Author Topic: RAWK Round Table LFC 5-1 AFC  (Read 40569 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: RAWK Round Table LFC 5-1 AFC
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2014, 11:17:56 am »
Lovely post, by the way.

On this point: does Rafa's spring 2009 side figure in that discussion? There may have been moments under Evans too, in terms of attacking fluidity.

I think we have more catalysts in this current team. Under Evans we were very reliant on Mcmanaman to be our spark. He was brilliant but there were games where he was man marked and the whole team was shut down (Peter Atherton at Sheff Wed?).

The Rafa Spring of 09 was superb and maybe closer to the performances we've seen this season in that we were relentless in the way we pressed and fast and direct when attacking. Obviously Gerrard and Torres were key but in that spell Yossi and Dirk really stepped up a gear too so we had threats coming from al over the pitch.

We seem like that now. People look at Suarez and Sturridge and rightly say they;re our main threats but Coutinho can create out of nothing, Sterling's pace and movement makes him incredibly dangerous and Henderson's speed and physicality makes him a threat on the break too. It's so much fun to watch!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2014, 11:28:29 am »
You cannot play with this intensity two games a week. Stoke was the first game of Gerrard in the holding role, the pitch and weather has an impact on this as well. Overall there are still a lot of factors influencing this sort of performance, especially the opponent, which in this case with Arsenal gave us way too much space and didn't show up at all.

We didn't really play substantially different like compared to City away f.e. But City showed up, Arsenal didn't, the performance of some of their players, Ozil, f.e. was not on the level required for professional football. They were not arsed to do the basics and that's what you get as they made every possible mistake against us, especially underestimating us big time, similar to Everton.

It's always been the case hasn't it. When are we allowed to extoll one team's performance as sensational in it's own right and the likely cause of their opponent's ineptitude as distinct from it merely being largely the by-product of that opponent's intrinsic lethargy on the day?

For what it's worth in all the years I've watched us I've never known us give what I'd term an outstanding winning performance without the opposition pointing an accusatory finger at themselves or the media citing the weakness of the opposition on the day.

I prefer to believe great performances more often than not induce opposition ineptitude.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:30:26 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline TopOfTheKops

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2014, 11:29:05 am »
For all those saying "Not sure if this is allowed in the Round Table..." Well of course it is. We welcome any and all posts in here so long as they're not one line kneejerking bollocks.

*deletes post*

*leaves thread*

Offline MightyRedLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2014, 11:29:55 am »
So many positives to take out of this game, but I would have to single out Coutinho and Sterling. The one thing you can not teach in football is the vision and being able to pick a pass like Coutinho. When he is on song he's a genius. As the rest of his game improves with experience and training he will be a monster. As for Sterling, he gets better and better every week. This was a really special performance.

Offline Hash91

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2014, 11:42:13 am »
Brilliant game. We showed so much intensity and hunger in the first 25 mins that Arsenal were blown away. It was very very pleasing that we scored when we were dominating, as we have done to most teams at Anfield. A couple of observations -

1) I mentioned this in the post match thread. Very impressed with BR that he switched Sterling to the left to do a job on Sagna. Sagna is the more threating fullback than Monreal and Raheem pressed and tracked back excellently. He has been in great form in the past 5 games and has also learn to play in different positions and roles.

2) For the last 2 games, I've noticed we start the game with Sturridge up top with Suarez on the flank. This is reversed after the break with both switching positions. Looks like BR wants to hit teams with the pace of Sturridge early on and as the game progresses and defenders tire, put Suarez as the furthest man forward. So that he can attract defenders and allow the likes to Sturridge and Sterling to make runs either side to counter.

It would be very difficult to maintain the same intensity at Craven Cottage. But this is where we need to capitalise. After getting big results against our direct rivals - Spurs(away), Everton(home) - we have drawn or lost the next game. Need to make this count, especially with Arsenal hosting United and Chelsea with a tricky away tie to the Baggies and Spurs facing the Magpies at St James'

Onwards and Upwards!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2014, 11:43:27 am »
Fantastic performance from all our lads , Skrtel seems to be back to his best and Flannagan really making the right back his position .
Suarez Sturridge and Sterling are as good as any front 3 in the premier league if not the world at present .

Wondering why v Everton and Arsenal that Rodgers Didnt take the opportunity to rest Suarez at about 60 mins ?

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2014, 11:46:16 am »
Probably not the thread for it, but I feel the need to put down some musings that came in flashes on Saturday.

