Author Topic: Rafa knocks back contract  (Read 138964 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rafa knocks back contract
« Reply #800 on: January 16, 2009, 10:59:36 pm »
two owners, and both pricks, rock and a hard place and all that

Yep, but at least with Parry there at the mo he's effectively a barrier to uncle Tom's plans.  With one of uncle Tom's men in place of him then I'm afraid 'Bob's your uncle' as far as Hicks is concerned.  Who knows what this would mean, but given his very short track record I wouldn't hold my breath on it being anything positive for Liverpool supporters.

Offline Wayne05

• Main Stander
« Reply #801 on: January 16, 2009, 11:01:18 pm »
WUM.
What the fuck is going on here ? For the firsrt time in YO we are looking like contenders ..  no . Still as we speak 2 points ahead , not 15 behind ... ffs I personally was about for all the 80.s sucess etc , there weren't too many occasions where all the pots were in the bag by Jan .......... I'll be in my usual spec on Monday . Sunday ... following weds etc .. let's stop spouting shite , speculatin about this that and what fuckin ever just to appease SSN and support OUR mighty reds to glory once again ! 

Offline Drunknmunky

• Kopite
« Reply #802 on: January 16, 2009, 11:06:33 pm »
Yep, but at least with Parry there at the mo he's effectively a barrier to uncle Tom's plans.  With one of uncle Tom's men in place of him then I'm afraid 'Bob's your uncle' as far as Hicks is concerned.  Who knows what this would mean, but given his very short track record I wouldn't hold my breath on it being anything positive for Liverpool supporters.

Maybe, but I think it's the end of the road for our esteemed owners anyway. You got to ask the question tho, why is Parry still hanging around?

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #803 on: January 16, 2009, 11:06:42 pm »
The one uncomfortable factor in all this is the niggling feeling that Rafa is doing Hicks bidding.  At the end of this I doubt both Rafa and Parry will be left standing.  One will go.

Apparently Parry & Moores veto stopped the owners lumping even more debt on the club some time ago.  This resulted in Hick's ridiculous attack on Parry which backfired somewhat as unknown to the ignoramous Hicks at the time he'd slipped even further down the 'hate list' than Parry in the eyes of Liverpool supporters.

Hicks obviously wants Parry out and his own man in.  Rafa wants Parry out.  Hence why Hicks was on sly tonight waxing lyrical how he and Rafa would sort it all out.

Nothing from Gillet.  But no secret he's no fan of Rafa (or Hicks), but instead seems to side with Parry.

Big question is, if Rafa gets his way, who replaces Parry?  If it is a man appointed by Hicks then Liverpool FC no longer will have a veto over whatever decision Hicks takes, and Moores becomes a mere voice in the wilderness.

Our esteemed owner will then have the freedom to do as he likes with this club.

I do not believe that Parry and Moores can veto investment decisons agreed by G&H. Why would you take over a club using "your" money (haha), of which two parties take a chunk as a thank you, and then allow them the veto over your financial judgement? It isnt going to happen.

Hicks' last character assassination of Parry was broadly correct, apart from adding that he was stupid and greedy enough to fall for their line. Moores is a discredited voice in the wilderness already.

I agree that parry could/should go now, but think that we would probably be better off without him. the only "checks" he is interested in are the ones that go into his bank account.

I think that G&H, or one of the two, will be around for some time to come.The exact combination will not make much difference.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 11:08:22 pm by xerxes1 »
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #804 on: January 16, 2009, 11:08:03 pm »

How I see it.

Afraid I think Rafa has engineered the impasse to get shot of Parry, and whilst I know he has disdain for Hicks, I think he might have got himself in a bad corner here.

Can't help that think there is a problem.

Either Rafa has made a serious error of judgement..  thats possible certainly..  but I hope if thats the case he doesn't regret this brinkmanship.  But it is another possibility that he is booking an exit strategy without irking the fans he loves. Just my take on things..  an opinion.  But I can categorically state that he and Hicks are NOT pals, its convenient for both to appear so at times, but theres a huge hatred there, and nothing has changed. So I am a bit puzzled as to the motives of both... Rafa to reject the contract, and Hicks to speak publicly in minutes, given his welcome silence for 6 months...

