Author Topic: Wikileaks:  (Read 128887 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wikileaks:
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2010, 10:08:52 pm »
Absolutely fascinating stuff.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2010, 11:23:01 pm »
'Hunt WikiLeaks chief down like Osama bin Laden: Sarah Palin demands Assange is treated like Al Qaeda terrorist'

;D

The one who confuses which one out of North and South Korea are their allies has spoken.

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: December 1, 2010, 03:44:09 am »
Apparently he's gonna release the contents of a stolen Bank of America exec's hard drive next. Thoughts?
I'm liking this Refo-fella. Wanna adopt?

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #83 on: December 1, 2010, 03:47:07 am »
Apparently he's gonna release the contents of a stolen Bank of America exec's hard drive next. Thoughts?

hope he can get a hold of juicy info on Rockerfeller and co..

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 1, 2010, 03:58:41 am »
Assange on the bank leak:

It will give a true and representative insight into how banks behave at the executive level in a way that will stimulate investigations and reforms, I presume.

Usually when you get leaks at this level, it's about one particular case or one particular violation. For this, there's only one similar example. It's like the Enron emails. Why were these so valuable? When Enron collapsed, through court processes, thousands and thousands of emails came out that were internal, and it provided a window into how the whole company was managed. It was all the little decisions that supported the flagrant violations.

This will be like that. Yes, there will be some flagrant violations, unethical practices that will be revealed, but it will also be all the supporting decision-making structures and the internal executive ethos that cames out, and that's tremendously valuable. Like the Iraq War Logs, yes there were mass casualty incidents that were very newsworthy, but the great value is seeing the full spectrum of the war.

You could call it the ecosystem of corruption. But it's also all the regular decision making that turns a blind eye to and supports unethical practices: the oversight that's not done, the priorities of executives, how they think they're fulfilling their own self-interest. The way they talk about it.

Offline NowInOz

• Main Stander
« Reply #85 on: December 1, 2010, 04:03:07 am »
Well now Mr Assange has interpol on his back accusing him of rape....... its getting dirty

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #86 on: December 1, 2010, 04:04:29 am »
Well now Mr Assange has interpol on his back accusing him of rape....... its getting dirty
Is he still in Iceland? does he leave there and travel around the world? surely not, that would leave him open to being nabbed.

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 1, 2010, 06:49:48 am »
Is he still in Iceland? does he leave there and travel around the world? surely not, that would leave him open to being nabbed.
he's in England apparently.

Offline AnyGivenSunday

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 1, 2010, 07:32:12 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11883567

Interpol has issued a "Red Notice" for the founder of the whistle-blowing website Wikileaks, Julian Assange.

It said the Australian was wanted for questioning in Sweden over an alleged sex offence, which he has denied.

The Red Notice does not amount to an arrest warrant. Instead, it asks people to contact the police if they have any information about his whereabouts.

Meanwhile, Ecuador's President Rafael Correa has said he did not approve an offer of residency made to Mr Assange.

Work praised
Mr Assange, 39, has filed an appeal with Sweden's Supreme Court in an effort to overturn a ruling by the Stockholm district court earlier this month that he be detained for questioning on allegations of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion, stemming from a visit in August.

His petition was rejected by the Stockholm appeals court last week.

Australia is also investigating whether he has broken any laws there.

Mr Assange has dismissed the allegations as part of a smear campaign.

His mother, Christine, has spoken of her distress at the Interpol alert.

Mrs Assange, who lives in Queensland, told Australian radio: "He's my son and I love him and obviously I don't want him hunted down and jailed. I'm reacting as any mother would. I'm distressed. A lot of stuff that's written about me and Julian is untrue."

On Monday, Ecuador's Deputy Foreign Minister Kintto Lucas had praised Mr Assange's investigative work and said he was welcome to live and lecture in the country "without any conditions".

But Mr Correa told reporters that the offer had "not been approved by Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino - or the president". Mr Patino said it would "have to be studied from the legal and diplomatic perspective".

Sweden turned down Mr Assange's application for residency in October. The Scandinavian country's laws protect whistle-blowers.