It's about a player that didn't score against Arsenal. I am old enough to have seen all the George Best games at Anfield (and one match at Old Trafford). He was the finest player I have ever seen in the flesh. I can't explain what genius is – but you can recognise it when you see it. Didn't see much of Pele at all really (didn't go to Goodison in 66). Saw enough of Maradona on the TV to recognise it and have been delighted, the last few years, to have it demonstrated, week in and week out, by Messi.

Well, we're all fucking privileged to see it every week.

And I do mean every week. Anyone old enough will remember players like Stanley Bowles and Rodney Marsh who, from time to time, would put a huge smile on any fan's face – not just QPR and City ones.  And now it is the turn of Liverpool fans to have their jaw drop and say to themselves “That didn't happen” - “He couldn't have done that”.

I think the thing that I'm trying to say is – don't, in any way, let this pass you by. The Shankly era was one of pure emotion – and being emotion you did soak it up, you couldn't help it. The Paisley era though brought success. Massive, overwhelming success and I, for one, bitterly regret becoming blasé about it. Somehow thinking that this type of thing was ours by right. 

There are many on here who can, far more eloquently than me, explain the type of football team and tactical approach  being built by Brendan. And boy, oh boy, it's a delight to watch.

But for God's sake don't, in any way, let this man pass you by.

We are unlikely to see it again in our lifetimes.

Fair play mate.  Great post.

I'm not on the planet as long as your good self and my experience in supporting this club started in the early 80s and I too ended up becoming blazee and took our domination and brilliance for granted.

Its been a tough couple of decades with the odd brilliant cup win thrown in for good measure.

And you're right.  The way we're playing right now is absolutely spectacular.

You don't want to get your hopes up for fear of being knocked down again but it really does feel like we're on the cusp of something here, and in an environment of over wealthy owners too where arguably its harder than ever to compete.

Delighted with the team, and particularly delighted with the manager.

Saturday was special.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2014, 11:57:26 am »
Don't know what more I can add. More superlatives I suppose.

Fantastic. Spectacular. Absolutely phenomenal performance.

I remember me and my brother spent most of the first half giving each other looks of absolute amazement at what we were watching. Not because I didn't think we were capable of it, but just at how brilliant it was, and in a game of that magnitude.

Everyone was fantastic. No more of this "keep Suarez quiet and we'll win". Haha. Good luck with that.

We made it look so easy. This round thing, it's going in your net now. There it goes. Ta lads, thanks for coming. Get in the bin.

This first 11 of our current squad would give the team of 08/09 a massive run for their money as the best team I've seen as a Liverpool fan.

That midfield. Gerrard, the anchor. Henderson, the engine. Coutinho, the magician.

That attack. It's like the elements. Sterling, the lads lightning. Suarez, he's like a wildfire. Sturridge is cooler than a fuckin blizzard. When Phil put him through, did anyone think he wasn't going to score? He was already dancing.

Behind them, there is still work to be done, we know that. Defence was boss on Saturday though, and you cant take that away from them. The squad as a whole is still thin, but that can be added to in the summer. What a prospect it is, to be going into next season with this team. With some helpful additions in the summer, and our younger players getting better & better - there really is no limit to what this group of players can achieve under Brendan Rodgers.

Meanwhile, I bet Fulham are shitting their keks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:21:57 pm by JTK »

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2014, 12:20:49 pm »
One thing that really impressed me and hasn't been mentioned much is how well we managed the game after that initial 20 minute spell. It's understandable that we're mostly focused on that because that's probably as dominant as you'll see a team in an opening 20 minutes ever. I hate "Premier League era" stats as a rule but I read somewhere that that was the quickest 4-0 lead in the Premier League ever. Against the league leaders, and when we could have scored more. It was breathtaking.

However I thought we managed the game well from there. It must have been tempting for the players to see how many they could get, but with an away fixture in London midweek it was incredibly professional to ease into second gear without ever really being tested defensively and still creating some decent chances at the other end. Some key players even got rested at the end.

I know this is about the Arsenal game but how confident does all that make you for Wednesday on the back of Fulham's 95 minute slog for a point at Old Trafford? Great result mentally for them, yes, but physically compared to us?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Mattastico

• Kemlynite
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2014, 12:25:30 pm »
That was as everyone agrees one of the best performances we've had in many years. Truly astounding performance especially when you consider the opposition. Arsenal are a very good team but were utterly destroyed in the first half and easily contained in the second.