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #805 on: January 16, 2009, 11:15:06 pm »
Yep, but at least with Parry there at the mo he's effectively a barrier to uncle Tom's plans. 

Pure fantasy.He is a hired hand for G&H, a useful English qualified accountant who knows his way around the Prem system. If G&H wanted him out - he would and could be fired.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #806 on: January 16, 2009, 11:16:33 pm »
Pure fantasy.He is a hired hand for G&H, a useful English qualified accountant who knows his way around the Prem system. If G&H wanted him out - he would and could be fired.

That's the point though isn't it as only Hicks wanted him out.
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

royhendo

« Reply #807 on: January 16, 2009, 11:21:58 pm »
How I see it.

Afraid I think Rafa has engineered the impasse to get shot of Parry, and whilst I know he has disdain for Hicks, I think he might have got himself in a bad corner here.

Can't help that think there is a problem.

Either Rafa has made a serious error of judgement..  thats possible certainly..  but I hope if thats the case he doesn't regret this brinkmanship.  But it is another possibility that he is booking an exit strategy without irking the fans he loves. Just my take on things..  an opinion.  But I can categorically state that he and Hicks are NOT pals, its convenient for both to appear so at times, but theres a huge hatred there, and nothing has changed. So I am a bit puzzled as to the motives of both... Rafa to reject the contract, and Hicks to speak publicly in minutes, given his welcome silence for 6 months...

It's possibly as straightforward as it looksthough CTR - he wants to make LFC his life's work and to do that he needs full control/accountability. I don't get the impression it runs deeper than that.

Is the stuff about Gillett having to sell true?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #808 on: January 16, 2009, 11:22:47 pm »
He's a member of the board, not just a "hired hand". I agree he may not be the best man to be Chief Executive of Liverpool Football Club but all the "Coco" bollocks and attempts to portray him as nothing more than an accountant and bean-counter don't do anyine any favours.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

royhendo

« Reply #809 on: January 16, 2009, 11:25:39 pm »
Not an authority on football though Alan, you have to concede surely?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #810 on: January 16, 2009, 11:26:04 pm »
I do not believe that Parry and Moores can veto investment decisons agreed by G&H. Why would you take over a club using "your" money (haha), of which two parties take a chunk as a thank you, and then allow them the veto over your financial judgement? It isnt going to happen.

Because as a condition of the contract of sale Hicks and Moores retained seats and indeed voting rights.  Pity they missed out a clause stopping G&H using the club as collatorall on the loan, but that's another post.

It's no secret that Parry blocked Hick's intention to lump even more debt onto the club's assets about 9 months ago, and that Parry blocked him with the veto. 

This resulted in Hick's coming out with an attack on Parry's competence.  Which at the time drew posts and comments of 'how right he is' from the gullible who failed to realise he only had to log on to this website to get the lowdown on supporters frustrations with Parry.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: January 16, 2009, 11:28:14 pm »

As a member of the board and indeed assuming this was a condition of contract (& knowing Parry this would have been) no he can't simply be 'sacked' by anyone.

Offline Redskin

• Main Stander
« Reply #812 on: January 16, 2009, 11:33:43 pm »
I have a question slightly OT, but still relevant, does
anybody have any idea how true the rumours that Keane was Parry's idea are? When I first heard about it just dismissed the whole thing as just gossip and didn't pay much attention, but as it is being talked about again I'm beginning to wonder. Anybody :wave
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it." Sir Bob Paisley

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:44 pm »
It doesn't take a psychic to realize that we're now going to balls up the rest of the season.
I'm sick of all this shit to be honest, I wish they'd all fuck off.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #814 on: January 16, 2009, 11:37:36 pm »
Not an authority on football though Alan, you have to concede surely?

I don't know mate. I was reacting to the idea that Parry is just some minor accountant instead of the Chief Executive of Liverpool Football Club.

