Author Topic: Jermaine Pennant  (Read 72930 times)

Offline Madigano

• Kopite
Re: Jermaine Pennant
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2008, 03:11:33 pm »
good attitude and a good lad, honest guvenor, an that'll be £4m to you mate, how would you like to pay
Dya reckon we would get 4mil for him??

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2008, 03:19:23 pm »
Lucky to get 3, IMO.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2008, 04:56:38 pm »
Lucky to get 3, IMO.

in january with him able to talk to anyone he wants for a free move in the summer

very mate very
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline harrytrow

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2008, 05:39:50 pm »
Dya reckon we would get 4mil for him??
No not at all. was just highlightin a scene of a second hand car salesman
How come pointed questions recieve blunt answers

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2008, 05:42:39 pm »
Says it all that not even Newcastle or West Ham will touch him.

Come on Ince, do the right thing, buy the tit.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2009, 09:05:20 am »
What a flippin' idiot.

Offline Don White

• Main Stander
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2009, 09:25:22 am »
What a flippin' idiot.

Just sour grapes me says.  Sly said he had a dig a Dirk.
Maybe that's why he mentioned the robot. Dirk is a robot that works on Duracell  :D

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2009, 09:28:34 am »
Just sour grapes me says.  Sly said he had a dig a Dirk.
Maybe that's why he mentioned the robot. Dirk is a robot that works on Duracell  :D

Definitely had dig at Dirk but if he had 0.001% of Dirk's intelligence, he would have been a successful player.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2009, 09:32:39 am »
Pennant is spot on about the Robot comments ask Crouch ;)

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2009, 09:39:16 am »
The Dutchman's progress up the Liverpool goal chart is timely given the criticism that came his way this weekend from Jermaine Pennant, of all people. The undistinguished winger, now of Real Zaragoza, blamed Benítez's methodical approach for his own failure at Anfield, adding that the £10m spent on Kuyt ensured he was always guaranteed a first-team place. "I will not talk too much about what he said," Benítez responded last night. "Kuyt can do his talking on the pitch. His record is out there. I don't need to say anything else."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/29/dirk-kuyt-liverpool-champions-league

Pennant's played under Wenger and Benitez, who both let him ago.

Apparently that their fault, not his   ::)

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2009, 09:42:47 am »
And to think that so many fans wanted Pennant to be given more chances in the first team...Pennant does not help defensively and is extremely inneffective going forward. His only positive is his crossing but unless you have someone like Crouch up front Pennant is useless. No goals, no penetration in the box, little flair. Just dribble and cross, dribble and cross, dribble and cross...

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2009, 09:45:46 am »
It was Pennant who decided he'd rather sit on the sidelines than move. We had offers he just wouldn't go.

Turned out to be a very expensive deal for us, where as similar players (Crouch, Bellamy) have been moved on at a profit.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2009, 09:59:24 am »
expensive mistake by rafa this signing..
hope rafa can learn from this
White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2009, 11:03:04 am »

Rafa made the assumption that if he didn't play he'd want to move on and we'd get some money for him. This worked for Crouch and Bellamy. Guess Rafa just didn't understand the mentality of the player - but then who does. He's nuts.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2009, 11:14:37 am »
Kuyt costing £10m had no bearing on YOU costing £7m.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2009, 11:25:49 am »
Pennant wanted to be a really really good winger but was not and was not prepared to modify his all round game to make up for this. His outburst is just sour grapes.

Derek Kaut is not the worlds best winger or striker but his all round game is vastly better than Pennants.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Don White

• Main Stander
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2009, 11:33:57 am »
Derek Kaut is not the worlds best winger or striker but his all round game is vastly better than Pennants.

Maybe not the world's best but all i know is last year he scored as much as shrek and more than recognized strikers like ade and RVP
http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2009, 11:38:49 am »
You sound like you should be on TalkSport.

When did we sign Pennant? 2006 was it? And to question whether Rafa will learn from it? Dear me. Has he made any worse signings since? Maybe you can answer your own patronising question?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2009, 11:40:14 am »
Maybe if Pennant wasn't such a retard and could actually think for himself then he wouldn't of needed instructions all the time. The idea is when someone with the knowledge of a Wenger or Benitez tells you something it is supposed to stick. They shouldn't have to repeat it over and over again unless you are a brainless twat who thinks you know better.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline desikasanova

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2009, 01:38:24 pm »
What a fucking nob. Where are you now Pennant?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2009, 01:50:32 pm »
It's hardly surprising.

2 years ago I remember an interview with Ricardo Quaresma when he said that a main reason he turned down the opportunity to join us was because Rafa had explained to him that he wanted him to play in a certain way and a different style than his natural one he was playing at Porto at the time.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2009, 02:08:23 pm »
It's hardly surprising.

2 years ago I remember an interview with Ricardo Quaresma when he said that a main reason he turned down the opportunity to join us was because Rafa had explained to him that he wanted him to play in a certain way and a different style than his natural one he was playing at Porto at the time.
And where is Ricardo Quaresma, now, I wonder?

Offline otitito

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2009, 02:28:54 pm »
What a fucking nob. Where are you now Pennant?
Enjoying sunny Spain spending his Euros, I guess.

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2009, 02:43:43 pm »
You sound like you should be on TalkSport.

When did we sign Pennant? 2006 was it? And to question whether Rafa will learn from it? Dear me. Has he made any worse signings since? Maybe you can answer your own patronising question?

and where do i come across as patronising?
no matter how good you are, there is always room for improvement and hopefully rafa will sign more torres, reina than pennant, bellamy etc..

