Author Topic: Thaksin Shinawatra comments on "done deal"  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Thaksin Shinawatra comments on "done deal"
« on: May 18, 2004, 05:36:09 am »
Further comments have emanated from Thailand suggesting the deal to buy 30% of Liverpool FC by the Thai consortium is close.

Both Reuters and AFP carry quotes from Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra just before he entered a cabinet meeting to seek cabinet approval for the financing of the deal which seems to have been confirmed in principle at the Thai end.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/article.php?id=466204

Thaksin said he was confident Thailand would seal the deal later this week "Now 60 percent is comfortable, and there's still another 40 percent that we still have to discuss before we agree," he told reporters. "Three to four minor points need to be resolved."

The "three or four points" are thought to include the Thai representation on the board, the announcement and signing of the deal, and complications over the merchandising rights.

"In principle there shouldn't be any problem," he said. "We submitted the memorandum of understanding to them and they countered with their draft to us and then we have to have further negotiation," he said.

"Things should conclude this week," he said, adding he would send top government, sports and legal representatives to Britain on Wednesday to work out the final details of the agreement.

Then in comments which will reaffirm the suspicions of many Reds, Thaksin added that he was pursuing "other options" in case the deal with LFC fell through. He added that he was confident that by next month Thailand would have bought into the Premier League.

"Last night Liverpool informed me over the progress made and I do hope that we won't have any problem, but if we cannot agree with Liverpool we still have alternatives," he said. "It's likely that within June we will buy a share in the Premier League."

Thaksin also confirmed that the money for the deal would be raised through a one-off state lottery and stocks sold to the public. Neither he nor the Government of Thailand would invest funds.

© RAWK 2004
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 05:43:01 am by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline hoot

• Manc Twat
  • Anny Roader
  • It looks like I'm banned ;)
Re: Thaksin Shinawatra comments on "done deal"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 08:14:21 am »
Well thats the end of Liverpool fc fans calling Man U for being a PLC ;D, and Its going to be fun for Utd fans making new songs up for next season.
"Manchester United doesn't have a place in my heart - it is my heart"

Eric Cantona.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 08:28:03 am »
Well thats the end of Liverpool fc fans calling Man U for being a PLC ;D, and Its going to be fun for Utd fans making new songs up for next season.

We still won't be a PLC and we'll never stop calling you for it :)

I suggest you start working on a song about how much you love Alan Smith :P
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline hoot

• Manc Twat
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 08:31:52 am »
I hope he stays in Yorkshire, he's not good enough for Man U.

Eric Cantona.

Offline hoot

• Manc Twat
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 08:38:25 am »
Call us Fans for owning 17% of our club?
you should try and start something like this,http://www.shareholdersunited.org/contact.php

and give yourself a say in your own club.

Eric Cantona.

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 05:27:05 pm »
Anybody else think that Thaksin Shinawatra sounds like Yoda?
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 07:16:47 pm »
no - yoda's got 2 syllables and Thaksin etcetc doesn't sound like it at all.    :P
Yep.