All I know is that the people who get anywhere with things like this are the ones who deal with reality. At the top level in any business you deal with people you can't stand everyday and plenty who you don't think are up to their jobs. I've never met Parry and I've never seen a full independent study on what he's done for us over the years. I know all the stories and the personal reactions of people whose opinions I respect buit some of the petty name calling and lies told about Parry and others would be more at home in the playground than in a serious debate about the future of our club.

If people want to have any influence over this then one of the first things to do is drop the name-calling and act like fucking grown-ups.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

royhendo

« Reply #815 on: January 16, 2009, 11:39:15 pm »
The thing is, Rafa's not calling for Parry to be removed completely - just from involvement in football decisions. The other developments re Gillett have no necessary connection here and the one key figure we can rely on is acting in our best long-term interests. He can't unilaterally eject Parry, but he can do his best to make the project work and remove the problems that hinder that.

royhendo

« Reply #816 on: January 16, 2009, 11:45:01 pm »
Parry is in a strategically 'indispensible' position for the foreseeable future but for me the way the club works reflects how well he has done his job as Chief Exec. The takeover wouldn't arguably have been needed if he'd been up to it. Nothing personal, no name calling, but that's my opinion on his ability.

I can't see how he adds value at all in football decisions, or how he can have any direct involvement in scouting at Academy level.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: January 16, 2009, 11:53:05 pm »
Parry is in a strategically 'indispensible' position for the foreseeable future but for me the way the club works reflects how well he has done his job as Chief Exec. The takeover wouldn't arguably have been needed if he'd been up to it. Nothing personal, no name calling, but that's my opinion on his ability.

I can't see how he adds value at all in football decisions, or how he can have any direct involvement in scouting at Academy level.

Agree with your analysis.  But you don't get to be CEO of one of the biggest club's going and then hold on to your position through a takeover and then acrimonious splits without having something about you.

He's a clown, but right now he isn't Hick's clown.  And that's important to rem before everyone backs Rafa to the hilt re getting rid.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #818 on: January 16, 2009, 11:58:14 pm »
Just on SSN now, showed a couple of the rags back pages for tomorrow, Rafa will walk at end of the season seems popular.
Fucking rags are pathetic, he agrees 90% of his contract and rejects something that will probably be resolved within a couple of weeks and he's walking at the end of the season.
Our media get more pathetic as each day passes.

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: January 17, 2009, 12:02:08 am »
Agree with your analysis.  But you don't get to be CEO of one of the biggest club's going and then hold on to your position through a takeover and then acrimonious splits without having something about you.

He's a clown, but right now he isn't Hick's clown.  And that's important to rem before everyone backs Rafa to the hilt re getting rid.
It helps if you have the Skin of Rhino!
But as much as i can't stand the c*nt,i think he should stay there until these Yanks c*nts fuck off,if  they fuck off at Noon,he should be out the door behind them at 12:01.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: January 17, 2009, 12:12:58 am »
I don't know mate. I was reacting to the idea that Parry is just some minor accountant instead of the Chief Executive of Liverpool Football Club.

All I know is that the people who get anywhere with things like this are the ones who deal with reality. At the top level in any business you deal with people you can't stand everyday and plenty who you don't think are up to their jobs. I've never met Parry and I've never seen a full independent study on what he's done for us over the years. I know all the stories and the personal reactions of people whose opinions I respect buit some of the petty name calling and lies told about Parry and others would be more at home in the playground than in a serious debate about the future of our club.

If people want to have any influence over this then one of the first things to do is drop the name-calling and act like fucking grown-ups.
Without appearing to be condescending I have to respect that post Alan. I still consider myself new to RAWK and one of the earliest issues I found was how much people hated him - and this was before the RAWK 2007 explosion. There's stories of transfer procrastination, Rafa pontification, ticket falacistation and Hicks malifistation (find them if you can) but as a CEO at least he got some loyalty to the club and credibility in the PL.
I think the fact that he held fast against G&H for the early principles of the takeover must buy him some time.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: January 17, 2009, 12:14:30 am »
OK there seems to be some point about club policy that benitez want control of.

OK if that's the case and everything else has been agree wages ,clauses, length , wether his leccy and gas gets paid etc  why doesn't sign the contract he has cried and moaned for if he want to be manager of the club .

