Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 185482 times)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #840 on: April 20, 2017, 01:56:35 pm »
That was actually two real life shots merged together, so good eye!
Witchcraft! Where did you read that?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #841 on: April 20, 2017, 01:59:40 pm »
Witchcraft! Where did you read that?
Gilligan talked about it in the Better Call Saul Insider podcast (which I highly recommend, comes out the day after each new episode)
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #842 on: April 20, 2017, 09:22:55 pm »
Gilligan talked about it in the Better Call Saul Insider podcast (which I highly recommend, comes out the day after each new episode)

Going to get onto that again. The technical stuff on there is amazing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: April 20, 2017, 09:32:27 pm »
Going to get onto that again. The technical stuff on there is amazing.

Yeah, some tremendous insight in it. It can get a bit lovey at times, but still very much worth it.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: April 26, 2017, 04:17:31 pm »
Not much, in fact no S03E03 gossip in here almost 48 hrs after it aired!!

Got the house to myself tonight so i'm catching up later. :)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: April 26, 2017, 04:57:34 pm »

Watched it this morning. No time to digest and post.

*edit - Den of Geek review of episode 3:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/better-call-saul/48966/better-call-saul-season-3-episode-3-review-sunk-costs
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:05:48 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: April 26, 2017, 05:14:52 pm »

I find that it's not a show that really creates dialogue like that. It's excellent and well made and whatnot but when I watch it I soak it all up and enjoy it and that's the end of it.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: April 26, 2017, 06:35:33 pm »
I love this show

Spoiler
Mike's plan was great and the beginning of the ep with the Los Pollos Hermanos truck driving past and the shoes falling down show Gus has eliminated his competition (didn't figure that out myself)

Also, we've gotten to the stage where Jimmy doesn't give a shit about Chuck's well-being anymore (seemingly).

[close]
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #848 on: April 26, 2017, 06:58:11 pm »
Fuck Chuck.

In non-spoilery stuff, look at this show. Gilligan and co couldn't shoot a bad scene even if they tried.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #849 on: April 26, 2017, 10:31:14 pm »
I really liked the first two seasons, but this new one is waaaaaaayyy too slow for me. Way too slow.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: April 26, 2017, 11:42:20 pm »
Fuck it I've decided

From now on I'm answering my phone at work in the style of Mike.

Yeahhhhhhhhh?

Question and episode 3 spoiler. any reason why...

Spoiler
Mike went through all the pain of the setup with the sneakers filled with drugs when he could have just called border control and tipped them off about the truck?

I'm guessing so it didn't alert Hector to the fact that someone knew of his operation and thus making it look like a legitimate lucky bust for the customs.
[close]

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: April 27, 2017, 07:27:40 am »
Fuck it I've decided

From now on I'm answering my phone at work in the style of Mike.

Yeahhhhhhhhh?

Question and episode 3 spoiler. any reason why...

Spoiler
Mike went through all the pain of the setup with the sneakers filled with drugs when he could have just called border control and tipped them off about the truck?

I'm guessing so it didn't alert Hector to the fact that someone knew of his operation and thus making it look like a legitimate lucky bust for the customs.
[close]

Spoiler
It's exactly that. Mike feels guilty that the last time he attacked Hector's truck a 'civilian' was killed. That was the point of the discussion between Gus and Mike. If he calls the border control then Hector would start looking for a mole in his operation, probably torturing and killing people in the process. The idea is to make it look like carelessness.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: April 27, 2017, 09:08:58 am »
Cheers for the clarification Al :)

Another superb episode. 

Slow it is but i can handle this type of slow. It really is a joy to watch.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: April 27, 2017, 01:07:54 pm »
Cheers for the clarification Al :)

Another superb episode. 

Slow it is but i can handle this type of slow. It really is a joy to watch.

The 'slow' thing is because they are doing so much with visuals. They celebrate film making and things like the use of pace, sound, shot selection and lighting in ways that other shows miss. It's beautifully cinematic.

