Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 330298 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU
« Reply #3120 on: March 26, 2017, 02:35:26 am »
Tetchy!

It won't be the film I want but it could be okay if the action is decent enough and the story makes some sort of sense. It's definitely going to be another long, long movie though, they'll need to get through so much just to set the characters and story up.

I am one of the few who thought BvS was decent enough though so my opinion may be considered worthless.

It's hard to believe on this message board of all message boards but...No opinion is better or worse than anyone else's.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3121 on: March 26, 2017, 02:36:49 am »

Erm, you were not the first to give your blunt disdain to this crap, I was.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3122 on: March 26, 2017, 02:41:40 am »
;D

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3123 on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:53 am »
It's hard to believe on this message board of all message boards but...No opinion is better or worse than anyone else's.

I dunno man, there's people out there who think steak should be well done
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3124 on: March 26, 2017, 06:47:45 am »

Touche!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #3125 on: March 26, 2017, 10:34:35 am »
"People"

It won't be the film I want but it could be okay if the action is decent enough and the story makes some sort of sense. It's definitely going to be another long, long movie though, they'll need to get through so much just to set the characters and story up.
Not having a go at you for being totally cool with that like, but I really think more than this has to be demanded from these properties now. I'm not massively into these comics (was always more of a 2000AD, Beano lad myself), but I know from the standout works I have read that they often aim for more than just 'okay colourful action romps'. With non-superhero films too, while there have always been fun popcorn nonsense, the really megabudget ones have often tried to do something quite a bit different, strike out on their own with at least some intriguing ideas in there. The graphic novel format is such a marvellously immediate way to tell literally any sort of story, you shouldn't need to settle for the same lowest-common-denominator throwaway crap time and time again, whether in print or when that comicbook aesthetic/language is translated to the screen.

I'm one of the supposedly few who was never into The Avengers, even when it was being hailed, so you can imagine how interested I am in a patently less-good Avengers attempt with DC characters. Batman as a character is better than this.

Even if it's all knowingly, winkingly daft, bright and camp rather than trying to pretend to be something to still be taken seriously, that gets pretty tiresome after a spell too. As far as I'm concerned, Guardians of the Galaxy cornered the market with that thing, with far more irreverent charm than any other effort from anyone, so DC frankly should not feel obliged to emulate that sort of funny vibe with its best characters (because they can't).
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3126 on: March 26, 2017, 10:39:01 am »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3127 on: March 26, 2017, 12:29:51 pm »
Can't say much from the trailer, which is perhaps a good thing, less hype and pressure. Momoa looks promising, not much to complain about the nice thigh shots of the Wonder Woman hehe.

Amy Adams looking up at the sky....

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3128 on: March 26, 2017, 02:55:42 pm »
Can't say much from the trailer, which is perhaps a good thing, less hype and pressure. Momoa looks promising, not much to complain about the nice thigh shots of the Wonder Woman hehe.

Amy Adams looking up at the sky....

It's a bird

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3129 on: March 26, 2017, 03:20:34 pm »
"People"

Not having a go at you for being totally cool with that like, but I really think more than this has to be demanded from these properties now. I'm not massively into these comics (was always more of a 2000AD, Beano lad myself), but I know from the standout works I have read that they often aim for more than just 'okay colourful action romps'. With non-superhero films too, while there have always been fun popcorn nonsense, the really megabudget ones have often tried to do something quite a bit different, strike out on their own with at least some intriguing ideas in there. The graphic novel format is such a marvellously immediate way to tell literally any sort of story, you shouldn't need to settle for the same lowest-common-denominator throwaway crap time and time again, whether in print or when that comicbook aesthetic/language is translated to the screen.

I'm one of the supposedly few who was never into The Avengers, even when it was being hailed, so you can imagine how interested I am in a patently less-good Avengers attempt with DC characters. Batman as a character is better than this.

Even if it's all knowingly, winkingly daft, bright and camp rather than trying to pretend to be something to still be taken seriously, that gets pretty tiresome after a spell too. As far as I'm concerned, Guardians of the Galaxy cornered the market with that thing, with far more irreverent charm than any other effort from anyone, so DC frankly should not feel obliged to emulate that sort of funny vibe with its best characters (because they can't).

I'm not really cool with it, like I said it's not the movie I want as there's a huge catalogue of DC stories out there that could be amazing on screen if done right. I really doubt I'll be going to watch this at the cinema and it's unlikely we'll see any top DC movies until after this run of Snyder's influence is done, so I'm just judging these movies on whether they'll be an alright download rather than whether they'll be worth a cinema trip.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #3130 on: March 26, 2017, 09:17:10 pm »
Im excited for it, waited basically my whole life for a live action JL movie. Enjoyed MoS, really liked BvS (UE) and havent got round to suicide squad yet.

