only scored twice. In Rafa’s first season in charge, 2004/05, when qualification for the Champions League was only secured by winning the bloody thing, 13 blanks were drawn out of 38 league games, and the team scored more than twice just 7 times. In 2008/09, the last time Liverpool managed a genuine title challenge, it was again a lack of goals at crucial times which cost us (e.g. two 0-0 draws with Stoke, a 0-2 defeat at Middlesbrough, 1-1 draws with Everton and Wigan). And then, as already mentioned, Kenny’s last season in charge, which saw results such as 0-1 at home to Fulham and West Brom. Just impotence. Pure and utter impotence.

What we’re seeing this season is the opposite. Today, Swansea almost left Anfield with a 3-3 draw. They didn’t. They might well consider this to be one of the best performances they’ve put in at Anfield (or anywhere) since their return to the top level in 2011, and they might think themselves unlucky as a consequence. Again, pardon my language, I couldn’t give two fucks. It almost makes me weep with joy that a team can come to Anfield and show that kind of fight, determination, tactical nous and ability, yet come away with nothing. After 20 minutes in which they had undoubtedly been the better team, we were 2-0 up. After 90 minutes in which the referee had paved the way for at least one of their goals (the free for their second was a fucking abomination, the fact that our subsequent defensive efforts were similarly bad shouldn’t let Mr. Jones off the hook, and I look forward to seeing him give penalties for what Skrtel did for the third every week - I won't hold my breath) and they had run themselves ragged, they left Anfield with nothing. That shows what this Liverpool team is now - it’s one big, bad son-of-a-bitch that really doesn’t care how you want to play, it’ll beat you anyway. Oh yes, it’s flawed, big time, and that’s the reason (every bit as much as the four-point gap and the deeper squads of Chelsea and Manchester City) why it likely won’t win the title this season, but I for one, as someone who has suffered through enough of impotent performances and results against the likes of Swansea over the past 24 years, am enjoying watching them putting in season-best performances against us and, nonetheless, leaving with nothing. Fulham showed fight – they lost. Swansea showed fight – they lost. And while the defensive disarray (and I’m especially worried about the relationship or lack thereof between Mignolet and his centre-backs, together with our ‘keeper’s almost pathological fear of coming off his line) will undoubtedly rear its head again and result in dropped points, it’s a work in progress. Remember that.

And remember this - days like today would have ended in a 3-3 draw or 1-3/2-3 defeat in the past. Today, following our bludgeoning of Swansea into eventual defeat, our nearest rivals for fourth, Spurs, failed to break down Norwich in a way that should seem mightily familiar to all of us. We’ve had enough days like that over the past 24 years. This wasn’t one of them. And the Reds go marching in…
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:21:54 pm by E2K »
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Round Table: Liverpool 4-3 Swansea City
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:17:32 pm »
This is why I want other people to write the Round Tables ;)
Brilliant mate.
Yep.

royhendo

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:55:39 am »
What a fantastic read. It's not only this team that's spoiling us mate - your contributions this last while have been a constant delight.

All I can really add on the defensive issue is that Swansea scored three peculiar goals. A worldie no keeper was saving, a deflected header, and a dubious penalty. The side can be coached over time and with additions to do better on preventing crosses, avoiding daft free kick concessions, and tightening up that space ahead of the centre halves, but on balance I think we're doing better on that. I'm not convinced Rodgers fancies the two front line centre halves he inherited though - I suspect he wants Sakho back, and another in the summer with a few going out. That'll be hard for us Agger devotees.

A word on Sterling. What a ball. They lauded Gerrard at Fulham - that ball yesterday wasn't too far away from it, was it? It was like a long putt at St Andrews from a gnarly old pro - he weighted it from the pit of his gut. What a player that kid is gonna turn out to be.

And can someone order up Suarez a couple of goals? Thanks.

Last but not least, WOOHOO!! The next few weeks will be predominately about emotion, so don't fight it, feel it.

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:26:09 am »
I agree. Hang on to your hats and enjoy the ride, because though Sakho is going to be back, and Lucas too, I don't expect our defensive woes to be remedied this season. We're Keegan's Newcastle c1996 (Danny Agger meet Philippe Albert...) But who cares, it's a bloody blast. Like Thelma and Louise,  'Let's keep goin'.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:08:16 pm »
That shows what this Liverpool team is now - it’s one big, bad son-of-a-bitch that really doesn’t care how you want to play, it’ll beat you anyway.
Is the ability to find a way to win, the lack of fear, the devotion to attacking and the ability to beat the ordinary reminding anyone else of the reasons United won so many titles under Satan?

Are we becoming the new, (albeit much fairer, nicer, cuddlier, less gin soaked) United? Not tactically, particularly (or at all), purely in terms of attitude and winningness?
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:08:45 pm »
Sound, there will be plenty more nervous days between now and the end of the season, any that end with 4 goals scored and 3 points gained should be cherished!
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:12:26 pm »
Is the ability to find a way to win, the lack of fear, the devotion to attacking and the ability to beat the ordinary reminding anyone else of the reasons United won so many titles under Satan?

That, always buying good 1v1 players for the attack, and a willingness to risk the loss for the win in a tight game.

Are we becoming the new, (albeit much fairer, nicer, cuddlier, less gin soaked) United? Not tactically, particularly (or at all), purely in terms of attitude and winningness?

Yes. But also, a bit tactically.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:22:45 pm »
Love the O.P, and totally agree with the message it makes.

But fucking hard on the nerves at times. Oh and Mike Jones. I'll be amazed if Timbo doesn't have something to say. It was a VERY odd performance from him.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 05:23:10 pm »
Exciting stuff being a Liverpool fan these days eh! Definitely play some of the best footy i can recall seeing, other than the blistering finish to the 08/09 season, i guess you gotta go back to Roy Evan's teams for sheer entertainment.