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2009, 02:54:32 pm »
no matter how good you are, there is always room for improvement and hopefully rafa will sign more torres, reina than pennant, bellamy etc..

OK.  So the lesson is to sign players who do well, and not to sign players who dont do well.

If only Rafa had realised that sooner.

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2009, 02:57:24 pm »
It's patronising to say "hope rafa can learn from this". As if you think he's a decent manager but you know better than him when it comes to what players he should sign.

Didn't we make money on Bellamy? Do you think he's such a bad player? Why bracket him with Pennant? Now that is a TalkSport type comment.

My back to my previous point... since Rafa signed Pennant in the summer of 2006, do you think he's made any bad signings? Do you think he's learning from his mistakes or are you still not sure?

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2009, 02:58:30 pm »
It's hardly surprising.

So that was a good result for all concerned then.  Rafa told him what he'd want, and he said he didnt want to do it (or else thought he couldnt).

I assume that Rafa had a similar conversation with Pennant, and Pennant told Rafa that he'd be happy to play as instructed.  Either he was less honest than Quaresma, or less aware of his own limitations.

Offline AMP

• Anny Roader
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2009, 03:12:33 pm »
Please explain why 5 pages have been wasted on this guy?

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2009, 03:13:37 pm »
OK.  So the lesson is to sign players who do well, and not to sign players who dont do well.

If only Rafa had realised that sooner.

now thats patronising

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2009, 03:16:07 pm »
It's patronising to say "hope rafa can learn from this". As if you think he's a decent manager but you know better than him when it comes to what players he should sign.

Didn't we make money on Bellamy? Do you think he's such a bad player? Why bracket him with Pennant? Now that is a TalkSport type comment.

My back to my previous point... since Rafa signed Pennant in the summer of 2006, do you think he's made any bad signings? Do you think he's learning from his mistakes or are you still not sure?

yes i think bellamy was a bad signing and we got to make a profit cos he came to us on the cheap..
can i mention babel or will that once again incur your wrath?

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2009, 03:16:40 pm »
now thats patronising
No it's not, it's sarcasm. You're not having a good day.

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2009, 03:22:11 pm »
No it's not, it's sarcasm. You're not having a good day.

it was meant to be sarcasm btw..
thanks for explaining

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2009, 03:25:30 pm »
yes i think bellamy was a bad signing and we got to make a profit cos he came to us on the cheap..
can i mention babel or will that once again incur your wrath?
He was pretty cheap, but he was no disaster. But if you make a profit on someone, how can they be a flop?

As for Babel, I agree he's been disappointing. But do you blame Rafa for that? Babel looked a good player in his first season and seems to have gone backwards.

All managers make signings that do not make it. Ferguson spent £28m on Veron, £30m on Anderson and Nani, £30.75m on Berbatov. £17m on Valencia. Has he learnt from his mistakes?

Wenger spent £10m on Jeffers. Mourinho spent £13m on Ferreira and £21m on SWP. Chelsea also bought Mutu for £22m. Did they all learn from their mistakes?

As Jack Slater says, managers don't know how the players are going to be. Just like you don't. But they have a better idea than most.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2009, 03:50:02 pm »

I'm not trying to be insulting, but that comment really strikes me as ignorant.

When Rafa arrived, apart from Gerrard and Sami/Carra, who was any good? Almost the whole team needed replacing, and on a budget of approx £10m per year. Rafa had a strategy of buying players who wouldn't win the premiership but would do a job and he could make a profit on, which is why I grouped Bellamy, Crouch and Pennant together.

We paid over the odds on Pennant, Rafa admitted it at the time, but we needed a right winger and not many were available. The only 'fault', if you can call it that, that Rafa made is thinking Pennant would agree to be sold rather than sit on the bench and wind his contract down.

It really is gauling that people don't appreciate how shrewd Rafa has been to get us where we are. Do you really think he'd rather buy Pennant than better wingers if he had the money?

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »

Exactly, he didn't have to chance to go out and buy top players right away like managers do at city and chelsea. He had to prove his worth by buying and using cheaper inferior players as stop gaps, while at the same time trying to build up a decent sized budget to enable him to buy players like Torres.

Not easy, especially considering the boardroom shite while he has been at the club.

Offline Bobilino

• Obvious troll.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »
Poor, poor buy. For a manager as meticulous as Rafa, I'm surprised he wasn't put off by the player's background and character - even with the lack of money and wing options available to him. The lad was always a waster.

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2009, 04:01:34 pm »
I'm not trying to be insulting, but that comment really strikes me as ignorant.
You are correct - it was ignorant and showed a complete lack of understanding and appreciation of the job Rafa has done.

Hope rafabenihill can learn from this.

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2009, 04:04:33 pm »
pennant is a bad buy, no?
can rafa improve although he is already good? yes

why is rawk such a complicated place?

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2009, 04:04:50 pm »

Well he won't be signing Robbie Keane again in a hurry Greg   :D

Anyway, close the thread or move it to the "General Sport And Hasbeens And Neverwillbe" thread please Mods. Gobshite of a lad and a waste of LFC main thread space.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2009, 04:05:47 pm »
Poor, poor buy. For a manager as meticulous as Rafa, I'm surprised he wasn't put off by the player's background and character - even with the lack of money and wing options available to him. The lad was always a waster.
Bellamy had a similar character profile to Pennant though, was it a mistake to buy him as well?