Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 868154 times)

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7440 on: February 23, 2018, 08:43:01 am »
Good choice!

Hows the camera? Manual mode is supposed to be awesome on the v30. It has a 1.7 aperture, which is great. One of the few phones still coming with OIS too.

Planning to get it to replace my older LG G- flex 2.

Honestly, I haven't used it that much yet. Seems great though, and the video options are really good. It's very, very quick, I will say that.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7441 on: February 23, 2018, 09:33:35 am »
I'm letting my contract run out on my S7 and getting..........sod all! Fuck em, £40+ a month for nothing really that new. I think I'll skip a generation or 5 :/

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7442 on: February 26, 2018, 02:55:36 pm »
Pre ordered the S9+.  Due an upgrade from the S7 Edge and fancy the bigger version this time.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #7443 on: February 26, 2018, 03:46:39 pm »
Pre ordered the S9+.  Due an upgrade from the S7 Edge and fancy the bigger version this time.

Its mad. I remember getting the original Samsung Galaxy for about 100 euro on a 35 euro per month contract.
My last phone (S7 edge) cost 250 on 35 euro P/M contract over 24 months.
But now Three want 650 euro on a 24 month contract for S9+ :o
 :sad
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:54:29 pm by Living Legends »

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7444 on: February 26, 2018, 04:43:55 pm »
Its mad. I remember getting the original Samsung Galaxy for about 100 euro on a 35 euro per month contract.

That's what I mean :( is it worth the upgrade? I could take a year out i think with my S7

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7445 on: February 26, 2018, 07:26:05 pm »

Mad expensive.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #7446 on: February 27, 2018, 08:44:25 am »
That's what I mean :( is it worth the upgrade? I could take a year out i think with my S7

Mad expensive.

I think I will wait 3-4 months with my S7 edge, then see how much the S9+ is, if it's still too much I will get the S8+ instead.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7447 on: February 27, 2018, 02:03:04 pm »
When is 5G supposed to get going?

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7448 on: February 27, 2018, 02:42:25 pm »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7449 on: February 27, 2018, 03:13:14 pm »
globally 2020

I'm leaning more and more to sticking with S7 then, Is there anything else worth upgrading for? :/

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7450 on: February 28, 2018, 09:04:32 am »
The only real issues you'll encounter are the phasing out of support for that phone on more recent iterations of Android OS and therefore there will be some apps that become unavailable to you.

Apart from the usual, Instagram, Whatsapp, Tinder :P I don't use much. Hopefully I can hang on for a while.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7451 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:12 am »
99.8% apps will run on your S7, no issues.  I have a late 2013 LG G Pro running on Kitkat (4.4.2) and most apps are compatible and run fine. A few of the latest games are incompatible but most of the popular titles run fine on older software. Also have a G Flex 2 with updated Marshmallow and have no compatibility issues so far.

S7 is not that old anyway. It will be perfectly fine for another 2-3 years. A factory reset will solve any future sluggishness.  People upgrade their phones too early!
Phuk yoo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7452 on: February 28, 2018, 10:47:12 am »
S7 is not that old anyway. It will be perfectly fine for another 2-3 years. A factory reset will solve any future sluggishness.  People upgrade their phones too early!

I think so too and dropping from £40 a month to something like £5 makes a big difference

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7453 on: March 1, 2018, 02:30:10 am »
We are a good few years away from any apps not running on an S7.

Battery on my HTC10 has gone to shite since the last update. If I do have to get a knew phone I'll be going midrange. The new Nokia 6 looks like it might fit the bill.

Online pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #7454 on: March 1, 2018, 06:40:32 am »
I've got a three year old HTC m8s and the only reason I'm browsing for a new phone is the battery life. All apps work perfectly well but it is a pain having to charge the bloody thing at least twice a day.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Online pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #7455 on: March 1, 2018, 12:01:26 pm »
The M8 battery is a dog to replace but you can get it done 'professionally' for about £40.
Would that be one of those 'professional' phone shops you find in every good high street?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7456 on: March 9, 2018, 06:13:52 pm »
Got the S9+ today. This is rapid compared to my S7 edge.