I liked what I saw, a badass aquaman, hopefully a bit more humour and quips, a wonder woman that may be set up well as a story before this comes out and of couse, Batfleck.

Early doors yet, but at least they havent gave away any massive spoilers for no reason like they did the BvS doomsday trailer. Bring it on, unite the league!!  ;D
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3131 on: March 27, 2017, 12:55:30 pm »
Let me be the first to be brutally blunt about it, shall I?

It looks like total and utter bollocks, and if it isn't, I'll eat my own.

Yeh, it looks utter cack.

And you know the thing that is nailed on? As they haven't really bothered to build up any back story on the villains, I will absolutely eat my hat* if the baddies aren't "Inter-dimensional generic beast things, that come through some portal." And there will be lots of them, because the Justice League has to fight lots of them.

Avengers for the depressed.

*and I like my hat
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3132 on: March 27, 2017, 03:22:27 pm »
Yeh, it looks utter cack.

And you know the thing that is nailed on? As they haven't really bothered to build up any back story on the villains, I will absolutely eat my hat* if the baddies aren't "Inter-dimensional generic beast things, that come through some portal." And there will be lots of them, because the Justice League has to fight lots of them.

Avengers for the depressed.

*and I like my hat

Well yeah they're Parademons and they're clearly shown in the trailer. The villain is Steppenwolf who they probably won't show until the last trailer but he's a pretty big deal in the DC universe.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3133 on: March 27, 2017, 03:27:19 pm »
The villain is Steppenwolf who they probably won't show until the last trailer but he's a pretty big deal in the DC universe.

Good band. Most people only know them for 'Born To Be Wild' but they're more than a one trick pony. 'Magic Carpet ride' for example, that's a beast of a tune.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3134 on: March 27, 2017, 03:35:17 pm »
Good band. Most people only know them for 'Born To Be Wild' but they're more than a one trick pony. 'Magic Carpet ride' for example, that's a beast of a tune.

I heard Born to be Wild a bunch as a kid because my dad loved it but here in Canada all you ever hear is Magic Carpet Ride and I actually prefer it I think.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3135 on: March 27, 2017, 04:11:31 pm »
Has Steppenwolf got any wolf features? Because that'd make me want to see to be honest, been too long without a wolf villain, they used to be all the rage.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3136 on: March 27, 2017, 04:17:43 pm »
Is there a DC movie time line similar to the ones Marvel put out?  Just wondering when Darkseid will actually show up and start wrecking stuff, assume we'll get a glimpse of him at some point in the JL movie.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3137 on: March 27, 2017, 04:29:33 pm »
Is there a DC movie time line similar to the ones Marvel put out?  Just wondering when Darkseid will actually show up and start wrecking stuff, assume we'll get a glimpse of him at some point in the JL movie.

Man of Steel Part 2 ft. The Justice League Experience
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3138 on: March 27, 2017, 05:31:17 pm »
Well yeah they're Parademons and they're clearly shown in the trailer. The villain is Steppenwolf who they probably won't show until the last trailer but he's a pretty big deal in the DC universe.

Oh okay, sounds shit.

:)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3139 on: March 27, 2017, 07:00:04 pm »

Steppenwolf is his uncle so probably? But no you won't have to wait another 6 years during which time he'll have gotten owned by every hero indirectly and end up in a worse position prior to his introduction.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3140 on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:16 am »
Steppenwolf is his uncle so probably? But no you won't have to wait another 6 years during which time he'll have gotten owned by every hero indirectly and end up in a worse position prior to his introduction.

;D

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3141 on: March 28, 2017, 01:23:23 pm »

Good old Uncle Steppenwolf, bet he can be a bit embarrassing at the family parties after a few bevvies
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3142 on: March 28, 2017, 02:00:23 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OiAmnKUaNmc?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OiAmnKUaNmc?fs=1</a>

I actually think that looks really cool except the CGI on Cyborg, it's a bit... too shiny for me, would have preferred if he was wearing a suit instead of so much CGI but it might be early shorts, they can touch that up

My favourite DC hero is Aquaman and he is looking like a badass (I also happen to think Jason Momoa is class) so that's good, hope Barry Allen is a good fit too as the Speedforce etc is very interesting and hope they do him justice.

WW also looking good, not gonna knock this, will make my own mind up when it's at the cinema :)

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3143 on: March 28, 2017, 03:43:57 pm »
Good old Uncle Steppenwolf, bet he can be a bit embarrassing at the family parties after a few bevvies

Keeps blaming his failed invasion of Earth on those bloody immigrants.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3144 on: March 30, 2017, 06:22:32 pm »
Apparently Joss Whedon is almost signed on to write/produce/direct Batgirl. I'm optimistic, if nothing else it'll be a change of pace from the existing DC movies.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3145 on: March 30, 2017, 07:16:05 pm »
Apparently Joss Whedon is almost signed on to write/produce/direct Batgirl. I'm optimistic, if nothing else it'll be a change of pace from the existing DC movies.

