Author Topic: Munich 1958  (Read 63715 times)

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
Re: Munich 1958
« Reply #40 on: February 6, 2008, 08:30:35 am »
R.I.P to all who suffered.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #41 on: February 6, 2008, 08:41:52 am »
Justice for Munich?

Sorry - what does that mean exactly?

Justice for Hillsborough - we all know exactly what that means. Justice for the 96 has never materialised. Nobody was held accountable for the murder of our fans that day. Justice is still being sought. Duckenfield ducked.

But Justice for Munich? For what exactly? It was a terrible accident. Where is the injustice to be able to fight for Justice?

Just doesn't sit right reading that statement.

Fully understand the post made, and who posted it, I just don't understand that line. sorry.

Simple really.......

What is clear from the above is the depth of injustice endured by the bereaved and survivors of Munich, not least Captains Thain and Rayment and their families who fought for so long to clear their names. The parallels with Hillsborough are clear, right down to the failure to call witnesses and the review and alteration of statements.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 6, 2008, 08:42:37 am »
R.I.P. to all who died in that terrible tragedy.

YNWA

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #43 on: February 6, 2008, 08:43:44 am »
Justice for Munich?

Justice for Hillsborough - we all know exactly what that means. Justice for the 96 has never materialised. Nobody was held accountable for the murder of our fans that day. Justice is still being sought. Duckenfield ducked.

But Justice for Munich? For what exactly? It was a terrible accident. Where is the injustice to be able to fight for Justice?

Fully understand the post made, and who posted it, I just don't understand that line. sorry.

Today isn't the appropriate time to get into the detail of Phil's post. With it being the anniversary its sufficient to pay respects to those that died. There's a thread in the Hillsborough forum you can use if you want to debate details within the article, although not today please.

Cheers.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 6, 2008, 09:13:32 am »
R.I.P

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #45 on: February 6, 2008, 09:17:15 am »
Justice for Munich?

Both tradgedies were the victims of official cover ups where the blame was laid at the feet of innocent people.

RIP....YNWA
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #46 on: February 6, 2008, 09:30:41 am »
R I P
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline shanklygateslfc

• Kopite
« Reply #47 on: February 6, 2008, 09:35:12 am »
R.I.P to all those who lost their lives on that fateful day.

YNWA
NO ONE PERSON IS BIGGER THAN THIS FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!!

YNWA - Justice for the 96 - R.I.P.  Never Forgotten, Forever with us.

Offline James--5Star--Reds

• Anny Roader
Re: Munich Remembered
« Reply #48 on: February 6, 2008, 10:47:24 am »
RIP

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: February 6, 2008, 10:52:08 am »
RIP

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 6, 2008, 10:52:41 am »
hear hear. Death highlights the shallowness of football rivalry. Only fools hang on to it in times like this.

Offline culbs

• Kopite
  • 5 is more than 3
« Reply #51 on: February 6, 2008, 10:53:58 am »
RIP

May you never be forgotton.
"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage" - Rafael Benitez

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #52 on: February 6, 2008, 10:54:34 am »
Its only a game.

RIP
Justice for the 96.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #53 on: February 6, 2008, 10:55:03 am »
God bless Duncan Edwards, He could have been Manchesters very own Billy Liddell.

Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline tobyo

• Main Stander
« Reply #54 on: February 6, 2008, 10:57:40 am »
Its only a game.

RIP

Its not though is it? For some of us its a lot more than that.

Offline SquirmyRooter

• RoomySquirter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 6, 2008, 10:59:14 am »

RIP The Busby Babes
« Last Edit: February 6, 2008, 11:10:22 am by Armin »
Insight, Perspective, Objectivity.

No Delusions Here.

Offline Peeker

• Blames Rafa for fucking up Johnson deal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
« Reply #56 on: February 6, 2008, 11:01:44 am »
Think a lot of people forget that Matt Busby IS connected with Liverpool Football Club, so I would hope that a minutes silence is observed by everyone everywhere.

