Author Topic: Round table: Firmino the next piece in the puzzle  (Read 91413 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round table: Firmino the next piece in the puzzle
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2015, 04:39:48 am »
Marcotti's thoughts: "Roberto Firmino does many of the things Coutinho can do and was supposed to be Liverpool's big summer signing, along with Christian Benteke.

Conventional wisdom would suggest you'd put your best players in positions where they can exact maximum damage which, in Firmino's case, is between the lines, with players running off him. We've seen little of that."
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2015, 05:06:01 am »
Bob Firmy will come good. Trust me people. Trust me. I said trust me. Fucking trust me!!

Sorry I need to calm down.

Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline kred

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2015, 05:23:18 am »
The way things are going, there's one Firmino piece, being fitted into a few jigsaw puzzles. 

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2015, 06:51:55 am »
Bob Firmy will come good. Trust me people. Trust me. I said trust me. Fucking trust me!!

Sorry I need to calm down.

Have to say, I'm surprised by the number of doubters. He has too much quality for it not to shine through sooner or later.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2015, 07:32:42 am »

Not If he's stuck at left wing back, he won't
Xerxes MBE

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2015, 07:37:24 am »
Play him.in his actual position and there's a player there.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2015, 08:22:01 am »
He (and all the other attackers bar Benteke) is being played too far away from goal.
If we were solid then it would be worth it but we aren't so what's the point?
Needs to be as close to Benteke as possible.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2015, 11:41:11 am »
I think he was poor at Old Trafford. He's out of position but it was the basics he was getting wrong; wanting too much time on the ball, giving it away cheaply. Certainly not writing him off though and I thought he did fairly well at Arsenal. With the likes of Torres, Alonso, Suarez, those big signings shone immediately and you saw what huge talents they were from their first game. Not quite got that with Firmino yet but hopefully it's just a bedding in process. Thing is, for the money we paid for him, we need him to deliver. You don't pay 30 million and hope he gets better as the season goes on.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2015, 01:54:05 pm »
The correct position for him is the same as Coutinho, I'm not sure how we get them both on the pitch at the same time.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2015, 01:55:20 pm »
The correct position for him is the same as Coutinho, I'm not sure how we get them both on the pitch at the same time.

One at the bottom of the diamond and 1 at the tip of the diamond

Firmino

LM               RM

Coutinho

Firmino can score goals and provide assists.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »

Firmino

LM               RM

Coutinho

Wouldn't mind seeing that tried.  Not convinced it would work, mind.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2015, 02:01:17 pm »
Play him.in his actual position and there's a player there.

I'm sure there is, but the problem is that his best position is also Coutinho's best position.  How do we get them both in the same team?  Does anyone know how Brazil managed it during the summer?

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2015, 02:01:19 pm »

On the contrary I think Coutinho is better off deeper with plenty of players up in front of him. Think his best and most consistent performances for us came when he was in the middle and Sterling was at the tip. Firmino should in theory just fit in where Sterling was. With Benteke and Sturridge in the side it looks pretty lethal.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2015, 02:01:35 pm »

Firmino

LM               RM

Coutinho

This has given me an idea, you guys.  We should totally play... A ROTATING DIAMOND.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2015, 02:02:07 pm »
I really should have finished reading the thread before I posted!

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2015, 02:03:02 pm »
Wouldn't mind seeing that tried.  Not convinced it would work, mind.

We'd be great going forward, but opposition attacks would go through us like shit through a goose.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »
We'd be great going forward, but opposition attacks would go through us like shit through a goose.

As opposed to?

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2015, 02:26:59 pm »
I don't think he has the same vision or passing as Coutinho to be that creative attacking midfielder lynchpin for us. I see him as a 2nd striker, operating in a central area who can do a bit of everything - good finisher, decent dribbler, very good passer and will making important runs. He doesn't have the explosive pace of Sterling and would probably struggle a bit if utilised as a winger. Put him alongside a decent striker, and get him linking up with either wide player or the striker and he'll be that guy who keeps showing up in the right areas and scoring goals (like Maxi some years ago). Unfortunately, we've not deployed him in that form in any game.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2015, 02:34:26 pm »
Bit worried about him. Hopefully we see more flashes of talent in the upcoming home games.

Although concessions can be made due to his lack of PL experience and apparently being played out of position, but the lack of a decent touch and the constant giving away of the ball is becoming really frustrating and shouldn't be happening regardless of where he's played, considering the esteem Brazilian technicians are held in its a bit of a surprise he can't seem to retain the ball for more than 5 seconds before losing it.

Also I remember people raving about his pressing and Suarez-like tenacity when he came but I'm yet to see any of this, if anything he seems a bit of a soft touch.

Needs a big performance and a goal.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:36:02 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2015, 09:12:58 pm »
Marcotti's thoughts: "Roberto Firmino does many of the things Coutinho can do and was supposed to be Liverpool's big summer signing, along with Christian Benteke.

Conventional wisdom would suggest you'd put your best players in positions where they can exact maximum damage which, in Firmino's case, is between the lines, with players running off him. We've seen little of that."

Concerned he'll be another one Rodgers just won't use properly and he'll struggle. If he was more a committee buy Rodgers won't be too bothered to give him the chances and time he'd afford to someone like Lallana who he personally pushed for.