Or is it a case which i know wont be popular but is it a case of manoeuvring himself to a move were he can walk away saying it was not his fault .

If he think he needs to be in total control of all football well i don't agree with that as being a premier league manager is a job by its self which until now he hasn't really got to grips with yet until now and it is still a thin line between success and failure at the moment .

Personally if Rafa Benitez wants the club to progress he should sign the contract and fight his corner from in the board room not in the open for the press to have a field day .

Plus if Rafa Benitez is gunning for the real madrid job  then he won't have any control over anything except the first team squad , that is all down to the sporting directors and the president of the club not the coach .
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:18:45 am by mainstandred »

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: January 17, 2009, 12:22:15 am »

OK if that's the case and everything else has been agree wages ,clauses, length , wether his leccy and gas gets paid etc  why doesn't sign the contract he has cried and moaned for if he want to be manager of the club .

Or is it a case which i know wont be popular but is it a case of manoeuvring himself to a move were he can walk away saying it was not his fault .

If he think he needs to be in total control of all football well i don't agree with that as being a premier league manager is a job by its self which until now he hasn't really got to grips with yet until now and it is still a thin line between success and failure at the moment .

Personally if Rafa Benitez wants the club to progress he should sign the contract and fight his corner from in the board room not in the open for the press to have a field day .

Plus if Rafa Benitez is gunning for the real madrid job  then he won't have any control over anything except the first team squad , that is all down to the sporting directors and the president of the club not the coach .

That's the biggest load of crap in this thread mate and that's saying something.
Ever thought of getting a job at Sky or on talkshite, because you were made for each other.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline liverbirduponmychest

• Anny Roader
« Reply #823 on: January 17, 2009, 12:26:26 am »
At the end of the day rafa wants control over tranfers and shit from the 1st team thru to the academy. This is the man to trust and our current Septic Tank owners cant see that as it showed when it kicked off last year. FUCK OFF TOM AND JERRY !

Offline SickBoy.no

• Kopite
« Reply #824 on: January 17, 2009, 12:28:46 am »

That is a load of shit and I hope you know that.
Knife WREEEENCH

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: January 17, 2009, 12:31:27 am »
That's the biggest load of crap in this thread mate and that's saying something.
Ever thought of getting a job at Sky or on talkshite, because you were made for each other.
listen mate i don't know were your loyalty's lie but mine lie with liverpool football club and if a bit of club policy is makes the manager not sign a contract when everything else is agreed maybe there is a ulterior motive .

If a player was in this position he would be getting stick and possibly moved on .

Now i don't want to see Rafa moved on or leave but if its stability he requires the signing the contract will stabilise things and until then the real madrid job will always be mentioned especially 
when we beat them , surely he cannot stay in the job for the rest of his contract knowing he is just going to leave at the end of it .

If its not signed the club will not be stable until he signs .

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #826 on: January 17, 2009, 12:34:03 am »
listen mate i don't know were your loyalty's lie but mine lie with liverpool football club and if a bit of club policy is makes the manager not sign a contract when everything else is agreed maybe there is a ulterior motive .

If a player was in this position he would be getting stick and possibly moved on .

Now i don't want to see Rafa moved on or leave but if its stability he requires the signing the contract will stabilise things and until then the real madrid job will always be mentioned especially 
when we beat them , surely he cannot stay in the job for the rest of his contract knowing he is just going to leave at the end of it .

the club won't be stable until twit or twat fucks off, and now it seems parry or rafa, which would you prefer?
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: January 17, 2009, 12:38:55 am »
the club won't be stable until twit or twat fucks off, and now it seems parry or rafa, which would you prefer?
Name me a top european coach who has total control over everything .

Offline Lfc Rules

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #828 on: January 17, 2009, 12:41:00 am »
Name me a top european coach who has total control over everything .

That isn't what he is asking for ..........

The manager has suggested a different structure that would result in the appointment of a designated person to handle transfer and contract negotiations, acting on his recommendations, while leaving Parry to deal with broader issues. But his request has been rejected.
from
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5533153.ece
"PLAY FUCKING FOOTBALL!" ~ Jürgen Klopp

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: January 17, 2009, 12:42:12 am »
What a sad bunch some of you are. £5m a year and all he has to do is work with a boss and he says no? Fucking hell some of you are a disgrace to LFC.
You have the intelligence level of a fucking 2 year old!

