Author Topic: Systems - Mobility of Position and the Disruption of Formations  (Read 11844 times)

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
Re: Systems - Mobility of Position and the Disruption of Formations
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 12:33:48 am »
No, that makes sense. What you might try to do if they have two DM's is put good 1v1 players on their fullbacks, or speed on the wings to take advantage of transitions. Or overload their wings with your AM and wingers combining. Alternatively, if they push high, just play over the top of them, and they won't need DM's :D
i do like to see i dink over the top...sturridges pace too...it could reap rewards...dont see enough of it for me...
totally wipes out any defence...like you say ,if they play an advanced line
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 04:51:38 am »
Mobility from Position –

Reading the Game –

If we look at formations in this manner (coverage of space, manipulation of the opposition through movement from position,  penetration into space created, understanding of the principles of play and which principle the opposition are looking to emphasise), then we can see how the Rodgers 2-3-2-3 can be altered to nullify the threat the opposition poses, not just by an actual formation change, but with simple movements of players to cover spaces in possession that could be vulnerable on transition. In order to do this, though, the team needs to be adept at reading the game, understanding what the opposition are trying to do on the ball, and what spaces they are likely to leave, if any. What I would imagine Rodgers is looking to do, is build a team that is mobile enough to change the defensive space of the other team through their timed and choreographed movements, or change the defensive space through individual skill when the shape of the other team is covering the effective spaces well. This is why the oft-made cry of “two or three transfer windows” is justified – there are only certain types of players who will understand these subtle movements, and at Liverpool Rodgers finally has a chance to pursue them to realize his vision. These players will be clever, agile, good with the ball and positionally sound. But more importantly, they will be intelligent enough to understand space and how it is being changed and shaped by both the movement of the ball around the field and the movement of players to create space for the ball. It is why we have seen some more direct patterns of play recently. It is also why the future of a Brendan Rodgers Liverpool could be, under the right circumstances, as exciting as anything we played in 1988 or 2009.

Excellent piece as usual, PoP.

From what you're saying, wouldn't it be imperative that we buy a really good defensive mid who has a large tank, can break up play and is cluey in reading the game? Looking at the depth of centre mids we have, none of them can do a job like Lucas and that's where the risk lies. We do not have a back up for Lucas. The closest to him is Hendo but I think he's better in a more forward position to press the opposition defenders when they have the ball.

It'll be interesting to see how Rodgers plans to nullify the threat of Walcott in the next league game. If it's a 4-3-3 formation and where individual match ups are important, I could see Walcott skinning Johnson on the left. Something Rafa did to nullify Ronaldo when playing against Mancs was to have both fullback and winger go to him every time he had the ball. I don't think I've seen this with Rodgers.

royhendo

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 02:34:56 pm »
Worth a bump this at the moment.

Offline Kalessin

• Boys Pen
  • Red since 69, and of the Liverpool Irish family
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 01:47:49 am »
Brendan Rodgers has shown pragmatism and adaptability in his approach this season based on the personnel and the personality of his squad, and it has really worked so far.  I don't think he can or will simply buy any players he wants that will fit a particular theoretical playing model - the purchasing strategy of the club doesn't allow that.  What he seems to be doing so far is maximising the value from players who have become undervalued in the market for whatever reason (Sturridge, Coutinho, Sakho), which is a variation on classic Moneyball as I understand it, but still in that ballpark (to coin a phrase).   

In fact, his ability to get the best from most of the squad - whatever level their best actually is - and not to construct a purely structural model of success (ie. formation, style etc.) but also to consider confidence and character as essentials rather than by-products, could be a defining factor.   This is what he says he looks for in players and looks to give the team, so I am taking it on face value.

The very best teams always have more than one way of playing over a long season with all the variables.  It's normally whatever way in the end helps them win more often than not.  Perhaps Barcelona could be said to subvert everything to the model, but its a lot easier to try that when you have all the best players - and last season Bayern blew them away with a game that can encompass pace, possession, counter-attack, directness and skill. 

As a work in progress and/or a sign of things to come, I am more than happy with the season so far.
‘If Liverpool did not exist, it would have to be invented" Felicien de Myrbach