I think a big part of it is down to Coutinho being moved centrally and how aggressive he is in pressuring combined with his amazing vision and passing ability. There was a lot of talk of Allen v Coutinho for a starting place before the game and it shows BR's mindset that he went for the more attacking option. Having him on the wing or the bench I think would've taken away a lot of the quick through balls on the break, so the arsenal defence would have slightly more time to compose themselves when they lost the ball. Makes no difference for set pieces of course... But do you think having him central made their back line indecisive at all and led to them not being able to play their usual game? Obviously you need the pace of the strikers to compliment it but if they aren't getting fed the defence can relax somewhat.

Going out to sign a winger in jan I think was just precisely to allow Coutinho to play centrally and instead we are using the SaSaS to do it. But this makes me think about the future vision BR has for the front line, and I'd be interested to hear the experts opinions on whether the interchanging on who is the main striker and who plays wide is just an option or the way we can expect us to line up for the foreseeable future. I just think that if we had got a winger we wouldn't line up as we did on Saturday and I can't decide whether or not that's a good thing...

After Saturday how can it get better?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2014, 12:33:31 pm »
My oh my
Sensational just doesn't do the first 22 minutes of that match justice
The crisp, fast, flawless start we made to that match reminded me of just how good this team can become
I haven't seen a performance like that from anyone all season against a relegation threatened team never mind against the team who were top of league
For me, what made me smile the most in that game was the chance that Henderson has where he tried to chip the keeper
The build up from Coutinho was sublime as sublime could be
The sheer ability that wee rapscallion has is something else, he just completely tore Arsenal a new, well, arse, and Jordan Henderson having the confidence to even try that speaks volumes of where he is right now as a player

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2014, 12:45:00 pm »
When the 4th goal went in, I'm not ashamed to say I got a bit emotional.

It really brought home to me that something special could be happening here. Our attacking was genuinely unplayable, and the levels of pace and skill going forward were just a joy to watch.

I cannot understand how all the pundits over the weekend were jizzing over Chelsea after our demolition of the (then) leaders, but I suppose it is good that we are still not in the spotlight.

If we can get our first choice defenders back and maintain that sort of attacking blitzkrieg then anything is possible.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2014, 12:46:38 pm »
Some lovely posts in this thread (as there should be since we're all still a bit post-coital).

Love these two:

I'm gonna throw in the points I made in the post match thread which I've expanded a touch.

Probably not the thread for it, but I feel the need to put down some musings that came in flashes on Saturday.

What a first 20 minutes! That bit of commentary from 1964 Panorama kept going through my mind. "In half an hour Liverpool scored 5 goals, and they should have scored more. Their poor sacrificial victims were Arsenal - southerners!"

There's so much good stuff to say that I could spend the rest of the day saying it. So I'll confine myself to saying what a fantastic manager Brendan Rodgers is. I agree with the two above posts. The Liverpool he's creating has the potential to be as exciting a team as we've had at Anfield since the 60s. He's the manager I've dreamed of us having for at least two decades now. It's his bravery that I admire. One illustration will suffice.....

He knows that Coutinho is NOT a luxury player. He knows he's a vital part of the machine he's creating. So vital, in fact, that when, after a few faltering games out on the left flank, the inevitable cries were heard to 'rest' the lad, Brendan responded by moving him into central midfield. From the periphery to the very heart-beat of the team. No one would have blamed him for dropping the Brazilian (well, ok, I would). After all that's what we're used to at Liverpool. A poor game from Benayoun or Luis Garcia? Have a five-match spell on the bench. Litmanen didn't cut it one week? Have 6 months off and play someone who runs around like fuck instead. But not for Brendan Rodgers. There is no inferiority complex there. He doesn't believe that a club of the stature of LFC should resort to safety-first at the first sign of a dip in form. The accent is on the skill for him. Coutinho must play - and he must play in a part of the pitch where he can be involved to the maximum.

Of course it cuts both ways. To hold down a starting position at Liverpool Coutinho has had to develop a side of his game that probably never existed in Brazil or Italy. He has to harry, he has to track back, he has to snap away at opponents when they have the ball. Credit to the lad that he's done this. His stats on Saturday for regaining possession were awesome.

So at the moment there's no better sight for a Kopite than Coutinho on the ball in the middle of the park with Suarez and Sturridge breaking ahead of him and Raheem Sterling and Jordan Henderson powering through the various zones to join them. No defence in the world would fancy that. I laughed at the idea that there was a Bayern Munich delegation in the Main Stand. You lucky fuckers I thought. You've got the Arse next week at the New Library, not the Redmen at a supersonic Anfield.

