Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 274035 times)

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
paulaner beer is top class,anyone know if it can be bought in ireland? its brewed in munich i think?
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
As long as it's stronger than 5% i'll drink it.

I never look at whats in it!

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The best beers in the world are defiantly the Belgian beers fantastic taste all have there own glasses the is a are in Oustend that has over 100 different brews all with there own glasses like going to heaven and filling your boots
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Pheeny

The best beers in the world are defiantly the Belgian beers fantastic taste all have there own glasses the is a are in Oustend that has over 100 different brews all with there own glasses like going to heaven and filling your boots
reading that I'd say you'd been drinking some of it tonight. :P

Offline Rafas_Barmy_Army

• Legacy Fan
  • Its rainin sideways.
i only drink bottles of Becks when am out BUT i always wipe the top of the neck b4 i put my mouth anywhere near it coz of the horror stories i have heard about wt happens in the cellars! Goes for cans i have bought aswell
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan

That brings back horrible memories of trying to travel back from Anderlecht. Thinking about it makes me feel sick.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Pheeny

Reminds me of a few beers with you.

;D but we drank the triple and not the double...

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
;D but we drank the triple and not the double...

Aye in the middle of the afternoon if i remember rightly.

Pheeny

Aye in the middle of the afternoon if i remember rightly.
about the same time a text from Mushy saying 1-0 ;)

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can't go wrong.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Pheeny

but is cider, beer...

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Can't go wrong.

Bulmers and Magners are both fucking shite. Simple as.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Belgian beer is shite and I dont care what anyone says.
Blasphemer!!!

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
Almost all the ones I'd recommend already seem to have been mentioned. Erdinger, Hoegaarden, Grimbergen. Trappist Beer of course. I quite like Duvel although I seem to get hangovers from it which I don't from the others.

When out and unable to get any of these I tend to have bottled Mexican beers like Sol or Corona. Anyone ever had a Michelada?

Offline kiwimark

• Kopite
German beer rocks.  Went to Oktoberfest a few years back, sunk about 9 or 10 steins, was hammer as all hell, managed to crawl home and when i woke up expected to to have a jack hammer in my head, but was a bit de-hydrated, but that was it...in fact was back drinking again before noon......Great stuff!

In Oz and NZ starting to get a few micro-breweries that are finally getting more popular.  They tend to be way better than the average beer that is put out as well.....

hoonin

My brother in law, a chef who spent some time in Germany, told me some years ago about the German Purity Law. Apparently, the Germans take their beer very seriously, and don't take kindly to additives and preservatives.

Absolutely correct. Its the Reinheitsgebot and I believe its actually older than the nation of Germany itself (Germany used to be made up of individual and independent regions previously, I think?).

In addition to the ingredients you mention, also keep an eye out for Hopfenextract (or Hops Extract!), which is a very sublte sign that the brewer is deviating from the original script. It should be hops, not extract of hops!

on a side not if you like White beers, Hoegarrden and Kronenburg Blanc, the new Tea Factory on Wood Street has just had a refurb and sells something called Pauliner White Beer - gorgeous stuff!

Pauliner are a renowned Bayerisch brauhaus, along with Erdinger, but as with nearly all German brewers, their target market is first the local region, 2nd the rest of the nation and then 3rd the rest of the world. As such, their beer does not travel well, if at all. Its nice to taste these different beers in the UK, but its a shame they are a pale shadow of what is bottled and sold locally :( Had an Edinger in the Ship & Mitre on Dale St a while back and while the taste was there, it was really gassy due to it coming from draft rather than the bottle. I guess that goes someway to explaining why things like Oktoberfest are so popular, because you need to be local to the brewery of the beer you are drinking to appreciate how good German ale can be.

Someone name me some decent German ale that they'll sell in the Asda then, and I'll give it a try.

Becks is my favourite lager, but I bet the Germans probably think its piss....

Becks sells well in the garages alongside the local brews, but its almost non existent in bars/restaurants. Germany produces (I think) about 70% of the volume of beer consumed in Europe, but most of it is sold in the brewerys surrounding areas (see last answer), so big name brands rarely do well. Those are the ones that are normally exported to others countries, like our hell hole!

As for drinking good beer - forget German..... go to Belgium :)

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Can someone recommend me some good ciders?

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!

are you 14? ;D
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
Best bevie BAR NONE! is Erdinger, its a cloudy wheet beer, FUKIN spot on!

Erdinger has a reputation as being probably the worst Weißbier brewed in Bavaria. Paulaner Weißbier almost as bad.

