Author Topic: Everton v Liverpool Preview (November 23 2013, Goodison Park, 12.45)  (Read 82782 times)

Online DefJack

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Everton v Liverpool Preview (November 23 2013, Goodison Park, 12.45)
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 05:36:46 pm »
People talk as if Everton have become Barca-lite in their possession play, they couldn't be further from it, their high possession counts are due to boring, lateral passing from CB to CB, CB to DM, DM to CB, they are woefully slow in their buildup and beyond the physical threat of Lukaku and the delivery of Baines lack any major penetrative threat.

I'd like to see us press them high up the pitch, get bodies in the middle of the park and disrupt their lateral passing, their game WILL break down, they don't have the technical ability to maintain a possession system while under heavy pressure. Beyond that we simply need to limit their already limited threats, Lukaku is strong, but I fancy Sakho to deal with him comfortably, Baines needs to be forced backwards, with Hendo being perfect for this role, and Cissokho will need to have his best game to deal with Mirallas.

Their triumverate of Distin/Jagielka/Barry would strike fear into the hearts any attacker who plies his trade at the higher levels of the Championship, thankfully I feel our attackers should provide far too dynamic for them, watching Jagielka embarrass himself for England the other night reminded me how over-rated he has become.

We'll beat them 3-0, Suarez, Sturridge and Cou all picking up a goal, well maybe 3-1 if Lukaku gets his head on something

Offline Vortigen

• Anny Roader
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 05:57:47 pm »
I feel like a lot is at stake for this one.  3 points would make me a very happy man.  I sincerely hope Suarez is rested, or only plays a few minutes today. Uruguay surely don't need him to keep hold of a 5 goal lead against mighty Jordan.  Sturridge is another concern.  Why he played 90 minutes in a pointless friendly is beyond me.  I hope he can muster whatever force of will he's got to put in a real shift on Saturday.  My other concern is the midfield though.  Both Gerrard and Lucas looked very tired after the last international break.  Unless Everton have 'one of those days' these lads will need to be at their best.  I'm not exactly brimming with confidence  :-\         

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 06:36:47 pm »
  Both Gerrard and Lucas looked very tired after the last international break.   

Lucas never played in the fixture immediately after our last international break (Newcastle away). And in the next game he played - WBA at Anfield - he put on his best performance in a red shirt since his injury.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 08:33:19 pm »
Here is my tactical preview of the opposition

----------------------------------

New Manager, New Everton
Roberto Martinez is employing a 4-2-3-1 type system at Everton this season as his predecessor largely did. However, the new manager is encouraging a possession-based ethos in order to provide a greater level of control in matches. Unsurprisingly though, there have been some teething problems with certain games filled with hollow passing such as the recent 0-0 draw at Palace. As the season progresses, Martinez will be looking to ensure that there is a purpose behind the passing by injecting it with tempo and movement that were evidenced in their better performances so far such as the 1st half against Newcastle.

Everton's set up
The defence in the graphic below have played every minute of every game so its reasonable to assume we will see this again. In midfield, Ross Barkley is the player that has missed out recently. With Martinez going with McCarthy & Barry as the holding players, he has moved Osman into the advanced midfield position at the expense of Barkley. Out wide, the manager has linked Pienaar up with Baines on the left with Mirallas starting on the right and obviously Lukaku upfront.

Their general style has seen Martinez encouraging Pienaar & Mirallas to pick their moments to come inside off the flanks and encourage both full-backs to get forward to provide the width. It’s a simple strategy that by bringing them infield, the team have more options to keep it in central areas to encourage a more possession based game that Martinez is looking to instill yet still gets the best out Baines & Coleman given their attacking tendencies.

The pivot in midfield generally sees McCarthy use his energy to get forward more and do the chasing & closing down in midfield with Barry covering the space a bit deeper and reading the danger. This season, McCarthy averages the most tackles per game for the team whilst Barry averages the most interceptions per game. As shown i the average positions above McCarthy (16) has had a higher position than Barry (18). With Barry sitting as the deeper of the two being the one to start attacks and being the outlet ball by backing up the play, he is the player that gets on the ball most for Everton and has averaged the 5th highest amount of passes per game this season in the league.

As for upfront, Lukaku plays as a lone striker but has had his better days with Barkley behind him. In recent games, Martinez has made a more conservative selection in Osman there who has failed to link up the midfield and attack resulting in Lukaku coming a bit deeper to try get involved with the play. The recent bluntness is not only down to this selection issue but a drop in Mirallas' form recently. I think this is the key selection issue for Everton in the derby - will Martinez go conservative with the experience of Osman or will Barkley come back in and provide more drive in attack ?

Change in Style
Last season Everton averaged 52.9% possession (9th highest) with a pass completion rate of 79.4% (11th highest) and averaged 369 short passes per game (11th highest). After 11 games this season, they have averaged 58.1% possession (4th) with a pass completion rate of 83.8% (6th) and average 453 short passes per game (6th) which is 23% more short passes than last season. It is well documented that Martinez has looked to change Everton's style with the manager recently saying;

"If you want to have big results it has to be a big change. But I would never tell my players to launch the ball forward".