Coutinho and Lallana seem to be ahead of him in his actual position and if he's just shoved wide then he's not going to look good. I hope we haven't got another Markovic on our hands.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline flinner

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2015, 09:26:21 pm »
Looks to me that he just hasn't adapted to the premierships break neck speed yet, he looks a yard off the pace, think when he adjusts he will be a cracking player.
"We've created an environment where a complete moron can not only survive, but thrive."

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2015, 05:21:42 pm »
Concerned he'll be another one Rodgers just won't use properly and he'll struggle. If he was more a committee buy Rodgers won't be too bothered to give him the chances and time he'd afford to someone like Lallana who he personally pushed for.

Coutinho and Lallana seem to be ahead of him in his actual position and if he's just shoved wide then he's not going to look good. I hope we haven't got another Markovic on our hands.
We should stick him up top with Benteke then.

Coutinho

Firmino   Benteke

With a 3 man midfield behind them. Could be decent.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2015, 09:28:39 am »
Think he's done well so far, can see he's still getting used to thigs but he's set up 2 big chances for benteke and his shot that hit the post was a great shot

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2015, 09:32:16 am »
I'm sure there is, but the problem is that his best position is also Coutinho's best position.  How do we get them both in the same team?  Does anyone know how Brazil managed it during the summer?

I'd play Coutinho deeper, more centre mid area

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2015, 05:56:07 pm »
It is early days for Firmino, but watching him the other day I thought that he is not of the caliber that will take a leadership role in a struggling team and carry the team on his own. The price tag suggests he should be, but he is not. Some players are great players in a given system.

If the team game is setup well, players perform very well. I thought Moreno is this type of player, and so is Markovic, IMO. In a right system with a right manager, and given the right role, these players will do very well. I think Firmino is in that category as well. A bit like Kagawa, too, for example. We could add Ozil here as well. But if the team is collection of individuals with no cohesive team game, these players will struggle.

My point is, until Liverpool's team game is back to a decent standard, Firmino will struggle whether you put him centrally or behind the striker, second striker, first striker, winger etc. These are somewhat secondary to his adaptation. A decent pass and move football is a must for these kinds of players. Coutinho would benefit a lot from this, too.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2015, 06:22:50 pm »
I would have played him next to Benteke until Sturridge is back. He's a much better player than Ings.
With Studge back I'm not sure.
Against a weaker team like Norwich I could see Coutinho in the midfield:
Lucas
Coutinho Milner/Can
Firmino
Sturridge Benteke

Coutinho's defence has improved a lot the last year, which makes this more realistic.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:28:08 pm by jepovic »

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2015, 06:25:02 pm »
Wouldn't mind seeing him in front of a pairing of coutinho and Milner and then benteke and sturridge/ings in front of that.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2015, 06:29:03 pm »
Wouldn't mind seeing him in front of a pairing of coutinho and Milner and then benteke and sturridge/ings in front of that.

With Moreno playing LB for some width, yes please.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2015, 06:32:01 pm »
was hoping he'd be one of those rare beasts - an overseas LFC signing who hits the ground running ....as it stands I think it may be a while before he starts to justify the inflated transfer fee.....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2015, 07:23:01 pm »
I think Lallana's potential to score goals is higher than Firmino but I get the impression that once Firmino settles in he will be far more a creative force than Lallana.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2015, 07:53:29 pm »
We should stick him up top with Benteke then.

Coutinho

Firmino   Benteke

With a 3 man midfield behind them. Could be decent.

I would as well but what about when Sturridge is back? Which begs the question what did we sign Firmino for? What's the plan? Where did we envisage him playing and in what system? I wondered it when we signed him given we already had Coutinho and Lallana and i'm none the wiser now.

I feared he'd be just shoved wide out of position.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2015, 07:57:09 pm »
I feared he'd be just shoved wide out of position.
How do you know what his best position is? Were you watching him a lot at Hoffenheim?

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2015, 07:58:43 pm »
I think Lallana's potential to score goals is higher than Firmino but I get the impression that once Firmino settles in he will be far more a creative force than Lallana.

You appear to have made two backhanded compliments that if they work out will enhance the season enormously.

On another related note, do we now start making firmer connections in our shaping of the team due to our forced position of no Henderson?. Our hand is forced all of a sudden, but it is a negative we can work from, from Monday onwards at Melwood anyway, whatever we do Sunday.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2015, 08:22:10 pm »
Coutinho as a CM and Firmino as a number 10. With Benteke and Sturridge upfront will work 100%. Need to see it ASAP

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2015, 08:29:08 pm »
Coutinho as a CM and Firmino as a number 10. With Benteke and Sturridge upfront will work 100%. Need to see it ASAP

Agreed, we need to persevere until it clicks with those 4 on the pitch at the same time.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2015, 08:44:38 pm »
Perhaps it's because I'm watching our games of late half asleep, but I haven't really seen anything that justified his hype from Firmino so far.
Looks like the pace of the league has caught him by surprise. Hope he finds his stride soon.

Offline The Klapp

• Anny Roader
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2015, 11:33:35 am »
he doesn't even fit in the puzzle if we play a diamond

in fact he doesn't fit in most formations

confusing buy

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2015, 11:41:37 am »

confusing buy

Tip of the diamond in a 4-4-2

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2015, 11:45:22 am »

confusing buy

Why?

Hes played his best football on the left and in the middle,

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2015, 11:51:16 am »

confusing buy

Of course he does, this would get both he and Coutinho in their best positions:

Lucas

Milner                                  Coutinho

Firmino

Sturridge         Benteke
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"