What i like even more than the goals, the wins, the ahead of schedule development of this team, sitting in a top 4 place, above and beyond all that, it's the feel good factor Brendan has installed, i know Kenny steadied the ship, but everybody involved in our squad looks happy and hungry to work hard for the manager, and that hard work is baring fruit come match day now. Was only a handful of years back when we were talking about everything but the football, isn't it great to simply be able to talk about the footy our team is playing these days, a bloody delight!

I'm trying to keep my feet on the ground, but you have to dare to dream, 24 years is a long long time, even longer when that made you only 6 (as i was) at the time, so really cannot remember what it felt like to win a league! But one things for sure, on this current trajectory, even if we don't win it this year, you would at least now recognise it is at least a possibility again, and that's a testament to what a terrific coach Rodgers is, and gradually developing into a top class manager, i really do genuinely believe the sky is the limit for Brendan, he's an ardent student of the game, and that is his greatest asset, that desire to grow, develop, continual learning and improvement - and it is the very ability to translate those core motivational qualities onto the players that will ultimately see him a successful manager.

There's 11 cup finals to be played, and you can bet the aspirations for all the teams gunning for 1st will take more twists as the season plays out. But as you said, it's almost March and we're still in it, and doesn't that feel good!

"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 05:57:43 pm »
There were some negatives yesterday, no point hiding it, but I feel like the effect of the comeback + late winner at Fulham has been evident in our two immediate matches following it.

Firstly in the FA Cup game at Arsenal, where we were dead unlucky not to come from behind and draw from a 2-0 deficit at a top team, or even win. Then, yesterday against a good Swansea team clearly lifted by the introduction of their new interim manager. Of course it's never good for the heart when your team goes 2-0 up and throws the lead away, then in the same game surrenders a 3-2 lead, but it always felt as if we would go on to get the winning goal yesterday despite not being at our scintillating best. That desire, drive and determination of the players to ensure we left Anfield with three more points was surely a lingering effect from the character-building victory at Fulham less than two weeks before. It's a quality I felt we lacked prior to the Fulham game, whereas Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal had all struck late winners and come from behind to win games this season. It's slowly becoming another part of the Liverpool toolkit, an ever-improving mentality made more surprising by the fact we have a relatively young side.

It was the younger players like Henderson, Allen and Flanagan that stood up to be counted in those final twenty minutes, the former scoring the all-important winner, the latter two showing great tenacity off the ball and composure on it to see the game out. This is extremely encouraging at the business end of the season.

I just had to take a long look at the table to fully register the situation we find ourselves in. It really is incredible. Just two years ago we were full of overpaid players who can only play one brand of football, and it isn't a pretty one. Now, we have a whole host of top tier talent capable of adapting to a variety of systems and situations. We finished the aforementioned season in 8th, our legendary manager had just been sacked and we had far too many players with no right to be at the club. Not to mention we had yet to see the then-new owners appoint a manager following the usual procedure. It certainly appears they got themselves one of the best they could have asked for. The football we play is breathtaking. We're great to watch, which can only be a good thing when it comes to searching for new players in the transfer window. Our defending is suspect, Skrtel yesterday not getting away with his unsubtle moments of madness while the team in general sometimes seems too keen to attack- we often had five players ahead of the ball in the first half, even when ahead! But we are still winning football matches and doing so whilst playing some of the most exciting football the Premier League has seen in years.

1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th. We could finish in any of those positions and I'll be delighted, because I genuinely didn't see us quite making the cut for top four in BR's second season here. 5th? 6th? 7th? I've stopped looking behind us in the table, for now at least.

Final word on Jordan Henderson - as much as I love seeing Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard score I'd have chosen that lad to get our winner yesterday given the chance. His rise as a player in Rodgers' tenure mirrors that of the club's trajectory itself in that period - slow start, promising signs, great mentality, very good footballer. Long may it continue.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 06:20:08 pm »
I think that's the best OP for any thread that we've had in many months. Brilliant mate.

Re the goals conceded, one is a deflected fluke from a free kick which needn't have been given away in my opinion, it was clumsy. I wouldn't argue against the pen either, I'd rather see a defender get in the air and concede a pen with an elbow while trying to have a go at defending the ball, however crudely, rather than take an easy option and pull a player. That's not acceptable to me. And yes, Shelvey's will be replayed during the build up to games every time we meet Swansea for the next 15 years, it was astonishingly brilliant. Even if Lucas had been playing he may not have prevented it, ok his presence may have prevented the pass but he would have to been standing on his toes to prevent the shot. It was quite simply a first-time hit beauty that any marker could do fuck all about.

My initial reaction was to highlight what Skrtel did for the pen as being bewildering, simply because its becoming annoying, but otherwise I'm not precious about how many we concede providing we maintain this capability to steam-roll any pretenders. This is football for the Gods.

I'm absolutely ecstatic for BR, he's slowly turning over every club in the country with a brand of footballing madness designed to leave defenders crazed in admiration.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »
I think we can improve defensively but the truth is committing so many players to the attack is going to leave us open on the counter. To use Rafa's analogy with the blanket that doesn't fully cover the bed when you full the blanket up to the head you will expose the feet.

I do however think that Allen may get an extended run in the team to improve solidity through the middle and can I say I thought he was majestic at the weekend.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 06:28:48 pm »
In days gone by, you looked to Stevie to raise the level and pull out a performance to drag us back into a game. He did it at Palace, by virtue of a well taken penalty, but the prelude to that was not him. On Sunday it wasn't him either.

That evolution pleases me. The spark can come from numerous players, and the quality too.

It belabours the point to talk about our defensive weakness, but think about it another way. Its hard to imagine a worse four games in terms of defence - West Brom, Arsenal away, Fulham and now Swansea, but despite this, we are still right there, still pushing to win every game, and unfortunate when we don't.  That's progress.