This new Exynos processor is a beast.

https://youtu.be/UY4a0IPXotA
« Last Edit: March 9, 2018, 06:35:43 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7457 on: March 9, 2018, 06:18:19 pm »
Still haven't decided on what to get, might just get an iPhone 6 again or maybe the 7

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7458 on: March 20, 2018, 12:41:00 pm »
looking for ideas

i have had the one plus one for just over 3 years. battery used to be superb but it is slowing down now. its still a good phone. but the charging on it now is a pain. takes forever to charge. i bought and installed a new battery for it (which believe me is a pain in the hole) but it still takes ages to charge.

i dont want to spend loads as i dont want to spend 100s on a new phone (especially with a new born at home). any thoughts?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #7459 on: March 20, 2018, 01:09:30 pm »
looking for ideas

i have had the one plus one for just over 3 years. battery used to be superb but it is slowing down now. its still a good phone. but the charging on it now is a pain. takes forever to charge. i bought and installed a new battery for it (which believe me is a pain in the hole) but it still takes ages to charge.

i dont want to spend loads as i dont want to spend 100s on a new phone (especially with a new born at home). any thoughts?
I have the OnePlus 5T. It is immense

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7460 on: March 20, 2018, 01:22:06 pm »
I have the OnePlus 5T. It is immense
id imagine so

400-500 quid?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7461 on: March 20, 2018, 02:51:18 pm »
S9+ next week, just got the text from my provider. So excited for it, to be honest my S7 Edge has been the best phone I've had and probably wouldn't upgrade if had to pay more monthly but as it's the same... camera was the big selling point for me to be honest!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7462 on: March 20, 2018, 03:05:47 pm »
I have the lava red Oneplus 5t

Taking a while to get used to the 18:9 aspect ratio. But it really is a nice phone. Super quick charging (Dash Charging is great) and the face unlock/fingerprint scanner is incredibly fast.

I've had the Oneplus 3 before and Oppo Find 7 (same company) before that and they have been great.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7463 on: March 20, 2018, 03:10:20 pm »
thanks all

I have the lava red Oneplus 5t

Taking a while to get used to the 18:9 aspect ratio. But it really is a nice phone. Super quick charging (Dash Charging is great) and the face unlock/fingerprint scanner is incredibly fast.

I've had the Oneplus 3 before and Oppo Find 7 (same company) before that and they have been great.
oneplus are superb phones alright.

does take a while to get used to them as they are large phones. great storage too. have about 6000 photos on mine

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7464 on: March 20, 2018, 03:49:57 pm »
I recently upgraded and moved to Three for the Razer phone, got an amazing deal through a third party seller, £30 p/m, unlimited texts/minutes and 100GB of data, no upfront charge either, so pleased I did, it's an absolute powerhouse, 8GB of RAM, 120hz refresh rate, amazing phone that is worth considering for any of you about to upgrade.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7465 on: March 28, 2018, 07:24:41 pm »
Anyone own a Huawei? the p20 looks decent but not out yet?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7466 on: April 3, 2018, 04:24:25 pm »
Anyone own a Huawei? the p20 looks decent but not out yet?

Yes, I have had a HUAWEI Mate 9 Pro for about 6 months now. Easily the best phone I have ever had. Can't think of any issues with it to be honest. Except perhaps there is not a ton of cases available.

I have looked at the p20 as I saw it coming out and done a few comparisons with my phone. All it has is a newer chip and a better front facing camera. But less RAM, less pixels, doesn't have 2 SIM Card slots and a worse battery. So not really sure what they've improved!
« Last Edit: April 3, 2018, 04:30:19 pm by CheshireDave »
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7467 on: April 24, 2018, 02:07:59 pm »
Ready to move away from iPhone after about 8 years with one. Never had another smartphone, what's the deal with storing music on others? I'm moving off iPhone purely because of what a c*nt iTunes is. And the battery is fucked though thats more to do with having a 3 year old 6. Not arsed about camera or any of that, just want to be able to transfer music easily from my computer onto it, then usual stuff like browsing web and whatsapp/facebook/youtube.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7468 on: April 24, 2018, 02:34:10 pm »
what's the deal with storing music on others?

Assuming you go to android you just plug it into a PC and drag and drop the files you want on your phone like you would a memory stick/external HD and you'll have a Music app installed which you can play the music through. Doesn't need to go into a specific Music folder or anything. The music app on androids will search the phone for all audio files.

Download a torrent client and download all the music you want for free. Normally these default to the Download folder on the phone.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:36:25 pm by CheshireDave »

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7469 on: April 24, 2018, 03:19:32 pm »
Assuming you go to android you just plug it into a PC and drag and drop the files you want on your phone like you would a memory stick/external HD and you'll have a Music app installed which you can play the music through. Doesn't need to go into a specific Music folder or anything. The music app on androids will search the phone for all audio files.

Download a torrent client and download all the music you want for free. Normally these default to the Download folder on the phone.

awesome thanks, that's the dream as I download everything off torrent and was just looking for something that was basically drag and drop. i'll take a look at androids
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7470 on: April 24, 2018, 03:46:13 pm »
awesome thanks, that's the dream as I download everything off torrent and was just looking for something that was basically drag and drop. i'll take a look at androids

Yeah, nice. One bit of advice would be before you drag and drop them on make sure they're in a named album or at least the artist is named cos could get confusing with loads of Track 1, Track 2 etc on. But in my experience of downloading music via torrents the title, album, artist etc is hard-coded (probably the wrong term) into the .mp3

Online pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #7471 on: April 24, 2018, 06:10:50 pm »
Nokia 8 waiting for me at home. Will have to wait until tomorrow night to transfer everything from old phone. Appreciate it's not the best phone money can buy buy I'm not a massive user of phones but at the price I was willing to pay it seemed the best. Read a few decent reviews.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #7472 on: April 24, 2018, 06:43:34 pm »
Looking for similar phone to HTC 10(had htcs for the past 6-7 years or so), any recommendations? Budget of £350(simply free)
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Online pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #7473 on: April 24, 2018, 06:48:19 pm »
Looking for similar phone to HTC 10(had htcs for the past 6-7 years or so), any recommendations? Budget of £350(simply free)
Are you a member of HTC club? Got an email of them last week and they had some decent deals on HTC11s...to expensive for what I need but looked OK, plus they do 12 month finance if you wanted.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7474 on: April 25, 2018, 10:07:45 am »

Depends on what you prioritize in a phone.

The Honor view 10 and the Honor 8 pro are good options from Huawei in that price range.  The processors in these phones are pretty fast and they have good cameras as well.  However, if you are not a fan of custom android UI and prefer stock-ish android, Huawei is not for you.

In terms of phones with close to stock UI, the Sony Zperia XZ is available and fits your budget. Its a year old but still very highly equipped and holds its own against the 2018 models. The software is mostly clean and uncluttered, making it very responsive.

Nokia 8 is another good option in that price band. You get pure android, fantastic build quality and a distinctive design. The camera is average to good but everything else is top of the line.

If you like a bigger phone with stock android, I recommend another Nokia, the 7 plus which came out about a month ago. Looks gorgeous and very different to the myriad of metal+glass designs out there. The screen is massive.  It IS a big phone though, almost like a small tablet.

Last year's samsung flagship (S8, S8 plus)  are available for relatively cheap if you look around. They are good value for money and there is little difference in real life user experience compared to this years flagships (S9, S9 plus). These do not have stock android though.

Phuk yoo

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7475 on: April 25, 2018, 11:06:59 am »
My iphone 6 is cracked to bits. Can't be arsed paying out a load of money on the latest phone. Whats the best value for a phone that I can still use mobile banking and social media on?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7476 on: April 25, 2018, 11:13:26 am »
My iphone 6 is cracked to bits. Can't be arsed paying out a load of money on the latest phone. Whats the best value for a phone that I can still use mobile banking and social media on?

If you still prefer apple then you can get an iphone SE for about £300. only a 4 inch phone with not all the newest iphone bells and whistles. But you still get the same app store on.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7477 on: April 25, 2018, 12:54:50 pm »
If you still prefer apple then you can get an iphone SE for about £300. only a 4 inch phone with not all the newest iphone bells and whistles. But you still get the same app store on.

Not too bothered about the manufacturer as long as I can use social media and online banking.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7478 on: April 25, 2018, 01:38:59 pm »
Not too bothered about the manufacturer as long as I can use social media and online banking.

That doesn't really help in terms of what phone you should look at. You can access social media and online banking on any smart phone.

What's your budget?

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #7479 on: April 26, 2018, 06:47:57 am »
Are you a member of HTC club? Got an email of them last week and they had some decent deals on HTC11s...to expensive for what I need but looked OK, plus they do 12 month finance if you wanted.

Depends on what you prioritize in a phone.

The Honor view 10 and the Honor 8 pro are good options from Huawei in that price range.  The processors in these phones are pretty fast and they have good cameras as well.  However, if you are not a fan of custom android UI and prefer stock-ish android, Huawei is not for you.

In terms of phones with close to stock UI, the Sony Zperia XZ is available and fits your budget. Its a year old but still very highly equipped and holds its own against the 2018 models. The software is mostly clean and uncluttered, making it very responsive.

Nokia 8 is another good option in that price band. You get pure android, fantastic build quality and a distinctive design. The camera is average to good but everything else is top of the line.

If you like a bigger phone with stock android, I recommend another Nokia, the 7 plus which came out about a month ago. Looks gorgeous and very different to the myriad of metal+glass designs out there. The screen is massive.  It IS a big phone though, almost like a small tablet.

Last year's samsung flagship (S8, S8 plus)  are available for relatively cheap if you look around. They are good value for money and there is little difference in real life user experience compared to this years flagships (S9, S9 plus). These do not have stock android though.

Cheers lads I will look into your recommendations. 👍
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.