You should definitely listen to the insider podcast if you don't already. It doesn't blow the mystery it adds to it for me. From the last episode:

Spoiler
The bench scene - a work of genius that was shot as a 'oner' (one shot without cuts) even though they cut it in the edit. The deputy DA is brilliant and you know exactly what kind of a person he  is (we've met him before) from the way he sits, the way he opens his briefcase and gets out the two bags of chips and his paperwork. The whole exchange over the burger - we know Jimmy's bought it to give to him and he knows he's going to get it - is beautifully played.

The scene where Jimmy gives Kim a long explanation of why he did what he did and how he didn't want to get her involved in the case and that it was his mistake and he needs to fix it. Her reply was just 'okay'.

Oh and when they're standing smoking in front of the glass block wall...
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: April 27, 2017, 01:54:33 pm »
Fuck Chuck.

In non-spoilery stuff, look at this show. Gilligan and co couldn't shoot a bad scene even if they tried.

Same director did the one last season with Chuck's wife and Kim with the Post-It notes. What an eye he has.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #855 on: April 27, 2017, 02:06:28 pm »
The 'slow' thing is because they are doing so much with visuals. They celebrate film making and things like the use of pace, sound, shot selection and lighting in ways that other shows miss. It's beautifully cinematic.

You should definitely listen to the insider podcast if you don't already. It doesn't blow the mystery it adds to it for me. From the last episode:

Spoiler
The bench scene - a work of genius that was shot as a 'oner' (one shot without cuts) even though they cut it in the edit. The deputy DA is brilliant and you know exactly what kind of a person he  is (we've met him before) from the way he sits, the way he opens his briefcase and gets out the two bags of chips and his paperwork. The whole exchange over the burger - we know Jimmy's bought it to give to him and he knows he's going to get it - is beautifully played.

The scene where Jimmy gives Kim a long explanation of why he did what he did and how he didn't want to get her involved in the case and that it was his mistake and he needs to fix it. Her reply was just 'okay'.

Oh and when they're standing smoking in front of the glass block wall...
[close]
The bench scene was the best in the episode, imo.  Great acting and subtle humour - something I think this series has lack so far. (the humour, that is).

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: April 27, 2017, 03:36:30 pm »
The bench scene was the best in the episode, imo.  Great acting and subtle humour - something I think this series has lack so far. (the humour, that is).

Gilligan did warn us this season was going to be darker than the others.

Fine by me :)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: May 2, 2017, 06:29:32 pm »
Really cool episode again this week.

Spoiler
Loved the scenes with Don Eladio, Hector and Bolsa.

The scene with all 3 around the swimming pool at the Villa was great. Edge of seat stuff even though no guns in sight and nobody raises a hand in anger. The power of words.

Hector in Gus's shop was equally as intimidating

Also, WTF have Kim and Jimmy got that they are gonna throw at Chuck?
[close]

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #858 on: May 2, 2017, 07:33:42 pm »

Spoiler

The scene with all 3 around the swimming pool at the Villa was great. Edge of seat stuff even though no guns in sight and nobody raises a hand in anger. The power of words.

[close]

Quoting a spoiler seems sort of weirdly contradictory,  :wave

...but the last bit of Buck Pete's comment is a key concern for next week...

Den of Geek's guess...

Spoiler
My guess is that the pictures of Chuck’s living conditions could be used in their meeting with the New Mexico Bar to paint Chuck as an unreliable witness and that the address belongs to Chuck’s ex-wife, someone who could testify against his character.
[close]

... seems reasonable enough for me.

We all seem to assume that Chuck will die.

I have a very bad feeling that Kim will as well... :(

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: May 3, 2017, 11:43:08 am »

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
I assumed she was wearing a wire when she got Chuck to confess about knowing Jimmy would come round and that there was a duplicate tape.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 3, 2017, 04:55:02 pm by owens_2k »

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #860 on: May 3, 2017, 11:55:37 am »
Great episode.

Loved the opening scene with Don Eladio.

I can't stand Hector. >:(
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: May 3, 2017, 12:17:40 pm »
Another great episode. So many good moments.