On Sunday, Wikileaks began publishing about 250,000 US diplomatic cables in a third major release of classified US documents. The first two concerned the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #89 on: December 1, 2010, 04:38:34 pm »
Is it me or do these latest leaks seem a bit lame? I mean, gossip and tittle tattle about which leader is like what and what they get up to isn't exactly earth shattering stuff. I always presumed that diplomats spend most of their time tittering behind their hands about their hosts, and vice versa. For example, Hillary Clinton now has to go on an "embarassing trip" to Kazakhstan, embarrassing because the wikileaks have loads of stuff about Kazakhstan's leader being a total fruit loop. Guess what? He is a total fruit loop, and everyone knew it anyway.

For the next round, I want incontrovertible evidence of alien life and/or Sarah Palin is actually the Dalai Lama or I'm going to lose interest.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 1, 2010, 05:03:21 pm »
There hasn't been anything particularly surprising in any of the stories.

- The Gaddaffi stuff, we already knew he was nutty, there's been recent news about him paying Italian models to attend parties, and other stories have been going around for years as to his eccentricities.
- Prince Andrew and the Kazakhstan buyer of his house who mysteriously paid over the odds had already come out before wikileaks. It was known that as a business envoy his approach was possibly ethically questionable.
- The Saudi's urging the US to make strikes on Iran was the only one that was slightly surprising, but then again the conservative Saudi's are absolutely petrified of Iran, so you really couldn't put it past them.
- Mervyn King's comments about Cameron being out of his depth was just sound political analysis, Brown handled the early part of the credit crunch far better.

Offline PILLSBURY069

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: December 1, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »
Is it me or do these latest leaks seem a bit lame? I mean, gossip and tittle tattle about which leader is like what and what they get up to isn't exactly earth shattering stuff. I always presumed that diplomats spend most of their time tittering behind their hands about their hosts, and vice versa. For example, Hillary Clinton now has to go on an "embarassing trip" to Kazakhstan, embarrassing because the wikileaks have loads of stuff about Kazakhstan's leader being a total fruit loop. Guess what? He is a total fruit loop, and everyone knew it anyway.

For the next round, I want incontrovertible evidence of alien life and/or Sarah Palin is actually the Dalai Lama or I'm going to lose interest.

I thought Sarah Palin was proof of alien life.
Who ate all the pies?????? I DID!!!!!!!!!!

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #92 on: December 1, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »
More people like this are needed, fight the good fight. Show them for who they really are!

How does he get this info anyone know?

Personally I think the man is a fool and a dangerous one at that, you may end up with more fights than you want.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 1, 2010, 06:44:36 pm »
'Hunt WikiLeaks chief down like Osama bin Laden: Sarah Palin demands Assange is treated like Al Qaeda terrorist'

;D

The one who confuses which one out of North and South Korea are their allies has spoken.

Since when did we begin living in a world where Sarah Palin demands anything but extra fuckin mustard ?

Edit; All the Wikileak links are down, probably denied service, although the Guardian is obviously still up. If this has been organised through the USA /Allies, what's next for censorship, slippery slope this whether you agree or not with them being published in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2010, 06:56:52 pm by Bangin Them In »
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline PILLSBURY069

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: December 1, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »
wikileaks is down because senator joe liebermann former vice presidential candidate asked amazon to stop hosting wikileaks and they agreed to the request.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 1, 2010, 09:01:50 pm »
wikileaks is down because senator joe liebermann former vice presidential candidate asked amazon to stop hosting wikileaks and they agreed to the request.

Oh well, as long as we rely on Ol' Joe to protect our freedoms, what more could we ask for ?

Not as if he has any vested interest now is it ?
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 1, 2010, 10:35:37 pm »
2 questions:

1) how does he find this out?
2) why is he publishing it to the world?
3) is it going to start a world war?

oh, that's 3 questions.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #97 on: December 1, 2010, 10:39:09 pm »
2 questions:

People come to him

He thinks everyone has a right to know shit that goes on.

No.

oh, that's 3 questions.

And a qualifying statement.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 1, 2010, 10:56:39 pm »
'According to accounts the women gave to the police and friends, they each had consensual sexual encounters with Mr. Assange that became nonconsensual. One woman said that Mr. Assange had ignored her appeals to stop after a condom broke. The other woman said that she and Mr. Assange had begun a sexual encounter using a condom, but that Mr. Assange did not comply with her appeals to stop when it was no longer in use. Mr. Assange has questioned the veracity of those accounts.'

