Author Topic: True Detective - HBO Drama  (Read 158237 times)

Online Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: True Detective - HBO Drama with Woody Harrelson and McConaughey (2014)
« Reply #160 on: February 6, 2014, 05:20:32 pm »
One of my favorite films ever is "Angel Heart," which is also largely set in Louisiana and has that same atmosphere of voodoo and foreboding.
Have you seen 'In the Electric Mist', with Tommy Lee Jones? Also Louisiana-set, featuring the typical atmosphere :) Was wondering: would going there on a trip ruin the magic? Cause I kinda had that with New York...
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #161 on: February 6, 2014, 05:44:56 pm »
Have you seen 'In the Electric Mist', with Tommy Lee Jones? Also Louisiana-set, featuring the typical atmosphere :) Was wondering: would going there on a trip ruin the magic? Cause I kinda had that with New York...

I will definitely check out that one ;) I've only passed through Louisiana and didn't stop in New Orleans, so this is just a feeling on my part, but I imagine that it might actually ruin the magic, as you say. I've had friends who went and were a bit disappointed, but as is always the way with these things, it really depends on your individual tastes, the circumstances of the days when you are there, and your expectations. I can't honestly think of a reason to go to Louisiana outside of New Orleans - it is really a poor area of the country and there isn't much to see, as far as I know. I fucking hate snakes too, so it scares me. For what it's worth, I too kinda had that with New York, whereas Paris was exactly what I hoped and expected it to be (although more expensive than I ever imagined)   ;D
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 6, 2014, 06:06:28 pm »
Can Sunday just fucking hurry up...
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 6, 2014, 07:28:43 pm »
I like rust, what he says I find myself relating to and agreeing with... Not sure what that says about me to be honest haha
haha...thought it was just me!  ;D
Relatable including to the episode 3 monologue? Because I found him more or less relatable until that point. Then I found my empathy turned to sympathy.
I think that is the point, their is a monster inside all of us. *Don't think it is him, too obvious.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #165 on: February 6, 2014, 07:34:38 pm »
I think that is the point, their is a monster inside all of us. *Don't think it is him, too obvious.

You're right. I've seen a fair bit of theorising on Tumblr about Rust Cohle potentially being the bad-guy in the present day storyline but I don't think that's going to be the case.

The writer/show-runner said this actually in that first interview I posted...

"I’ve enjoyed reading people theorize about what’s going to happen because it’s a sign that you’re connecting. But I’m also sort of surprised by how far afield they’re getting. Like, why do you think we’re tricking you? It’s because you’ve been abused as an audience for more than 20 years. The show’s not trying to outsmart you. And really if you pay attention… if someone watches the first episode and really listens, it tells you 85 percent of the story of the first six episodes."

I found this interesting too - looks like the next couple of episodes are going to be a bit more action packed.

"Episode four is the beginning of Act Two. Suddenly, the rhythm of the entire show changes. The slow part is over now. The first three episodes move at a very deliberate, almost funereal cadence, like you’re marching toward something. And what you’re marching toward is that final image in episode three.
Then in episodes four, five, and six, the rhythm is much more varied. They’re like children. I love them all for different reasons. But five for me is like the most special of the children. Then seven and eight are the third act—and the less said about that, the better."
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: February 6, 2014, 07:47:59 pm »
You're right. I've seen a fair bit of theorising on Tumblr about Rust Cohle potentially being the bad-guy in the present day storyline but I don't think that's going to be the case.

The writer/show-runner said this actually in that first interview I posted...

"I’ve enjoyed reading people theorize about what’s going to happen because it’s a sign that you’re connecting. But I’m also sort of surprised by how far afield they’re getting. Like, why do you think we’re tricking you? It’s because you’ve been abused as an audience for more than 20 years. The show’s not trying to outsmart you. And really if you pay attention… if someone watches the first episode and really listens, it tells you 85 percent of the story of the first six episodes."

I found this interesting too - looks like the next couple of episodes are going to be a bit more action packed.

"Episode four is the beginning of Act Two. Suddenly, the rhythm of the entire show changes. The slow part is over now. The first three episodes move at a very deliberate, almost funereal cadence, like you’re marching toward something. And what you’re marching toward is that final image in episode three.
Then in episodes four, five, and six, the rhythm is much more varied. They’re like children. I love them all for different reasons. But five for me is like the most special of the children. Then seven and eight are the third act—and the less said about that, the better."

Cheers for that, I read one of the three articles you posted, but too lazy to look up more. Going to go back and watch episode one more carefully...:)

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #167 on: February 7, 2014, 04:01:02 am »
Just binged the first three episodes, I think I'm in love with the show.

