Author Topic: The China Express Train and how Europe is in decline  (Read 10956 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Re: The China Express Train and how Europe is in decline
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2010, 10:16:04 am »
The heat will do your head in after a while, you can't beat 4 seasons.

Oh, after enduring cold winters in Afghanistan and the Hindu Kush over the last 6 years, I have seriously had enough of winter/snow. Winters in Perth will do your head in but nothing in comparison to the Pak.

It's warm and sunny weather I seek. Miami has also crossed my mind but they get hurricanes don't they?

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2010, 10:24:56 am »
Oh, after enduring cold winters in Afghanistan and the Hindu Kush over the last 6 years, I have seriously had enough of winter/snow. Winters in Perth will do your head in but nothing in comparison to the Pak.

It's warm and sunny weather I seek. Miami has also crossed my mind but they get hurricanes don't they?

You will have had enough of the sun after a while as well, four seasons are sound. Not going to agree on this are we mate? Seriously, I've got a mate from London who's married to Singaporean, got married their and spends loads of time there. His Mrs wont move to London. If at any point you do decide to go and live there get in touch with any questions and I'll ask me mate, he's dead staight up and knows loads about that place.

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2010, 10:25:38 am »
Loads of plassy mancs in Singapore as well.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2010, 10:32:00 am »
I heard their urg ing foreigners to take up permanent residence aswell which means changing you nationality, though I think Brits can have duel citizen ship. Not sure how true it is. Singapore I mean, not the Jocks.

Nah. It's PR with no pressure on giving up citizenships.

The jocks wouldn't want us..think we irritated too many of them whilst camped out next door to the royal scots out in Baghram for 2 years..lol
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2010, 10:33:44 am »
You will have had enough of the sun after a while as well, four seasons are sound. Not going to agree on this are we mate? Seriously, I've got a mate from London who's married to Singaporean, got married their and spends loads of time there. His Mrs wont move to London. If at any point you do decide to go and live there get in touch with any questions and I'll ask me mate, he's dead staight up and knows loads about that place.

Okey la. Been in and out of Singapore over the last 10 years on official duties so have some idea what we are getting ourselves into if and when we decided to pack up and move...anyways, at the moment, it's all in the air.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2010, 10:34:04 am »
Loads of plassy mancs in Singapore as well.

They do have hunting season in singapore don't they twice a year?

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2010, 10:44:28 am »
They do have hunting season in singapore don't they twice a year?

I'll be well up for that, give us a shout!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2010, 10:46:12 am »
I'll be well up for that, give us a shout!

Roger that big daddy! :)

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »
I have heard it said by Japanese businessmen who by and large much prefer doing business in China that India retained only the bad aspects of the British empire and they would have the legal legacy at top of that list.

China is the leading light of all that is good in the mystical east. All under heaven now.  ::)

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2010, 03:43:21 pm »
Souxie and the banshie didn't work for me mate..lol...Hong Kong and China are better than all that...

Christine is A perfect song.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2017, 09:22:07 am »
South West Trains rail franchise taken over by Chinese firm MTR in shock announcement

A rail company responsible for some of the busiest services into London will be part-run by a Chinese company after a surprise announcement by the government.

MTR will run South West Trains (SWT) with the giant First Group for seven years from August.

First MTR will take over from Stagecoach, which currently runs SWT services across south-east England to and from London Waterloo. Stagecoach had control of the franchise for 21 years, the BBC reported.

The RMT union said the Chinese state was now set to make "a killing at the British taxpayers' expense".

But the Department for Transport said MTR has experience operating the Hong Kong Metro and was well-placed to deliver “smooth and rapid” journeys for London commuters.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said it was "great news" for rail passengers following the recent announcement of a consultation on the South Eastern franchise.

He said: "First MTR South Western Trains Limited will deliver the improvements that people tell us they want right across the South Western franchise area, from Bristol and Exeter, to Southampton and Portsmouth, to Reading, Windsor and London.

"We are delivering the biggest rail modernisation programme for over a century and this franchise will deliver real changes for passengers, who can look forward to modern trains, faster journeys and a more reliable service."

The Government said the new operators will oversee a £1.2 billion investment to improve journeys for millions of train passengers.

The new franchise will see 22,000 extra seats into London Waterloo each morning peak and 30,000 extra seats each evening peak, as well as a fleet of 90 new trains, providing more space for passengers on Reading, Windsor and London routes.