Offline SquirmyRooter

• RoomySquirter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 6, 2008, 11:02:51 am »
Think a lot of people forget that Matt Busby IS connected with Liverpool Football Club, so I would hope that a minutes silence is observed by everyone everywhere.

There won't be a minutes silence anywhere but Old trafford I think, and the England game tonight, i believe 4 of the players who died were England regulars.
Insight, Perspective, Objectivity.

No Delusions Here.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #58 on: February 6, 2008, 11:04:14 am »
First off the article quoted in the opening thread is available in full on the Rawk opinion page.

Secondly, today is the anniversary and should be respected as such. It's not the day for arguing over whats gone on since.

If you want to pay your respects please use the thread in opinion. Some of these posts will be moved over there.

Thanks.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #59 on: February 6, 2008, 11:04:16 am »
I've seen and read and heard a lot about the Munich air disaster over the last few days. The bravery and dignity of men like Harry Gregg is both moving and inspirational. I never ever want to see Manchester United win anything, or succeed at anything! I want it to rain over Old Trafford every day, but I also want these people to be remembered with respect at grounds all over the country this week.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 6, 2008, 11:12:25 am »
RIP to those who died in the plane crash.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #61 on: February 6, 2008, 11:13:28 am »
RIP
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #62 on: February 6, 2008, 11:15:54 am »
It's times like this petty differences should be forgotten....yes both clubs have their knobheads, but that doesn't mean we all are. The usual suspects are on posting their "Inflammatory posts" trying to stir shit up, but i think on the main the more mature of us realise that human beings lost their lives, and families lost loved ones.

so show some fuckin respect

R.I.P        Y.N.W.A
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #63 on: February 6, 2008, 11:25:50 am »
This is a topic to show a little respect for the men who died in the Munich Disaster. It's not an opportunity to score cheap points at the expense of The Corporation. Save that for another day, and indeed another forum.

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #64 on: February 6, 2008, 11:44:55 am »
Like a few others on here, my Dad told me about the terrible events of 50 years ago and how shocked and saddened everyone was in Liverpool and throughout the country.  I have read quite a bit on Munich over the past 25 years, but there were a few things that I did not know or had forgotten, so it was as informative as emotional.  Thanks for the post Phil.

At a time when all football fans must start coming together for the future benefit of the game in general, there is no greater reminder that we are all of the same family, whatever club we support.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #65 on: February 6, 2008, 11:45:02 am »
My arl fella also says (and he's died in the wool LFC as well) Duncan Edwards could have been the best british player there was.
Then you listen to the dignity of the likes of Charlton and Harry Gregg as well.
May they all rest in peace.

Offline NickoH

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 6, 2008, 12:20:44 pm »
An Excellent Arguement, well put. I'd rather stay and kick against the pricks thanks.

Did you actually read BHB's posts ?

If he was a friend of mine I wouldn't be sticking up for him, quite the opposite.

And -

This is a topic to show a little respect for the men who died in the Munich Disaster. It's not an opportunity to score cheap points at the expense of The Corporation. Save that for another day, and indeed another forum.

Offline squishy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #67 on: February 6, 2008, 12:37:41 pm »
jockies scar : you can have your opinions mate, but if people want to pay there respects on the anniversery of a terrible tragedy who the fuck are you to have a go????

Offline Jockies Car

• RAOTL TWAOTL
  • Kopite
« Reply #68 on: February 6, 2008, 12:38:45 pm »
jockies scar : you can have your opinions mate, but if people want to pay there respects on the anniversery of a terrible tragedy who the fuck are you to have a go????

I think the point is that I CANT have my opinions.

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #69 on: February 6, 2008, 12:38:46 pm »
As I come from a family of egg chasers, I've never been told anything about what happened. Today I have been watching programs about the disaster on BBC's iplayer and found it very emotional.

Thanks Phil for posting this article, it's yet more information I never knew about. RIP the Busby Babes and all who died.

And to those arguing in this thread - take it somewhere else eh?

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #70 on: February 6, 2008, 12:51:39 pm »
I think the point is that I CANT have my opinions.

Don't be such a drama queen for fucks sake. No-one's stopping you having your opinions just asking you not to use this thread to voice them. Is that such a big ask?  If you want your say try here:

6 pages of debate

or contribute here.