Can't blame you for drinking it, mind, given most of the wretched stuff served in the UK.

Weihenstephan, Franziskaner or Schneider Weisse are decent Weißbiers.
DAMMIT!

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
Absolutely correct. Its the Reinheitsgebot and I believe its actually older than the nation of Germany itself (Germany used to be made up of individual and independent regions previously, I think?).

You are correct. The Reinheitsgebot was firstly a Bavarian law - it dates from 1516. Germany became a unified nation in 1871.

Pauliner are a renowned Bayerisch brauhaus, along with Erdinger, but as with nearly all German brewers, their target market is first the local region, 2nd the rest of the nation and then 3rd the rest of the world. As such, their beer does not travel well, if at all. Its nice to taste these different beers in the UK, but its a shame they are a pale shadow of what is bottled and sold locally :( Had an Edinger in the Ship & Mitre on Dale St a while back and while the taste was there, it was really gassy due to it coming from draft rather than the bottle. I guess that goes someway to explaining why things like Oktoberfest are so popular, because you need to be local to the brewery of the beer you are drinking to appreciate how good German ale can be.

PaulAner (note the a :)) are one of six breweries in the city of Munich, and actually they don't enjoy a great reputation here, possibly because they do try and export their beer (I remember there was a Paulaner Bierhalle at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town) rather than concentrating on the local market. Augustiner, which does just that, is much more popular here. Amazingly, in this day and age, it doesn't spend a single cent on advertising, and instead relies entirely on word of mouth.

Paulaner is a major sponsor of FC Bayern - the beer you get in the Allianz Arena on a matchday is Paulaner.
DAMMIT!

Offline thegaffer69

• Anny Roader
  • look out hes a spider pig
Best bevie BAR NONE! is Erdinger, its a cloudy wheet beer, FUKIN spot on!

best place to get it is the Fly in the Loaf on hardman street, however the Dug-out by the adelphi does it by bottle, also the Asda does the bottles.

am also quite partial to the Old cains raison beer from the Tap :hally

I agree Erdinger is the best i have tried for a while, also you can get this from the ship and mitre on Dale Street which does only guest type ale and serves the likes of warseteiner and cheery beer.

Offline Beni

• The Original Grass
  • Legacy Fan

White Lightning.... ;)
I must be getting old-because I am a Grandad.....

BAN HARPER

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
As for drinking good beer - forget German..... go to Belgium :)

Don't agree but I am biased ;) Both countries and the Czechs have the best beers IMO.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can anyone recommend good German beers from Lidl? All the off licences around here stock the usual muck, feel like trying something different

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
It sure is, Terry, it sure is. ;)
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
It sure is, Terry, it sure is. ;)
I'll have to organise a little working holiday to Belgium, soon.  ;)

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Tried it.

Not bad at all.

Oh, you'll like frosty jacks and a good game of drink the difference

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
I'll have to organise a little working holiday to Belgium, soon.  ;)
Pay me a visit whenever you're in West-Flanders (Bruges = capital).
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Belgian beers are the best seems to be the general consensus on here.

I would agree

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop

Weihenstephan, Franziskaner or Schneider Weisse are decent Weißbiers.

Very good taste there.

Would recommend all three highly. Would also suggest Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen as a very decent drink. All four are available bottled in the UK. Chill well.

Top tip: keep a decent sized glass in the fridge. Weissbiers are best drunk from chilled receptacles.

And if you're after something different try Budweiser Budvar's new dark ale they're selling by bottle. And if you like Belgian Witbier, the glorious Bier Blanche de Namur is now available in the UK.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Oh, you'll like frosty jacks and a good game of drink the difference

:D

Never had that.

Will give it a try.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Can anyone recommend good German beers from Lidl? All the off licences around here stock the usual muck, feel like trying something different

Pop down to Lidl and write a quick list of what they've got on offer - post it here and the RAWK Beer Committee will then pass judgement for you.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
not from lidl, but aldi.

can recommend Sainte Etienne belgium larger (rebadged imported stella) 4x500 cans £2.70
and also staroslav czech larger 90p 500ml bottle

also highly recommend Samuel adams boston larger, that i picked up from sainsbury's. Superb beerfrom the US!!!!!! :D

not tried Erdinger yet...

slightly regret buying those 60 Stella's for £20 now, not high on flavour, but ok as a thirst quencher i suppose..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:54:05 pm by Paul_h »

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Pop down to Lidl and write a quick list of what they've got on offer - post it here and the RAWK Beer Committee will then pass judgement for you.

Will do, just though someone might have a recommendation off hand