Author Topic: Rawk round table LFC 4-0 v FFC  (Read 31597 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: Rawk round table LFC 4-0 v FFC
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 08:22:44 pm »
While I agree with that I do think Johnson loses more 1 v 1s than he wins because he always comes inside, into and around the penalty area. Quite often resulting in a toe-poke from the defender hopefully going to another 1 of our man close to edge of box (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYLN9Xfxun0). If he went down the line he'd have more success but he never does (don't think that suits our game or his). Of course I'm not saying he's a brilliant dribbler - but what he does do is remain a constant threat and allows the ball to fall to Suarez in the area more often - and given Suarez is Suarez that's pretty valuable.

Even though he comes inside it adds width to our game and allows us to overload that side (to great effect vs sides like Fulham). How many times do we see Gerrard branch one out to Johnson and an attack is immediately created.

He loses more 1v1's because he doesn't have good timing. He doesn't get beaten because he comes inside - he gets beaten because he doesn't know when to slow his run with the ball, which allows the defender to toe poke the ball away because he effectively puts it on a plate for them. If he could have ever figured out the rhythm of a 1v1 situation, he would have been 10 times better :)
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 08:27:02 pm »
Fulham were abysmal while we were excellent and you can only beat what is put in front of you. It could have been a lot more than 4-0. Whether Gerrard was as bad last week and as good this week I'm not so sure probably something in between for me.

I don't think returning to the back 4 had any impact on this result.

Glen Johnson is one of our key players and I don't think his contribution is appreciated a lot of the time until he gets injured.

Henderson seems to have the same stage fright in front of goal that he seemed to have at this time last season. I'm confident he will find form in front of goal again.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 08:36:05 pm »
As an attacking fullback maybe.......however I also like my fullbacks to have a bit of height and strength to help clear crosses and defend in the box. Sterling would have to be very cute at "leaning" into players. I just think he's too light to be a great fullback and would need to up his tackling.

A consistent and comfortable outlet on the flank is probably closer to our needs than a defensive rock. Doubly so if we ever play 3 at the back again.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 08:36:46 pm »
He loses more 1v1's because he doesn't have good timing. He doesn't get beaten because he comes inside - he gets beaten because he doesn't know when to slow his run with the ball, which allows the defender to toe poke the ball away because he effectively puts it on a plate for them. If he could have ever figured out the rhythm of a 1v1 situation, he would have been 10 times better :)

The old stop start a la Barnes?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2013, 09:23:30 pm »
The old stop start a la Barnes?

I also think GJ would have profited immensely from exposure to fustal at a young age. It's amazing what learning how effectively to move the ball in small increments of distance and direction can do for a player.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 09:37:48 pm »
It was impressive. No doubt about that, it was impressive. It was impressive for a number of reasons;

1] Routine win. I haven't said that since 2009. A team turned up, we expected to beat them, we beat them well, at a canter.
2] Excellent work rate. Everyone bought into the Rodger's model, result, 4-0.
3] Some switches in personnel, no problem. The team went back to a flat back 4, Agger and Johnson came back in, no problems. Very impressive.
4] Effective play. I remember under even Rafa (the yardstick for so many) it rarely felt easy or routine. Yes, team's were crushed under incessant pressure, but now if a team shows weakness, there is an almost surgical ability to slice them open. Say, a rapier to Benitez's death by a thousand cuts. Now if a mid-table or below team turns up, we expect to take them to the cleaners. Sure, its still a wrestle against the best sides, but you feel given time this team could become something really top notch.
5] Fortress Anfield. Everyone seems to take this for granted, but the past few years chipped away at that perception. Teams came to Anfield ready to compete and win. Now they turn up terrified that if they come out of their own half they will be slaughtered.

So many good things about the tam at the minute, no wonder I can't get a blasted ticket. It sort of feels like Liverpool are where Spurs were two years back, ready to blast the league apart.There is still some way to go: an improved midfield would certainly help and if Suarez goes this summer (as we all suspect he will if CL is not on) it will be a blow... but these feel like hurdles rather than brick walls, it all feels so positive, its just great.