I've also just started Musketeers and that show's main flaw (amongst other things) is its directing, but this one nails it out of the park direction-wise every ep so far, with a director who hasn't been busy for several years now. Such a huge contrast.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 7, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 8, 2014, 11:11:37 pm »
http://www.avclub.com/review/true-detective-the-locked-room-200946

On the last episode.
AV Club does the best TV-analyses imo. Their pieces on The Sopranos are always worth a read.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #171 on: February 9, 2014, 01:54:12 pm »
Watched all 3 episodes yesterday. Very engaging and gripping tv. Can't really say i've seen another series like it before. It's slow moving to the point of glacial but its still utterly fascinating tv. Like episode 2 of them is really mostly them driving around following leads, but instead of being boring is adds a lot to it. It's very odd.

End of episode 3 was fantastic.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 9, 2014, 08:21:57 pm »
Great show, really love the tempo and the atmosphere.
Can't wait for new episodes.

Somehow reminds me of Twin Peaks.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2014, 03:16:39 am »
That was well worth the wait, amazing episode. They really step it up a notch and Rust was a total badass.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2014, 10:18:00 am »
Fantastic!

Spoiler
It just goes full on Grand Theft Auto there at the end. Scorsese style.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:20:55 am by litliper »
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2014, 12:50:43 pm »
 :wellin

great tv

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:54 pm »
Entertaining shit that last episode  ;D
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2014, 02:02:52 pm »
Fucking hell! This is fucking awesome.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2014, 02:37:15 pm »
Fuck's sake that was good. Shit is getting real now.

Spoiler
That last six minutes done in one shot. Absolutely nuts.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:53:40 pm by Melbred »

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2014, 03:11:07 pm »
Fuck's sake that was good. Shit is getting real now.

Spoiler
That last six minutes done in one shot. Absolutely nuts.
[close]
This is going to beat everything isn't it? you can just tell, as long as they keep it tight and don't fuck up. The music in the hood and at the end, just brilliant. How fucking badass is Rust Cohle?

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2014, 03:19:22 pm »
This is going to beat everything isn't it? you can just tell, as long as they keep it tight and don't fuck up. The music in the hood and at the end, just brilliant. How fucking badass is Rust Cohle?

It's ground-breaking (so far at least). Can't think of another show that's had all the quality acting, writing, dialogue, cinematography and direction all tied in together.

Just brilliant.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2014, 03:48:14 pm »
http://www.avclub.com/review/true-detective-who-goes-there-201083

on the fourth episode, for those that have caught up.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2014, 03:49:12 pm »
It's ground-breaking (so far at least). Can't think of another show that's had all the quality acting, writing, dialogue, cinematography and direction all tied in together.

Just brilliant.

Totally agree - love it. That was some pitch-black nastiness the whole 4th episode. Fucking greatness.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »
One scene?! Are you fucking serious?

Unbelievable.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2014, 06:45:48 pm »
Well that just took it to another level of amazifuckingness

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2014, 07:02:41 pm »
I've watched it again and I'm sure I've seen...
Spoiler
One dodgy punch to the back of the head when Cohle drops the two gangsters on the yard  ;D
[close]

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2014, 08:40:26 pm »
Man I wish it wasn't an anthology. The dynamic between Harrelson and McConaughey is brilliant. Casting for the next season has to be perfect.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2014, 08:58:18 pm »
Damn shit just got real. I've never seen anything quite like this show before, amazing stuff.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2014, 09:00:56 pm »
Asked in Games of Throne thread - there anywhere to watch this on tv like Netflix?

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2014, 09:24:36 pm »
Asked in Games of Throne thread - there anywhere to watch this on tv like Netflix?
Don't think so. Why don't you torrent it?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:59 pm »
Don't think so. Why don't you torrent it?

Where's best to do that? Not the same watching it on laptop

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2014, 09:57:29 pm »
holy shit! that was unreal. It really builds up the tension brilliantly. then bam!

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2014, 11:10:04 pm »
That was great.  Really great

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2014, 11:18:33 pm »
Wow just watched episode 4,this show is flawless,loved the last part reminded me of children of men long one shot scene near the end in the middle of a battle.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2014, 11:25:18 pm »
That long shot. Wow.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2014, 11:30:03 pm »
Man I wish it wasn't an anthology. The dynamic between Harrelson and McConaughey is brilliant. Casting for the next season has to be perfect.

Totally. It's funny, I'm so excited for the remaining four episodes but I'm also just as excited to see what they have planned for next season. But then on the other hand I'll be a little bad sad when this season comes to an end - Rust Cohle and Marty Hart will be no more, though there is always a possibility that Pizzolatto will write some Cohle/Hart novels  :)

It'll be interesting to see who they cast for season two. I mean, there's already quite a bit of awards buzz for Matthew McConaughey and I bet there's quite a few actors out there who have noticed that, and are attracted by the prospect of getting to perform Nic Pizzolatto's writing.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:33:35 pm by Dan Dando »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2014, 11:49:33 pm »
Great episode, really got it moving!

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2014, 12:48:25 am »
I'm the only one that didn't rate it then? All felt a bit forced to me, preferred it when it was more subtle
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski