Author Topic: Wayne Rooney  (Read 296796 times)

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wayne Rooney
« Reply #2280 on: January 9, 2017, 06:10:48 pm »
Some players look after themselves physcially and you can see them keeping playing, and then there is Wayne Rooney. He has not really looked after himself, and given his early start, he is in footballing terms a high mileage vehicle with 2 not particularly careful owners, with a patchy service records, and bald tires that have been retreaded. Dodgy history including bumping some old bangers.

He does not have another 4 years in the Premier League left in him.

The whole time people like Moyes and Allardyce and maybe even Hughes are about and the media still proclaim him to be world class, or very nearly, he will find a berth at a premier league club, and on extortionate wages. Those managers will never be criticised for taking him.

Having said that I doubt he'll get within 40 of Shearer's record even if he's around for another 4 years.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2281 on: January 9, 2017, 06:42:48 pm »
The whole time people like Moyes and Allardyce and maybe even Hughes are about and the media still proclaim him to be world class, or very nearly, he will find a berth at a premier league club, and on extortionate wages. Those managers will never be criticised for taking him.

Having said that I doubt he'll get within 40 of Shearer's record even if he's around for another 4 years.

I'm sure someone like Allardyce would love to take him when his contract at the Mancs is up.  Likewise the Moysiah.  However, are either of those two going to be at clubs that can offer the money MLS or Chinese teams can offer?  No.  He won't be playing for another team in this league when he leaves Snake Mountain.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #2282 on: January 9, 2017, 09:45:01 pm »
Do you think it's the mileage mostly or has he really been bad at looking after himself? He always seems to be in shape and have a good engine to me, albeit from afar.

Both.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2283 on: January 9, 2017, 10:09:35 pm »
Not a chance in hell he'll topple Shearer's record
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2284 on: January 9, 2017, 10:38:52 pm »
Because he's English and the closest to a flair player since Gascogne;
He's been ranked alongside Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho et al...which of course he's not close to.

But he was put there.

However for what he actually is; he's been brilliant over the years

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2285 on: January 9, 2017, 11:20:40 pm »
Because he's English and the closest to a flair player since Gascogne;
He's been ranked alongside Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho et al...which of course he's not close to.

But he was put there.

However for what he actually is; he's been brilliant over the years

Absolutely no one, not even the most deluded Manc, ranks him alongside those players!

There were a few years early in his career when it looked like he possibly could reach that elite level one day.  And before Ronaldo & Messi exploded the three of them were often mentioned together, which was fair enough at the time. But Ronaldo and Messi took it to a whole new level (several levels in fact) above Rooney and any comparisons ended in the late 2000s.

Even though he wasn't at that level, he was undoubtably a brilliant player for a decade or so - we'd have absolutely adored everything about him if he was one of ours - and played a big part in club sides that won every trophy available. In terms of Premier League era attackers, he wasn't at the level of the likes of Suarez, Shearer and Henry, but easily (at his peak) in the level below (with Aguero, Sanchez, Wright, Drogba, etc).

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2286 on: January 9, 2017, 11:54:12 pm »
In terms of Premier League era attackers, he wasn't at the level of the likes of Suarez, Shearer and Henry, but easily (at his peak) in the level below (with Aguero, Sanchez, Wright, Drogba, etc).

;D

That's a hell of a list. I take it you mean Alexis Sanchez, because I don't think Hugo Sanchez played in the PL? In which case Alexis Sanchez doesn't even register on a list of best PL strikers ever unless you do a top 100.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline the good half

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2287 on: January 10, 2017, 07:45:33 am »
Absolutely no one, not even the most deluded Manc, ranks him alongside those players!

There were a few years early in his career when it looked like he possibly could reach that elite level one day.  And before Ronaldo & Messi exploded the three of them were often mentioned together, which was fair enough at the time. But Ronaldo and Messi took it to a whole new level (several levels in fact) above Rooney and any comparisons ended in the late 2000s.

Even though he wasn't at that level, he was undoubtably a brilliant player for a decade or so - we'd have absolutely adored everything about him if he was one of ours - and played a big part in club sides that won every trophy available. In terms of Premier League era attackers, he wasn't at the level of the likes of Suarez, Shearer and Henry, but easily (at his peak) in the level below (with Aguero, Sanchez, Wright, Drogba, etc).
So you agree with me. If not; you're just saying what I said.

The media and marketing/advertising people needed an English equilivent to those players.
Rooney was their man.
So they elevated him up there. Rubbing shoulders with them on Fifa games and Adidas n Pepsi ads.
Somehow they contrived to establish Rooney as being in that top elite.
Even Rooney I guess would say that was a joke.
But somehow people seem to compare him with those players; when clearly he is nowhere near.
I would say not even in that second tier.
But a great player nonetheless.

But of course you knew that's what I was aying because you read my whole post and considered it before responding, right?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2288 on: January 10, 2017, 08:14:37 am »
;D

That's a hell of a list. I take it you mean Alexis Sanchez, because I don't think Hugo Sanchez played in the PL? In which case Alexis Sanchez doesn't even register on a list of best PL strikers ever unless you do a top 100.

