Author Topic: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.  (Read 44780 times)

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
Re: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2015, 09:37:27 pm »
Just watched the pilot yesterday. Quite liked it, but not sure what I'm in for.

Where do regular viewers put it amongst the drama pantheon so far, noting it's only been a couple of seasons?

The pantheon being for me:

First tier: The Wire, The Sopranos
Second tier: Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire

It's easily in my top tier, despite only having 2.5 seasons under its belt. As far as I'm concerned, it's only gotten better as it's matured which is pretty astounding considering its excellence from the off. Best show currently on television and, as long as it's not cancelled (which could happen as it's always struggled in the ratings), I can see it eventually in the discussion for the best show ever. I think it's that great a combination of writing, performance, and technical achievement. Plus it's got an abundant use of absurd wigs which are endlessly entertaining.
Justice For The 96

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2015, 05:43:26 pm »
Wow. That was breathtaking. Keri Russell was just phenomenal and an episode title to match. Pure brilliance from start to finish.
Justice For The 96

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2015, 09:35:11 pm »
Wow. That was breathtaking. Keri Russell was just phenomenal and an episode title to match. Pure brilliance from start to finish.

I agree. That was one of the best episodes in the series so far.

Awesome.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:48 pm »
I binged watched this series over the weekend - international football and the other half being away are good for some things. Watched 5 episodes yesterday and today and now up to speed again.
Holy shit, this series is amazing.
It's really something when watching a guy getting necklaced is probably only 3rd or 4th in the list of 'I can't believe they're doing this', well below watching Philip trying to seduce a 15-year-old (or not), or Elizabeth opening up a bottle of heart pills for an old lady and spreading them out on the table.

Keri Russell is doing phenomenal work this year. My heart just sank when the old lady asked her name and she told her. such a brutal scene.

But Matthew Rhys is incredible. The scenes with Kimmy are just awful to watch, but the way that Philip uses stuff from his 'real' life as James, and keep up the pretence is superb.
But then his acting shifts up another gear with the scenes with Martha. That conversation after Martha confronted him about the other internal affairs agent was amazing - he conveyed about a half dozen emotions all at the same time - empathy, understanding, menace, etc - all just through his eyes. He's a brilliant actor.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2015, 11:16:13 am »
Both the leading actors elevate the series. They are superb.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2015, 03:40:31 pm »
It's such a brilliant show. They do an outstanding job of portraying the Russians as the good guys. The apartheid stuff is used brilliantly. I can't say I'd ever thought about Russia being against it.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2015, 06:58:26 pm »
Both the leading actors elevate the series. They are superb.

They really are. I'd throw Noah Emmerich in as well because I think he's been outstanding since the show premiered. It's really hard to highlight any one actor from the show, though, because the supporting cast has been so strong. Margo Martindale in the first season was just brilliant. Alison Wright probably doesn't get enough credit for portraying Martha so capably. She's really a character who could be looked down on as a dupe, but she consistently rises above that. Personally, I always enjoy the work of Lev Gorn and Costa Ronin. The scenes between those two in the Rezidentura are regularly electric. Also, I don't know her name, but the girl playing Kimmie this year has been outstanding. It's a brilliant ensemble.
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2015, 11:33:28 am »
It's such a brilliant show. They do an outstanding job of portraying the Russians as the good guys. The apartheid stuff is used brilliantly. I can't say I'd ever thought about Russia being against it.

America, Israel and Britain more or less accepted it, right? Disgraceful but not much surprised though.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2015, 04:45:05 pm »
I'm not sure where it all stood by the time it got to 1981. I think the makers are playing with time a little, because I think by the eighties, pretty much everwhere was anti-apartheid. I'll have to check wiki.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2015, 04:59:09 pm »
I'm not sure where it all stood by the time it got to 1981. I think the makers are playing with time a little, because I think by the eighties, pretty much everwhere was anti-apartheid. I'll have to check wiki.

Thatcher made no bones about calling ANC terrorists and opposed sanctions at every opportunity, becoming isolated in dealing with PW Botha's government.
Pretty sure that Reagan would have been on the same page in the early 80's.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2015, 05:12:08 pm »
Thatcher made no bones about calling ANC terrorists and opposed sanctions at every opportunity, becoming isolated in dealing with PW Botha's government.
Pretty sure that Reagan would have been on the same page in the early 80's.
No doubt about that twat, but we did boycot them for sport, or was that just an international thing we had to get on board with?

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2015, 08:06:57 pm »
No doubt about that twat, but we did boycot them for sport, or was that just an international thing we had to get on board with?

We had to get on board (1976 Olympic boycott was essentially anti-apartheid), though the rugby did its best to keep them onside.

Anyways, it's been renewed for the 4th season. FX President John Landgraf always promised at least 5 seasons.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2015, 08:16:40 pm »
Anyways, it's been renewed for the 4th season. FX President John Landgraf always promised at least 5 seasons.

