Author Topic: Spurs: fucking useless  (Read 2596193 times)

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spurs
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2014, 07:43:48 pm »
Did you watch Spurs at all last year? I would love to know where this 'talented squad' is.

Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid: Reina, Arbeloa, Skrtel, Carragher, Aurelio, Alonso (Lucas 60), Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard (Spearing 74), Babel, Torres (Dossena 83).

Stoke 2-0 Liverpool: Reina, Konchesky, Kyrgiakos, Carragher, Skrtel, Raul Meireles (Ngog 66), Gerrard, Maxi (Babel 73), Lucas, Torres, Kuyt.

Just sayin'.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2014, 07:44:39 pm »
Think he's a terrific manager. He'll do well there.

Surprised that some Spurs fans didn't want him.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

royhendo

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2014, 07:51:45 pm »
Got told I look like him today. I've had better days!

Oh yeah, so you do!

royhendo

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2014, 07:52:47 pm »
It's like Van Gaal. He'll do really well. But the fans and the men in suits won't understand that just being around the European slots constitute doing well. And so they'll say he's not done well despite having done well, and they'll sack him for an enormous severance pay off.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2014, 08:22:09 pm »
average manager who is going to fail... but again, finishing 5-7 isn't really a failure at Spurs, thats their level... the way they act, one would think they are some kind of sleeping giant lol
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline timbucktoo

• Dreams of a threesome with Oprah Winfrey or Whoopie Goldberg
  • Kopite
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2014, 08:22:14 pm »
Not only do Spurs copy our transfer targets but now our approach to management!
Young, relatively unproven, manager who likes to play a high press attacking game

Muppets

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »
Young, relatively unproven, manager who likes to play a high press attacking game

Muppets

And one who speaks English AND Spanish.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2014, 08:24:18 pm »

Muppets

Levy is obsessed with us. The best bit is, whoever he goes after will reject them for us.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2014, 08:26:02 pm »
It's evident that there are a lot of people in this thread that get all their information on players second hand. Of all the players Spurs bought last summer there are 2 you could legitimately say flopped, Lamela and Soldado. Any manager in their right mind would be chomping at the bit to work with the former and imo the latter was used very poorly by AVB and was then under the guidance of an utter clown in Sherwood.

Pochettino has already shown himself to be a brilliant man manager so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he managed to really get them gelling as a group which is exactly what they need. Not only does he have a strong core there to work with, with the likes of Lloris, Kaboul, Chiricheș (who I thought was excellent when fit last season), Capoue, Dembele, Erisken etc but he also has a lot of players he could sell off to add to what you think would be already a fairly sizeable kitty.

Lots of people seem to be talking about this like he's a dead man walking already but I really think it's a win win situation for Pochettino. If he succeeds (from the outside looking in and given what's happening at other clubs I think 5th would represent a very good season for Spurs) then he'll be walking on water because Spurs are a shambles currently. If he fails spectacularly it's not really going to affect his standing in the game too badly because Spurs are a shambles.

I think it's a smart move by him and I dare say he'll do very well at Spurs. If he gets them gelling quickly and makes some smart purchases I think they could be one of the best teams to watch next season.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:32:14 pm by ghost1359 »
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline MTred406

• Anny Roader
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »
Considering the squad Southampton have finishing 8th is about par for the course and think this is another flavor of the month manager for Spurs.  I think the results for them will be very similar to this year, and they will continue to stay stagnant battling for a Europa league place. 

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2014, 08:28:26 pm »
Can't remember why I thought they might be serious condenders for CL places last season.
Probably because they bought all those fancy players.

Ah well, not fussed this time around.
Spurs have to work very, very hard to prove they are a club ready to challenge for anything.
Until they do...

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2014, 08:30:46 pm »
;D

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2014, 08:37:27 pm »
I don't think people should be too happy about this appointment. It looks way too similiar to the likes of Rodgers and Martinez. If Pochettino can do as he did with southampton, then spurs would be a challenger for the top 4(much more than under Sherwood). Spurs have a better squad than Southampton and more money to spend.

I dont see top teams and united being linked with many in that spurs side unlike the soton side.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2014, 08:42:37 pm »
While it could be a good move if Levy could stay hands off, the reality is that him and his DoF will interfere and nothing will change with them.

Hilarious that they gave him a 5 year contract, presumably that means he is 83% as good as the moyesiah.

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2014, 08:43:04 pm »
Can you imagine the reaction on here if they put in a Ł25M bid for lallana?

:o
'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »
Can you imagine the reaction on here if they put in a Ł25M bid for lallana?

:o

Hope they do, that's about 10 million more than he's worth.

