Author Topic: How do you make Scouse?  (Read 27862 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: How do you make Scouse?
« Reply #80 on: April 6, 2010, 11:42:40 am »
We Scouse we used to have never had consistent ingredients anyway.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2016, 06:26:28 pm »
In Spain,  just gonna introduce my girl to some Scouse,  so was looking for the traditional recipes on here as it's like only the third time I've made it on me tod. Then I saw Billy's last comment so thought I'd bump it. Right time of year after all
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2016, 07:54:50 pm »
Hello Dave, have you moved out there or visiting Vic?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: February 1, 2016, 08:35:16 am »
if you want to impress then you must serve it with picked red cabbage or beetroot or both :D

and crusty bread  :lickin

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 1, 2016, 10:26:03 am »
I always got the impression that Scouse was simply whatever the hell the family could find thrown in a pot with some gravy.  I know the origins are Norwegian and Irish but I'm not sure there's any hard and fast rules when it comes to Scouse stew.

Favourite bit was warming up the leftovers next day for breakfast.  Suck on that, Ready Brek!

EDIT: Maybe this might help? ;)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u0Fn9seb18M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u0Fn9seb18M</a>
« Last Edit: February 1, 2016, 10:27:52 am by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #85 on: February 1, 2016, 10:49:40 am »

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #86 on: February 1, 2016, 01:22:35 pm »

Hmmmmmm, what an interesting day to have it on. Boss scouse and a sound scouse win - Could anyone ask for more on Scouse Day.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #87 on: February 6, 2016, 11:51:09 am »
Thank god it's not the 29th :D It went down pretty well, since I had to improvise with no meat in the house, and it being a sodding bank holiday saturday, yes bank holiday saturday, you heard right!

Yeah John, moved out here. Living in a small place an hour away from Madrid.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 6, 2016, 02:12:51 pm »
Thank god it's not the 29th :D It went down pretty well, since I had to improvise with no meat in the house, and it being a sodding bank holiday saturday, yes bank holiday saturday, you heard right!

Yeah John, moved out here. Living in a small place an hour away from Madrid.

Blind Scouse?

Offline Cletus vanDamme

• Main Stander
« Reply #89 on: February 7, 2016, 09:35:23 am »
If you're using beef in your Scouse then you can't whack beef skirt. Get it from your local butcher or they do it in Morrisons. Never seen it in the Asda, Tesco or Sainsburys though.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #90 on: February 7, 2016, 09:55:32 am »
This is my mum's method and timings which I now use.

I know celery is controversial for some. Bouquet garni are just like little tea bags of herbs, which you fish out at the end - my nan used to tie her own bundles of herbs (thyme and rosemary and stuff), but life's too short. Some people say Scouse doesn't need any herbs, but I think it's what makes my mum's Scouse better than theirs!

Mum's Scouse

1lb diced beef or lamb
1/2lb minced beef
4-5 carrots (diced)
1 small Swede (diced)
1 large onion (finely chopped)
2-3 sticks of celery (cut into 4cm chunks)
6-8 medium sized potatoes (cut into chunks)
Tomato purée
2 bags of bouquet garni
2 pints of good quality beef stock
A good slug of Worcester sauce
Tinned tomatoes if needed

Fry onions until soft, then add mince and meat and brown. Then add stock (couple of pints), carrot and swede, celery, bouquet garni, Worcester sauce, a good squeeze of tomato purée and season well. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 3 hours. If you need to add liquid later on, add a tin of chopped tomatoes. If too much liquid, remove lid for a while. With 1.5 hours to go, add half the potatoes, and then add the rest with an hour to go.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #91 on: February 7, 2016, 10:19:25 am »
Me nan used to make scouse with cheap cuts of lamb(mutton). Instead of beef. It was absolutley superb.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 7, 2016, 10:21:15 am »
This is my mum's method and timings which I now use.

I know celery is controversial for some. Bouquet garni are just like little tea bags of herbs, which you fish out at the end - my nan used to tie her own bundles of herbs (thyme and rosemary and stuff), but life's too short. Some people say Scouse doesn't need any herbs, but I think it's what makes my mum's Scouse better than theirs!

