Author Topic: Munich 1958  (Read 63587 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Munich 1958
« Reply #120 on: May 2, 2011, 09:41:38 pm »
I just finished watching the Bobby Charlton programme that was on BBC2 the other day (I'd Sky+ it). What a top bloke he is. If you haven't seen it, I'd thoroughly recommend you try to find a way to.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #121 on: May 2, 2011, 09:58:40 pm »
Tragic, tragic event and the BBC programme the other week just confirmed how sad the disaster was.

I've heard our so called fans chanting bile about Munich a few times and its made me sick. These arent real fans, the same as the blue noses, Man Utd and Man City fans who scream "murders" and "Hillsborough" at us.

How the hell can they 'support' a team and the game when they chant stuff like that?!?
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #122 on: May 3, 2011, 02:46:54 pm »
RIP to the 'Busby Babes'

Its a crying shame those players never became true greats and remembered for their football rather than their tragic deaths.

“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline BernardGarcia

• Anny Roader
  • Bound By Wild Desire
« Reply #123 on: May 3, 2011, 04:55:38 pm »
Never really looked into Munich so this was an eye opener. For years I've heard abuse directed in the form of jokes from United fans and I am ashamed to say under the influence of alcohol I have responded in the same lowly manner at times. After reading this and looking into it further I most certainly never will again.

It would be good for a large proportion of our fan base to be aware of the details of what happened in Munich in the hope of changing this culture for the better of future generations.
Love to see that lad kiss his wrist!

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #124 on: May 6, 2011, 02:59:39 pm »
The pilot was blamed and vilified.

The co-pilot was blamed for not checking the wings for ice.

The German authorities refused to accept that the crash was caused by slush on the runway.

In my opinion the FA/league should shoulder some responsibility; they were not happy that English teams were playing in Europe and refused to delay the weekend game hence making it imperative that Utd returned that day.

The co-pilot the only crew member that survived, lost his job and died in his fifties from a heart attack.

I seem to remember reading that the pilot's children were bullied at school and had a pretty dreadful time.

Yet again the disaster was a shameful example of authorities refusing to accept that their poor systems were to blame and heaping the responsibility on the pilots. The British authorities even refused to hold an inquiry once it became clear that the German aviation authorities and runway maintenance at Munich were the main issues in case the Germans were offended!!

Offline call me red

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2011, 10:32:00 pm »
I just finished watching the Bobby Charlton programme that was on BBC2 the other day (I'd Sky+ it). What a top bloke he is. If you haven't seen it, I'd thoroughly recommend you try to find a way to.
:)

Tell yer what a top bloke about 1967/68 not long after England had won the world cup we`d just played Man Utd at anfield after the game i was at Lime St then coaches could go into the station and the Man Utd coach came into the Station anyway still made up with winning the world cup i asked old Bobby for his autograph, I was just a kid asking for autograph,
Top bloke Bobby looked at me like a piece a shit and said "No " and got on the train.
Funnily enough i stopped askin players for auto Graphs after that.

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #126 on: February 6, 2012, 08:32:01 am »
R.I.P.  :(
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #127 on: February 6, 2012, 09:10:45 am »
Rest in Peace.

A tragic story.
YNWA

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #128 on: February 6, 2012, 12:44:55 pm »
54 years today.
Rest in peace.
A tragedy indeed.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #129 on: February 6, 2012, 12:55:51 pm »
A tragic event and so very sad for everyone involved.

RIP  :(
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #130 on: February 6, 2012, 01:27:34 pm »
RIP

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #131 on: February 6, 2012, 01:38:54 pm »
I was 14 yrs old when the Munich disaster happened, of course there wasn´t any Sky News, so information came by way of radio and the tele news bulletins, when I heard that Duncan Edwards was very ill, I was really really upset and then when he news that he had died from his injuries came through I was broken hearted, I cried myself to sleep that night.I had lost one of my heroes, later on in life I was talking to Mr.Shankly about it and his eyes filled and he left the room for a while, when he came back he was mumbling about having something in his eye.

This business of singing about the dead has to stop, it really does

RIP
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #132 on: February 6, 2012, 02:11:00 pm »
RIP
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 6, 2012, 02:58:59 pm »
R.I.P.
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #134 on: February 6, 2012, 04:32:18 pm »
54 years on, still not forgotten and never will be.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #135 on: February 6, 2012, 06:00:41 pm »
A tragic event. Rest in Peace
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Zürren

• Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: February 7, 2012, 10:28:01 pm »
At the end of a storm...

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #137 on: February 8, 2012, 08:28:06 pm »
Posted before but worth doing it again here, have we progressed since these days, in some ways no

Busby was sold to Liverpool for Ł8,000 on 12 March 1936, having made more than 200 appearances for Manchester City. He made his debut for the Reds just two days later, on 14 March, away to Huddersfield Town; the match ended in a 1–0 Liverpool defeat. Busby opened his goalscoring account a month later – his 47th minute strike helped his team to a 2–2 draw with Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park. Busby soon made the number 4 shirt his own, ousting Ted Savage in the process. He rarely missed a game over the following three seasons. This consistency earned Busby the Liverpool captaincy and he led the club with great distinction. Along with Jimmy McDougall and Tom Bradshaw, Busby made up what is considered by many to be the best half-back line Liverpool had ever had.[8]
Bob Paisley joined Liverpool from Bishop Auckland in 1939, and it was Busby who took him under his wing and showed him the ropes at Anfield. This led to a lifelong friendship between two of the most successful managers in English football history. The Second World War arrived soon after, and with it came an end to Busby's playing days. Like many of the Liverpool playing staff, he signed on for national service in the King's Liverpool Regiment.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #138 on: February 8, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »
RIP.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Reds4Life

• Foot In Mouth Disease and Negative Hate Campaign Victim.
  • Kopite
  • LFC - A bastion of invincibility
« Reply #139 on: February 9, 2012, 02:04:51 am »
I remember my Grandad always telling me what a player that Duncan Edwards was. Obviously any loss of life is a terrible and tragic thing to all those who are associated but Duncan Edwards was always the one me Grandad talked about.