Spoiler
Mike reading Handyman magazine in his booth, Mike with the drill when Chuck was about to come back in, the whole of the cold open knowing what happens in BB, Gus being Gus, Hector being Hector, Gus and Hector, Mike and Chuck, the cinematography, the lighting, the music...
[close]

Looking back from where we are now it's hard to recall the doubts about what a Breaking Bad spin off about the comedy lawyer might look like.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: May 3, 2017, 12:54:20 pm »
Quoting a spoiler seems sort of weirdly contradictory,  :wave

...but the last bit of Buck Pete's comment is a key concern for next week...

Den of Geek's guess...

Spoiler
My guess is that the pictures of Chuck’s living conditions could be used in their meeting with the New Mexico Bar to paint Chuck as an unreliable witness and that the address belongs to Chuck’s ex-wife, someone who could testify against his character.
[close]

... seems reasonable enough for me.

We all seem to assume that Chuck will die.

I have a very bad feeling that Kim will as well... :(
My guess is..

Spoiler
They seemed to be going in heavy on the tape recorder being destroyed, is chuck exagerating the damage?
[close]

Arvi from ray donovan played a blinder
cyas

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: May 3, 2017, 01:15:53 pm »
My guess is..

Spoiler
They seemed to be going in heavy on the tape recorder being destroyed, is chuck exagerating the damage?
[close]

Arvi from ray donovan played a blinder

I think:
Spoiler
entrapment - I'm going to go back and watch because there was some discussion about the specific wording of the confession between Kim and Jimmy.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #864 on: May 3, 2017, 01:32:50 pm »
Spoiler
I'm unsure of Jimmy/Mike's plan re Chuck's house.  Was Mike just there to take photos, or is he planning on planting something? (a bug? An EM-device or some sort?). Because if he's just taking photos of Chuck's tinfoil wrapping and stuff, well doesn't everyone at the Bar Association know of Chuck's condition, so it's difficult to spring the 'Ah-ha! He's a crazy kook!' stuff at the disciplinary meeting.
[close]

I think:
Spoiler
entrapment - I'm going to go back and watch because there was some discussion about the specific wording of the confession between Kim and Jimmy.
[close]

Spoiler
Possibly. The existence of a second tape implies that 'destroyed' evidence is a stretch too far for Chuck - the evidence is there, just on another, undamaged, tape. 
And I assume the difference in damages between the original offer and the revised one is due to Chuck charging Jimmy for the 2nd cassette.  Petty asshole that he is.
[close]
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: May 3, 2017, 03:25:38 pm »
Is there a crap character in this show? Really is there?

Yeah Hector and Chuck are despicable, unlikable people but they are still fantastic characters.

Den of Geeks review is great this week and I agree with them when they say the biggest fall of grace and most concerning fate awaiting a single character is that of Kim.

Its all  good fun and pure guess work though.even from DoG.

Also and as Al mentions above in his spoiler. Mike and the Magazine was too funny :)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: May 3, 2017, 04:29:59 pm »
Is there a crap character in this show? Really is there?

Spoiler
The assistant manager at Los Pollos. Call the police you twat!
[close]

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: May 3, 2017, 04:37:53 pm »
This post contains spoilers for Breaking Bad as well as Better Call Saul, so tread carefully if you haven’t watched it yet!

Spoiler
My love for this show grows more with each passing week. This prompted me to begin rewatching Breaking Bad over the weekend, and while I’m only up to the fifth episode of the second season it seems to me that Better Call Saul might very well trump it for interesting, thought-provoking and just downright beautiful cinematography. I could be wrong, and as I work my way through the five seasons of Breaking Bad I may well notice a similar trend, but I think there’s been a very definite development in the intervening period in Vince Gilligan’s approach towards that aspect of his filmmaking, to the extent that virtually every shot he conceives and executes in his new show seems to function as a genuine talking picture. I’m very aware that what I’m watching is art, and art that needs very little in the way of cheap frills to embellish it.