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2014, 08:46:04 pm »
Bit underwhelmed to be honest. Really wanted an experienced head at the helm. Lot of fans seem happy with the appointment though. To be fair, Southampton certainly played some nice stuff under him. Plus being Argentinian you'd think he'd know the kind of talent Lamela is (if we ever find out where Tim buried him)

To be fair mate, I was like that when Rodgers took over. Thought we should be aiming higher than appointing the Swansea manager. But fast forward 2 seasons and I'm absolutely delighted we hired him. Need to give him a chance. You never know what might happen.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2014, 08:47:50 pm »
I genuinely despise Daniel Fucking Levy.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline TXRed

• Anny Roader
  • Just a Bible-thumpin' Liverpool-lovin' Yank
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2014, 08:55:56 pm »
Between Levy, the London media, and the bad apples in that squad, think he's got his work cut out for him. Can think of several players who don't fit his high-pressing style at all.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2014, 09:03:52 pm »
Southampton played some beautiful footy last season. If Levy and Spurs fans think he will apply that right away, they are wrong. He will definitely need more than a year. Will Levy be OK with that? Hmm....

Oh and he has a really round face.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2014, 09:04:06 pm »
Oh yeah, so you do!

Alright Holloway!

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2014, 09:22:26 pm »
I think it's a good appointment for them, but then again that's totally contingent on their expectations. If they're still overtaken by these illusions of grandeur that they're one of the big clubs then this will inevitably go south, most likely sooner rather than later. If they're willing to take it on the chin for a year or two and actually build something then I could see this having success.

Assuming he's married to the style of play he promoted at Southampton, he's going to need to completely rebuild their midfield. The problem with that is that they've already got a pretty bloated squad. Off the top of my head: Paulinho, Sandro, Bentaleb, Dembele, Eriksen, Holtby, Sigurdsson, Capoue, Livermore...just for the middle of the park. I'm not sure how many of those really fit his style of play, but I know for certain a couple of the more high profile names on that list don't. I think he's going to have to shift quite a few players out and we've learned the hard way how tedious that can be. They've already spent their big money and (seemingly) it didn't provide them with a single player their new manager will view as a foundational piece. That's a big problem. When we spent big and disastrously, we at least left Rodgers with a squad containing Luis Suarez. That minimized the work he had to do in reshaping our squad and he still had a hell of a lot of work to do. Pochettino has inherited an even tougher rebuild with fewer resources at his disposal. So for me it all comes down to their expectations. If they think this should be a quick turnaround because they've got a squad compiled with big money then they're just due for more of the same. I suspect that's where it's headed because I don't think Levy has a clue. If I'm wrong and they demonstrate a bit of self awareness then they'll be willing to play a longer game. I think they've got a good man in for that job. Not sure that's his remit, though.
Justice For The 96

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2014, 09:49:40 pm »
I think it's a good appointment for them, but then again that's totally contingent on their expectations. If they're still overtaken by these illusions of grandeur that they're one of the big clubs then this will inevitably go south, most likely sooner rather than later. If they're willing to take it on the chin for a year or two and actually build something then I could see this having success.

I think this is potentially a great appointment for them provided Levy is patient (which is unlikely). Keeping hold of Lloris will be crucial, but I wonder how much freedom he'll have re: transfers this summer, considering Baldini's record and Levy's presence. I think part of his remit will be to get something out of Soldado and Lamela. If they are wise, I  think they'll probably look to shift away some of the surplus of central midfielders and probably look to add a forward or two and fixing their back-four.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Spurs
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2014, 10:04:26 pm »
Spurs just appoint whoever the 'hot' manager is at the time. I remember Juande Ramos was a big deal at one point, Vilas Boas certainly was and Pochettino is now. Their hiring process for managers seems to be the same as it is for players - see who everyone's talking about and sign them up. That's what their transfer window last season consisted of when they bought the likes of Soldado and Lamela. It's minimal risk but minimal gain.

Rodgers, by contrast, was a risk. Granted he was highly regarded, but it was still a huge gamble when you consider the size of our club compared to Spurs. I think the absolute best they can do is fifth place next season, any lower and I imagine they'll sack Pochettino and appoint 'insert popular young manager here'.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2014, 10:15:32 pm »
Two things you can be sure of every season as a football fan.

Spurs will not win the league
Newcastle will not win a trophy

;D
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2014, 10:18:26 pm »
Meh, had a good time at Saints, but he's not exactly going to make them step up a level.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2014, 10:35:36 pm »
I think this is potentially a great appointment for them provided Levy is patient (which is unlikely). Keeping hold of Lloris will be crucial, but I wonder how much freedom he'll have re: transfers this summer, considering Baldini's record and Levy's presence. I think part of his remit will be to get something out of Soldado and Lamela. If they are wise, I  think they'll probably look to shift away some of the surplus of central midfielders and probably look to add a forward or two and fixing their back-four.

