Author Topic: The Football League thread 2016/2017  (Read 71337 times)

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Football League thread 15/16
« Reply #480 on: December 14, 2016, 03:44:03 pm »
Birmingham City sack Gary Rowett even though they're 3 points off 3rd and have been broke for years, zola apparently coming in.

One of the most bizarre sackings I can remember in a good long while.

WTF they sacked one of the best up and coming managers in England and are getting Zola to replace him ???  :lmao :lmao  :lmao
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:07:56 am by Greatness »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #481 on: December 14, 2016, 04:11:58 pm »
Good to see Huddersfield Town have had a couple good results after a rough patch, and are still hanging in there in the playoff spots :)

I'm not sure if they can hang in there all season, as they don't really have the depth of squads some of the other teams around them do. And don't have the budget to splash out a lot of money on signings, still, it'd be amazing if they manage it. David Wagner is doing a really solid job there.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #482 on: December 15, 2016, 09:13:46 pm »
Thought the vuvoozela in South Africa was annoying - nowt compared to the high pitches whistles through Coventry game on sky

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: December 15, 2016, 09:31:02 pm »
Coventry fans have now ran onto the pitch in protest of Sisu (must be the owner?).

Security at this place is a fucking embarrassment. They could have done anything to the players yet nobody was there to protect them from these idiots. They're basically allowed to do whatever they want on the pitch ffs.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #484 on: December 16, 2016, 09:56:37 pm »
Good to see Huddersfield Town have had a couple good results after a rough patch, and are still hanging in there in the playoff spots :)

I'm not sure if they can hang in there all season, as they don't really have the depth of squads some of the other teams around them do. And don't have the budget to splash out a lot of money on signings, still, it'd be amazing if they manage it. David Wagner is doing a really solid job there.

I'm so impressed with Wagner. He obviously reminds people of Klopp, and with good reason; he demands so much of his players and then doesn't crucify them if they fall short.

No wonder other Championship sides are eying him as their next boss.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: December 16, 2016, 10:01:32 pm »
Norwich are on a shocking run.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #486 on: December 16, 2016, 10:38:44 pm »
I'm so impressed with Wagner. He obviously reminds people of Klopp, and with good reason; he demands so much of his players and then doesn't crucify them if they fall short.

No wonder other Championship sides are eying him as their next boss.

yeah you can really see the similarities with how he works and how Kloppo works, and how they play. You can see the influence for sure. Heck, he even followed Kloppo's lead in taking his team on a mad team bonding trip in the summer without electricity and mobile phones  ;D

And I think he will be just like his best mate in being loyal to Huddersfield too. Other teams with more money will come in for him, but I can see him seeing the job through there.   

They are well and truly over that bad patch now, some very solid results the last 3 weeks.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: December 17, 2016, 05:02:13 pm »
seriously what happened to Norwich?

Btw, Leeds on an incredible run

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: December 17, 2016, 07:08:59 pm »
1-0 birmingham last 15 mins, zola quick working.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: December 17, 2016, 07:12:43 pm »
Jinxed that! 1-1 now last 5 mins.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Football League thread 2016/2017
« Reply #490 on: December 27, 2016, 02:06:41 pm »
Another pay off coming for "Olly". Should have lumped on Brighton when I heard him get one of his own players ages wrong by 4 years and then start banging on about Cilla Black in his pre game interview.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:51 am »
I took a quick glance at the table and noticed that both Blackburn and Wigan are at the bottom of the table. It's not too long ago that they were in the Premier League. Also considering that Wigan spent last season in League One.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #492 on: January 17, 2017, 09:40:34 am »
At the start of the season, I put money on Huddersfield to go up, Brighton to win the league and Bristol City to get relegated. All looking decent so far. Brighton always suffer a late season collapse though don't they?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: February 1, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »
Zola's record since replacing Gary Rowett at Birmingham has been shocking, 10 league games four draws and six defeats.

Birmingham were level on points with sixth place and only outside of playoff spot on goal difference, now they are 9 points behind 6th and the teams above them have games in hand.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: February 2, 2017, 08:33:44 pm »
Huddersfield tearing Brighton a new one in this game. 3-1 at HT. They've battered Brighton so far.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: February 2, 2017, 08:34:47 pm »
Zola's record since replacing Gary Rowett at Birmingham has been shocking, 10 league games four draws and six defeats.

Birmingham were level on points with sixth place and only outside of playoff spot on goal difference, now they are 9 points behind 6th and the teams above them have games in hand.

One of the most baffling sackings I've ever seen. Zola is a shit manager so I'm not sure why Birmingham brought him in.

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #496 on: February 2, 2017, 10:04:05 pm »
What a showing from Huddersfield. They really are going to be charging for the playoffs this season now. Made a few good signings to back up the squad in the past month too.

Klopp might be facing his best mate next year
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #497 on: February 6, 2017, 07:51:03 pm »
David Wagner is a bit of a character isn't he. Just seen the Leeds game highlights!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: February 21, 2017, 03:40:24 pm »
Owen Coyle sacked by Blackburn.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #499 on: February 21, 2017, 05:52:35 pm »
Owen Coyle sacked by Blackburn.

How United's stock has fallen.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #500 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:50 am »
Another win for Huddersfield last night, over Reading. 6 wins in a row for them and they're only 5 behind Newcastle and play them at home next week. Has it become a three way fight foe those top two spots?