I’m fully convinced that they are little aspects of the story that I would have missed had scenes not been framed in a very specific way cinematically. Watching it last night, for example, I was struck by how similar Gus and Mike are. No wonder one ends up working for the other, I thought to myself as the shot widened to show the two standing across from each other in the deserted parking lot (as well as how big Gus’ feet looked – was he wearing clown shoes or what?) One is a wealthy distributor of narcotics who nonetheless drives around in what appears to be an old Volvo and spends his days working up a sweat at a fast food restaurant; the other could probably retire in a few months on the kind of money he could command in a certain line of work that’s available to him, but chooses instead to sit in a little booth doing crossword puzzles all day and in this episode refuses a massive wedge of cash on principle.

No doubt they each have their own reasons for living how they do, certainly one of them is virtually compelled to live well within his means lest he attract unwanted attention, yet when Gus smiles and asks Mike to come and work for him it seems a lot more fundamental than that. These two men share something in common, namely humility. Later on in the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe, Gus will hire Walter White based solely on his flair for producing quality narcotics, but the fit is bad from the start and the relationship is doomed to failure. The personalities involved are simply too different, Walt too keenly aware of his own worth, I dare say too arrogant. Whatever else you can say about Gus Fring you could never accuse him of arrogance or flamboyance, anymore than you could Mike. The fit seems perfect and it’s easy to see why Mike, once he eventually agrees, remains a loyal associate right up until Gus’ eventual death.

By the way, this train of thought was prompted by a mere two-minute scene (crowned by Gus’ killer line that a bullet in the head would be too humane for Hector Salamanca). Leaving aside comparisons between the respective cinematic qualities of both shows, it’s clear that Gilligan’s ability to create and develop compelling characters is undimmed. Roughly the first half of this latest episode contained not a single trace of Jimmy, Kim or Chuck, and I loved every second of it. The way he’s built, and continues to build, on the existing Breaking Bad universe, expertly weaving the strands of both together, has been extraordinary. I confess to currently being downright giddy at the prospect of seeing how Hector ends up in that wheelchair, surely a scene that became locked-in for this season once Tuco’s uncle started flicking shit from his shoe onto Gus’ desk. As Alan mentioned earlier, if there were concerns that this show would be a mere spin-off, a diluted version of something vastly superior, surely they’ve now been expelled.

It isn’t just about Breaking Bad alumni, of course. I realised last night that with the main storyline threading the season, namely Chuck’s attempts to have Jimmy disbarred and the disintegrating relationship between the two brothers, now set towards its inevitable conclusion (whatever that may be – I could have done with an extra two hours in last night’s episode, to be honest), the character I’m now most rooting for to come out of it with a win is Kim. This became clear to me when she stood facing Howard and Chuck after Jimmy’s hearing and I suddenly felt the unmistakeable urge to chin Howard on her behalf.

Kim, I have to say, was a slow-burner for me from day one. There’s not a whole lot of backstory there in terms of history or family, no sudden deviations (and attendant character development) caused by traumatic life events like a son being killed by crooked cops (Mike), a partner and best friend being murdered by the Mexican cartel (Gus), or contracting lung cancer (Walt), no major screen time devoted solely to Kim herself beyond, perhaps, her efforts to secure Mesa Verde as a client in season 2 which was primarily driven by a desire to get out of Howard’s bad books. Her character exists mainly in terms of Jimmy, and yet that’s fine because her warmth and humanity towards this most flawed of individuals speaks volumes for her. She’s loyal, kind and thoroughly decent, and in the tradition of the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe, this means that she’ll probably meet a thoroughly depressing end.

Nonetheless in terms of this particular storyline, one that seems to be setting the scene for the final and total fracture of Jimmy and Chuck’s relationship, Kim seems to be the only one capable of emerging from the wreckage with anything of worth. It seems clear now that, regardless of whether Jimmy retains some vestiges of a fraternal bond with Chuck, it’s not going to end well. Either he continues along as before in a toxic relationship with a brother who has little or no respect for him, or he loses the last connection he has with his family. The same is true for Chuck – lose his last remaining family member, a brother who for all his faults has taken care of him with patience for what appears to be a number of years, or remain stuck with someone with a criminal past who, as far as he’s concerned, disgraces his profession.