Saying that I suspect Liverpool will lose against Everton (simply because they are due, that's the reason for me)... but here's a thought - Beat Everton and Arsenal slip up against Southampton... we could go top. Amazing!
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:58 pm »
An easier test than Arsenal, to put it mildly. But three of our very best players were restored to the starting line up too and that must have made a difference. Johnson is not only a very fine defender (as he proves time and again) but a constant torment to the opposition when we go forward. Agger brings pace to our back line - that assured first touch almost always becoming the launching pad for a team thrusting forwards. Then there was Coutinho who might have a claim to being the most exciting player to watch in the Premier League were it not for the obvious candidate.

Coutinho had an easy time of it, sure, but here was a powerful reminder of what we've missed since his injury. Does anyone have quite his mastery of the ball - whether he's under pressure or carrying it at pace? It's like watching Jari Litmanen pumped full of amphetamines. His ability to change his mind twice, three, four times while dangling a leg over the ball was - especially in the first 45 - a big reason why we attacked like we did. Opponents are drawn towards him when this happens, but very few fancy actually putting in a tackle. Meanwhile broad acres are opening up everywhere else. Liverpool filled them with brilliant movement on Saturday.

Gerrard and Lucas were magnificent again in the centre and probably the former was our Man of the Match. Henderson put in his best performance of the season and there were signs that he's making passes more quickly and with heavier weight. Invariably it was he who was making those off the ball runs to lengthen and widen the pitch - especially in the second half when we took more care to rest on the ball than sustain the onslaught.

Only Sturridge failed to fire, but he'll be back with a barnstorming appearance v Everton for the simple reason that he loves the big games best. One thing though. Sturridge needs to value the scrappy goals. The game's best cross (from Johnson in the second half) was put right onto the striker's sweet spot between a defence trying to turn and a goalie tied to his line. All it needed was a centre forward prepared to take a gamble. Daniel loves gambling when he has the ball. He needs to be as audacious when he hasn't.

Terrific times though. I haven't enjoyed watching Liverpool play as much since....since Kenny's team in '90.

It must hurt when you see those BBC employees on the MOTD stealing a living.  ;)

Offline NetSpend

• Main Stander
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2013, 12:35:15 am »
I'd just like to say a word about Lucas, possession and pressing—it should perhaps go in the Lucas Gerrard thread, but it's come to me thinking about this last game, to some extent in juxtaposition with the one before it.

Anway, it seems to me that Lucas is a very good defensive midfielder when we play deep, (but he can be got at if the space he patrols is overloaded with opposition midfielders) but that he is an absolute monster when we move up the pitch and press and exert pressure in front of him, controlling the ball more and pressing when we lose it. Two reasons for this (well, the ones I've noticed most anyway). When we're up the pitch and pressing well, the passes out from the opposition are often hurried, sometimes panicked, and certainly unable to be timed to the run of a forward leaving his marker (in any direction I suppose, but mainly back to the ball). Lucas is just remarkably good at reading the game from that advance defensive position, and he absolutely hoovers up these less than optimal passes. He flat out bullies opposition forwards and midfielders because his reading and sharpness to the ball is better than theirs, and defensively in this phase of the game I think he's as good as Mascherano was—he doesn't cover the ground as quickly, or destroy quite as aggressively, but he has some Xabi mixed in—he reads the game better and his tackles are frequently not full on tackles because they don't have to be—he's arrived at the optimal moment (and he can be freer about it because up the pitch it doesn't matter so much if he mistimes it).

Secondly, his distribution after gaining possession in mid or advanced midfield is very effective—quick and accurate—wide or down the middle, giving extra time on the ball to Gerrard, Coutinho and the front two even in a shortened field—and when we play forward, most of the passes available are well within his most effective range. Finally, it's when we finally manage to move the whole team forward that Lucas finally turns up on the edge of, or even in the box. Not often, but when the opportunity presents itself—which it will more frequently now that we've got more than one or two main attacking threats to pull the opposition about. My feeling is, taken all in all, that when we press and the whole team moves up the pitch, Lucas becomes absolutely world class—and as such, I'd like to see us do it rather more, not because I'm a particular fan of Lucas, but because I think that the benefit of his play at its top level is really worth looking for, and I also think it is more likely what Rodgers has in mind, and that it will bring us more success than will the sitting deep stuff.