However, it would be foolish to believe that Everton are married to a short passing game under Martinez irrespective of the improving possession stats and recent comments. After all, with a tall and powerful striker in Lukaku, playing clever balls over the top can help turn a team around or simply hit his chest and look to play from his lay-offs. Two examples of this are the games against City away and Newcastle at home when the ball went from back to front. These were not pressure relieving aimless punts, rather the balls were played with relatively little pressure on the ball. Therefore, it would be unwise to expect Everton not to consider mixing it up with longer passes looking for Lukaku. That said, it is certainly something that Liverpool should be looking to force Everton into by pressing them in deeper areas especially with 2 debutants in Barry & McCarthy.

Fig 1. Lukaku goal at City started by a long pass
Fig 2. Long balls played by Everton at Villa

Possession based game
There will be certain aspects of Everton's transition under Martinez that Liverpool fans will be able to relate to. In the last 2 games at least, it would appear that Everton are going through a phase of retaining possession without being able to apply a cutting edge to open teams up. By retaining possession in midfield and moving the play from side to side, it can draw players out of position and open space for the likes of Barkley & Mirallas that have the willingness to travel up the pitch with the ball and the ability to beat defenders. Mark Noble suffered earlier in the season when he fouled each of them when they were on runs and picked up yellow cards for each foul and got sent off.

Recently, both Liverpool & Everton played 2 of the weaker teams in the league and each had a staggering amount of possession - approx 70%. Below is a look at the main pass combinations in those games. With Everton, there was alot of football played amongst their defenders and their defensive midfielders which is alot of football being played in non-threatening areas. However, Liverpool's main combinations involved getting Henderson & Johnson to link up down the right and also Gerrard & Lucas looking to get Coutinho on the ball.

Continuing the theme of passing trends here are a look at the most recent 2 games of each side - both played a top London club and both played a relegation threatened London club;

- LFC v Fulham & EFC v Palace: Liverpool played 26% more forward passes than Everton and had a better pass completion rate (87% v 81%)

- LFC v Arsenal & EFC v Spurs: Liverpool played 21% more forward passes than Everton and had a better pass completion rate (77% v 70%)

These comparisons are almost like looking at Liverpool early last season (more lateral passing) and the team this season (more vertical passing). As such, part of Everton's play this season is almost like looking at the reds under Brendan Rodgers in the first part of last season. With Everton having 70% possession against a relegation threatened team (Palace) and drawing 0-0, its not an original story for a team and something reds can relate to from previous seasons.

The rest of the preview is here

www.theinsideright.com

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:06 pm »
No
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 08:44:31 pm »
No

The only tactic in a derby is to go out there and win, nothing more.

And anyone who says they enjoy derby's, has never been to one.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 08:59:41 pm »
Here is my tactical preview of the opposition

The rest of the preview is here

www.theinsideright.com

Excellent stuff mate. :thumbup
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 09:05:01 pm »
Really hope we can win this. It's a good test, they're doing well this season under Martínez and playing better football than under Gollum. A win here would be really good for the confidence of the players and also the fans.

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 09:06:31 pm »
No

HA ! I've been to plenty and massively enjoy them, reason being that I have never been when we have lost  ;D
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 09:08:08 pm »
Excellent stuff mate. :thumbup

Glad you liked it Lenin :)

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2013, 09:10:02 pm »
Glad you liked it Lenin :)

Saw your preview on "this is anfield", really enjoyed it. Thanks for that.
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2013, 09:11:53 pm »
I have a bad feeling. Not because they are so good, because of our key players all away on international duties and so far I cannot remember us performing to our standard level whenever this has been the case.

I hope the players prove me wrong but I have my doubts. On a normal day though, we should be able to win this with our current first eleven.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2013, 09:12:26 pm »
I have a bad feeling. Not because they are so good, because of our key players all away on international duties and so far I cannot remember us performing to our standard level whenever this has been the case.

I have the players prove me wrong but I have my doubts. On a normal day though, we should be able to win this with our current first eleven.

We haven't lost after an international break under Rodgers though.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 09:12:53 pm »
We haven't lost after an international break under Rodgers though.

Yeah but we haven´t won either no?
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 09:15:50 pm »
Let's twat em! Stop the Belgiums and we'll win. Although not my favourite player I hope Enrique is back for this.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 09:24:18 pm »
HA ! I've been to plenty and massively enjoy them, reason being that I have never been when we have lost  ;D
Hope you're going to this one then!  :thumbup

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 09:24:33 pm »

PoP mentioned in his OP that we've won 2.
YWNA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 09:27:22 pm »

Won 2, drew 3

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 09:28:43 pm »
PoP mentioned in his OP that we've won 2.