( On a side note, Luis Suarez is absolutely gutted with not scoring in recent weeks. His every being aches when he misses a chance. I can't wait for him to unload on someone, lets hope its Southampton!)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:55:20 pm by Miltonred »

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 06:30:13 pm »
It's a bit difficult to know what to say after a game like that, after a post like the OP and the others have said what needed to be said. You want to make a contribution to the site when you come in a thread like this and it isn't always easy without repeating the same information that everybody has at the end of their mental fingertips. But I'd like to share a brief personal anecdote, if you can bear with me for just a minute.

At the dawn of the 1990s, I thought it would be a good idea to drink the Earth dry of vodka. I didn't succeed, obviously, but I made a dent in the old reservoirs. Oh, I made a dent. I'd recently turned 21, and for a good 30-odd months, I went out every night and just choked it down. I'd joke every day that I had "Lime Disease" from the vodka tonics. It was no funnier then to anyone than it is now, I can assure you. The result of this mad patch is that I have a shocking lack of memory. The other day, I made a crack about Sheva's Comet - that skied balloon of a ball late in the 2005 Champion's League Final that is still out there in our galaxy somewhere, drifting like Sputnik's mechanical farts, frozen forever in time - and I failed to remark, or even remember, that The Dude got a hand on the ball. I mean, really. How does one forget such a thing? So, I live in the present. I don't have any choice - like poor Atlantis, my past in all its glory is drowned, seen only through the refracted lens of an abused and soaked brain as cloudy bits and pieces.

But don't cry for me, Argentina. You see, I am more passionate about Liverpool Football Club than I am about anything else and our present is really something. Right here and now, what we are doing is spectacular. We are having a moment. There is a lot said on here about our history, and rightly so. Our pedigree is something that sees us through the lean times, that lends us hope when others, unpracticed at the art of reflection, would bow their heads. We should never let go of those memories, those icons whose shoulders support the legs we stand on - but now, finally, I can see a new path, a new trail being blazed. A new era is dawning and I am proud and happy to be awake for it. I may not remember the details tomorrow, or the day after that, but for now, it is enough. I take it one game at a time out of necessity, one heart attack at a time, one fist thrust at a time, one goal at a time, a new hero for every match. It's a hell of a daft way to live, but it certainly isn't boring.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destination Anfield(postponed)scratch that.Sorted
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:16 pm »
Great OP... !!

Watching the match, even when it was 3-3, you had that sense... that feeling in your gut that it was possible to get into the lead and finish Swansea off.  I was sitting next to a LFC fan from London and he remarked "we didn't have to make that as difficult as it looked, did we?"  and I guess there's some semblance of truth in that.  But compare to two years ago as it has been pointed out by others, when if we were down by a goal or even that we were going to lose or remain in a draw.  And that would be at the 60' minute mark.  Yesterday you had a sense that it was POSSIBLE to win... to use Rafa's favorite word; "mentalty"
Not your typical OOT. Do-er of good deeds.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 07:41:52 pm »
I got the same feeling too both here and at Fulham, even at 70 minutes, I felt there was more than enough time to get the winner... and I got the impression that Swansea were beginning to get that impression too. As time went on and we started getting more possession and creating chances, they slowly started to retreat until we scored.

Once we scored, they rarely threatened like they did for the first 60 minutes. All credit to Joe Allen here. He helped reduce the space for them to work in and take the pressure off our defence, and also Toure who helped nullify Bony.

Offline mersey pirate

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:45 pm »
I am actually a little suprised to see everyone saying that Swansea played great, because I did not get the feeling during the game that they played particularly well. So the spirit and effort to get out of the mess was good, but I don't think we should have been in this situation. Although the goals they scored came from individual errors, I feel our defensive shortcomings have more to do with our very attacking mindset rather then the collective (in)competance of our defensive unit.
That said, this time on all three occasions when we were level with Swanse on goals scored, I always felt we would get another, this has not been the case previously during similar situations in the seasons.
And finally, Allen's performance was great, especially the tackles he made. Made me much more comfortable in the late stages of the game. The more players play themselves into contention for starting positions, the better will be the chances of finishing in our desired league position. I think Allen has done that.
The captain is fantastic.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 08:10:27 pm »
What a fantastic read. It's not only this team that's spoiling us mate - your contributions this last while have been a constant delight.

All I can really add on the defensive issue is that Swansea scored three peculiar goals. A worldie no keeper was saving, a deflected header, and a dubious penalty. The side can be coached over time and with additions to do better on preventing crosses, avoiding daft free kick concessions, and tightening up that space ahead of the centre halves, but on balance I think we're doing better on that. I'm not convinced Rodgers fancies the two front line centre halves he inherited though - I suspect he wants Sakho back, and another in the summer with a few going out. That'll be hard for us Agger devotees.

A word on Sterling. What a ball. They lauded Gerrard at Fulham - that ball yesterday wasn't too far away from it, was it? It was like a long putt at St Andrews from a gnarly old pro - he weighted it from the pit of his gut. What a player that kid is gonna turn out to be.

And can someone order up Suarez a couple of goals? Thanks.

Last but not least, WOOHOO!! The next few weeks will be predominately about emotion, so don't fight it, feel it.
The thing from my perspective is that there has been some Keystone Cop moments that always lead to stupid free-kicks that have led to goals or straight goals full-stop. Take the incident leading to their penalty Sunday: one player trips over the ball the other overruns it leaving their guy with an absolute gift. The Toure incident against WBA: Total farce. Skrtel's own goal v Fulham. IMHO lacking in concentration. There's been others of course, but we've been lucky insomuch as we've got out of jail to an extent with the attack, but it must be disheartening for the likes of Suarez rip a side to shreds with skill, just to see us go all schoolboy at the back and undo it all with a cheap mistake.

That said, we have recovered on the whole, but I've not seen us as comical at the back as we have been before this season. There's been lots of parallels to Keegan's Newcastle, insomuch as everyone's saying we'll outscore the opposition. There'll be a lot of times coming up though where one goal will be enough to win a match and we'll get it then blow it as we'll throw away some sloppy goals.

I have no issue with losing against a better side: This happens. What I do have an issue with is losing or even drawing against a side that profits from our own profligacy or errors when we've been the better side.