Hmm, the same scenario - both women?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #99 on: December 1, 2010, 11:54:20 pm »
2 questions:

As Dava said, people come to him.. the biggest case of this is a US Marine who is now locked up by the US Army.

He believes we have a right to know, there is so much shit going on, that its good to give some clarity, and allow people to know what the world governments are doing, this will be news to some people, and not news to others, but he has brought it all out into the open. This is great for transparcy, people power, fairness and human rights etc, but it can stir shit up so to speak.

would imagine so, but it could stir up tensions and smaller wars.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 2, 2010, 12:09:10 am »

would imagine so, but it could stir up tensions and smaller wars.

Nothing released so far to indicate that, mostly trivia Sarkozy 'chased pet rabbit around office' kinda stuff.

The more recent headline Cables expose Putin's 'mafia state' are little closer to the bone, but honestly is anyone surprised by this revelation.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #101 on: December 2, 2010, 12:25:44 am »
Nothing released so far to indicate that, mostly trivia Sarkozy 'chased pet rabbit around office' kinda stuff.

The more recent headline Cables expose Putin's 'mafia state' are little closer to the bone, but honestly is anyone surprised by this revelation.

typo, meant to type: wouldn't imagine so

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #102 on: December 2, 2010, 12:26:55 am »
A lot of people will be racking there brains now  wondering if what they had said is going to come out . I cant see the point of it all really, apart from the embarressment, it could  also be potentially harmful in some instances What purpose is it serving ?
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 2, 2010, 04:53:50 am »
'According to accounts the women gave to the police and friends, they each had consensual sexual encounters with Mr. Assange that became nonconsensual. One woman said that Mr. Assange had ignored her appeals to stop after a condom broke. The other woman said that she and Mr. Assange had begun a sexual encounter using a condom, but that Mr. Assange did not comply with her appeals to stop when it was no longer in use. Mr. Assange has questioned the veracity of those accounts.'

Hmm, the same scenario - both women?

clearly he really hates condoms the man.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: December 2, 2010, 08:39:11 am »
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/wikileaks-founder-netanyahu-believes-expose-will-aid-mideast-peace-1.328380

looks as if wikileaks failed to get anything of importance from Israel.  Either that, or the Israeli people are too scared to tattletale on Israel in fear of becoming another Mordechai Vanunu

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 2, 2010, 09:03:38 am »
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/wikileaks-founder-netanyahu-believes-expose-will-aid-mideast-peace-1.328380

looks as if wikileaks failed to get anything of importance from Israel.  Either that, or the Israeli people are too scared to tattletale on Israel in fear of becoming another Mordechai Vanunu

Dumb statement to make. The documents leaked came from the Americans. If they contained information about Israel it wouldn't have had anything to do with an Israeli leak anyway.

I swear it often seems people trawl the news just waiting to put in a sly dig at Israel. When nothing comes up, they try anyway even when doing so seems silly.

As for Israel engineering the leak, I could see it being true, but Celik jumping to that conclusion is just terrible diplomacy.

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #106 on: December 2, 2010, 10:25:26 pm »
Give one thing to Wikileaks, never felt English until this shit - it seems blaming UK soldiers justifies pretty much everything

US is such a special friendship
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline Imperium

• Main Stander
« Reply #107 on: December 3, 2010, 12:44:35 am »
The British forces jibes pissed me off. If we're surplus to requirement then we should just leave and be rid of all the bullshit.

Wikileaks tweeted this, very interesting i thought:
Quote from: Wikileaks Twitter
Kennedy on why WikiLeaks matters (Youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZk8ronces

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #108 on: December 3, 2010, 01:57:00 am »
The British forces jibes pissed me off. If we're surplus to requirement then we should just leave and be rid of all the bullshit.

Wikileaks tweeted this, very interesting i thought:
cannot dissagree with Kennedy.

The way i see it is this, and its a rather simplistic view, but there is nothing wrong with that.
"If you dont want to be caught doing something, you shouldn't be doing it!"