Brilliant.
Justice For The 96

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2015, 08:50:23 pm »
...Alison Wright probably doesn't get enough credit for portraying Martha so capably. She's really a character who could be looked down on as a dupe, but she consistently rises above that. ...

I was very surprised when I found out she is from Sunderland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Wright_%28actress%29

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:39:59 pm by leftfooter »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #174 on: April 2, 2015, 03:11:16 pm »
Keri Russell is doing phenomenal work this year. My heart just sank when the old lady asked her name and she told her. such a brutal scene.

But Matthew Rhys is incredible. The scenes with Kimmy are just awful to watch, but the way that Philip uses stuff from his 'real' life as James, and keep up the pretence is superb.
But then his acting shifts up another gear with the scenes with Martha. That conversation after Martha confronted him about the other internal affairs agent was amazing - he conveyed about a half dozen emotions all at the same time - empathy, understanding, menace, etc - all just through his eyes. He's a brilliant actor.

He's brilliant. I feel like the show has switched a little bit from being mostly focused on Elisabeth to now being more focused on Philip, finally giving Rhys the opportunity to show the world his set of acting talents. The writing is also amazing.

Spoiler
The beginning of this week's episode, with the Pastor looking for a travel agent, is just incredible. There are scenes like that in every single episode since the first one, and that's truly incredible.
[close]
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #175 on: April 2, 2015, 04:56:26 pm »

Totally agree with you, Brian, it's really compelling the way they've turned that upside-down. In my mass communications class, I decided to use the film "Godzilla" because I found a good article about it that I can use for some vocabulary practice. It's a shit movie for the most part, aside from the final kill (which is AMAZEBALLS), but it gives me a chance to teach the Thai students some Cold War history, which they don't get enough of. I used the film to talk about the dark nuclear cloud we all felt hanging over us in those years. I just watched the latest episode and I was thinking about all this, like what a younger viewer who didn't live through the 70's and 80's might think about these characters. It's brilliant the way it works on so many levels, the way they are the protagonists of the show and are sympathetic in some ways, but always with that realization that they are essentially very much the enemy. But would a younger viewer realize this, or feel this way, or just think of them as European characters from "Russia," as opposed to "Soviets"? If that makes sense. I don't know, but it's such an interesting dynamic.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #176 on: April 3, 2015, 10:47:00 am »
Oh revelation, ladies and gents. Cracking episode.

Spoiler
Paige of course confused and despite showing maturity before, maybe/probably this is too much for her. She won't reveal anything though. For now at least. *Phew*
[close]

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 3, 2015, 12:46:35 pm »
Not seen this. Reading something about Better Call Saul and the article described this as best show on tv. Is it worth watching?

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #178 on: April 3, 2015, 01:31:52 pm »
Is there any news as to whether Season 3 is being shown in UK?

A great drama series. Always has you on the edge of your seat

I understand ITV haven't taken up the option. I guess the viewing figures didn't stack up to expectations.

Is anywhere else showing it or do I have to wait for the dvd?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #179 on: April 3, 2015, 01:41:52 pm »
Not seen this. Reading something about Better Call Saul and the article described this as best show on tv. Is it worth watching?

Yes, absolutely, it's superb. The two main actors are brilliant

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: April 3, 2015, 01:58:59 pm »
Totally agree with you, Brian, it's really compelling the way they've turned that upside-down. In my mass communications class, I decided to use the film "Godzilla" because I found a good article about it that I can use for some vocabulary practice. It's a shit movie for the most part, aside from the final kill (which is AMAZEBALLS), but it gives me a chance to teach the Thai students some Cold War history, which they don't get enough of. I used the film to talk about the dark nuclear cloud we all felt hanging over us in those years. I just watched the latest episode and I was thinking about all this, like what a younger viewer who didn't live through the 70's and 80's might think about these characters. It's brilliant the way it works on so many levels, the way they are the protagonists of the show and are sympathetic in some ways, but always with that realization that they are essentially very much the enemy. But would a younger viewer realize this, or feel this way, or just think of them as European characters from "Russia," as opposed to "Soviets"? If that makes sense. I don't know, but it's such an interesting dynamic.
That's a great point, regarding younger viewers. It will definitely be different having lived through it as opposed to reading about it.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: April 3, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »
Yes, absolutely, it's superb. The two main actors are brilliant
Nice. Is it on Netflix or where's best to see it?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #182 on: April 3, 2015, 06:54:07 pm »

Not sure mate, I watch it on the Pi (Kodi)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: April 3, 2015, 06:56:32 pm »
I don't think it's on Netflix. The first two seasons are on Amazon Prime if you have that. Or you could always sign up for the free trial, it's easy to cancel.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 3, 2015, 06:57:01 pm »
Fuck me, what an episode. Phillip's infinitesimal nod to Elizabeth could not have been more powerful. Absolutely amazing work. Probably lost in the holy shit-ness of that episode, but the Stan-Henry relationship that's developing is pretty great.
Justice For The 96