Finally, I've heard people say on here that we don't have the personnel to play the pressing/possession game properly, and I'm wondering why that is. The only ones who it would seem can't do it/don't much like it (if you've got Enrique and Johnson in the team) are Gerrard (struggles on the pressing side for a whole game due to legs, and tends to want to release the long ball quickly, because he can do so devastatingly, but it doesn't bring the whole team up the pitch), perhaps Skertl , just in not being so enthusiastic about a high line (although, I'm not longer sure this is true—I've not been his biggest fan, but one wonders how much it has been about confidence with him given a couple of recent performances—the too many touches, the panic out wide, the wanting to drop further back—maybe they were signs of a player not trusting himself and he will continue to improve), and Mignolet. I watched Napoli and Juventus today, and Pepe, who also made a couple of quite extraordinarily fine stops and wasn't at fault at all for any of the goals (all three are worth looking for by the way... actually, the whole game, just to watch Pirlo take the piss even in a game of two excellent teams full of good players playing well), just looks so at ease with the ball at his feet by comparison. Is that it then. Three players don't fit (sort of) the pressing model and thus we can only do it against weak teams? If Skertl improves and Mignolet adapts, could Lucas play in front of Gerrard (Gerrard as his own version of Pirlo)?

um, sorry, rather longer ramble than I expected.
Best post I've read about Lucas since he signed, i can't understand why so many people still don't rate him. I also think he needs more time to get back to 100% after his injury, last month was 2 years since Ramsey's injury for arse and look at him now compared to last season. 

Offline bas5times

• Anny Roader
  • Fickleness is not cool
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 02:05:05 am »
The 4-3-1-2 is IMHO the best formation to use with our best XI out there.

It gives us 3 CM's in the middle with Coutinho as the CAM and SAS in their favoured central positions with licenses to roam and the width is provided with overlapping fullbacks.

Everyone played well with Suarez, Johnson, Gerrard and Hendo the standouts and Lucas quietly being very solid. Fulham were very poor but we played to our potential and could have scored 8

I think the 442 works best for us, provided we have our full selection of players available to make it work.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2013, 10:30:14 am »
I just wanted to post a quick example of something I found great on Saturday (movement of forwards). This is a moment Coutinho played a through ball for Henderson:

What had happened just before is Fulham had a flat line of four at the back, Coutinho picked up the ball on the left and drifted in. Suarez has already pulled away and can receive the ball in space deep. Sidwell knows Suarez has moved (you can see him look slightly earlier) but is drawn towards Coutinho, as is Parker.

The key move is Sturridge, who drops deep and Amorebieta decides to go with him. Henderson charges into the open space and Coutinho's pass is just out his reach.

What I love about this is that team movement makes a big wide open space but Henderson's run can also be used as a dummy, with Coutinho laying off to a nearby teammate if he chooses and with Fulham's defence pulled out of position.

It's amazing how much you can see from just a still image the movement of henderson the vision from Coutinho, Just brilliant

Offline dumaten

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2013, 12:55:53 pm »
If he'd done that, though, Rodgers would be right if he'd chewed his head off afterwards :D

Henderson making that run into THAT space deserves a pass, and not giving it means that in the same situation at a later point, Henderson might not make that run because he'll expect Coutinho to make the safe pass rather than the penetration pass. This is something Arsenal were guilty of yesterday against United. Too many safe passes in the attacking third. This shows the value of Coutinho though - he looks for those passes, because his education in Brazil has always been about diagonal movements to open up central passing lanes. That's why he "completes" the team, in a way. We have, as you say, great movement to create space. But it's all for nothing if somebody doesn't play the penetrating run with a pass. And as you point out - Coutinho was on that in a flash. Position, movement, vision, passing. All great elements that all great teams have had :D
I guess this is a training ground move, Coutinho on the ball left/central with Suarez and Sturridge both dropped short is the trigger for Henderson to make that diagonal run. We used it again 10 minutes later, and Henderson flicked the ball over the covering fullback but Senderos got back in time to cut it out. It's powerful because Coutinho draws the DMs to him, leaving that left-sided centre half with a choice to either get tight to Sturridge (Henderson runs in behind) or hold his position (Sturridge gets on the ball and turns to run at goal). It relies on Coutinho watching that centre half and being able to disguise his pass, which he is very good at.