Offline PILLSBURY069

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: December 3, 2010, 02:47:39 pm »
If our american and afghan friends (and I use that term advisedly) dont like what we did in Helmand then we can quite happily pack up and leave it to them to sort out. Our incredibly brave armed forces are spilling their own blood for nothing out there. Lets bring them home.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #110 on: December 3, 2010, 09:00:08 pm »
Paddy Cosgrave: (founder of the Dublin Web Summit)

According to Assange (Wikileaks guy) "in yet-to-be-published parts of the cablegate archive there are indeed references to UFOs."

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #111 on: December 3, 2010, 09:07:42 pm »
Q&A with Jullian Assange on the Gaurdian Website.

Fwoggie
I'll start the ball rolling with a question. You're an Australian passport holder - would you want return to your own country or is this now out of the question due to potentially being arrested on arrival for releasing cables relating to Australian diplomats and polices?

Julian Assange:
I am an Australian citizen and I miss my country a great deal. However, during the last weeks the Australian prime minister, Julia Gillard, and the attorney general, Robert McClelland, have made it clear that not only is my return is impossible but that they are actively working to assist the United States government in its attacks on myself and our people. This brings into question what does it mean to be an Australian citizen - does that mean anything at all? Or are we all to be treated like David Hicks at the first possible opportunity merely so that Australian politicians and diplomats can be invited to the best US embassy cocktail parties.

girish89
How do you think you have changed world affairs?
And if you call all the attention you've been given-credit ... shouldn't the mole or source receive a word of praise from you?

Julian Assange:
For the past four years one of our goals has been to lionise the source who take the real risks in nearly every journalistic disclosure and without whose efforts, journalists would be nothing. If indeed it is the case, as alleged by the Pentagon, that the young soldier - Bradley Manning - is behind some of our recent disclosures, then he is without doubt an unparalleled hero.

Daithi
Have you released, or will you release, cables (either in the last few days or with the Afghan and Iraq war logs) with the names of Afghan informants or anything else like so?
Are you willing to censor (sorry for using the term) any names that you feel might land people in danger from reprisals??
By the way, I think history will absolve you. Well done!!!

Julian Assange:
WikiLeaks has a four-year publishing history. During that time there has been no credible allegation, even by organisations like the Pentagon that even a single person has come to harm as a result of our activities. This is despite much-attempted manipulation and spin trying to lead people to a counter-factual conclusion. We do not expect any change in this regard.

distrot
The State Dept is mulling over the issue of whether you are a journalist or not. Are you a journalist? As far as delivering information that someone [anyone] does not want seen is concerned, does it matter if you are a 'journalist' or not?

Julian Assange:
I coauthored my first nonfiction book by the time I was 25. I have been involved in nonfiction documentaries, newspapers, TV and internet since that time. However, it is not necessary to debate whether I am a journalist, or how our people mysteriously are alleged to cease to be journalists when they start writing for our organisaiton. Although I still write, research and investigate my role is primarily that of a publisher and editor-in-chief who organises and directs other journalists.

achanth
Mr Assange,
have there ever been documents forwarded to you which deal with the topic of UFOs or extraterrestrials?

Julian Assange:
Many weirdos email us about UFOs or how they discovered that they were the anti-christ whilst talking with their ex-wife at a garden party over a pot-plant. However, as yet they have not satisfied two of our publishing rules.
1) that the documents not be self-authored;
2) that they be original.
However, it is worth noting that in yet-to-be-published parts of the cablegate archive there are indeed references to UFOs.

gnosticheresy
What happened to all the other documents that were on Wikileaks prior to these series of "megaleaks"? Will you put them back online at some stage ("technical difficulties" permitting)?

Julian Assange:
Many of these are still available at mirror.wikileaks.info and the rest will be returning as soon as we can find a moment to do address the engineering complexities. Since April of this year our timetable has not been our own, rather it has been one that has centred on the moves of abusive elements of the United States government against us. But rest assured I am deeply unhappy that the three-and-a-half years of my work and others is not easily available or searchable by the general public.

CrisShutlar
Have you expected this level of impact all over the world? Do you fear for your security?