Actually, that's all bollocks. My real reason for moaning is really that it's been a fucking age since I was this excited at being a Liverpool fan (Dudek's save against Shevchenko was probably the ultimate...) and I am so desperate for us not to blow it that I'm a gibbering wreck and just want them to stop toying with me and win a bloody game without the need for CPR...
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 08:16:39 pm »
Joe Allen was the shizz this weekend  8)

There was nothing stopping him and he was the difference in my opinion between a win and a draw or worse against them. Bold move from Rodgers to take Sterling off for him!
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 08:31:14 pm »
What is there to say really.

I've got a strong feeling that the general level of Premier League football has dropped a little and that Rodgers is exploiting that magnificently well. We've had quite some sides with this attitude of 'fuck it when we skip three, we'll just score four anyway' over the years. Obviously Liverpool under Evans and simultaneously Keegan at Newcastle and perhaps Arsenal have been like that for some years, as have Spurs under Redknapp.

And what do you get from that? Reasonable results when you've got goals in the side. Van Persie and Adebayor at Arsenal, Adebayor and Modric and VDV at Spurs, Shearer and/or Ferdinand at Newcastle, Fowler and McManaman at Liverpool: all of these sides were capable of scoring four in a game and therefore were always in or near the top four. None of these sides actually ever looked like going close to the title in the end of the season though. That was easy to explain: these strikeforces weren't just CAPABLE of scoring four, quite often they were REQUIRED to do so.

And this hasn't changed. Shipping three goals hasn't been rare this season and letting in two has actually been commonplace. Well over a third of our matches are in this bracket and half the side have let in fewer goals than us. Yet our title push is still there. Nobody expected us to be anywhere near the top of the league and it's quite likely that it will fade once and for all if we lose another game, but nonetheless it's still there. Even though we've let in more goals than the average for a champions team already. It's little wonder too. As much as we love Toure, Cissokho and Flanagan, it's not champions material. It's not even second-choice material for the teams above us.

In the remaining 11 games it's up to Brendan to just throw his dice. There's hardly anything he needs to do really. It's all clear to see. If our defence will get themselves together somehow and tighten up and the attack will continue to shine, I really don't know where it will end up. I really don't. People will have a go at us because we seem unable to deal with that. We will have a go at anyone because we bascially score when we want. Eleven games to go now and I think this season is being so crazy.. We might win the lot and we'll be drinking champagne come May. As long as Suarez and Sturridge stay fit, there's no Premier League team we can't beat on our day.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:14 pm »

More like Keegan's Newcastle for me but with a little of Bacon Face's mental toughness. Our 5-1 win against Arsenal reminded me so much of their smashing of United 5-0 for pure "Fuck me, did that just happen" value.

I have to say we must be the easiest side to watch for football fans at the moment, except for Liverpool fans. I was laughing uncontrollably when Suárez scored his 1st and 3rd goals against Norwich. Then again when the 4th went in against Arsenal. My celebrations of the penalty against Fulham might have put my daughter off watching football with me for life and the emotional rollercoaster ride of this latest win should probably come with health warnings for Liverpool fans. I expect MOTD to have a message each week "For those Liverpool fans with heart conditions, we will flash up the final score on screen after the tone. Those in good health should look away now"

I enjoy watching our attacking play as much as the next guy but our defending might actually be the death of me. For what felt like a hour before Shelvey eventually scored I was muttering to nobody in particular "can we close him down please?" "are we just going to let him shoot like that?" "Stop backing off Skrtel, fuck sake" "Where's Gerrard?". You just knew he was going to score and yet it is only when he did that we started dealing with him better.
Likewise with Bony. "Stop grabbing him Skrtel. That seems to be every game though.

It just seems like we don't pay attention to warning signs / red flags. You can often see where the opposition will score from. The weakness they are targetting in us and yet we only seem to react to the warnings when they eventually score. How many times have we seen Shelvey pick his spot and score from outside the box? More importantly how many times would we have seen that in training over the years? Yet we didn't react to him getting his range on the 18th & 19th minutes before he plunked one in the top corner on the 23rd.

Likewise, the amount of attention Skrtel has got this season for his hands on approach to defending has been shocking and yet he continues to do his Randy Couture impressions at every set piece. Yes, other players do it too but it is Skrtel being singled out by the media as being "the biggest culprit" and therefore not reacting to that in any way was always going to cost us a penalty. I always feared it would be in the 92nd minute at Old Trafford so hopefully we have that out of our system.

490 minutes now without a goal for Suárez. I can only assume he is storing them all up to smash 5 past the Mancs and then celebrate every single one of them by diving in front of Moyes &/or Evra. He really deserves a goal but if ever the saying "there is more to his game than goals" applied to a striker then it is him. In those last 5 games he has created 14 goal scoring chances of which 3 resulted in goals.

To put that into perspective - Carlton Cole, Darren Bent, Chicaputo, Naismith, Steven Fletcher, Defoe, Kozak, Welbeck, Cleverly & Odemwingie are all attacking players who have created 10 or less chances this entire season.

Watching Everton and Spurs loose, for me, has sealed 4th place. I think we can safely (and quietly) making a push for the title without having to worry about looking over our shoulders. Really looking forward to the Southampton match now... not sure my wife, daughter or doctor are though.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 08:42:17 pm »
Great OP.

I think we just have to accept that if we are going to play three attackers in front of three essentially attack minded midfield players then games are going to be roller coasters. We are in essence reducing games to a game of basketball, where each team takes it in turns to have an attack. Safe in the knowledge that we quite simply have more firepower and a greater ability to score from broken play than our opponents.

We have our way of playing and as we have shown time and again it is incredibly difficult to play against because we will always throw caution to the wind and even if teams look to park the bus we still create chances and for the first time in decades have a real threat from set pieces.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline shanks_legend

• Anny Roader
  • Whopper/Beaut of the highest order
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:49 pm »
Brilliant, brilliant read.