That could be fun!

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3146 on: March 30, 2017, 07:29:58 pm »
That could be fun!

Fun?

They'll never allow it

.... dark, brooding contemplation is the ticket !

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3147 on: March 31, 2017, 04:08:24 am »
Steppenwolf? Is his superpower going to the pub all the time, being depressed and feeling sorry for himself, then dropping hallucinogens with jazz musicians?

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: April 1, 2017, 10:52:28 am »
Enjoying how mad DC have gone in the wake of the backlash from BVS and Suicide Squad.

Flash still hasnt got a director or a script, I massively doubt Cyborg ever gets made, but we've had announcements or at least strong rumours that the following are happening:

The Batman directed by Matt Reeves, after Affleck stepped down.

Both a sequel for Suicide Squad, that Mel Gibson had talks about doing, but didnt happen, and a spin off called Gotham City Sirens with Ayer back to direct.

A Deadshot spin-off

A Black Adam film, presumably in addition to the already scheduled Shazam film, with the Rock.

Nightwing

And now Joss Whedon's Batgirl.

There was also talk of Mathew Vaughn being in talks for a Man of Steel sequel, and I think that Dark Universe film that at one stage Guillermo del Toro was attatched to is still kicking around somewhere, there is also the Green Lantern Corps film in 2020. Thats just a bonkers, insane list of projects for a company that has struggled bringing its two biggest characters to screen, and I would bet a large amount of money more than half of those never get made, but they're swinging for the fences with this and I'd be happy if we even get one home run.

Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3149 on: April 2, 2017, 08:54:09 am »
I am really interested in who gets the role of Batgirl - Character and Actress both.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3150 on: April 2, 2017, 09:25:04 am »
Didn't know Affleck stepped down from directing The Batman. Can't be a good sign can it??
Football is a lie

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3151 on: April 2, 2017, 11:17:01 am »
Didn't know Affleck stepped down from directing The Batman. Can't be a good sign can it??

Think he's been in rehab so it's understandable.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3152 on: April 2, 2017, 02:45:03 pm »
Batgirl?

Aye, that's going to be another belter.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: April 2, 2017, 02:55:04 pm »
Batgirl?

Aye, that's going to be another belter.

Could be if done right, I thought the idea of a Daredevil TV show was garbage until I saw it. DC really need to stop going with these save the world movies though, what's wrong with just saving a city or putting one bad guy away?

The least exciting thing about a Batgirl movie isn't the character for me, it's the likelihood that it'd be set in the universe that Snyder presides over.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3154 on: April 2, 2017, 06:08:13 pm »
Yeah Whedon on it could be really interesting. Especially, if he sets out an origin type story with Barbara in or just out of high school. Certainly, the Batgirl series DC has put out over the last few years or so basically has Barbara Gordon channeling Buffy Summers.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #3155 on: April 3, 2017, 07:38:25 am »
A Deadshot spin-off

Is that the Will Smith character? Not surprised one bit... bet it becomes another vanity project.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3156 on: April 3, 2017, 08:29:38 am »
Is that the Will Smith character? Not surprised one bit... bet it becomes another vanity project.

I bet it never gets made, but yeah.

What I'm looking forward to is watching DC fanboys that have derided Marvel films for being humorous and light, deal with Whedon, who is essentially 80% witty one liners, helming one of their films.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3157 on: April 3, 2017, 04:00:43 pm »
I bet it never gets made, but yeah.

What I'm looking forward to is watching DC fanboys that have derided Marvel films for being humorous and light, deal with Whedon, who is essentially 80% witty one liners, helming one of their films.

Be interesting to see what a real Whedon superhero movie looks like for sure, without Feige over his shoulder telling him what to do. Buffy was able to balance serious issues with a light hearted character, and Batgirl isn't going to be defending the world from genocidal aliens so a lighter approach makes more sense.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3158 on: April 3, 2017, 04:09:13 pm »
Be interesting to see what a real Whedon superhero movie looks like for sure, without Feige over his shoulder telling him what to do. Buffy was able to balance serious issues with a light hearted character, and Batgirl isn't going to be defending the world from genocidal aliens so a lighter approach makes more sense.

to be honest I think the first Avengers is exactly what a true Whedon superhero movie looks like. AoU not so much, but I'd love a low stakes Batgirl film by him, it should be fantastic.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3159 on: April 3, 2017, 04:38:50 pm »
to be honest I think the first Avengers is exactly what a true Whedon superhero movie looks like. AoU not so much, but I'd love a low stakes Batgirl film by him, it should be fantastic.

I'm not sure how much of that was him and how much was Feige. RDJ was definitely went into business for himself in that one too, I like to think Whedon would balance the quips a little better if he was the main man.

My favourite heroes have always been street level so I'm all in anyway.

Hey Claus, fuck off.