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #830 on: January 17, 2009, 12:49:39 am »
WUM.

Sorry Rachel, I know you are a lady, so put your fingers in your ears. The correct term for PAM is twat.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #831 on: January 17, 2009, 01:10:02 am »

Now i don't want to see Rafa moved on or leave but...

You really are a piece of work.

You posted some thoughts about the recently deceased Bobby Wilcox; credit to you for that.

You are also clearly a long-time fan and matchgoer - credit to you for that too.

But so far as ALL your posts in this affair are concerned, you have betrayed yourself as someone who doesn't trust Rafa Benitez.

So instead of hiding behind this half-baked crap - why not have the courage of your convictions and say what you mean?

Either back him - without prevarication and snide 'reservations' - or say you want him gone.

To use the R.M job as a stick to beat him with is cowardly, mischievous, cheap, completely unfounded (in fact) and frankly, seriously fucking irritating.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline thekiller123

• Main Stander
« Reply #832 on: January 17, 2009, 01:59:39 am »

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #833 on: January 17, 2009, 02:06:19 am »
He's a member of the board, not just a "hired hand". I agree he may not be the best man to be Chief Executive of Liverpool Football Club but all the "Coco" bollocks and attempts to portray him as nothing more than an accountant and bean-counter don't do anyine any favours.

I've tried to stay out of this thread as much as I can as I didn't want to have to keep responding to some of the drivel that seems to creeping into every other post since Rafa's press conference last week. It's not that easy when you see things repeated  30 seconds after SSN have said it and another myth is perpetuated ad infinitum and ad nauseum.
So I'm going to give an honest opinion based on fact. People can take it or leave it but those that know will understand. Those that want to just use any platform of perceived negativity to have a crack at Benitez will continue to do so because its been festering in their heads for too long to change. Those that only have an opinion dependant on what they see in the media will only change their opinion when they are told what it is by the same.

I've worked with Rick Parry and as you say Alan there is far more to this man than just being an accountant. His commitment to Liverpool F.C is undoubted and his workload would make most of us buckle after a week.
The job he inherited from Peter Robinson was one of if not THE biggest challenge to anyones abilities in recent football history.
The lack of foresight from his illustrious predecessors over many years has probably got more to do with our current plight than people care to see. Simply because it's easier to blame the 'clown' than anyone else. There is no smoke without fire though and therein lies part of the story.
Behind the scenes, he has worked tirelessly to haul our club back to where we once were. Both in terms of financial muscle and administrative excellence.
His ability to do this has been questioned many times within the club and some of the methods employed have actually left us further behind and not even close to be drawing level with our competitors.
Part of the blame for this has been the remnants of Liverpools administrative past. How things had to be done 'The Liverpool Way', while still dragging the club into the modern day. Liverpool as a footballing business model would be the team equivalent of the 2nd Division when Parry arrived while our main competitors were swanning around The Champions League, such was the ground we had to make up.

The problem with Parry is that his role and responsibilities have changed dramatically at the same time as we tried and failed to play catch up. So no sooner did we look as though we were getting there,then he was loaded with further responsibilities. This created difficulties, compounded by the changes in the managerial structure of the club and the rapid responses needed in the modern game. He was in effect doing 3 jobs.
One he was qualified for as an accountant. One he had experience of, effectively, as a senior administrator with the Premier League  and one he was never going to manage effectively alongside the other two. That was as C.E.O of Liverpool F.C.

How a club like Liverpool F.C could be the only one who didn't employ a marketting executive until Ayres was appointed is testament to the reliance of keeping things done a certain way so as not to rock the boat. They didn't learn by past mistakes. See the farcical 'joint manager' roles of Evans & Houllier as further evidence of that type of reasoning.

The job was too big for Parry but nobody within the club was prepared to change the situation. Instead more responsibility and therefore more power was given to Parry.