The two defence-breaking passes played by Coutinho on Saturday ought to win awards. The first had seemingly two types of spin on it. Top spin at the start to take it quickly beyond the Arsenal centre back. Then, once that was achieved, a vicious back spin which isolated the goalie in no-man's land and allowed Sturridge that vital, early touch. The second to Henderson was even better, not least because it was preceded by the type of mazy dribble that reminds you of why you fell in love with the game as a boy.

By the way, nice of Clem to turn up on the Kop. Always feel safer with him at that end of the ground. No need though. We could have played without a single goalie in the first half, never mind two.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2014, 01:01:15 pm »
I don't want to get carried away, talking up our title credentials or how Brendan could be on the 'famous flag' in a couple of years. It's not in my nature - I'm always more thoughtful, more sedate. Worn down, I think, by false dawns and manager/player departures of the past 25-odd years. "Let's wait a few years yet, see where this takes us" is my default. I really wish I was more the dreamer, more able to let myself go and just enjoy the moment.

I think I had a glimpse of what it's like to 'let go' though on Saturday. I didn't stop smiling for hours. I sat there in amazement after 20 minutes, just astounded that we'd done this to the league leaders - who, let it be said, are up there for a damn good reason - and what's more, we'd done it with such ease. As someone's already said, that first goal knocked Arsenal for six. The perfect delivery from Gerrard - that 'corridor of uncertainty', the nightmare for defenders and 'keepers alike - but absolute perfection if you're attacking it.

I thought then that we'd sit back a bit or rather, be forced back as Arsenal looked to cancel that opener out as quickly as they could. But no - we tore forward and ripped them open again culminating in another great delivery from Gerrard and what I can only describe as an utterly fantastic header from Skrtel. The difficulty involved in that was massive - running away from goal, stooping down low - to get the direction and accuracy on that... brilliant.

And so, we're 2-0 up. Careful I say, careful. 2-0 is a tricky scoreline at the best of times, the next goal (if one is to come) is always so important. Step forward Raheem Sterling, one of our most improved and most exciting players (or should that still really be 'prospects'?), to steady my nerves. The rapport he seems to have with Suárez is so warming to see. The way Suárez looked like a proud father when Raheem finished off that move. The huge grin from Raheem and how he immediately looks for Luis to celebrate. It's so good to see players who are genuinely happy to be alongside one another. The training pictures you can always argue can be selected to show any agenda but the reactions in live games - the way the whole group comes together, it's really good to see.

Still, even at 3-0 my nerves were not quite calmed. Admittedly, it was probably more nervous excitement mixed in with a bit of disbelief. Disbelief is definitely what took over when Coutinho gleefully accepted Özil's lax pass and threaded what was one of the finest passes I've seen through to Sturridge. I can't say "who doesn't miss" here because Daniel had missed what for him you'd think was a sitter moments earlier from Suárez' outstanding lay off - still, not one to be shaken by such events, Sturridge accepted his chance with aplomb. 4-0. Wow.

Given that barely 20 minutes had registered on the clock, I'd left my comfort zone and was starting to believe this could be a double-figure pasting. Arsenal were shot to bits all over the field and - let's get this bit right - it was only our decision to ease the pressure (coupled with a few more missed chances) that meant they got back into the game.  I've seen some comments state that "ah, but it was 1-1 over 70 minutes". Get out of here with that crap, any bearing on the remaining 70 minutes was massively weighted by the fact we were 4 up!!

We were to be treated to several more glorious things before the game was up. The Suárez volley off the post, his free kick (how perfect was the placement on that?! What a player he is), Coutinho's utterly ridiculous run and through ball to Henderson. Jordon Ibe coming on and playing like he just belonged there and even Aly Cissokho ran through the defence and got a shot away towards the final whistle!

There were a couple of "negatives". They aren't really negative, but: the Gerrard tackle for their penalty didn't need to be made (probably only because he was on such a high and believed he could make everything!), the fact Sterling or Cissokho didn't take the easier option and play in Aspas (Sterling you can perhaps forgive, given he was on a hat trick). Mignolet's decision not to catch the pass early on and his odd flap/punch effort going straight into Flanno... Like I said, not really negatives in the usual sense.

The subs were even good! A shame that Aspas wasn't on slightly earlier but then do you really take Suárez off with 30 to go?! I personally would have, but then again I'm not the manager. Speaking of the manager, a special mention for Mr Rodgers - he got his tactics completely correct there and blew the opposition away. He's got us playing with a ruthless streak that means we've got an end product to our at times scintillating attacking build ups. We've not seen this brand of football (at least not consistently) for some time and I'm not totally convinced it's how he ultimately sees us playing. Perhaps he's altered his eventual vision or is just getting through this as a means to the end product when we add more quality players - whatever it is, I'm loving watching it and long may it continue!

Absolutely fantastic.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2014, 01:22:47 pm »
It's always been the case hasn't it. When are we allowed to extoll one team's performance as sensational in it's own right and the likely cause of their opponent's ineptitude as distinct from it merely being largely the by-product of that opponent's intrinsic lethargy on the day?

For what it's worth in all the years I've watched us I've never known us give what I'd term an outstanding winning performance without the opposition pointing an accusatory finger at themselves or the media citing the weakness of the opposition on the day.

I prefer to believe great performances more often than not induce opposition ineptitude.

I wanted to say that it was both. Us being outstanding AND Arsenal not good enough in this one. I didn't want to take away anything from our performance, far from it.

If you look at it, the way we progressed it didn't come out of the blue though.We gradually worked on our flaws when it comes to the basics.. when was the last time our full backs didn't try to do everything in order to prevent crosses? When was the last time we looked disorganised at defending set pieces? When was the last time we looked totally stretched all over the pitch with the attacking and defending line looking out for totally different things? At the same time we developed our passing patterns in attack while the likes of Coutinho and Sterling developed into the players we knew they could be, and Henderson and Flanagan improving their game dramatically which more or less took away our weak spots which prevented us from playing the football Rodgers has been after.

It's been the result of the hard work in training from Rodgers and his stuff and I cannot wait to see even more of that. I think in attack we are starting to look like the combination of the best of the best of our glory days: Kenny, Barnes/McManaman, Beardsley, Fowler vs Suarez, Sterling, Sturrdige, Coutinho.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:26:10 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2014, 01:33:36 pm »
It is amazing how simple football can be sometimes when you marry up speed with skill in the correct places. Rodgers has achieved this feat in a super short time period. Why any manager would choose a different approach beggars belief. In the first 20 minutes we had a very simple formula, work hard in the middle, release the pace down the side. It worked a treat, as it has done throughout the season.

The variety of goals in this team is what is really special at the minute. I've read all the usual nonsense on rival forums 'set piece team', Suarez one man team', 'lucky with decisions' etc etc etc, but really we are now as dangerous as an attacking side as any team in the league.

- We have the best crosser of a dead ball in world football and surely by now have the record for most dead ball goals this season
- We have magical players who can create goals by themselves out of nothing
- We have a winger who is tearing fullbacks to shreds and stretching the pitch for us leaving defences wondering what the hell they should be doing and what line they should be holding (it doesn't matter which line you hold, Sterling will skin you anyway)
- We have a magician in the middle of the pitch who will slice you open on the counter, or slip it through if you sit deep
- We have Sturridge in supremely confident form, tricking his way past defenders and showing movement of the highest class
- We have Henderson bursting forward from deep to add yet another attacking weapon
- And of course we have Luis Suarez, the 3rd best player in the world

It's often hard not to get carried away in football when things are going well, however I think we all realize the sky is the limit for this current crop. There is only one way this club is headed and it is going to be wonderful sitting back and enjoying the progress.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2014, 01:34:58 pm »

Wondering why v Everton and Arsenal that Rodgers Didnt take the opportunity to rest Suarez at about 60 mins ?
Rodgers value his life. Wee Luis would have strangled (or bitten) him to death if he did that ...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:47:07 pm by MNAA »
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2014, 01:39:43 pm »
Rodgers value his life. Wee Luis would have strangled (or bitten) his to death if he did that ...
Missed opportunity IMO

Have a feeling IF we're in the same position v Fulham ,Rodgers will rest Suarez

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2014, 01:44:44 pm »
I had a thought flash through my mind just minutes before the game - I saw a 4-0 scoreline. Part of me was excited but the rest of me was worried that we would be on the wrong end of that scoreline...

That was one of the best 20 minutes of football that I have ever seen. Yes the goals were wonderful and have been discussed and analysed at length, but there were other moments that were just as impressive for me.
- 'little' Philip Coutinho putting himself about in a Souness-esque fashion
- Jon Flanagan defending as if his life depended on it
- Cisshoko looking more like the player many people believe he can be
- our Back 4, led superbly by Skrtel, looking solid and composed

Also, in a funny kind of way, I am glad that Kolo didn't score from the rebound after that amazing shot from Suarez...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2014, 02:12:01 pm »
One thought I had during that first 20 minutes on Saturday - just how much would Shanklyboy have enjoyed watching this team?