No shortage of debate or contrasting opinions. But using the one thread on this site where people have chosen to record their respect or memories of the tragedy to climb on your free speech soapbox and call their sentiments into question is low. You don't know them and they don't know you so if you've nothing to contribute just stay out.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #71 on: February 6, 2008, 01:29:48 pm »
An excellent article, full of stuff I didn't know, or only half knew.

Some good contributions too from many people, including the United lad.

Given his young age, it's amazing to think that Duncan Edwards, had he lived, could have been playing alongside Best and Law as well as Charlton.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #72 on: February 6, 2008, 01:48:49 pm »
Great post. Thanks for the link to the Mike Kemble site as well - the research that went into his piece about the disaster is phenomenal. A fascinating read. Go there if you've got a spare half hour.

The BBC 4 Nation on Film programme about the crash (repeated tonight, but available on the BBC Sport website too) was fabulous too, even the two old dears who were like elderly mournful female versions of the Chuckle Brothers. There's a clip of the United dressing room after the match against Wednesday, their first following the crash. The haunted, glassy looks in the eyes of Harry Gregg and Bill Foulkes, the only two survivors who played, tell their own story of what those men had experienced.

Anyone who loves football mourns that day and what was lost.

Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline cal_liverpoolfc

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @cal190691
« Reply #73 on: February 6, 2008, 02:17:32 pm »
great point
"Nah nah nah, there's no rule book. Show me the rule book"

Offline cal_liverpoolfc

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @cal190691
« Reply #74 on: February 6, 2008, 02:18:18 pm »
R.I.P Busy babes

YNWA
"Nah nah nah, there's no rule book. Show me the rule book"

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #75 on: February 6, 2008, 02:58:14 pm »

I visited Anfield in the aftermath of Hillsborough and queued for hours like everyone else.
While the queue snaked along Priory Road a van stopped opposite The Arkles and a woman got out of the drivers seat,4 lads got out of the back. They had Man Utd scarves on and the woman was carrying a bunch of red roses.
They were standing looking at the size of the queue and obviously debating how long it would take to get into Anfield.
They approached the part of the line I was in and asked if we would take the flowers in for them. The woman explained that they had been the day before but after queing for 4 hours had to get to work.

2 of the lads gave me their scarves and asked if I would tie them on The Kop.
The flowers on the pitch were almost to The Anfield Rd goalmouth by this time and nobody else was allowed onto The Kop as it was completely full of scarves etc.

I laid our flowers and scarves together and noticed a few Man Utd scarves already in there.
I remember thinking at the time if things would change because of this.
The answer as we all know is that it has gone worse if anything.

That's something I remember very clearly - there were many many Man Utd fans at Anfield after Hillsborough and they showed their respects. We owe it to those who died at Hillsborough to give the same respect to the United players who perished in Munich. Any dislike we may have for United should extend to the football pitch and no further.

There are too many fans on both sides who choose to forget the solidarity we showed to United after Munich and they showed to us after Hillsborough.

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: February 6, 2008, 04:10:19 pm »
RIP

I don't want to say too much as I don't know too much about the subject and it's a very sensitive subject. But times you just have to look passed rivalry and football, and you have to realise there are things in this world that are much more important. Rest in peace.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2008, 04:32:51 pm by MEPA »

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
« Reply #77 on: February 6, 2008, 05:52:13 pm »
Antoin Murphy from Dublin wrote this in today's Irish Times ... it reminds us that the majority of those who died were not directly associated with Man Utd ... and how long term was the impact of the disaster:

Many people remember Kennedy's assassination in Dallas. My memory, indeed my nightmare, was that afternoon in Munich on February 6th, 1958, when, in the words of Frank Taylor, "a team died". That was the afternoon when the horrible news came through to our home that the plane carrying the Manchester United team, the famous Busby Babes, had crashed in Munich.

My father was the chief sports reporter with Independent Newspapers at the time. His name was WP Murphy, affectionately known to many soccer supporters as Waste Paper Murphy.