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: April 3, 2015, 06:58:44 pm »
I don't think it's on Netflix. The first two seasons are on Amazon Prime if you have that. Or you could always sign up for the free trial, it's easy to cancel.
Not sure mate, I watch it on the Pi (Kodi)
Cheers. Will start watching it soon.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #186 on: April 4, 2015, 10:59:16 am »
Wanna see Phillip speak Russian once. Elizabeth a bit more too. Even if they shouldn't script and mission wise.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2015, 06:49:23 pm »
Holy shit. Only one episode left and I don't have a clue where this is headed. The tension in every episode is so palpable, even in the scenes where nobody's throat is being slit. Just brilliant.
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2015, 09:06:45 am »
Margo is back. Things are getting too tense on 2 fronts now.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2015, 01:15:48 pm »
ok, so my no-binge policy means i'm only just up to date with this show.

i don't think there's all that much to say other than: what a show.  somehow a show about global geopolitics is played as the epitome of a drama of tiny things, with tiny character movements preferred to massive plot revelations or set pieces (although it does both of those really well too).  a fine selection of actors, great direction and excellent music despite the constraints of being set in the 1980s.

and, perhaps most importantly for me, the showrunners really know how to nail season finales, and this was no different.  that final, intercut scene was a masterpiece.

up there at the very top level of tv dramas for me (alongside bb, six feet under and the wire).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:26:36 pm by sideshowme »
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 3, 2015, 11:57:26 pm »
ok, so my no-binge policy means i'm only just up to date with this show.

i don't think there's all that much to say other than: what a show.  somehow a show about global geopolitics is played as the epitome of a drama of tiny things, with tiny character movements preferred to massive plot revelations or set pieces (although it does both of those really well too).  a fine selection of actors, great direction and excellent music despite the constraints of being set in the 1980s.

and, perhaps most importantly for me, the showrunners really know how to nail season finales, and this was no different.  that final, intercut scene was a masterpiece.

up there at the very top level of tv dramas for me (alongside bb, six feet under and the wire).

Amen. Can't believe I (or anyone else for that matter) didn't post on the season finale yet. Thought it was brilliant (shocking, I know). This show is damn near technically flawless. It just hits every note. Waiting another 7/8 months for Season 4 is just cruel.
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 4, 2015, 01:05:25 am »
Amen. Can't believe I (or anyone else for that matter) didn't post on the season finale yet.

given your previous enthusiasm, i assumed the finale had just literally blown your mind, and you were recovering in a hospital somewhere muttering darkly about wigs and commodore 64s... :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 4, 2015, 02:59:10 am »
given your previous enthusiasm, i assumed the finale had just literally blown your mind, and you were recovering in a hospital somewhere muttering darkly about wigs and commodore 64s... :)

I was discharged a good 10 days ago.  :wave
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: July 6, 2015, 04:52:29 pm »
i always thought that the post-coital state-secret-spilling in this show was a bit fanciful, but then i listened to this, and it turns out to be a real thing.

horniness really does trump every other value a person holds :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: August 9, 2015, 10:27:32 pm »
Even former Russian spies admit The Americans is perfect (excepting the wigs):

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/08/05/an-ex-russian-spy-on-the-accuracy-of-the-americans/
Justice For The 96

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2015, 05:51:09 pm »
Season 4 will begin sometime in March. Exact date hasn't been announced. The previous seasons have all debuted in February. Not sure I can make it an extra month.
Justice For The 96

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2015, 06:37:04 pm »
Season 4 will begin sometime in March. Exact date hasn't been announced. The previous seasons have all debuted in February. Not sure I can make it an extra month.
Great news it's back.

Damn the extra month wait.

From IMDB the character of Claudia isn't in season 4 :(,her character always brought a lot of tension on screen,always liked the scenes of Elizabeth and Claudia together.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:47:51 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 13, 2015, 06:41:26 pm »
Eh, it's a good show for sure but still not creme yet.

Paige is fucking annoying, you behave like an idiot to get the truth only to break down like that? Who can't keep a secret at 14, seriously? That was ridiculous.

Russell and Rhys are spectacular actors and their chemistry is outstanding. Gabriel was a really good addition and the backdrop for this show is obviously intruiging with the cold war raging. There seem to be some holes with the timelines though, when the show starts Rhys and Russell are developing some chemistry which is fine but the fact that it took 15 years for that to develop despite staying together was ridiculous especially when they thew in the '15 year affair' with Gregory. That part felt forced and did not really make much sense even though the acting made up for it.

Good show, hopefully it makes the jump up. We're already at the apartheid stage though, how many more seasons are scheduled?
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2015, 06:48:00 pm »
Great news it's back.

Damn the extra month wait.

From IMDB the characters of Claudia :(,her character always brought a lot of tension on screen,always liked the scenes of Elizabeth and Claudia together.
Looking forward to its return. I thought series 3 was the strongest so far.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2015, 08:48:58 pm »
Looking forward to its return. I thought series 3 was the strongest so far.
Not sure what happened to my post there,fixed it now. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."