Won 2, drew 3

Oh, sorry!! :-[

Maybe I am oversensitive when it comes to the judgement of those games, the Newcastle one annoyed the shite out of me.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2013, 09:36:11 pm »
Maybe I am oversensitive when it comes to the judgement of those games, the Newcastle one annoyed the shite out of me.
Me too. Helped when Chelsea and Spurs lost to them after we drew though.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2013, 10:09:00 pm »
Thanks POP, Lanky and Rory. Really interesting reads.
Here's my analysis.
It's all about the mid-week hangover for me. IF there is nothing serious with Stevie and Daniel and if Luis manages a bit of sleep and doesn't jet lag too badly then we are probably a bit more dangerous and a bit more practised at what we do.
But that's a a lot of "if's" with a  "probably" and "bit" thrown together. Multiple uncertainties multiplied by an early kick-off and rabid terraces, compounded by a determined Everton divided by a new manager.
Simple when you know how eh.

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2013, 10:35:04 pm »
It's a derby (to go top), Suarez could be sleep-walking and he'd still be up for it I think. 
Otherwise, (my apparently incorrect notion of our- cheers PoP) international hangover looms large over all this excellent analysis. 
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2013, 10:46:51 pm »
phaseofplay  Football's a simple game... 
dios esta buena

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2013, 10:48:35 pm »
phaseofplay  Football's a simple game...

Why are you on a football forum?

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 10:50:41 pm »
Why are you on a football forum?

Oh, come on! I was takng the mick.
dios esta buena

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2013, 11:07:52 pm »
I have a bad feeling. Not because they are so good.

Hold on a second. This is Everton not Arsenal, City or Chelsea. Despite them inproving this year we are still a stronger team than them and they are behind us in the table.

I know we are away from home but we should be going out with the intention of winning and if not a draw is a decent result. Then twat them at home.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2013, 11:08:24 pm »
No

Ive been to a few a couple at the old Wembley and one at Maine Rd as well as a enjoying a certain Mr Rush doing well at Woodison a while back - Rush scored one Rush scored two....

To be fair though, part of the enjoyment was taunting those bitter shits after the game  ;)
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:08 pm »
Hope you're going to this one then!  :thumbup

hahah  no not this time  ;D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2013, 11:51:23 pm »
Oh, come on! I was takng the mick.

Why were you taking the mick?

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2013, 11:53:46 pm »
Is it bad that I'm feeling exceptionally confident about this game and think we'll beat them comfortably?

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2013, 12:06:45 am »

Hoping for a win and a relaxing weekend but I cant envisage it at the moment

He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2013, 12:18:36 am »
I would like to see Sakho play at left back as I think Cissokho is a real liability and would probably get torn to shreds like he did at Arsenal.

The key men for me are Lukaku and Suarez. Both can make something out of nothing, but Suarez's support in attack is better than theirs and he usually does well against this shower so hopefully he does again!
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2013, 01:09:32 am »
Like a few people have already mentioned, playing the early game after 2 international breaks in a row seems hardly fair.  No doubt we would have won the Newcastle game if we had played Sunday and if we lose/draw this one that could be 4-5 pts dropped.  In a season as tight as this it's a huge advantage to the other sides we're competing against for top four. 

Tactically I wouldn't be so sure about Everton attempting their possession game against us.  Watched their last home game against Spurs and it seemed like Martinez deliberately set his team out to sit deep and defend.  It really diminished all real threat going forward for Everton, and if not for Spurs profligate attack they would have lost the game.  If they try the same again, I have no doubt we won't be so generous.  What was also evident from that game was the havoc Spurs LB Vertonghen caused them.  PoP highlighted the space we may be able to exploit when Baines pushes forward, but I think the left side could also bring us some joy if we play an attacking left back that is capable of roaming inside and exploiting gaps between Mirrallas and Coleman - for me Enrique is better suited to doing this than Cissokho.

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2013, 01:27:39 am »
Rory that is a really good preview, thanks for taking the time to write it.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2013, 02:05:30 am »
Like a few people have already mentioned, playing the early game after 2 international breaks in a row seems hardly fair.  No doubt we would have won the Newcastle game if we had played Sunday and if we lose/draw this one that could be 4-5 pts dropped.  In a season as tight as this it's a huge advantage to the other sides we're competing against for top four. 

Tactically I wouldn't be so sure about Everton attempting their possession game against us.  Watched their last home game against Spurs and it seemed like Martinez deliberately set his team out to sit deep and defend.  It really diminished all real threat going forward for Everton, and if not for Spurs profligate attack they would have lost the game.  If they try the same again, I have no doubt we won't be so generous.  What was also evident from that game was the havoc Spurs LB Vertonghen caused them.  PoP highlighted the space we may be able to exploit when Baines pushes forward, but I think the left side could also bring us some joy if we play an attacking left back that is capable of roaming inside and exploiting gaps between Mirrallas and Coleman - for me Enrique is better suited to doing this than Cissokho.

I think we've been very lucky with the draw. Hardly a position to complain IMO
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2013, 04:18:48 am »
three points all that matters
YNWA

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2013, 04:41:25 am »
I can't think of a game I dislike watching more. I really really hate derby games.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2013, 05:32:57 am »
We shall batter them. Many Reds will perform various outstanding feats of skill desire and power in an ongoing team competition for play of the day. After our third goal,  Martinez will write something down in his little booklet and go sit down for the rest of the game.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.