If she used diced lamb, I take it she'd use mince lamb instead of beef?

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 7, 2016, 12:11:20 pm »
I know this splits opinion on everyones wonderful scouse but imo its just another british meal with no thought into the flavours whatsoever. People talk like beetroot or red cabbage is gonna jazz it up. To me its just as boring as cottage pie. I might try and make my own modern twist on scouse. First off garlic is needed
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 7, 2016, 02:14:49 pm »
I know this splits opinion on everyones wonderful scouse but imo its just another british meal with no thought into the flavours whatsoever. People talk like beetroot or red cabbage is gonna jazz it up. To me its just as boring as cottage pie. I might try and make my own modern twist on scouse. First off garlic is needed

Wash your mouth out son. My scouse and cottage pie is both tasty and filling.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #95 on: February 7, 2016, 02:30:48 pm »
haha at last im not alone. scouse, shepards pie, cottage pie i cant think of anything as boring to eat.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 7, 2016, 03:52:25 pm »
If she used diced lamb, I take it she'd use mince lamb instead of beef?

Not necessarily. Not shy about mixing the two.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 7, 2016, 04:26:28 pm »
Not necessarily. Not shy about mixing the two.

Hmmmm...I'm now wondering how that would taste.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 7, 2016, 05:57:57 pm »
Meaty.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 7, 2016, 06:05:13 pm »
Seeing this thread bumped never fails to make me hungry. ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline trinityroad

• Main Stander
« Reply #100 on: February 8, 2016, 12:07:41 pm »

I would say cottage pie is comfort food, not necessarily boring. Depends what you put in the pie. Lea & Perrins and strong ale should be in it. Guinness Foreign Extra goes really well in them.

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #101 on: February 8, 2016, 05:36:44 pm »
Im with the general opinion of lamb, potatoes, carrots, onions and oxo with beetroot and crusty tiger bread, every now and then I like to mix it up and add mushrooms an sweetcorn. Originally named Lob Scouse as you can lob anything into it
“Well to be honest with you, I’ve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from he’s not a proper fighter, is he? He’s basically a bit of a gay fighter as I’ve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 8, 2016, 07:45:48 pm »
Originally named Lob Scouse as you can lob anything into it

Yes and no. Initial statement correct, reason not so much.

The first known use of the term "lobscouse" is dated 1706, according to Webster's dictionary.[1] Smollet refers to "lob's course" in 1750.[2] The roots of the word are unknown,[1] but there are at least three competing theories. It has been suggested that the dish is "almost certainly" of Baltic origin,[3] and labs kauss in Latvian and labas kaušas in Lithuanian both mean "good ladleful".[4] Similar dishes are traditional in countries around the North Sea, such as Norway (lapskaus) and Denmark (skibberlabskovs, meaning "skipper's lobscouse"). Another theory posits a Low German origin from lappen (dewlap) and kaus (bowl).[5] An English origin has also been proposed: through "lout’s course", via "lob’s course" to "lobscouse".[3]

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2017, 06:21:25 pm »
So my local Greene King pub in Nottingham have just launched a 'Best of British' menu that includes something called 'Scouse stew'. I pointed out that was like offering "Vichysoise soup" or "cassoulet stew" but thought I'd try it anyway. It turned out to be some poncy cheffy version. Probably 50% was shin of beef with beautiful and identically shaped chunks of carrot, onion petals and 2, yes 2 cubes of potato. All in a rich gravy. Accompanying this were 4 slices of bread and butter and a small bowl of soft red cabbage in balsamic vinegar with a bay leaf. Where would a chef get that sort of recipe from?
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2017, 10:32:47 am »
So my local Greene King pub in Nottingham have just launched a 'Best of British' menu that includes something called 'Scouse stew'. I pointed out that was like offering "Vichysoise soup" or "cassoulet stew" but thought I'd try it anyway. It turned out to be some poncy cheffy version. Probably 50% was shin of beef with beautiful and identically shaped chunks of carrot, onion petals and 2, yes 2 cubes of potato. All in a rich gravy. Accompanying this were 4 slices of bread and butter and a small bowl of soft red cabbage in balsamic vinegar with a bay leaf. Where would a chef get that sort of recipe from?
Haven't got a clue, but it sounds like something this suave ladykiller might have thought up

If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2017, 10:43:05 am »
Said it in another thread the other week, its well over 10 years since I last had Scouse. I've never made it, always my Mum that did it and not had any since she died.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2017, 12:51:01 pm »
Put the lamb in first, then add onions into a stock.  Leave about 30 mins on low medium heat. Then add the spuds and swede, then the carrots and celery.