Thank you
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 08:53:28 pm »
What makes me really happy is that we were shit defensively, our best player is not playing at his highest level, the midfield was a bit dysfunctional for this game, we were hampered by a poor referee, we had a soft penalty given against us, and one of their goals was deflected in, and yet we still won.

What I don't particularly like is the lack of attention to the people who failed to close Shelvey down, or cut out the pass to him. Henderson and Flanagan are just milling about in the box and not thinking about it. It's not the sign of a pro-active leader to be honest. They're both young and they'll both learn but in defence I often feel that the players need to think more about what they're specifically doing and if they can be doing it, or something else, better. Don't have time to elaborate on it right now, but I don't just like people saying 'Shelvey scored a worldie, nothing can be done about that' - the supply line could easily have been cut. There's few, very few times where you can hold your hands up and say 'we, or anyone else in the world, had no chance of defending that'.

Great read though E2K.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 08:55:49 pm »

I enjoy watching our attacking play as much as the next guy but our defending might actually be the death of me. For what felt like a hour before Shelvey eventually scored I was muttering to nobody in particular "can we close him down please?" "are we just going to let him shoot like that?" "Stop backing off Skrtel, fuck sake" "Where's Gerrard?". You just knew he was going to score and yet it is only when he did that we started dealing with him better.
Likewise with Bony. "Stop grabbing him Skrtel. That seems to be every game though.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who watches football like this ;D
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 08:57:35 pm »
It was noted by Ridgers at the start of the year that we wanted to add twenty goals to the team.
(Interestingly, this was the same target Man City had a season or two before..has this come partly from Fallows?)
I assumed that this would come from didn't goals all over the team, we have achieved it by adding more goals from the front AND getting a few more from elsewhere.

Sterling's emergence to such a high level has obviously helped, and has ameliorated the failure to sign that left sided payer we wanted.

I am also reminded of the England cricket team in 2005.

They set about scoring at a much higher rate to win games, it was very very effective, it seems we have adopted the same tactic.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 08:58:12 pm »

I really enjoyed that. Although I have a feeling the history lesson element will be, like good advice, liked least by those who need it most.

It's easy to forget that this is a young team in every sense of the word. It's not just that it's littered with young players but also that it's only eighteen months into its development. As you point out we are going to have days like these. In fact we are going to have them as often as we dismantle the opposition inside the first 45 minutes - a common occurrence this season.

Many have said that we looked a little nervous yesterday. Well we would, wouldn't 't we? Introducing a completely different style of play takes time. Trying to do so while, dare I say, challenging for the title is a different kettle of fish altogether. This is a very high pressure situation and what usually happens when people are under pressure is that they revert to what they are most comfortable with. It is to these players, and the managers, great credit that they have continued to stick to our new found principles,

We may have looked nervous but I will tell you something, we didn't look afraid and we weren't lacking in ambition. This team showed mental courage that in some respect belied its youth and in other ways can probably be explained by it. We have often this season, mainly through individual errors, looked like a side that is trying to find a way to lose but time and time again we have refused to accept the easy way, to curse our misfortune and give up. At no time was this more evident then yesterday.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 09:02:26 pm »
I know it's the round table and all that - and we're supposed to contribute..

But fuck me, thats a belter of an opening post.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Mattastico

• Kemlynite
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 09:08:11 pm »
Outstanding OP, best thing I've read in a long time.

Just spend 30 seconds thinking of how good we could be in 3-5 years time! Truly amazing development and I'm very excited for the future.

As for Swansea, nice try, you got close, but this is the new breed of Liverpool and we are not taking prisoners!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »
This Round Table thread should probably have come with doses of Valium for RAWK readers who are probably living on their last nerves, or will be by the end of the season, such is the seat-of-your-pants entertainment, verve, and attacking brilliance combined with defensive melodrama that is this Rodgers Liverpool. By the end of the season, RAWK will be populated by a collection of Bobby Chariots, desperately seeking those "pills for me nerves".

All in all, though, the game against Swansea showed three things - the best of Liverpool this season, the worst of Liverpool this season, and a glimpse of the mental hunger, strength and determination that has been lacking in a Liverpool team for the past few seasons. There have been individual players with the right mentality, but this season is displaying an entire team with it. For anyone old enough to remember, it has more of a feeling of Houllier's 1999-2000 team - flashes of brilliance, a few soft spots, but a general feeling that something big was on the horizon sooner rather than later. The following season, Liverpool won a treble. For this team, who knows when the reward will be reached. But something big is coming up the hill, and it's marching to the Brendan Rodgers metronome.

Tactics

Liverpool have been interesting over the last number of games since the switch to a purer 4-3-3. In all of the games that we've played in that formation, our shape has been near-textbook. The game against Swansea was no exception. Gerrard as the holder, Coutinho and Henderson in front of him, the fullbacks wide and forward, Suarez the reference point, and Sturridge and Sterling either side of him. Add to that, the freedom of movement of the front five, and we saw again the devastating attacking patterns that this Liverpool team can weave when it is on-form.

Swansea lined up in more of a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Britton sitting in front of the back four, DeGuzman and Shelvey pressing (clearly detailed with pushing into the space around Gerrard and forcing him to release the ball short when possible rather than allow him to fire laser-guided missiles to the feet of the three forwards), Dyer supporting Bony from the right and Routledge maintaining the width on his side and doubling up on Sturridge's side.

What was interesting to look at from Liverpool's perspective was the spacing of Agger and Skrtel, which went straight back to early last season and all the frailties that came with that level of splitting of the central defenders. Add that to Gerrard's occasional movement away from the centre to support his wide defenders (needlessly, and against the specifics of the role of the lone holding mid position), and we can see why Swansea at times had the freedom of the middle of Anfield to play in. For some phases of the game, we played with no centre. It was all attack, transition, and scramble. That we only conceded 3 goals is actually a testament to both Swansea's profligacy in front of goal (telling that their only “real” goal from open play came from a midfielder – Bony scored from the spot, and the deflected goal was being covered all the way by Mignolet), and Liverpool's ability to recover at pace. Technically, Liverpool were smooth on the transition, but there was at times a sloppiness to the play which screamed “overconfidence” rather than any lack of technical ability.