Julian Assange:
I always believed that WikiLeaks as a concept would perform a global role and to some degree it was clear that is was doing that as far back as 2007 when it changed the result of the Kenyan general election. I thought it would take two years instead of four to be recognised by others as having this important role, so we are still a little behind schedule and have much more work to do. The threats against our lives are a matter of public record, however, we are taking the appropriate precautions to the degree that we are able when dealing with a super power.

JAnthony
Julian.
I am a former British diplomat. In the course of my former duties I helped to coordinate multilateral action against a brutal regime in the Balkans, impose sanctions on a renegade state threatening ethnic cleansing, and negotiate a debt relief programme for an impoverished nation. None of this would have been possible without the security and secrecy of diplomatic correspondence, and the protection of that correspondence from publication under the laws of the UK and many other liberal and democratic states. An embassy which cannot securely offer advice or pass messages back to London is an embassy which cannot operate. Diplomacy cannot operate without discretion and the
protection of sources. This applies to the UK and the UN as much as the US.
In publishing this massive volume of correspondence, Wikileaks is not highlighting specific cases of wrongdoing but undermining the entire process of diplomacy. If you can publish US cables then you can publish UK telegrams and UN emails.
My question to you is: why should we not hold you personally responsible when next an international crisis goes unresolved because diplomats cannot function.

Julian Assange:
If you trim the vast editorial letter to the singular question actually asked, I would be happy to give it my attention.

cargun
Mr Assange,
Can you explain the censorship of identities as XXXXX's in the revealed cables? Some critical identities are left as is, whereas some are XXXXX'd. Some cables are partially revealed. Who can make such critical decisons, but the US gov't? As far as we know your request for such help was rejected by the State department. Also is there an order in the release of cable or are they randomly selected?
Thank you.

Julian Assange:
The cables we have release correspond to stories released by our main stream media partners and ourselves. They have been redacted by the journalists working on the stories, as these people must know the material well in order to write about it. The redactions are then reviewed by at least one other journalist or editor, and we review samples supplied by the other organisations to make sure the process is working.

rszopa
Annoying as it may be, the DDoS seems to be good publicity (if anything, it adds to your credibility). So is getting kicked out of AWS. Do you agree with this statement? Were you planning for it?
Thank you for doing what you are doing.

Julian Assange:
Since 2007 we have been deliberately placing some of our servers in jurisdictions that we suspected suffered a free speech deficit inorder to separate rhetoric from reality. Amazon was one of these cases.

abbeherrera
You started something that nobody can stop. The Beginning of a New World. Remember, that community is behind you and support you (from Slovakia).
Do you have leaks on ACTA?

Julian Assange:
Yes, we have leaks on the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, a trojan horse trade agreement designed from the very beginning to satisfy big players in the US copyright and patent industries. In fact, it was WikiLeaks that first drew ACTA to the public's attention - with a leak.

people1st
Tom Flanagan, a [former] senior adviser to Canadian Prime Minister recently stated "I think Assange should be assassinated ... I think Obama should put out a contract ... I wouldn't feel unhappy if Assange does disappear."
How do you feel about this?

Julian Assange:
It is correct that Mr. Flanagan and the others seriously making these statements should be charged with incitement to commit murder.

Isopod
Julian, why do you think it was necessary to "give Wikileaks a face"? Don't you think it would be better if the organization was anonymous?
This whole debate has become very personal and reduced on you - "Julian Assange leaked documents", "Julian Assange is a terrorist", "Julian Assange alledgedly raped a woman", "Julian Assange should be assassinated", "Live Q&A qith Julian Assange" etc. Nobody talks about Wikileaks as an organization anymore. Many people don't even realize that there are other people behind Wikileaks, too.
And this, in my opinion, makes Wikileaks vulnerable because this enables your opponents to argue ad hominem. If they convince the public that you're an evil, woman-raping terrorist, then Wikileaks' credibility will be gone. Also, with due respect for all that you've done, I think it's unfair to all the other brave, hard working people behind Wikileaks, that you get so much credit.