But Kim sticking it directly to HHM and Howard (the man who banished her to the document research room with the interns out of some perceived personal slight) in a courtroom? What’s not to like?
[close]
« Last Edit: May 3, 2017, 04:43:45 pm by E2K »
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: May 3, 2017, 07:49:59 pm »
This post contains spoilers for Breaking Bad as well as Better Call Saul, so tread carefully if you haven’t watched it yet!

Spoiler
My love for this show grows more with each passing week. This prompted me to begin rewatching Breaking Bad over the weekend, and while I’m only up to the fifth episode of the second season it seems to me that Better Call Saul might very well trump it for interesting, thought-provoking and just downright beautiful cinematography. I could be wrong, and as I work my way through the five seasons of Breaking Bad I may well notice a similar trend, but I think there’s been a very definite development in the intervening period in Vince Gilligan’s approach towards that aspect of his filmmaking, to the extent that virtually every shot he conceives and executes in his new show seems to function as a genuine talking picture. I’m very aware that what I’m watching is art, and art that needs very little in the way of cheap frills to embellish it.

I’m fully convinced that they are little aspects of the story that I would have missed had scenes not been framed in a very specific way cinematically. Watching it last night, for example, I was struck by how similar Gus and Mike are. No wonder one ends up working for the other, I thought to myself as the shot widened to show the two standing across from each other in the deserted parking lot (as well as how big Gus’ feet looked – was he wearing clown shoes or what?) One is a wealthy distributor of narcotics who nonetheless drives around in what appears to be an old Volvo and spends his days working up a sweat at a fast food restaurant; the other could probably retire in a few months on the kind of money he could command in a certain line of work that’s available to him, but chooses instead to sit in a little booth doing crossword puzzles all day and in this episode refuses a massive wedge of cash on principle.

No doubt they each have their own reasons for living how they do, certainly one of them is virtually compelled to live well within his means lest he attract unwanted attention, yet when Gus smiles and asks Mike to come and work for him it seems a lot more fundamental than that. These two men share something in common, namely humility. Later on in the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe, Gus will hire Walter White based solely on his flair for producing quality narcotics, but the fit is bad from the start and the relationship is doomed to failure. The personalities involved are simply too different, Walt too keenly aware of his own worth, I dare say too arrogant. Whatever else you can say about Gus Fring you could never accuse him of arrogance or flamboyance, anymore than you could Mike. The fit seems perfect and it’s easy to see why Mike, once he eventually agrees, remains a loyal associate right up until Gus’ eventual death.

By the way, this train of thought was prompted by a mere two-minute scene (crowned by Gus’ killer line that a bullet in the head would be too humane for Hector Salamanca). Leaving aside comparisons between the respective cinematic qualities of both shows, it’s clear that Gilligan’s ability to create and develop compelling characters is undimmed. Roughly the first half of this latest episode contained not a single trace of Jimmy, Kim or Chuck, and I loved every second of it. The way he’s built, and continues to build, on the existing Breaking Bad universe, expertly weaving the strands of both together, has been extraordinary. I confess to currently being downright giddy at the prospect of seeing how Hector ends up in that wheelchair, surely a scene that became locked-in for this season once Tuco’s uncle started flicking shit from his shoe onto Gus’ desk. As Alan mentioned earlier, if there were concerns that this show would be a mere spin-off, a diluted version of something vastly superior, surely they’ve now been expelled.

It isn’t just about Breaking Bad alumni, of course. I realised last night that with the main storyline threading the season, namely Chuck’s attempts to have Jimmy disbarred and the disintegrating relationship between the two brothers, now set towards its inevitable conclusion (whatever that may be – I could have done with an extra two hours in last night’s episode, to be honest), the character I’m now most rooting for to come out of it with a win is Kim. This became clear to me when she stood facing Howard and Chuck after Jimmy’s hearing and I suddenly felt the unmistakeable urge to chin Howard on her behalf.