RIP, mate.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2014, 02:16:30 pm »
One thought I had during that first 20 minutes on Saturday - just how much would Shanklyboy have enjoyed watching this team?

RIP, mate.

True that.

I can't help reading and re-reading this thread, having a wee smile at some of the great posts, and thinking Saturday over and over.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2014, 02:25:44 pm »
RAWK Round Table is the best thread on this forum especially after a big win against a big rival. Great posting after great posting that are so insightful that at times make mere mortals like me feel so inadequate. Keep up the great work guys.

I have nothing much to add. Just that Saturday felt like we are definitely on the road to end years of hurt. We may not (though we still might ;)) win the league this year. But I have little doubt that if we continue to progress at the rate that we are going, we will get there sooner rather than later.

We currently possess a wonderful squad of players. Yes ... we are still relatively thin and we can't compare to the billionaires (or should that be the "big horses") football clubs. Yet we have what they don't. We have a manager who knows how to get the best out of his players, whose man-management is peerless and frequently lauded, whose player gradually improves and who is so good at nurturing young players and turn them to genuine first team players and more. And I have not even mentioned his impressive tactical prowess.

But it's our burgeoning pipeline of prospects that excite me the most. Sterling is already the best winger in the league (at least according to Brendan). Flanagan is our best fullback now (unless Johnson comes back to his pre-injury form). Ibe is knocking really hard at the door and am pretty sure he will get more chances before the season ends. There's Smith. There's Teixeira (I will be disappointed if he did not make it here). There's Rossiter. And lest we forget - there are also Wisdom, Suso, Robinson and McLaughlin who have every chance of making the grade. I am truly chuffed!

5-1 demolition job of the league leader on Saturday was no fluke. With Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Countinho, Henderson, Flanagan, Skrtel and Gerrard in the form  that they are and playing out of their skin, City and Chelsea are bluffing if they say they are not bothered. The message is loud, clear and reverberating throughout the league and Europe. We are truly back and they better believe it!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Rein(a) in Blood

• Kemlynite
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2014, 02:26:48 pm »
The sentiments here have been amazing - That first 20 mins was the best football I have EVER seen.

A couple of mentions on our defence needing work - this was a makeshift unit - just imagine when Sakho is up to speed and fully fit  :o

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2014, 03:12:36 pm »
You cannot play with this intensity two games a week. Stoke was the first game of Gerrard in the holding role, the pitch and weather has an impact on this as well. Overall there are still a lot of factors influencing this sort of performance, especially the opponent, which in this case with Arsenal gave us way too much space and didn't show up at all.

We didn't really play substantially different like compared to City away f.e. But City showed up, Arsenal didn't, the performance of some of their players, Ozil, f.e. was not on the level required for professional football. They were not arsed to do the basics and that's what you get as they made every possible mistake against us, especially underestimating us big time, similar to Everton.

I would agree with that, except for the fact that we totally sat off Arsenal from the 30 minute mark onwards, slowing down the pace of the game and hitting them on the break instead. Gerrard and Sturridge also got taken off really early so should be fresh for Wednesday. Also factor in that Fulham played a very very tiring defensive game only yesterday so players like Sidwell, Riise, Holtby, and Riether should still feel pretty heavy-legged going into the game against us.

I'd expect us to start the same XI and try to get a goal or two ahead early, and then bring on Allen to slow the game down a bit second half to rest for the weekend. That's the ideal scenario at least.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:15 pm »
I honestly haven't felt this much optimism since when we beat Madrid and United in 2009... Then, like now, we were chasing the title and looked like a team hungry for success and on the up. The biggest difference though is that we have good ownership this time around that look like they won't ruin things.

Offline Leosheer

• Main Stander
  • This is Anfield
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:20 pm »
...One illustration will suffice.....

He knows that Coutinho is NOT a luxury player. He knows he's a vital part of the machine he's creating. So vital, in fact, that when, after a few faltering games out on the left flank, the inevitable cries were heard to 'rest' the lad, Brendan responded by moving him into central midfield. From the periphery to the very heart-beat of the team. No one would have blamed him for dropping the Brazilian (well, ok, I would). After all that's what we're used to at Liverpool. A poor game from Benayoun or Luis Garcia? Have a five-match spell on the bench. Litmanen didn't cut it one week? Have 6 months off and play someone who runs around like fuck instead. But not for Brendan Rodgers. There is no inferiority complex there. He doesn't believe that a club of the stature of LFC should resort to safety-first at the first sign of a dip in form. The accent is on the skill for him. Coutinho must play - and he must play in a part of the pitch where he can be involved to the maximum.