The Space Between

There were two big takeaways from the game. The first one was that Skrtel is error-strewn as a defender, in a way that indicates a general mental carelessness rather than lack of ability. It's almost ADD in its complexion. But he rescues his game by inverse moments of solid, old-fashioned centre-half play. It is a puzzle to see two extremes from one player at his age, but it is something that Rodgers is clearly prepared to live it. The other point which became obvious is the bipolar nature of Coutinho's talent. On one hand, when he is on song, he is unstoppable, and probably only matched by Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge in terms of expression of talent (yes, that includes Gerrard). But when he isn't on form, he is a liability. In his eagerness to try to perform like he did in the corresponding fixture last season, he spent too much time in attacking positions and not enough dropping back in to support Gerrard. After the game, Henderson got the brickbats for being “too forward”, but in fact heat maps and average positioning show that he actually spent more time in the defensive half:

Coutinho, on the other hand, spent the first 60 minutes or so playing up almost as far as Sterling was:

That's not to say he didn't get back – he did on several occasions. However, his general play was more attacking than Henderson's was, and this created a gap in the midfield at times that DeGuzman and Shelvey in particular took advantage of. The addition of Allen in the second half, of course, settled this gap more (together with the removal of Shelvey), and Henderson's forward forays obviously paid dividends with the winner. Still, though, it is something to watch out for in Coutinho's game for the future, because as well as the Gerrard/Lucas decision, we me might also see Rodgers considering the “Coutinho/Sterling” dilemma too, if Allen can offer more stability in central midfield positioning.

* THAT * Pass

The highlight of the game was, technically and tactically, the first goal. It had everything that has made Liverpool so devastating in recent games – pace, transition, positioning, and deadly efficiency. The quickness of Sterling to steal the ball (demonstrating in physical form the true separation of “quickness” from just “pace”), the vision to look up, and the positioning of Sturridge between the defenders was something that young players and coaches of young players should study, because it's not the first time Liverpool have created a chance or scored a goal from that kind of play:

The fact that this exact same pattern has been repeated a number of times shows that for all the training time we might not be doing on defending, the corresponding training time spent on perfecting the attack is clearly time well spent. The perfection of these attacking patterns are paying off in goals, and as long as we can create those, Liverpool will be up there challenging.

Overall

It was another harem-scarem, white-knuckle game from Liverpool. But perspective has to be taken – we lost 2 goals to things you either can't legislate for (deflection) or can't blame on the system (penalty). Without those two occurrences, and if the game had ended at 4-1 with just Shelvey's goal from Swansea, the post-match tone would have been a lot more positive. That we conceded a penalty is not something to worry about as it's not a huge problem. Deflections and own goals, though, are becoming a minor issue, and if we can resolve those and eliminate them, there will be a lot more to be happy about defensively then there currently is. Liverpool under Rodgers attack quite openly, and rely on creating numbers around the box if the ball can't be won early on. This creates issues that a more defensive team wouldn't have to face – but it's an issue that more often than not won't present itself to be a problem as long as the attack keeps creating the chances it does.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 09:39:05 pm »
My thoughts (based only on MOTD 2 I'm afraid).

1.  Sterling's pass with the outside of his right foot for Sturridge was as good as Gerrard's the other day.
2.  Shelvey scored a worldy.
3.  The second Swansea goal was a) a fluke and b) never a free kick or a booking in the first place.
4.  I cannot see what the Swansea penalty was given for.
5.  Suarez was fouled and it should have been a penalty but Jonathan Pearce said there was no contact when there clearly was - WTF?

There's been a lot of moaning on here but I think we were unlucky a number of times yesterday and possibly didn't play as well as we have been.  But we kept going and got the three points in the end so far more positives than negatives for me.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:07 pm »
When we have a transfers forum in the summer this game should be a prerequisite to post. The pros and cons of our team on full display. The game shows every position and player we need to replace.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:57 pm »
At the end of the day, there were positives and negatives in that game. What people seem to lack (without really bothering to have a look at the post-match-thread or many of the player-threads) is perspective. We beat Arsenal 5-1 and the league is ours as well as next year's CL. We concede some soft goals against Swansea and instead of saying we're 4 points of the top of the table we're just 32 points ahead of the relegation-zone. ;)

One thing is clear, Rodgers has improved the team. There is no doubt about that. We still have some issues, but then again I'll trust Rodgers enough to sort them out sooner or later. He has gotten us this far and he'll get us further given time and a reasonable amount of ressources/freedom. He has earned that trust over the time he's been in charge. I wasn't sure about him, when he was appointed. I don't agree with every decision he's made, but he has taken us to a point where we can compete with the likes of Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea. Say what you want about the league, about teams above us changing managers, about Arsenal being Arsenal. We're right in the mix at the top of the table and Rodgers' has played a huge part in it. So, overall everything is fucking rosey and I'm looking forward to the next couple of months.

However, if you look at yesterday's game there are certainly some things that need sorting out. Like basically throwing away a two-goal lead. I get that Shelvey's shot was unstoppable, but in the build-up there were quite a few mistakes. And they need sorting out. Again, that is Rodgers' and the coaches' job and I think they'll work on it. They might need time, but they'll come up with a solution to our fragility at the back.

After a game like yesterday's and in the situation we are, I'd rather focus on the positives and there were a lot of them. Like Henderson playing with loads of confidence. Like Sturridge still scoring. Like Suarez adding something to our game even if he's not scoring himself. Like Sterling doing great. Like WINNING the game 4-3 in the end. That's the most important thing. We were 3-0 at half-time in Istanbul. We won that game and nobody is talking about how awful we looked in the first half. Everybody is talking about how we turned it around and how we were victorious in the end. I'd prefer it, if we looked at yesterday's game like that. Swansea asked us some questions and we answered them in a way that got us the three points in the end...