Once Benitez arrived at the club, things started to change almost immediately.
Benitez realised that from a footballing aspect the club was not geared up to the needs of the modern game and certainly not to the needs of Liverpool F.C. Some of the things Benitez was informed were in place when he was offered the managers position were clouded in half truths. Many of those things were paramount to Benitez in his decision to come to the club. They represented many of the things he saw as being vital for the club's long and short term future.

Benitez came to the club believing there was a platform for him to put his ideas in place and take the club to where they told him they wanted to be. The reality of what he found was so far removed from the initial promises. Initially this was put down to clashes of personality, which in some cases it was. However Benitez found himself running down blind alleys at almost every turn.He was continually meeting Parry down there. The main stumbling blocks being cash, the buying and selling of players and the youth structure. All things that a footballing man needed to run smoothly and effectively. Benitez was renowned for being one of the widely respected youth coaches during his time in Spain and this was a major part of his CV. Yet he was told to keep his nose out at Liverpool. The fragmentation of the senior and junior set ups at the club was beyond his comprehension. As was the fact that he, as manager was being prevented from having any effective input in to it's running or effectiveness.
Benitez decided to restructure those areas he was 'allowed' to and that started some major problems.
He effectively bypassed the youth system and brought his own players in, to train with the senior squad. Once Steve Heighway left,many of the successful youth team were promoted to the reserves and therefore came under his overall control.

He still didn't have any real input into the youth set up which was being overseen and run by Rick Parry. Parry's reluctance to sanction or back the overhaul of the youth system has been a major problem for Benitez. A none footballing man effectively preventing a football man from doing what he was brought in to do in the first place.
It is well known within the club that Benitez wants to develop our own players. He is extremely passionate about it, yet feels this won't happen quickly enough under the present structure.Even though that long term the club will benefit both financially and in terms of having a local heart to the club. Something that he spoke of only today.

On top of all of this is the farcical situation regarding protracted transfers we are all aware of. This all came to a head, just before the Gerrard fiasco made the headlines. Parry's reticence to get the Gerrard's contract sorted out was seen within the club and by Rafa in particular as an indication of how much power Parry thought he had. This was a further indication of his lack of footballing mentality. He was actually prompted to get this sorted from within the club but still dragged his heels.This caused major problems internally and is the catalyst for many of today's difficulties. The almost catastrophic outcome was seen as a watershed. It wasn't!

On top of that Benitez had the unfortunate misfortune of having to go through Parry for every transfer.
I'm not going into who they were, but certain players at home and abroad had approached Liverpool F.C and had agreed to come after speaking with Benitez only for the deal to fall through after Parry became involved. Some were high profile, some were not. The biggest deals having been well documented. Some equally as big which have not been.were already agreed with players without massive wage demands or contract terms only to fall away yet again. This caused severe professional embarrassment for Benitez and restricted the progress of the team.

Once the takeover came about and the club was restructured once again, Benitez was once again made promises regarding transfers.Certain operating procedures were put into place by Hicks  & Gillette to try and smooth things along. Without going into too much detail about what they were here, they failed when the H & G relationship started to wobble. The operating procedures fell by the wayside, which Benitez wasn't happy about as they appeared to be working. Once H & G lost the day to day 'hands on ' contact with club matters,apart from Ayres 'input', things reverted to type and Parry just went about things The Parry Way.

As I said initially, Parry works tirelessly for the club. However he is not the man for the job. Certainly not working with Benitez, or any other forward thinking manager, who knows the buck stops with him under the current structure.
As the public face of Liverpool Football Club, you couldn't meet a more insipid, grey, uninspiring man. He is the archetypal accountant, who's lack of personality and charisma is exactly what you would imagine it to be by his public image.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:11:59 am by shanklyboy »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #834 on: January 17, 2009, 02:15:49 am »
RAFA BENITEZ will walk away from Liverpool at the end of the season unless the club’s American owners grant him autonomy over transfers.

Real Madrid are waiting in the wings – with, intriguingly, Chelsea and Manchester City monitoring developments – as Benitez embroiled himself in another game of brinkmanship over his Anfield future.

The Liverpool boss yesterday rejected the offer of a new four-and-a-half-year contract, worth about £80,000 a week, after insisting he did not want transfer plans to be subject to chief executive Rick Parry.