The likes of Skrtel and Henderson who I thought had very good games relish the time they were given, and both look good players when allowed this freedom to take 2 or 3 touches before choosing their next option, and their weaknesses are hidden when this space becomes the norm in the game.

It baffles me honestly when I see teams play this way against us as I would go as far as saying now any team in this league that sets up this way against us will go home with their tails between their legs be that Chelsea, Man City or Palace etc.

I am living in hope for the rest of the season every team try's to play this way allowing the space, as as I see it the only major weakness we have now is the teams that put us under pressure to make snap decisions ie. Southampton, Arsenal, Swansea did it 2nd half to us whereas everyone else has allowed us the space and dare I say it we have looked top 4 if not championship material.
Long May that continue

Teams, especially weaker ones, can only play the way their personnel and training allows them to play. Fulham did actually have a spell of pressing at the start of the second half but this was a disaster for them (that string of liverpool chances around 47 minutes starts with Agger being pressed right back to the corner flag and Coutinho being tightly marked in our own half) as it just meant more spaces in front of and behind their defence. To press aggressively requires the right players and tons of work in training. A side like Fulham, with Berbatov up front, lazy wide players and a geriatric midfield would have lost by more if they tried to press, as evidenced by the 10 minutes or so they tried it before dropping deep to try to limit the damage.

Apart from that short period of pressing the only space they allowed us was in the middle third, with at least six players defending deep on the edge of their box. Any space that opened up in the final third was due to a combination of our good play and poor individual defending, not because of intentional tactics.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2013, 01:01:12 pm »
You can see when we have this sort of shape what patterns have been worked on in training. There are different triggers that we seem to use for moves - Johnson going forward is another one. That particular move happened two or three times on Saturday in near enough the same way with Sturridge coming off diagonal to Coutinho on the ball and to an angle where Amorebieta shouldn't follow tightly and if he does should adjust and recover immediately when Henderson makes the run.  The fact that Henderson played wider on Saturday I think means that Rodgers is more confident that he can in fact be used as a penetrative tool rather than just a compensation player, which he has often been when he has played wide. His space creation for Johnson for example was extremely good and his movement often acts as the trigger for Johnson to go forward. When he plays wider instead of always tucking in narrowly to act as a third midfielder, it allows him to create space more effectively in the final third, make those diagonal runs that he couldn't make if he always tucked in centrally and penetrate more.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2013, 01:07:25 pm »
If we'd played to the potential we showed against Fulham, 'should' we have taken points at the Emirates?

By should, I mean were we good enough against Fulham to have got something from Arsenal. Clearly we couldn't call on the same people, so no criticism is intended, more a barometer of best XIs (Arsenal didn't have theirs either!).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:09:41 pm by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2013, 01:10:50 pm »
If we'd played to the potential we showed against Fulham, 'should' we have taken points at the Emirates?

It's hard to tell, given that Fulham offered little resistance. Games against the bigger teams can usually go either way; they are, in effect, "lottery" games, where the cliché "form goes out the window" can often ring true. I think we might have had a better chance with a 4-5-1, though, than the 3-5-2, simply because Flanagan and Cissokho would have had more protection. Would probably have ended up a 1-1 or 0-0 though?

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2013, 01:12:58 pm »
I agree, Grkstav. I thought we switched to possession based play, which was a good plan.
It was good to see that we can switch our approach.  The game was won.  No need to win it again.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2013, 01:15:37 pm »

By should, I mean were we good enough against Fulham to have got something from Arsenal. Clearly we couldn't call on the same people, so no criticism is intended, more a barometer of best XIs (Arsenal didn't have theirs either!).
I think if the Henderson from this game was playing at The Emirates we would have got something from that game.

Against the likes of Fulham and WBA he seems so much more confident on the ball and is looking for those through balls to the strikers while his running off the ball is a lot more attacking and looking to hurt the opposition.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2013, 05:04:23 pm »
I think if the Henderson from this game was playing at The Emirates we would have got something from that game.