Ha! Yeah maybe. He's currently head and shoulders above everyone else in a poll of 'Best Current Prem Player' on these hallowed pages, which doesn't say much about the state of the Premier League at the moment if you're right....

So you agree with me. If not; you're just saying what I said.

The media and marketing/advertising people needed an English equilivent to those players.
Rooney was their man.
So they elevated him up there. Rubbing shoulders with them on Fifa games and Adidas n Pepsi ads.
Somehow they contrived to establish Rooney as being in that top elite.
Even Rooney I guess would say that was a joke.
But somehow people seem to compare him with those players; when clearly he is nowhere near.
I would say not even in that second tier.
But a great player nonetheless.

But of course you knew that's what I was aying because you read my whole post and considered it before responding, right?

Sorry mate, guess I misunderstood your original message. Even reading it back now though you do seem to be saying he's rated alongside Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane and Ronaldinho, which he isn't. 

I think you're confusing marketing a player with rating a player. Some players are more marketable than others for any number of reasons. Take Beckham. The most marketable player in the history of football but not even in the top 100 players of the last 30 years. Just because he's heavily marketed "on Fifa games and Adidas n Pepsi ads" doesn't mean anyone's saying he's as good as the elite players.

Same with Rooney. He's not as maketable as Beckham but he still sells a lot of tat.

And besides, there's any number of players that appear in these ads too - James Rodriguez, Jordan Henderson, Paul Pogba, etc. Do you also think that "they" are "contriving" to put these players amongst the elite???

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2289 on: January 10, 2017, 08:28:38 am »
has to be said its a good achievement by rooney, Utd have had some great players and the fact that he tops the list is impressive.
he will finish his career as all time top goal scorer for his club and country.
he has been over rated and doesn't seem to have looked after himself that well but a very good career.
don't think he'll even consider trying to top shearers target. I think he has been hanging on trying to top bobby Charlton so he can use it as a marketing line when hes finished - utd and englands all time top scorer. think he will go to mls in the summer.

Offline the good half

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2290 on: January 10, 2017, 09:24:16 am »
Ha! Yeah maybe. He's currently head and shoulders above everyone else in a poll of 'Best Current Prem Player' on these hallowed pages, which doesn't say much about the state of the Premier League at the moment if you're right....

Sorry mate, guess I misunderstood your original message. Even reading it back now though you do seem to be saying he's rated alongside Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane and Ronaldinho, which he isn't. 

I think you're confusing marketing a player with rating a player. Some players are more marketable than others for any number of reasons. Take Beckham. The most marketable player in the history of football but not even in the top 100 players of the last 30 years.

And besides, there's any number of players that appear in these ads too - James Rodriguez, Jordan Henderson, Paul Pogba, etc. Do you also think that "they" are "contriving" to put these players amongst the elite???
Beckham is always 'rated ' in lists of top players.
Certainly when he was in his pomp.
Those who know football (and I like to think I am one) laughed at this; but there he was.
I remember naming the French national squad in 2002 in an argument with someone to prove that that team alone had 8 players who were better.

But there was David. Rated.

My point about Rooney is fair and I don't think I am mistaking marketing and rating here.
He was rated between 2006 and 2011ish as being in the top (perhaps not very top; where only 2/3 players live) players of the day.
As ridiculous as that is. But he was.

And Fifa, Pepsi, Adidas and TK Max lapped it up.

Hence my long exisiting argument: If Paul Scholes looked like David Beckham he would be widely regarded as one of the greats both inside and outside of knowledgable football watchers.
Regarding your second point about James, Jordan.
No I don't think they are contriving, but when that game first came out - no way would those lads or players lower down been on that cover.
There are hundreds of covers now depending on where the game is sold.
Columbia-Rodriques.

I may be wrong, but in the early versions of Fifa and the like, there were only the standard covers.
I don't play them but I figure that's where it was then.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:28:20 am by the good half of xmas »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2291 on: January 10, 2017, 05:52:58 pm »
Beckham is always 'rated ' in lists of top players.
Certainly when he was in his pomp.
Those who know football (and I like to think I am one) laughed at this; but there he was.
I remember naming the French national squad in 2002 in an argument with someone to prove that that team alone had 8 players who were better.

But there was David. Rated.

He wasn't even the second best player at Man Utd when he was there.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2292 on: January 19, 2017, 09:02:05 pm »
Fully expecting him to end up in Shanghai by the summer once he breaks the record.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2293 on: January 19, 2017, 09:11:14 pm »
Fully expecting him to end up in Shanghai by the summer once he breaks the record.

In Didsbury?  They do a great all you can eat buffet in there apparently.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #2294 on: January 20, 2017, 12:18:52 pm »
Heard he's bottled Martin Tyler's jizz.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #2295 on: January 20, 2017, 12:31:26 pm »
Some players look after themselves physcially and you can see them keeping playing, and then there is Wayne Rooney. He has not really looked after himself, and given his early start, he is in footballing terms a high mileage vehicle with 2 not particularly careful owners, with a patchy service records, and bald tires that have been retreaded. Dodgy history including bumping some old bangers.