This was Dublin of the 50s when wit was one of the few assets that kept people laughing as the economy moved through the throes of a frightful recession marked by annual rates of emigration of 60,000. Few people had televisions but soccer was followed with great passion.

Manchester United, then as today, had a huge support base among Irish supporters. Soccer was going through a high in Dublin at that time for, the year before, there had been the famous 1-1 draw against the might of England at Dalymount Park, a game which Ireland should have won but for Johnny Atyeo's last-minute goal to draw the game for England - my father describing the after-effects of this goal with the line "the silence could be heard in O'Connell Street".

He had regularly travelled to Old Trafford to report on United and was a good friend of Sir Matt Busby and his Welsh-born assistant, Jimmy Murphy. More particularly, he was a good friend of all the English journalists aboard that fatal flight.

These were colleagues whom he regularly met on his travels. Indeed, in the early 1950s I have memories of him heading off for matches in England laden down with brown paper parcels tied up with string. These I discovered contained the finest meat from Buckley's of Moore Street which he brought over for his journalistic friends who were still enduring food rationing across the water.

The journalists liked to travel at the back of the plane, apparently to be close to the bar, and it was that part of the plane that took the full brunt of the crash, with the result that eight out of the 11 journalists on board died.

They included such well-known figures as Frank Swift, the former Manchester City and England goalkeeper recycled as a journalist, Alf Clarke of the Manchester Evening Chronicle, Don Davies of the Manchester Guardian and the famous Henry Rose of the Daily Express.

I remember meeting most of them in the press box in Dalymount Park as they typed out their stories and rang them through to their offices. Rose was an incredible extrovert. I remember crowds of Dubliners milling around the press box after games and giving Henry "the bird". Henry would rise and, like a conductor, direct the noise of the crowd. Ironically, Henry was a non-drinker but he still sat with his colleagues at the back of the plane.

As the names of the journalists killed in the crash came through, my father felt their losses acutely but there was one name missing, that of his very good friend, Frank Taylor, who reported for the News Chronicle and Daily Dispatch. His name did not appear among the survivors.

There was, however, a mysterious name, that of Andrew MacDonald, listed as a survivor. No one knew who he was. Was he a member of the crew or a Manchester United supporter?

It transpired that Frank Taylor, when brought to the hospital had, in his confused state, given his son's name, Andrew MacDonald, and the German doctors recorded him under that name. When the news filtered through that Frank, although badly injured, was alive, it was one of the rare pieces of good news of that harrowing week.

Frank, who spent many months in hospital, would later write a book, The Day a Team Died. In a way it was the wrong title because it was not just the team but nearly the whole of the Manchester soccer journalistic corps that died also.

It was a frightful week in that cold month of February 1958. There was to be good news later in 1958 as Northern Ireland reached the quarter-finals of the World Cup in Sweden with one of the Munich escapees, Harry Gregg (who rescued a number of people including a baby from the wreckage of the plane), playing in goal for them.

My father was one of two journalists - the other being Malcolm Brodie of the Belfast Telegraph - with the team. I remember him describing the touring party, saying that it consisted of the team, a couple of reserves, the manager, the masseur, two journalists and a couple of supporters. They would all travel in the same bus together across Sweden - quite a contrast to the fleets of planes accompanying World Cup squads today.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2008, 06:22:55 pm by PhilScraton »
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline terrymac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #78 on: February 6, 2008, 06:04:50 pm »
Bought Frank Taylors book "the day a team died" a long time ago--really hit home with me.

Had a fascination with Duncan Edwards from me dad telling me about him --seemed like a monster.
Very sad
RIP
"Magna est veritas et prevalebit"   JFT96

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 6, 2008, 06:28:58 pm »
Days like these make the rivalry just fade into insignificance.  Hearing the stories of how fans used to be in those days and the help and support that came from the whole of football including Liverpool F.C and Shanks really makes me nostalgic for an era that I'll never know.

Rival fans seem to be more intent on hating for the sake of it rather than the football involved.  Today lets remember the football and those that sadly passed away. 

My utmost respect and RIP. 

Who says fatties can't play football.......