Against the likes of Fulham and WBA he seems so much more confident on the ball and is looking for those through balls to the strikers while his running off the ball is a lot more attacking and looking to hurt the opposition.

I don't think the Henderson from this game would have been allowed to play like that at the Emirates. however, I would say I felt the Emirates experience was more down to formation and personnel than performance. There was an overload on the wings that create gaps all over the midfield, the move to a 433 nullified that to some extent. However, Henderson's lack of creativity really tells against the better sides. Its not his forte, but he is still valuable to the team.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2013, 05:15:35 pm »
It would be interesting to see what would have happened against Arsenal if Jose Enrique, Agger and Johnson were available. Of the eleven against Fulham, 9 of them have been coached to such an extent that they seem  to be so well-versed with what Rodgers expects of them, that it seems like they are virtually doing their own thing and Fulham's eleven players are just minor stumbling blocks to whatever they want to do.

Of the remaining two, who have been here less than six months, and possibly not so ingrained with the methods of Rodgers, Mignolet virtually had nothing to do and Cissokho's participation was minimal to the point that the game the other 9 were playing almost seemed to pass him by. I also recall Rodgers calling Cissokho over in the middle of the game to give him instructions. I don't think he needed to give instructions to any of the others.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:23:29 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:21 pm »
Question for PoP,

It seems you have indicated on here that Rodgers generally doesnt favor changing up formations/personnel after wins, instead using changes to correct or address some issues after a defeat. (forgive me if that is a crude description of what you have said before).

Do you think we will come out with the same flat 4-4-2 formation against Everton?  Last year, if I recall, Rodgers changed to three at the back at half to address the problems Fellaini was causing us.  I know he isn't there anymore, but we haven't exactly handled Lukaku well either.  Any chance we revert to a back three with either Sakho/Toure/Skrtel in the middle to mark Lukaku?

Don't think we learned much about Rodger's preferred tactics against Fulham.  They just werent qulity enough to push us.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »
Question for PoP,

It seems you have indicated on here that Rodgers generally doesnt favor changing up formations/personnel after wins, instead using changes to correct or address some issues after a defeat. (forgive me if that is a crude description of what you have said before).

Do you think we will come out with the same flat 4-4-2 formation against Everton?  Last year, if I recall, Rodgers changed to three at the back at half to address the problems Fellaini was causing us.  I know he isn't there anymore, but we haven't exactly handled Lukaku well either.  Any chance we revert to a back three with either Sakho/Toure/Skrtel in the middle to mark Lukaku?

Don't think we learned much about Rodger's preferred tactics against Fulham.  They just werent qulity enough to push us.

I would make a guess that we'll stick with the 4-4-2. If nobody gets injured in the internationals, he'll probably go with the same line-up. If one of Suarez or Sturridge is unavailable, I think he'll go to a 4-2-3-1 and stick Moses in there. Everton are a different team, Lukaku or no Lukaku, than they were under Moyes. Their game will suit us. I don't think the formation will matter so much as us outplaying them at the possession game.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2013, 06:57:17 pm »
I would make a guess that we'll stick with the 4-4-2. If nobody gets injured in the internationals, he'll probably go with the same line-up. If one of Suarez or Sturridge is unavailable, I think he'll go to a 4-2-3-1 and stick Moses in there. Everton are a different team, Lukaku or no Lukaku, than they were under Moyes. Their game will suit us. I don't think the formation will matter so much as us outplaying them at the possession game.

I haven't seen many Everton games lately but it seems Lukaku hasn't been scoring judging from my fantasy team. Rumour going around that Delofeu is going to start against Liverpool and he's a good little player but not sure he should get his first start against a rampant Liverpool team. Everton have only lost once but have drawn many and I don't think they carry the threat that Moyes' Everton did the last few years. Solid team but strangely more defensive even with the possession game. Form goes out the window in a derby match but I think we have a chance to really have a go at them if all of our players return from International duty in good nick. Thoughts?
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2013, 07:01:10 pm »
I haven't seen many Everton games lately but it seems Lukaku hasn't been scoring judging from my fantasy team. Rumour going around that Delofeu is going to start against Liverpool and he's a good little player but not sure he should get his first start against a rampant Liverpool team. Everton have only lost once but have drawn many and I don't think they carry the threat that Moyes' Everton did the last few years. Solid team but strangely more defensive even with the possession game. Form goes out the window in a derby match but I think we have a chance to really have a go at them if all of our players return from International duty in good nick. Thoughts?