WOW! You've just articulated exactly what I have been feeling for years. Thank you for writing this and thank you to Brendan for having the balls and intelligence to understand that these types of players are not "luxuries" to be discarded at the first sign of trouble. It might well have been a very different games if PC had been dropped for Allen

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2014, 03:19:35 pm »
OK then. Since I've put a few of the musings down earlier, I'll enunciate a few meanderings as well.

Saturday –-->  Pressing, off-the-ball-movement, accurate passing, great control, speed.

And my meanderings concern the pressing. Pop et al, I need some help here. Help because, in a way, it has me worried. Is it a style and methodology that's sustainable in the long run. Have training and rotational knowledge improved to the extent that we can maintain this for season after season?

Do we press for 15 mins and then have to rest for 15 mins. Can a side have this sort of discipline embedded in (trained into)  their psyche.

These meanderings (worries) come from some comments I read/heard some years ago. I think that they were from some of the players that played for Milan under Arrigo Sacchi. In effect, they were saying that they couldn't keep up that level for ever. At the end of the first season they were shattered – mentally I suppose, far more than physically (although week-to-week they complained they were knackered).

It came across as so bad that they would want off after a couple of seasons of it. (don't know if it was his 1st or 2nd spell).

Console me PoP. Say that we can keep this approach going.

Cause those first 20 minutes were simple, and utter, heaven.
"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2014, 03:22:09 pm »
People need to do a Casey Kasem for a bit and keep their feet on the ground. Lots of 20 minutes to be played yet eh boys, before the season runs it course.

A football match lasts for 90 minutes, not just 20.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2014, 03:25:16 pm »
Yep.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2014, 03:27:57 pm »
I think that it is becoming evident that we are almost more dangerous without the ball than with it.  We destroyed Everton on the break and we did the same, to some extent, to Arsenal.  Our players are hunting in packs and swarming the guy with the ball.  If they don't get it, they drop back into their shape again.  If they do intercept it, we are now breaking at lightning speed.  It helps that we have players in Coutinho and Gerrard that can kill an opponent with a single pass to either Sturridge or Suarez.

Everything went our way against Arsenal.  We got the marginal call for onside for the first goal, the second goal was a sublime header from a corner.   It was a great performance, maybe the most stunning 20 minutes I've ever seen in football.  I am struggling to think of another time when I saw us score 4 goals in 20 minutes against top class opposition.  Even in the 80's, I don't remember us doing that.  It was just unbelievable.  I was laughing my ass off at the score line after 20 mins and Wenger's face.

The one negative thing I would say is that we didn't actually keep the ball enough.  I know that it didn't matter on the day but BR wants to play in a certain way and that involves building from the back.  Our possession stat (as far as I know) was actually worse than Arsenal.   I just googled it and here are all the stats from the game:

http://eplindex.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/ar3.png

Our passing was less accurate than Arsenal, we had less of the ball, but we absolutely killed them in 'successful tackles'.  The stat was 31 vs 12 for Arsenal.   Also, our chances from open play were 14 to their 6.  Those two stats tell the story of the game. 

Strangely enough, this reminds me of how Ferguson's United teams played in their early days, not Liverpool in the 80's.  I think that Roger's ultimate aim is for us to get to the point where we have the opposition chasing shadows.  That's not where we are at right now but you can definitely see the evolution in that direction. 

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2014, 03:35:39 pm »

We lack competition in the squad, I think we would have less of the West Brom type performances if there was a few more players snapping to get into the side, still frustrates me that we are just as likely as anything to turn in a listless performance in the next game. plenty of positives to be had but It would actually be a good thing if we had that element of players straining to keep their standards up in fear of losing their spot, easier said than done though, looking at the team the front 4 will be a very, very good player that is capable of challenging any of those, defence is where there is most scope to improve the first XI (based on current form)-

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2014, 03:38:00 pm »
Yorky and others have already praised the performance of Coutinho but I want to go on about him some more.  8)

P. Coutinho:
Take-ons3/3
Through Balls5/7
Long Balls4/6
Key Passes5
Tackles4/12
Interceptions2/2

Such a fantastic performance in the middle of the pitch. If you look at his heat maps, most of his work was between our 18-yard box and the kick off spot, on the left.

Those numbers are just fantastic but just watching him as a CM these past few games has been exciting. It seems his natural position now. His toughness is surprising. He knows how to nip in and knock the ball free, or just harass a player into doing something stupid. And if the ball pops free near him his touch and control allow him to pick up what looks like a wild ball, dominate it, and get it back into play quickly.