There will be more frequent and additional services across the franchise, faster journeys across the network and earlier and later trains.

Stagecoach said it was disappointed that it had been unsuccessful in its bid for the new franchise.

Group chief executive Martin Griffiths said: "We are proud to have operated the network under the South West Trains brand for more than 20 years and we are disappointed that we have been unsuccessful in our bid for the new franchise."

FirstGroup chief executive Tim O'Toole said: "We are delighted that our partnership with MTR has been selected by the DfT to run the South Western rail franchise, a key part of the country's railway network which millions of people rely on every day.

"Our successful bid will deliver the tangible improvements that customers and stakeholders have told us they want from this franchise.

"Passengers can look forward to new and better trains, more seats and services, quicker journey times, improved stations and more flexible fare options."

Jeremy Long, chief executive of European Business at MTR Corporation, said: "MTR is known across the world for the excellent quality of its rail services, and we look forward to working with FirstGroup to provide a best-in-class travel experience for passengers in London and the South West.

"Together we will deliver a major programme of upgrades, including improvements to both rail services and customer experience, for passengers travelling across the South Western network."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/south-west-trains-rail-franchise-taken-over-by-chinese-firm-in-shock-announcement-a3499641.html
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2017, 10:16:14 am »
Isn't South Western trains the worst run franchise in the country?  I'm sure many who use the route will gladly welcome their new Chinese overlords.

Merseyrail is by no means perfect but it's a model of a well run franchise compared to others in the country.  It's about as close as you can get to publicly owned these days.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2017, 11:55:44 am »
Isn't South Western trains the worst run franchise in the country?  I'm sure many who use the route will gladly welcome their new Chinese overlords.

Merseyrail is by no means perfect but it's a model of a well run franchise compared to others in the country.  It's about as close as you can get to publicly owned these days.

Are you thinking of Southern?

I know next to nothing about South West, but some of those quotes from MTR and Grayling about modernising are very direct and specific, numbers wise. Hopefully that bodes well. Investment is vital

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2017, 07:57:46 am »
Are you thinking of Southern?

I know next to nothing about South West, but some of those quotes from MTR and Grayling about modernising are very direct and specific, numbers wise. Hopefully that bodes well. Investment is vital

Ah yes, correct. It was Southern I was thinking of. Doubt even China could fix them.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2017, 08:50:04 am »
MTR is a Hong Kong company rather than a mainland Chinese one so not sure why the Standard refers to it as 'Chinese State', it's still mainly owned by the Hong Kong government and is one of the very few public transport systems in the world that turns a profit.

It was founded in 1975 so let's argue it's sorta British ;D

Should be in amazing good hands here.
:D

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2017, 09:47:28 pm »
China is the real life Hunger Games; a collection of mega-cities populated by immense wealth, surrounded by a vastly populated countryside filled with people living on sweet fuck all, run by an all-powerful and immovable elite. Europe isn't perfect but fuck me I'd rather have the freedom to express myself and be able to speak without fear of reprisal.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2017, 02:18:38 am »
MTR is a Hong Kong company rather than a mainland Chinese one so not sure why the Standard refers to it as 'Chinese State', it's still mainly owned by the Hong Kong government and is one of the very few public transport systems in the world that turns a profit.

It was founded in 1975 so let's argue it's sorta British ;D

Should be in amazing good hands here.

As somebody with first-hand experience, having lived and worked in China just across the border from Hong Kong since 2002, I can personally tell you that the efficiency that the MTR system runs at is extremely impressive.
The stations are clean, modern, sleek: the trains frequent and FAST and also clean and SAFE.
Having just returned back to China from a 10 day visit to my sisters in Bebington, and having travelled on merseyrail during my stay, I've got to tell you that UK would need MASSIVE investment to get anywhere close to what HongKong and mainland China people are enjoying.
In China, the big city subway networks and also the High-Speed train network is FABULOUS! Super efficient, clean and CHEAP.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2017, 02:42:04 am »

It's close to nationalised but the nation owning it is the Netherlands.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2017, 09:29:16 am »
Aye I used the MTR to get around Hong Kong the other year. Easy the best train system I've been on.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2017, 11:04:43 am »
Had to use South West Trains for work for over a year, atrocious service, though not on the scale of Southern.

I'm actually encouraged by the idea of MTR taking over, the metro in HK is very well run indeed, would echo Macca's assessment of it.