I think it will be the most open derby game in years. And because of that, I think we'll win with a clear margin. If Suarez scores one, he'll score two.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2013, 07:09:08 pm »
Lukaku hasn't been on the form he was earlier in the season, and in the second half in particular he seems to have a tendency to fall away a little bit, I'm pretty confident we can take the win (then again, I was against Arsenal too).
Either way, it's lovely seeing us put away "smaller" teams at home with relative ease, at the end of the day, that's what wins you titles.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2013, 08:50:12 pm »
I think it will be the most open derby game in years. And because of that, I think we'll win with a clear margin. If Suarez scores one, he'll score two.

Do you think Suarez will start, given that he will have played his qualification game for Uruguay only a little more than 48 hours earlier combined with a long haul flight trip back to the UK? I don't think even Suarez is a good enough athlete to put in a high-intensity 90 minute performance in a derby game after a schedule like that. I'm guessing that we'll start with Sturridge, Coutinho and Moses with Suarez on the subs bench.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:32 pm »
Do you think Suarez will start, given that he will have played his qualification game for Uruguay only a little more than 48 hours earlier combined with a long haul flight trip back to the UK? I don't think even Suarez is a good enough athlete to put in a high-intensity 90 minute performance in a derby game after a schedule like that. I'm guessing that we'll start with Sturridge, Coutinho and Moses with Suarez on the subs bench.

There's no reason for him not to start. Whether he plays the full game is a different matter. But I reckon he'll start.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2013, 11:14:02 pm »
I don't know about anyone else, but at some point during the season, I'd like to see Moses in a ST role, be it as a 'lone' striker or as part of a 2 ST set-up. Preferably voluntarily so, I mean (not because we have to).
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2013, 12:47:44 am »
If I was predicting now, I'd say Everton will finish the game with 56/57% of the ball, but we win the match.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2013, 12:57:51 am »
If I was predicting now, I'd say Everton will finish the game with 56/57% of the ball, but we win the match.

That's interesting. Do you think it'll be because they are better at the possession than us, or because we sit off and let them have the ball? I think you might be right, though. More of a counter-attacking game from us?

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2013, 01:11:33 am »
That's interesting. Do you think it'll be because they are better at the possession than us, or because we sit off and let them have the ball? I think you might be right, though. More of a counter-attacking game from us?
Yeah, I think Rodgers will be quite happy for them to have the ball, and for Lucas and Gerrard to sit compact, get the ball as quickly as possible to Coutinho, and play from there. I imagine Baines and Coleman will be pushing forward to support Mirallas and Pienaar (?), so it would make sense to get Coutinho into that little pockets of space - and also Sturridge and Suarez pulling into the channels.

Question for you POP: if you believe that we'll remain with a back four, I would imagine Agger and Skrtel will keep their place. This worries me re: Lukaku. Personally I'd rather Kolo, or better still Sakho to deal with him. What do you think he'll do?
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2013, 02:18:08 am »
Question for you POP: if you believe that we'll remain with a back four, I would imagine Agger and Skrtel will keep their place. This worries me re: Lukaku. Personally I'd rather Kolo, or better still Sakho to deal with him. What do you think he'll do?
If it's a 1v1 contest, the obvious choice is Sakho. I don't mind us playing a smash & grab game as long as we're clinical in front of goal. That's why Hendo has been so important because he puts pressure on the opposition in their half. The mistake by Fulham which led to Suarez's second goal is a good example of that.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2013, 10:24:01 am »
I think the way we're playing means formations are far more fluid than than they used to be and we move through several formations in a game. The formation we 'seem' to be using is based on the perceptions of the players starting. 3 central defenders with 2 full backs is a back five, but push those full backs forward far enough and it becomes a back 3.
I also feel that we change our formation based on player availability rather than something being perceived to be wrong in the previous game. The difference in strengths and weaknesses of our opponents every week is likely to change the preferred setup of the team.