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2017, 08:38:51 am »
Another win for Huddersfield last night, over Reading. 6 wins in a row for them and they're only 5 behind Newcastle and play them at home next week. Has it become a three way fight foe those top two spots?

Yes, I was very impressed with Huddersfields style of play v City. Not common in that league.

Wagner having a big effect.

Will try to watch their game with barcodes if it's on.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #502 on: February 22, 2017, 08:48:49 am »
Yes, I was very impressed with Huddersfields style of play v City. Not common in that league.

Wagner having a big effect.

Will try to watch their game with barcodes if it's on.

It's on TV but I bet you don't watch it...

Huddersfield Town v Newcastle United

Championship

17:30

Sky Sports 1 / Sky Sports 1 HD

Liverpool v Arsenal

Premier League

17:30

BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 1 HD / BT Sport 4K UHD
@JonnYNWA

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: February 22, 2017, 08:58:57 am »
What's their budget like compared to the top 2? Fantastic effort to be so close to them at this stage when they've been a bottom half side the last few years.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #504 on: February 23, 2017, 06:41:36 am »
I really want huddersfield to come up. The likes of danny ward will get game time in PL if they do . We can loan a few other fringe players too

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: March 10, 2017, 06:49:53 pm »
Alex Neil sacked by Norwich.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: March 10, 2017, 07:36:10 pm »
Alex Neil sacked by Norwich.
Not surprised they have massively underachieved this season, Rowett has to be the favorite for the job and I would be surprised if anybody else gets it.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #507 on: March 10, 2017, 08:31:16 pm »
Brighton cruising. Baldock again. 2-0 and they should easily go joint top tonight on points.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #508 on: March 11, 2017, 12:45:52 am »
Brighton cruising. Baldock again. 2-0 and they should easily go joint top tonight on points.

They went a bit poor a few games back, was afraid their end of season slump was coming as usual, but they seemed to have found more in them! Will be a great run in this now, both teams look like they could win every game.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: March 11, 2017, 01:01:59 am »
I really want huddersfield to come up. The likes of danny ward will get game time in PL if they do . We can loan a few other fringe players too

That's against the rules. PL clubs can have a max of two loanees from other PL clubs and they have to be from different clubs. Huddersfield would probably want to keep Danny Ward and Izzy Brown.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #510 on: March 12, 2017, 08:15:50 pm »
Steve McLaren sacked by Derby..............again.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: March 12, 2017, 08:27:25 pm »
What was the point in bringing him back, are they going for someone like Neil or even cockpiss?

Ah wait Rowett is out there...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:31:28 pm by Laughter is the best medicine... »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: March 12, 2017, 09:04:08 pm »
Steve McLaren sacked by Derby..............again.
Think what you like about him, that seems to be a shocking decision. Given how they were doing before he got there, sacking him as the cure to a slump in an otherwise improved tenure seems to be a bit daft.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: March 12, 2017, 09:09:01 pm »
Think what you like about him, that seems to be a shocking decision. Given how they were doing before he got there, sacking him as the cure to a slump in an otherwise improved tenure seems to be a bit daft.
their statement seems to hint at something going bad at the start of the year, very damning it was

The man should just be a #2 from now on, something he'd probably be good at to be fair

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: March 12, 2017, 09:17:23 pm »
their statement seems to hint at something going bad at the start of the year, very damning it was

The man should just be a #2 from now on, something he'd probably be good at to be fair

I don't know. I take a statement from an owner that's gone through 4 managers in the space of a year or so with a pinch of salt.

"This was a task which was achieved swiftly and decisively, resulting in the team reaching sixth place in the table towards the latter part of 2016 after finding itself towards the relegation zone only a few months previously.

However, since the turn of the year we have experienced a significant, unexpected and persistent decline in results, team unity and morale. Our form over the last 10 games would place us above the relegation group by goal difference alone."

...And the reason they're not 'above the relegation group by goal difference alone' is because of the terrific run of results that got them hoping of playoffs even after that dreadful start. Of course the players heads are going to drop if the manager has been getting sacked after every time there's a slump.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: March 13, 2017, 03:49:03 pm »

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: March 14, 2017, 02:05:57 pm »
This weekend will be the 5th meeting in a row between Derby and Nottingham Forest where both teams have different managers. Bonkers.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: April 17, 2017, 05:54:08 pm »
Wow, didn't realise the trouble Forest were in and obviously the Zola appointment at Birmingham is proving to be as dumb as 99% of the world knew it was.

If Villa beat Birmingham next week then look out for a nice money making fix the week after when they play Blackburn and try to get Birmingham (or Forest!) relegated.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #518 on: April 17, 2017, 05:56:29 pm »
Wow, didn't realise the trouble Forest were in and obviously the Zola appointment at Birmingham is proving to be as dumb as 99% of the world knew it was.

If Villa beat Birmingham next week then look out for a nice money making fix the week after when they play Blackburn and try to get Birmingham (or Forest!) relegated.

Fuck Forest, all their fans I know are arseholes. Have to feel a little for their fans though despite that,  properly badly run.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: April 17, 2017, 05:58:52 pm »
Knew the Zola appointment would be a horrendous descion, he's doing worse than even though he would do.

Has he even won a game yet  ???