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:58 pm »

Nice wordology there ;). I think there is some merit in that actually. Rodgers devotion to outscoring the opposition is similar to bacon faces even if tactically his team is set up differently. It's an approach that works in the premier league. Whether it will work as well in the champions league is another debate, but it looks increasingly likely that we're going to find out. That would represent massive improvement. Bacon face responded to everyone saying they needed a midfield controller by signing the leagues top striker and they won the league. Rodgers has been scouting more attacking talent even though we're the most prolific team in the league and I for one am not going to question that. More of the same please Brendan.

We're intent on doing things backwards this season. Grinding out shitty one nil wins at the start of the season and scoring for fun in the latter stages.

Any how three points on Sunday is what we wanted and that's what we got so job done. Sterlings pass was world class plain and simple. Henderson finally got a couple. I don't think I get as much joy out of seeing any other red score. Hope he can do it more regularly. Skertl was rightly done for the foul on Shelvey as he kicked out after winning the tackle, although his reputation got him for the penalty. Shelveys goal was a vintage Gerrard special. Having said all that we had more possession and more shots off and on target so we deserved the win. Is there anything left to say about Sturridge?. Allen looked boss and Brendan is going to have to make a decision whether to drop someone to accommodate him. It's great to have an actual selection dilemma for a change.

We may not need a new stadium mind you. The way this team is playing half of us will be dead from stress/excitement shortly. Pleasant change from stress alone though.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23:07 pm »
I love these types of games, and I hate these types of games all at the same time. no good for me heart.

Whenever I think of Liverpool, I think of us as a wild card of football. We make football worth watching, whatever game or competition it be in, we make it interesting, we make it special. Yesterday was a special game, and ranks in with the likes of the FA Cup final 06 etc... for just being out of this world.

I think when we are in our fabled home of the European Cup next season, all the other managers are going to take a look at us and think what the fuck are they going to do about countering us. How will they play us. They can plan for something all week like what our great Rafa used to do with us for a European night to work on something, and then we do something mad and just totally throw out their plans.

I honestly believe that yeah, we are the wild card, and we are only going to get more special. We can grind out results, we can throw away leads and then somehow manage to come back rather then let ourselves get deflated. I'd say it be nice to get a nice comfortable lead at half time, and then in the second half go out and go through the motions, keep possession and then get another goal and see a game out for a win, but frankly, that aint in our DNA, and I don't think it'll ever be, and I think these remaining 11 cup finals we find ourselves in... we'll see more tremendous attacking displays, more quite frankly woeful and disturbing defensive performances, and everything else in-between, and you know what, I think we'll see a lot more of it and simply because our Brendan Rodgers has no control over what the lads are going to come out like on match day.

I would like to think that the players would take a look at this game and go "oh eck that Jonjo Shelvey lad had quite a lot of space at times in the first half and could have done more damage to us".. amongst other things and realise that we can't allow players that amount of time and space on or off the ball, but well I think we'll see a couple more instances of that happening...

but the most important thing about this mad bloody game... WE WON!

And now they're gonna believe us!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 10:53:48 pm »

I watched this game on the radio. In a kitchen. At the in-laws. In the middle of nowhere with 4 young children, and I am alone with my interest in football. There's nothing worse than 'watching' games on the radio. Not games like these anyway, in a house where shouts of 'GET THE FUCKING FUCK IN!!' just wouldn't be understood.

Kids would come in and talk to me.. my own, and others, asking questions about things that kids ask questions about, and the adults would come in occasionally, asking questions that adults ask questions about. 'Is there a game on?' 'Yes.' 'Is it your team playing?' Yes. Are you winning? Yes.... 'Is there a game on?' Yes. Liverpool? Yes. What's the score? It's 2 all. My face is straight faced and I'm trying my best to be my usual, engaging self, but I'm becoming concerned that the underlying face of 'Piss off and leave me the fuck alone.' is showing through. It's a small kitchen and I can't sit down anymore. I try. Then I play chess on my phone (I've just got it working again after months without one) to try and well... I don't know. I did 8 moves against the computer and turned it off and went back to the pacing.

At 2-0 I'm punching air quietly through gritted teeth and I know we're going to get a third. Maybe just before half time or soon after. But there's always a free kick to give away. Always a corner to defend. And in a blink of an eye it's 2-2.

I've never really known what 'type' of fan I am - glass half full or half empty - negative or positive - it's a total mess, but up until the third, this was the inexplicable loss at home that's been coming. The Chelsea result was now looking positive, and I was in negative twat area. I still thought we'd score again... I thought we might score a few more maybe, but they were going to score a shitload too. Or something.

When Jordan skipped thru to follow up and slot in the forth, I gave it a bit of a cheer, but simultaneously realised I was now heading into 20 minutes of serious pain. 'And Swansea have a throw in in Liverpools half.. and it's taken quickly...' Shit me. On the telly welly or at the ground, you've got red shirts clearly visible... shirts that will steal that ball or head it out or look composed and organised. All you've got on the radio, is Toure, Skrtel and Mignolet (god LOVE them) in your head - their names yet to surface into the throat of the commentator. '... and he passes it back to Mignolet'. 'Dad! Dad! Can we do that Stegosaurus now Dad? Please Dad.' Not yet, not yet... my head in my hands. Then, with 5 or so minutes to go, I get handed the 6 month old daughter. Can you have her for a bit? What? 'And Coutinho loses the ball...' I can't even explain the situation to the wife... I can't even explain to her that this is not something I want right now... 'and GerRRARD!!! ........... (pause)....... and I lift her up and I tell myself not to throw her into the ceiling.... 'hits the post!' .. and... 'oh so close'. Don't throw her across the room. Oh my god, they're going to get the equaliser aren't they? They are now aren't they? WAAAAAAAA... WAAAAAAA ... who's a noisy little baby? And I do dad things to amuse her wails away. Then, a goal at Newcastle... I get a break from the pain... and I give her back... 'she's shitting herself'. And then we're back.. still 4-3... 45 seconds to go. How long is 45 seconds I ask myself. Then they disappear to the rugby. TO THE FUCKING RUGBY!! Not just a read out of a team sheet but a bloody description of what happened yesterday! I was spitting teeth, sweating and in a mild panic. Then those long last two minutes. Pain. The pain. Then the whistle. The hills are aliiiive.....