Kim, I have to say, was a slow-burner for me from day one. There’s not a whole lot of backstory there in terms of history or family, no sudden deviations (and attendant character development) caused by traumatic life events like a son being killed by crooked cops (Mike), a partner and best friend being murdered by the Mexican cartel (Gus), or contracting lung cancer (Walt), no major screen time devoted solely to Kim herself beyond, perhaps, her efforts to secure Mesa Verde as a client in season 2 which was primarily driven by a desire to get out of Howard’s bad books. Her character exists mainly in terms of Jimmy, and yet that’s fine because her warmth and humanity towards this most flawed of individuals speaks volumes for her. She’s loyal, kind and thoroughly decent, and in the tradition of the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe, this means that she’ll probably meet a thoroughly depressing end.

Nonetheless in terms of this particular storyline, one that seems to be setting the scene for the final and total fracture of Jimmy and Chuck’s relationship, Kim seems to be the only one capable of emerging from the wreckage with anything of worth. It seems clear now that, regardless of whether Jimmy retains some vestiges of a fraternal bond with Chuck, it’s not going to end well. Either he continues along as before in a toxic relationship with a brother who has little or no respect for him, or he loses the last connection he has with his family. The same is true for Chuck – lose his last remaining family member, a brother who for all his faults has taken care of him with patience for what appears to be a number of years, or remain stuck with someone with a criminal past who, as far as he’s concerned, disgraces his profession.

But Kim sticking it directly to HHM and Howard (the man who banished her to the document research room with the interns out of some perceived personal slight) in a courtroom? What’s not to like?
[close]
Regarding the art aspect, you might be interested in this weeks insider podcast, as they have the DoP for this season on as a guest.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #869 on: May 3, 2017, 11:49:56 pm »
I think:
Spoiler
[close]

That can only be done by the government, not by individuals!

Although they do bend the representation of law when they want, eg. The dollar retainer thing is pretty far removed from reality but the show seems to play it straight.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2017, 11:51:29 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: May 3, 2017, 11:57:12 pm »
Just realised Don Eladio is played by the same actor who played Manny (Pacino's best mate) in Scarface.

Away from the main players, Don Eladio is my favourite character at the moment.

The scenes he is in (BrBa and BCS) are so bloody good.

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #871 on: May 6, 2017, 04:28:37 am »
Brilliant episode. After the first two series being (very watchable) slow burners , this is really starting to catch fire.

The cinematography is superb for a TV series.
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #872 on: May 7, 2017, 06:44:56 pm »
episode 4 was a total corker...stylistically and thematically as close to an episode of Breaking Bad as it's come...but still rooted in its own intriguing, knife-edge reality .......I emitted a loud, frustrated 'fucking hell' when the end credits flashed up...like all good things this show is over too soon...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: May 8, 2017, 01:09:24 pm »
episode 4 was a total corker...stylistically and thematically as close to an episode of Breaking Bad as it's come...but still rooted in its own intriguing, knife-edge reality .......I emitted a loud, frustrated 'fucking hell' when the end credits flashed up...like all good things this show is over too soon...
Really? Slow episode for me.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #874 on: May 8, 2017, 01:51:22 pm »
Chuck  >:(

Most lawful loathsome character

★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: May 8, 2017, 03:40:49 pm »

Every episode is slow

But slow is SO fucking good as far as BCS is concerned. :)

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: May 8, 2017, 04:43:23 pm »
Every episode is slow

But slow is SO fucking good as far as BCS is concerned. :)
When is 5 out? Today?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #877 on: May 8, 2017, 06:24:17 pm »

yep...loved it...best one of this series for me
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #878 on: May 8, 2017, 07:37:46 pm »
yep...loved it...best one of this series for me

same here. The amount of work and details put in this show is breathtaking. Seriously, Vince Gilligan and everyone involved in this deserve huge credit.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: May 9, 2017, 05:28:14 am »
You knew this episode was coming, you probably knew how it would end too.

But fucking hell. See some people that don't like Chuck on here but if you didn't feel even slightly sympathetic for him you're heartless.

Billions last night and BCS tonight is a hell of a one-two punch
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.