Author Topic: Round Table: Liverpool 2 V Aston Villa 2  (Read 23082 times)

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Round Table: Liverpool 2 V Aston Villa 2
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2014, 06:40:56 am »
That's all well and good but Gerrard is not Jay Spearing, with all due respect,  in his first season needing players around him to remind him to drop back between the center backs and get the behind the ball while playing it save from the back.

Rewatch this first half and you will notice that Gerrard almost single-handedly caused the turmoil in our play as he was roaming around the pitch as it was 2003 in a cup game against some league one team.

Against Stoke, he did all that and I am pretty sure that if he would have concentrated on just that Villa wouldn't get anything from this first half. Villa wasn't so strong, we were playing without a holding midfielder for the entire first half of the game and nobody can tell me Gerrard wasn't aware of what his job should have been. Actually I am still scratching my head in disbelieve what he was thinking as you would assume that any player to concentrate on playing it save first and foremost in a new holding role on his own.

There were a lot of players having quiet games as well but the abolute minimum you could ask of a player would be to play in the given position first and foremost. For sure it's been not only Gerrards fault but he didn't do this AT ALL and for that, this first half must have been the worst I've seen him play....Roaming around like a retired legend in his testimonial or legends game in post season..

Totally agree with this. Not sure if anyone else has brought it up already, but look at Gerrard 's position when Villa's break begins for their first goal - he's up around the edge of their box. What the hell is he doing there? Now to be fair, after initially only trotting back, he then breaks into a proper run when he sees Weimann coming past him, but he still ball watches and totally loses him in the box. Of course others should also take their share of the blame on that goal, but for me that few seconds summed up Gerrard 's lack of discipline, followed by lack of mobility, followed by lack of awareness. To me, if we continue to play him as the deepest midfielder, whether that's part of a three or a two, we'll finish outside the top 4.

Offline bepoq

• a-lu-la!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2014, 07:47:39 am »
IMO, using an extremely young and talented Sterling in a RB position, at a time when he is garnering belief, confidence, consistency and attention in the position he is playing, would be delusional.  :wave

well don't wave at me, I was considering an idea put forward by POP about which I have some reservations, as I think I made pretty clear in the post, but also think it offers some significant positives and would love to see work if it would. Take it up with him.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2014, 11:53:54 am »
Totally agree with this. Not sure if anyone else has brought it up already, but look at Gerrard 's position when Villa's break begins for their first goal - he's up around the edge of their box. What the hell is he doing there?

Exactly my thoughts in those first couple of minutes of the game where he was roaming around the Villa box as if he totally "forgot" his job to do. It almost like he was provocating these sort of situations, people saying Weimann prevented him from coming good (Redknapp) or that he had no protection (Carra) are totally deflacting from the fact that he didn't even try to play the way he was supposed to. A little bit like Moses against Hull away... you cannot play football like that and it's exactly these sort of performances which could cost us top 4.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:56:32 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »
Well I wrote that before I realised how badly injured Lucas was. Other than Suarez, Lucas has been our best performer this season. No surprise there. There's been a theory that he's never quite matched his performances of 18 months ago. That he's slower than he was. Crap really. He's been every bit as good. He stands out less for one reason - Rodgers has built a better team than the ones Lucas used to play in under Hodgson and Kenny. We're not as reliant on him. Simple as that.

Having said that he's still an extremely important player for Liverpool and we'll have a job on winning games without him. I hope Brendan looks to the transfer market now.

cant agree that Lucas is our second best performer or that he hasnt got slower, not sure how your coming to those conclusions? Hes still really important as evidenced by Saturday's game and i would say we are definitely reliant on him in that DM position. We also really need cover for that position as im not sure Allen is the right person there if Lucas is injured, Gerrard definitely isnt.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2014, 06:28:28 pm »
Now, after a few days and an Everton tie, I have had time to think about this more clearly.  Points to take away from this game are:

1) Do not start a land war in SE Asia or talk about winning the EPL as LFC manager (assist to woof)

2) The Pottery Barn rule to management was in effect at Anfield - Rodgers broke it, and he fixed it
       - He said to blame him! Bravo! Accountability
       - Getting a tie was critical after the errors and may turn out to be important in the long term result
       - Not starting Lucas, but having him incur and injury is a fundamentally important outcome for this team going forward - FIX IT
       - LFC are at their best when we dominate the ball in midfield and can spring SAS - GET US THERE AGAIN, FIX IT

3) The Gerrard "Regista" role is an on-going conversation between BR & FSG (branding, replacements, and prolonging his career)
       - Fans have their opinions, but plans are being put in place for Stevie to have a lifelong role with club
       - Rodgers likes versatility, always has ----- and we do not know who Rodgers summer signings may be to cover deficiencies
       - It might be better to wait to form an opinion on this topic as there will be pluses and minuses for this type of change

4) Too many Piano players changes our tune.  We need the right balance between carriers and players
      - Glad we have a manager who is not afraid to make controversial decisions
      - After all, he is asking his player to be brave and take the ball into risky areas to create something new, why not coaches
      - Tactically, maybe we go with Sterling at RB and Johnson at LB (keep Coutinho on) ---- (assist to Phase of Play)
      - Regardless of position, or offensive/defensive characteristics, we need a winter transfer who CARRIES the PIANO first before playing

5) We have not lost the mentality, desire or willingness to sacrifice for each other when things do not go according to plan
       - Destiny is in our hands
       - Favorable schedule provided we win at home
       - We must not forget that the most important partnership is not a CB pairing, but the SAS pairing --- nurture this, and we'll be fine

6) Jose Mourinho is a complete and utter gash
       - While my bile and hatred is saved for Man United, I am percolating a new brew of plastic-billionaire-bullying hate for this team and
          reneging on everything I have said on this forum about Maureen being Rodgers' mentor, and deserving of consideration and
          respect.  Fuck that.  He has made the shit list, and I would hope Rodgers has something clever in store for him when they come to
          Anfield this spring.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:45:12 am by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Hollywood Balls

• Pine Wood Cock
  • Kopite
  • "Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville."
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2014, 10:52:44 pm »

Good post but isn't the real wake-up call here that once a player's legs have gone - especially a player who relies on his dynamism for his game - there's no way to delegate that part of his game to another team member?
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts: CAN'T LOSE!