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 11:03:41 pm »

I watched this game on the radio. In a kitchen. At the in-laws. In the middle of nowhere with 4 young children, and I am alone with my interest in football. There's nothing worse than 'watching' games on the radio. Not games like these anyway, in a house where shouts of 'GET THE FUCKING FUCK IN!!' just wouldn't be understood.

Kids would come in and talk to me.. my own, and others, asking questions about things that kids ask questions about, and the adults would come in occasionally, asking questions that adults ask questions about. 'Is there a game on?' 'Yes.' 'Is it your team playing?' Yes. Are you winning? Yes.... 'Is there a game on?' Yes. Liverpool? Yes. What's the score? It's 2 all. My face is straight faced and I'm trying my best to be my usual, engaging self, but I'm becoming concerned that the

underlying face of 'Piss off and leave me the fuck alone.' is showing through. It's a small kitchen and I can't sit down anymore. I try. Then I play chess on my phone (I've just got it working again after months without one) to try and well... I don't know. I did 8 moves against the computer and turned it off and went back to the pacing.

At 2-0 I'm punching air quietly through gritted teeth and I know we're going to get a third. Maybe just before half time or soon after. But there's always a free kick to give away. Always a corner to defend. And in a blink of an eye it's 2-2.

I've never really known what 'type' of fan I am - glass half full or half empty - negative or positive - it's a total mess, but up until the third, this was the inexplicable loss at home that's been coming. The Chelsea result was now looking positive, and I was in negative twat area. I still thought we'd score again... I thought we might score a few more maybe, but they were going to score a shitload too. Or something.

When Jordan skipped thru to follow up and slot in the forth, I gave it a bit of a cheer, but simultaneously realised I was now heading into 20 minutes of serious pain. 'And Swansea have a throw in in Liverpools half.. and it's taken quickly...' Shit me. On the telly welly or at the ground, you've got red shirts clearly visible... shirts that will steal that ball or head it out or look composed and organised. All you've got on the radio, is Toure, Skrtel and Mignolet (god LOVE them) in your head - their names yet to surface into the throat of the commentator. '... and he passes it back to Mignolet'. 'Dad! Dad! Can we do that Stegosaurus now Dad? Please Dad.' Not yet, not yet... my head in my hands. Then, with 5 or so minutes to go, I get handed the 6 month old daughter. Can you have her for a bit? What? 'And Coutinho loses the ball...' I can't even explain the situation to the wife... I can't even explain to her that this is not something I want right now... 'and GerRRARD!!! ........... (pause)....... and I lift her up and I tell myself not to throw her into the ceiling.... 'hits the post!' .. and... 'oh so close'. Don't throw her across the room. Oh my god, they're going to get the equaliser aren't they? They are now aren't they? WAAAAAAAA... WAAAAAAA ... who's a noisy little baby? And I do dad things to amuse her wails away. Then, a goal at Newcastle... I get a break from the pain... and I give her back... 'she's shitting herself'. And then we're back.. still 4-3... 45 seconds to go. How long is 45 seconds I ask myself. Then they disappear to the rugby. TO THE FUCKING RUGBY!! Not just a read out of a team sheet but a bloody description of what happened yesterday! I was spitting teeth, sweating and in a mild panic. Then those long last two minutes. Pain. The pain. Then the whistle. The hills are aliiiive.....

:D Classic. I feel your pain.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 11:24:43 pm »
The one thing I love with Rodgers is that the road to improvement has been methodical and the path is clear. The way the team has evolved, the clear strengths and style of play is a massive credit to our manager. It's brave, positive football that matches our clubs identity. This game is just another footnote in Rodgers path to greatness. I've got not qualms predicting he will reach a level that immortalizes him on the KOP.

Onto the game;

It's telling that an injury free Agger was subbed early in the second half and as a straight swap for Toure. That's suggesting to me that Rodgers wasn't happy at all with how things were going and preferred to revert back to a CB partnership that has conceded a lot since the New Year. To me it says a lot about the Agger/Skrtel partnership and it's future. Particular after comments in the press conference.

Mignolet I don't think is helping things either. For all his obvious talents I wonder if he's not yet comfortable with his place in the squad. For me he's not taking responsibility and doesn't seem vocal enough. At Sunderland my impression was that it was the polar opposite, he oozed confidence, unfortunately a  bit like when Henderson arrived I think he hasn't yet found his identity at the club yet. He's not been bad but I think he's got much more.

Henderson I reckon might be on the verge of a goal scoring run. He's got a lot of talent and I think his recent form and now goals will spur him forward. He's got it in him, he showed that last season in the back half. I'm hoping though it gives him the confidence to take another step forward adding some goals that we've perhaps been missing from midfield. 
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 11:31:10 pm »

Absolutely stunning piece to read.  Loved it.

Yeah, we've had flaws that have been obvious to anyone this season, but we've put the ball in the net more times than the opposition when its mattered most of the time.

This season has scared the shit out of me, and equally thrilled me to fucking bits.  There's been some absolutely awesome displays going forward from the lads.  Boys have become men this season, and its been a joy to see.  Long may it continue.

I bloody well hope the reds are coming up that hill.

http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 11:33:36 pm »
I can't really add any more except the to laud the OP, Filler's non baby-throwing shenanigans (love that word) and PoP managing to shoehorn a Bobby Chariot reference in! I'll be sleeping in the Jag by the time this season's over.
We are Liverpool!