I agree regarding Soldado and Lamela and I think that could potentially work, but the rest of the squad requires so much surgery and he gets very little time to work with it this summer. I really have no idea who they build around. They've got something like 25 first team players. It's a massive squad, comparable in size to City's, but they're all so interchangeable that very few stand out. It's going to require yeoman's work re-shaping that squad and that's not something I associate with a Levy-run club. I think Pochettino's got a huge task in front of him.
Justice For The 96

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2014, 11:22:54 pm »
Strong start to the season before it peters out in to a 6th place finish.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2014, 11:36:12 pm »
i think he's a good manager and potentially a good appointment. Just a shame he has a spiv and an imbecile in charge of transfers who also happen to be his superiors. If he succeeds it'll be despite them not because of their involvement.

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2014, 11:38:27 pm »
Top 4 really is going to be competitive now. Sherwood and Moyes the weak links have been replaced.     Martinez ,Rodgers,Mourinho,Pellegrini,Pochettino and Wenger strong managerial line up.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2014, 11:47:35 pm »
I honestly do not understand why so many on here underestimate him, other than a sense of denial.

Spurs still managed to finish on 69 points last season despite all their failures.  When was the last time we finished on 69 points or higher prior to this season?

He will easily improve on that total, I would predict early to mid 70's at the very least (and will be happy for folk to quote that back at me).

Who knows what position that will result in though. It's scary to think a mid 70s points total could finish 6th these days.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »
It's not a sense of denial, it's the same drivel that is out there every year. We heard all about Spurs and what they were going to do last year after their transfer window. It really doesn't matter what they do, as long as we progress and play like we have, they're going to be irrelevant.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2014, 11:56:45 pm »

i'd say you look more like a young disenchanted Saddam Hussein

Offline grizz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2014, 12:44:33 am »
Pochettino to target Adam Lallana after agreeing Spurs deal
what a surprise............not

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2014, 12:48:24 am »
 Why the fuck have they given him a five year contract?! It's a widely held belief that Levy is financially prudent but owing someone five years of wages when everything suggest they'll be there no longer than eighteen months is just dafty behaviour.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Rojo O Muerto

• Legacy Fan
  • LGTBQIA2S+
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2014, 12:54:13 am »
There's probably a clause in his contract, not to dissimilar to the one Moyesy had at United.
If you can't support us when we're shartin', don't support us when we're fartin'

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2014, 01:01:11 am »
if he ends the season with a better goal difference than +2 he's been a success
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2014, 01:06:57 am »
Why the fuck have they given him a five year contract?! It's a widely held belief that Levy is financially prudent but owing someone five years of wages when everything suggest they'll be there no longer than eighteen months is just dafty behaviour.
On the face of it ,it does seem daft.
but im betting ,like Moyse,there is "targets" that need to be met or the severance pay wont be the full contract term.

It was obvious 3 weeks into Sherwoods time that he was going to need replacing,Levy has looked at Matinez and Rodgers and tried to find someone of similar ilk. Pochetinno ticked a few boxes
JFT 96

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2014, 02:19:10 am »
It's evident that there are a lot of people in this thread that get all their information on players second hand. Of all the players Spurs bought last summer there are 2 you could legitimately say flopped, Lamela and Soldado. Any manager in their right mind would be chomping at the bit to work with the former and imo the latter was used very poorly by AVB and was then under the guidance of an utter clown in Sherwood.

Pochettino has already shown himself to be a brilliant man manager so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he managed to really get them gelling as a group which is exactly what they need. Not only does he have a strong core there to work with, with the likes of Lloris, Kaboul, Chiricheș (who I thought was excellent when fit last season), Capoue, Dembele, Erisken etc but he also has a lot of players he could sell off to add to what you think would be already a fairly sizeable kitty.

Lots of people seem to be talking about this like he's a dead man walking already but I really think it's a win win situation for Pochettino. If he succeeds (from the outside looking in and given what's happening at other clubs I think 5th would represent a very good season for Spurs) then he'll be walking on water because Spurs are a shambles currently. If he fails spectacularly it's not really going to affect his standing in the game too badly because Spurs are a shambles.

I think it's a smart move by him and I dare say he'll do very well at Spurs. If he gets them gelling quickly and makes some smart purchases I think they could be one of the best teams to watch next season.
Daniel Levy is the epitome of Championship Manager, or whatever it's called these days.
Thank fuck we seem to have owners who are letting Brendan do his job.

Stand by for Daniel Levy being Spurs manager pretty soon.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:20:57 am by Terry de Niro »

Online surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2014, 03:46:01 am »
Perhaps rather than Spurs being very attractive for Pocchetino, the bigger issue for him could have been to get the hell out of Southampton. Spurs are a level up, just about. Judging by the reports coming out of the club of their main players looking for champions league football, Pocchettino being non committal on his future etc...all the protagonists knew that they were at the end of a 'project'.

Some decent centre mids will be moving in this transfer window...whether it's Schneiderlin from his former club or Capoue. Sandro could go as well. As someone has mentioned, they definitely need to sell a few of their midfielders....far too many.