Never tried it with beef. Isn't that just stew then?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2017, 05:08:06 pm »
I add my spuds in two batches - some near the beginning that disintegrate and thicken it, then some with an hour to go that remain chunky. Yum.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2017, 05:59:40 pm »
I add my spuds in two batches - some near the beginning that disintegrate and thicken it, then some with an hour to go that remain chunky. Yum.

This is a good idea. I usually chop them into different size so half the spuds will be finely chopped and disintegrate more quickly, and the rest will still be visible lumps. I call mine 'wool stew' because I'm not scouse ;D

It always tastes better the day after to me.

Also I make my own bread when I can and it shits on supermarket bread in terms of quality.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2017, 11:36:25 pm »
This is a good idea. I usually chop them into different size so half the spuds will be finely chopped and disintegrate more quickly, and the rest will still be visible lumps. I call mine 'wool stew' because I'm not scouse ;D

It always tastes better the day after to me.

Also I make my own bread when I can and it shits on supermarket bread in terms of quality.

Red cabbage?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:37:56 pm by Mag Hull »
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2017, 05:22:42 am »
Lobscouse ... not the modern shite....

50g beef dripping or 50ml vegetable oil
750g neck of lamb fillet or shin of beef, cut into rough 2cm cubes
1 large onion, peeled
3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
500g medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
200g dried peas, soaked overnight
A few sprigs of thyme
2 litres beef or lamb stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g pearl barley

Melt the dripping in a heavy-bottomed frying pan, season the meat with salt and pepper and fry on a high heat until nicely coloured. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil, lightly season with salt and pepper and simmer gently for 2-2.5 hours until the meat is tender. That's it. Serve with buttery cabbage or mashed root vegetables.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2017, 10:41:55 am »
Red cabbage?

A spoonful on top if we've got some in.

200g dried peas, soaked overnight

Really?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2017, 11:26:44 am »
Dried peas in Scouse?  Seriously?
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2017, 03:02:13 pm »
Peas  :shocked

:D

There are not many more contentious issues in Liverpool than how to make scouse.
My daughter organized a scouse night during her summer job last year - in one of the backpacking-hostels in town -  and there was murder for days about what to put in and leave out.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2017, 10:23:52 am »
Peas though? That sounds an awful lot like some Wirral witchcraft to me.

you know Paul O'Grady is from over there, right? ;D

No peas round here, though I do use oxo - only thing I buy them for and it's cos me mum always uses them and I'm scared to do it another way. I do use half and half lamb and beef, and weight in meat is matched by weight of spuds, cos it goes to the right consistency - chop them different sizes. the type of spuds is important - king edwards are preferred but maris pipers are alright.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:35 pm »
Half a carrot? Two and a quarter potatoes? What the fuck?

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2017, 09:17:16 pm »
Half a carrot? Two and a quarter potatoes? What the fuck?

Ha ha - what can you do with the other half - please don't answer :D

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2021, 11:21:56 am »

Making it for the first time in ages (years). This is a top tip - cheers  :lickin

Although no swedes, turnips, celery and tomatoes in my version

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2021, 12:26:25 pm »
Fry beef in flour in Worcestershire sauce, then add onions to fry, then lash this into the pot with chopped carrots and spuds

Little salt, little pepper, beef stock or Oxo or whatever I have around. Maybe a squirt of tomato puree, but no more than that. Sometimes tart it up with thyme and or basil

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2021, 02:56:01 pm »
Fry beef in flour in Worcestershire sauce, then add onions to fry, then lash this into the pot with chopped carrots and spuds

Little salt, little pepper, beef stock or Oxo or whatever I have around. Maybe a squirt of tomato puree, but no more than that. Sometimes tart it up with thyme and or basil
Are you James Martin in disguise?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.