He does not have another 4 years in the Premier League left in him.

:) nice analogy

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2296 on: January 20, 2017, 01:51:54 pm »

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #2297 on: January 21, 2017, 07:47:07 pm »
Just watched Carra and Terry Henry going through Rooney's goal and declaring that the overhead "kick" against City was his best.

Wtf? How can they continue to peddle this shit? If a player tries to kick a ball and he actually makes contact with the top of his shin pad, then where the ball goes is an accident. It really is that simple.

I know we are living in a post-truth world but that's just shameful. And there are some who will tell us that Carra is a good pundit!
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2298 on: January 21, 2017, 07:51:04 pm »
SKY SPORTS TOP STORY - WAYNE ROONEY BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Come back when you can match this

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2299 on: January 21, 2017, 07:53:31 pm »
Just watched Carra and Terry Henry going through Rooney's goal and declaring that the overhead "kick" against City was his best.

Wtf? How can they continue to peddle this shit? If a player tries to kick a ball and he actually makes contact with the top of his shin pad, then where the ball goes is an accident. It really is that simple.
It was The Best Goal Ever In The History Of Football. Deal with it, mate.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2300 on: January 21, 2017, 07:57:13 pm »
He does alright for being let out of his enclosure once every so often.  He's probably got a chance at beating Shearer's record, he'll have more time to train now Barnum & Bailey are shutting down.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2301 on: January 21, 2017, 08:08:00 pm »
Surely his goal against Newcastle was better?

Anyway, how is this their TOP STORY on the website? Laughable stuff

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2302 on: January 21, 2017, 09:36:23 pm »
Aye that Newcastle one was quality but was a meaningless game, the overhead kick won the manc Derby so can see why that one was chosen

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2303 on: January 21, 2017, 09:41:23 pm »
Aye that Newcastle one was quality but was a meaningless game, the overhead kick won the manc Derby so can see why that one was chosen

You can see why a miskick was chosen? Ffs, the world has gone completely mad.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2304 on: January 21, 2017, 09:55:21 pm »
So he is still 30 odd behind Sir Roger and 96 behind Rushie.

It will be laughable to see them unveiling a statue of a scouser outside castle grey skull.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #2305 on: January 21, 2017, 09:57:38 pm »
horrible c*nt, leaches in many ways he stands for all that is wrong with modern football.
Tell you something don't give a fuck what I was being paid, I would not take my wife and young kids into my place of work with 70 odd thousand singing songs about the people of their city, friends and family of theirs pure bile , whilst Coleen is sat in the exec lounge with a Martini and a big grin on her grid.
I suppose the funny thing is that a scouser is probably going to remain their all time scorer. Oooooh the irony.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2306 on: January 21, 2017, 09:57:46 pm »

It will be laughable to see them unveiling a statue of a scouser outside castle grey skull.

Snake Mountain.

Bobby Charlton sounded a bit bitter about it the miserable old c*nt.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2307 on: January 21, 2017, 10:42:57 pm »
:)

Rushie will soon be looking over his shoulder....with a pair of high-powered binoculars.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #2308 on: January 21, 2017, 11:39:23 pm »
Always gonna be pleasing to see any scouser as their top scorer - and the record seems unlikely to ever change hands again , the way the game is going. The more pleased about it we are, the more annoyed they will get with us AND Rooney.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2309 on: January 21, 2017, 11:52:10 pm »
You can see why a miskick was chosen? Ffs, the world has gone completely mad.
it was a shinner not a miskick

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2310 on: January 21, 2017, 11:59:13 pm »
I'm assuming he'll be Sir Potato Head come the summer or next new year then. If anyone achieves anything with that lot they seem to get an honour bestowed on them, even if other people have achieved more with other clubs.

We've all seen the type of people get/accept honours though, so he's welcome to it.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2311 on: January 22, 2017, 08:06:32 am »
it was a shinner not a miskick

Ah thats alright then - best goal ever.

Jesus wept.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2312 on: January 27, 2017, 08:10:35 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2313 on: January 28, 2017, 11:30:19 am »
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2314 on: July 7, 2017, 06:16:09 pm »

'Can I take your order Sir'

'three bacon double cheeseburgers, four portions of chips and two large Cokes please'

''is that all Sir?'

'a Happy Meal for the child please'

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2315 on: July 7, 2017, 06:19:01 pm »

'three bacon double cheeseburgers, four portions of chips and two large Cokes please'

''is that all Sir?'

..and make them diet cokes please.  ;D
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2316 on: July 7, 2017, 06:29:42 pm »
He looks so sheepish in that photo, knowing full well that the picture of him in a MacDonalds will end up the internet. Fat bastard.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2317 on: July 7, 2017, 07:26:14 pm »

''is that all Sir?'

Those employees stopped smiling when they saw Luke Shaw in the car behind.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2017, 07:29:28 pm by diarrhea »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2318 on: July 7, 2017, 07:39:03 pm »

''is that all Sir?'

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
« Reply #2319 on: July 8, 2017, 12:09:52 pm »
He looks unimpressed in that photo.
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)