Julian Assange:
This is an interesting question. I originally tried hard for the organisation to have no face, because I wanted egos to play no part in our activities. This followed the tradition of the French anonymous pure mathematians, who wrote under the collective allonym, "The Bourbaki". However this quickly led to tremendous distracting curiosity about who and random individuals claiming to represent us. In the end, someone must be responsible to the public and only a leadership that is willing to be publicly courageous can genuinely suggest that sources take risks for the greater good. In that process, I have become the lightening rod. I get undue attacks on every aspect of my life, but then I also get undue credit as some kind of balancing force.

tburgi
Western governments lay claim to moral authority in part from having legal guarantees for a free press.
Threats of legal sanction against Wikileaks and yourself seem to weaken this claim.
(What press needs to be protected except that which is unpopular to the State? If being state-sanctioned is the test for being a media organization, and therefore able to claim rights to press freedom, the situation appears to be the same in authoritarian regimes and the west.)
Do you agree that western governments risk losing moral authority by
attacking Wikileaks?
Do you believe western goverments have any moral authority to begin with?
Thanks,
Tim Burgi
Vancouver, Canada

Julian Assange:
The west has fiscalised its basic power relationships through a web of contracts, loans, shareholdings, bank holdings and so on. In such an environment it is easy for speech to be "free" because a change in political will rarely leads to any change in these basic instruments. Western speech, as something that rarely has any effect on power, is, like badgers and birds, free. In states like China, there is pervasive censorship, because speech still has power and power is scared of it. We should always look at censorship as an economic signal that reveals the potential power of speech in that jurisdiction. The attacks against us by the US point to a great hope, speech powerful enough to break the fiscal blockade.

rajiv1857
Hi,
Is the game that you are caught up in winnable? Technically, can you keep playing hide and seek with the powers that be when services and service providers are directly or indirectly under government control or vulnerable to pressure - like Amazon?
Also, if you get "taken out" - and that could be technical, not necessarily physical - what are the alternatives for your cache of material?
Is there a 'second line' of activists in place that would continue the campaign?
Is your material 'dispersed' so that taking out one cache would not necessarily mean the end of the game?

Julian Assange:
The Cable Gate archive has been spread, along with significant material from the US and other countries to over 100,000 people in encrypted form. If something happens to us, the key parts will be released automatically. Further, the Cable Gate archives is in the hands of multiple news organisations. History will win. The world will be elevated to a better place. Will we survive? That depends on you.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #112 on: December 3, 2010, 09:16:53 pm »
JAnthony
Julian.
I am a former British diplomat. In the course of my former duties I helped to coordinate multilateral action against a brutal regime in the Balkans, impose sanctions on a renegade state threatening ethnic cleansing, and negotiate a debt relief programme for an impoverished nation. None of this would have been possible without the security and secrecy of diplomatic correspondence, and the protection of that correspondence from publication under the laws of the UK and many other liberal and democratic states. An embassy which cannot securely offer advice or pass messages back to London is an embassy which cannot operate. Diplomacy cannot operate without discretion and the
protection of sources. This applies to the UK and the UN as much as the US.
In publishing this massive volume of correspondence, Wikileaks is not highlighting specific cases of wrongdoing but undermining the entire process of diplomacy. If you can publish US cables then you can publish UK telegrams and UN emails.
My question to you is: why should we not hold you personally responsible when next an international crisis goes unresolved because diplomats cannot function.

Julian Assange:
If you trim the vast editorial letter to the singular question actually asked, I would be happy to give it my attention.

Class.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 3, 2010, 09:31:02 pm »
Class.

In avoiding the best objection to their project?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #114 on: December 3, 2010, 09:36:32 pm »
In avoiding the best objection to their project?

In deflating a preachy, speechy monologue with a question half heartedly appended. Naturally, the class would not last if he subsequently did resubmit the question and Assange didn't answer.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #115 on: December 3, 2010, 10:40:52 pm »
Kill the humourless

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #116 on: December 3, 2010, 11:04:30 pm »
I take it its just a matter of time before this guy gets assassinated.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #117 on: December 3, 2010, 11:06:01 pm »
I take it its just a matter of time before this guy gets assassinated.
and if that were to happen, he would become a martyr for freedom of speech..

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 3, 2010, 11:20:43 pm »

From what I've seen they were right. We were in no more position to dominate Helmand than we were Basra. That's what happens when you do war to a budget and control it according to PR.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #119 on: December 3, 2010, 11:26:06 pm »
You know your avatar creeps me out?

I do now.