If we're going to be happy to sit back and hit on the counter against Everton, we'd better makes sure they've got no long shot specialists to embarrass us!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2013, 11:19:15 am »
Been thinking about the CB pairing too. They really struggled last season when up against a big , strong targetman. With Kolo and Sakho it has improved. Remains to be seen what Rodgers does.
Justice for the 96

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2013, 11:57:28 am »
I think he will stick with Agger & Skrtel

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2013, 01:11:03 pm »
I think if we play a back 4 we won't look to counter. We'll try to dominate possession. I hope we basically play the same team (Enrique if fit).
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2013, 01:21:29 pm »
Sakho is probably the only player who can physically match up to Lukaku. I think he'll play, hopefully with Agger.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2013, 02:24:43 pm »
this has thread has become a pre derby one :D

Was just pondering this while on the way to work today.

Will Rodgers revert to a back 3 at Goodison park.  With the formation being:-

mignolet

Toure       agger/skrtl         sakho   

Johnson                                                                 enrique

gerrard        lucas      coutinho

suarez                  sturridge

Maybe the 5-3-2 is the "default" formation away from home for tough opponents.  The problem with that formation is that we lose Henderson energy and that is tough on him being on form and all that.

Who would be sitting on the bench if we go back to 5-3-2? Gerrard is our captain and just provided 3 assist in our last game. Lucas is our best anchor midfielder. Coutinho pulls the strings in our attack. Henderson provides the energy to press. Rodgers have to figure out who to bench.

Or stick to the 4-4-2 that beat Fulham.  The issue with 4-4-2 is maybe we lose some of the defensive solidarity of another Centre back but gain another midfield/attacking player to press Everton's midfield.

Maybe another reason we played 4 at the back was maybe that Rodgers didn't actually rate Fulham to cause us much trouble and also it was a home game so he expected Fulham to sit back.  It was and abject performance by Fulham but maybe it was because of our high pressing with Henderson and Coutinho pulling the strings not giving Fulham any sniff of the ball.

All i can see that its going to be a slow weekend without any Liverpool action but the good part is we will still be 2nd by Monday! ;D

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it was really interesting. If you look at the table at the bottom, we're second in the league at taking shots from good locations (e.g. center of the box). This is in contrast to our general shot numbers, which are fairly mediocre. Whereas in the past, we've often been near the top of shots tables, but had low conversion rates, this year we're taking fewer, but much better shots, and converting at a much higher rate. (Actually, this is very similar to the way Ferguson's United teams played the last couple years.) I also just posted stats in Suarez' thread that show he is personally taking much fewer shots from crazy locations, and generally being more efficient in front of goal. Do people think this is the result of a conscious change in how we play, or simply a by-product of having two strikers in great form?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2013, 04:19:43 pm »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it was really interesting. If you look at the table at the bottom, we're second in the league at taking shots from good locations (e.g. center of the box). This is in contrast to our general shot numbers, which are fairly mediocre. Whereas in the past, we've often been near the top of shots tables, but had low conversion rates, this year we're taking fewer, but much better shots, and converting at a much higher rate. (Actually, this is very similar to the way Ferguson's United teams played the last couple years.) I also just posted stats in Suarez' thread that show he is personally taking much fewer shots from crazy locations, and generally being more efficient in front of goal. Do people think this is the result of a conscious change in how we play, or simply a by-product of having two strikers in great form?

No, no, you're doing it wrong.

Shots from outside the box are terrible things which we should be desperately trying to eliminate because they'll cost us so many games over a 38 game season, etc.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2013, 04:21:02 pm »
No, no, you're doing it wrong.

Shots from outside the box are terrible things which we should be desperately trying to eliminate because they'll cost us so many games over a 38 game season, etc.
? I didn't say anything about shots outside of the box?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2013, 04:23:40 pm »
? I didn't say anything about shots outside of the box?

I was being sarcastic :)

I love that type of data that you put up in that article. But it goes against the common perceptions of what the game actually is, so a lot of people won't buy into the point you made :)