“The owners feel that the manager’s decisions need to be subject to the chief executive,” said Benitez. “But I know that I am subject to results and to our fans. They are the best judges I’ll ever have.”

A week after Benitez launched his infamous tirade against Manchester United boss Mr. Ferguson, the timing of his decision to publicly rebuff the deal is again questionable with back-to-back Merseyside derby showdowns looming for the Premier League leaders and also a game against title rivals Chelsea.

Benitez’s stance is a direct challenge to co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett and also the start of a fresh offensive to try and win public support.

The US tycoons issued a joint statement yesterday claiming talks would continue to try and breach the impasse, but Hicks is understood to have irked his business partner by later giving a separate interview in which he suggested Benitez would be the manager for the next “five years”.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/80403/End-of-the-line

Really hope this doesn't drag on for the rest of the season.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #835 on: January 17, 2009, 02:18:30 am »
He will stay on, he's just holding out for more power over transfers in his contract. It will all get sorted out. The media sprout crap, making more out of this than what is actually there, (like usual), so we shouldn't fret. Lets just worry about Neverton on Mundy night.
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: January 17, 2009, 02:32:24 am »

My loyalty is to Liverpool F.C too mate.
I also want the manager to be able to do his job in a way that gets the best for Liverpool F.C.
Managers in the past have been allowed to do the job without one hand tied behind their back. You seem to want Benitez to do that without question, which I find amazing.

You also seem to want to use innuendo and confuse facts with fiction.
You appear to have your own agenda against Benitez. I know you deny it, but nothing I've seen from any of your posts supports that.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Retro Red

• Listen to this Man.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #837 on: January 17, 2009, 02:50:54 am »
Apparently Parry & Moores veto stopped the owners lumping even more debt on the club some time ago.  This resulted in Hick's ridiculous attack on Parry which backfired somewhat as unknown to the ignoramous Hicks at the time he'd slipped even further down the 'hate list' than Parry in the eyes of Liverpool supporters.

It's no secret that Parry blocked Hick's intention to lump even more debt onto the club's assets about 9 months ago, and that Parry blocked him with the veto. 

Untrue.

One of the biggest myths going around is that Parry and Moores had anything to do with limiting the amount of debt piled onto LFC. The reality is that LFC got the maximum amount of debt that the banks, not Parry or Moores, would allow. The rest had to go into the holding company, which has only one asset and one income stream - LFC.

The debt liability that LFC faces is something like £120-150million (plus interest and plus the premium that the owners have put on a loan from the holding company to the football club) more than the value of the club's assets.

The banks were willing to take a calculated risk that the club would appreciate in value before  end of the loan period (now June 24th 2009) due to the new ground taking shape. Clearly that isn't going to happen and LFC will effectively be in negative equity when it comes to repaying it's interest only mortgage in six months. A situation compounded by the fact that banks are no longer willing to take such risks in lending in excess of 100% loan to value, meaning that further refinancing of the debts will be unlikely if not impossible.

Sterling work on the part of Moores and Parry. I'm sure the half million bonus and red ferrari make up for any minor disappointments the CEO has had to endure these past couple of years.

As for the manager's contract, Parry and Gillett genuinely can't stand Benitez. Gillett has pledged his loyalty to Parry and expressed his lack of regard for the manager. For the life of me I cannot see how this situation can be resolved without either Benitez or both Parry and Gillett leaving.

Just what we need in the middle of our first proper title challenge in 19 years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:53:35 am by Retro Red »

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: January 17, 2009, 02:54:09 am »
Shanklyboy post 833 is one of the best posts i have ever read on any football site and i include the BBC and the rest of the shit stirers in that.

Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #839 on: January 17, 2009, 03:02:27 am »
I've tried to stay out of this thread as much

Glad you didn't mate.

Well highlighted the problems of internal structure.

Parry doesn't have to go. Just his authority has to be changed.

That is what Rafa is fighting for.

I back Rafa 100%.

Will Parry give up some authority? That is the question.

To many think Parry has to be sacked to give Rafa what he wants. That is one way but not the only way.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.