3 of 5 Key Passes and 2 of 3 Take-ons originated from just inside our own half. He'd harass, pick up the ball, take on whoever was in his way then play the ball on to some dangerous situation. Just fucking brilliant watching it happen.

And the lad isn't afraid of anyone, any size.

I think he is going to be absolutely immense for us there, whether we're playing this faster more direct football or we want to slow it down and stay on the ball.

On another note, anyone with complaints about Rodgers selling us tiki taka and playing this more direct and counter attacking football is just wrong. We're just a team with immense capability and talent that can do either, when one or the other is required, and with a manager who isn't so dogmatic that he won't bend and change things about if he sees a good reason to. A little more depth and talent in our side in the summer... my mouth just waters at the idea of us next season, in the CL (:fingers crossed:) and giving thrashings to Europe's best.

Onwards and upwards, lads. Excellent work!

EDIT

And I guess I would like to add that: our midfield hasn't changed since last season. We've seen the same players on the pitch but I think we can all agree the performances we've been treated to have been at another level. I guess that is all down to Rodgers working with them and his tactics. My point is, we are just bedding in now, it seems. We haven't done any extravagant shopping or sales. The squad has just been working and working hard and well. And best of all, one has the feeling that the players on the pitch aren't even near their full potential individually or as a team yet... very difficult not to be excited for the years ahead.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:54:36 pm by GregCharrua »

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2014, 03:47:44 pm »
We were like a pack of dogs with a scent for nothing but the ball. The speed in our closing/pressing and passing was immense. The pace wide and upfront really caused them a problem. I think many other teams will play the ball over the top of arsenal if they have pace to get past Mertersacker. Lets hope United do the same to them.

We can talk about the goals after the 2 Skrtel goals, but it was the Skrtel goals which allowed us to play. It really does help to break the deadlock, put the onus on them to get a goal and hit them on the break. We could have had a lot more too, the Henderson shot, two suarez shots, and the following rebound that landed at Kolo's feet.

Some may bemoan the penalty, but take nothing away from the lads that played, even Cissokho looked confident in the 2nd half.

This is the kind of energy we need away from home, can we do it against Fulham? After all, we did rest Sturridge, Suarez and Gerrard :)
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2014, 04:05:03 pm »
There is, of course, an elephant in the room and, brave as always, I shall now point out said elephant.

Suarez and his goal drought.

There, I said it.

Offline long.

• Anny Roader
  • He shoots... he SCORES!
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2014, 04:27:45 pm »
This thread has been an amazing read, many thanks to everyone who contributes.

Just like to chime in about our combination play and the partnerships we have within our squad. the SAS has been done to death by the media and us a like, but I'll like to bring up the wonderful connections between Suarez and Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge. It's beautiful to watch! up until this game suarez had actually assisted every single one of sterlings top flight goals for liverpool. while sturridge has been loving the service provided by our magician coutinho. the reason these two link up so well is that the searing pace provided by sturridge perfectly complements coutinho's swift through balls.

defending against us is quickly becoming a hellish nightmare! bring on fulham!

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2014, 04:56:05 pm »
http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/England-Premier-League

Liverpool with 5 players in Whoscored.com's EPL team of the week. Not sure I've seen so many from one team.

★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2014, 05:07:01 pm »
To me, the three key changes/developments are:

1. Gerrard increasing comfort in the controller role, both in attack and defensively.

2. Coutinho being willing AND able to do the marking, harrying, pressing required.

3. Sterling being able consistently to use his dribbling and body control abilities to get away from close marking and maintain possession, including defeating attempts by the opposition to 'hunt in packs' and willingness to move from the flank towards the central areas of the pitch, especially the opposition half.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2014, 05:08:52 pm »
http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/England-Premier-League

Liverpool with 5 players in Whoscored.com's EPL team of the week. Not sure I've seen so many from one team.

I am sorry, but 4-4-2 with Suarez as RM? I like the inclusion of five LFC players in that 'team of the week', but that's just a silly piss-take of a formation.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2014, 05:10:38 pm »
I think it's always a 4-4-2. Suarez playing wide-right against Arsenal gives it some logic.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2014, 05:10:54 pm »
There is, of course, an elephant in the room and, brave as always, I shall now point out said elephant.

Suarez and his goal drought.

There, I said it.

When he assists and is involved in as many goals as he has been, and we manage to score as many as we have 'anyway', then it's ok. It will become a problem if we again have to rely on him exclusively to score goals.
Ludi Circenses!