Captained England at 17, could dribble like a wizard and always seemed to have the ball on a string. Had the world literally at his feet and me Grandad was always quick to mention his manner and maturity for someone so young.

I pray that a lot of the new generation of football followers can read and appreciate that there is so much history and tradition between Liverpool Football Club and Manchester United Football Club rather than get dragged into the cesspool that is tit-for-tat insults, references to tragic times and using these for ridiculous oneupmanship.

For those who say "They call us murderers, give us shit about Hillsborough, brought an inflatable skeleton to Anfield wrapped in a scarf singing about Shankly etc etc", we were singing about Munich long before that ever happened... hence the "Where's your famous Munich chants?"

Shanks once said "Football is not a matter of life or death, it's so much more important than that."

His tongue was firmly in his cheek and he would never in a million years have predicted what was about to occur to his beloved football club over the course of the next 15-20 years (Heysel and Hillsborough)

Those eternal flames, those names you see etched outside the club forever to be remembered, lost their lives supporting the team they love.

Football was never meant to be about this. Football was always meant to be the game for the working class to put their lives and struggles to one side for a moment in time and enjoy life for a couple of hours.

I am not saying for a second to give up your passion, what I am asking for though is a bit of common sense.

Enough is enough.

Someone needs to be the bigger person. Put up their hand and say we're not having this anymore.

We can co-exist as clubs and supporters without the venomous hatred which is permeating more and more whenever this fixture rolls around.

The media love it. They pray for it. It gives them the headlines that they thrive on.

I lost a family member at Hillsborough. I was at Anfield for a couple of weeks after, not really knowing why I was continually going but happy once I got there as I felt a sense of belonging, like my soul needed to be here amongst the flowers, amongst the scarves, amongst the shirts, amongst the hand written notes, amongst the oranges left on the steps of the Kop because humanity help me overcome the grief and utter disbelief about what had just transpired.

There were plenty of Man U scarves and shirts scattered around Anfield during that time. 

Just as we extended a hand during their darkest hour, so too did they.

Because humanity should always overcome any prejudice, no matter shape or form that prejudice takes.

I am not saying we suddenly have to love them because that is never going to happen. We have a fierce rivalry that has been based not only on the successes on the football field but also because of other events which have occurred due to the proximity of the respective cities in trade etc.

I have been to Old Trafford, I have had the honour of darts being thrown at us, golf balls with nails in them, sharpened 20p pieces, the works.

But kicking their toilets in and spraying shit everywhere isn't going to do anything other than incite them to retaliate.

And what is going to come out of all this?? Nothing but bad.

When you were a kid you would get told to stop fucking around because someone will lose an eye. Well my fear is it could be greater than that if things keep going between the two clubs.

I feel for those who lost loved ones in Munich just as I feel the pain of Heysel and Hillsborough.

The longest journey always begins with the first step.

YNWA
JFT 96

To all the people lucky enough to be in the ground to watch the redmen play. This is your chance. This is your moment. This is your opportunity to lose your voice, the chance to display your unswerving loyalty in search of the holy grail. We shall overcome. We shall unite. We shall believe. We shall share in the spoils of victory!

YNWA, JFT 96

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2012, 08:47:58 am »
PhilScraton posted :-

Munich
6 February 1958

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil,

I've only just got round to this thread and read your superb account of that awful, dreadful day. I want to offer my grateful thanks for your sensitive and for those who know little or nothing of that terrible day, most informative post.

As a 12 year old Manchester lad - United fan of course - coming home from school on the bus I kept hearing murmured whispers about "Terrible" and " Oh no Who's dead?". It wasn't until I got off the bus and passed a newsagent and saw the scrawled headline on the billboard outside the shop that I saw what they'd been talking about. I can close my eyes and immediately see it now - 54 years later and it still chills me to the bone. "United plane crashes in Munich - many dead." We were huddled round the telly waiting for news which was disjointed and slow to emerge back then. As the so sad news began filtering through about which players were lost and which were critically injured, that Thursday night was the first time I ever heard my Dad breaking his heart crying.

My heroes died that day. While others survived they were destroyed physically and mentally. Some never played again, some played but were changed forever and suffered for the rest of their lives as a result. Our emerging giant 21 year old Duncan Edwards lost his fight for life two weeks later - and that was the day I really let my tears come.

And it's absolutely indelibly marked on the psyche of my generation of United fans that first and foremost in the queue offering what help they could to keep us alive as a football club was Liverpool FC. I NEVER forget such friends nor ever will. Credit where credit is due always and NEVER any time is there a place for hatred between football fans whose only REAL difference is that they were born in a different city.
It's one of the deepest sadnesses for me that this horrible vicious chanting has survived after the human tragedies endured by both our clubs, yours in truth far greater than ours with 96 lives lost on a Cup semi final day.

I say this - if it were in my power to end ANYTHING that's bad in today's game, I'd end that in a heartbeat. It's slowly poisoning the minds of both sets of fans and it NEEDS to be dug out - root and branch.

Thanks Phil

There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2012, 09:26:28 am »

You're a credit to your club Johnno, and a credit to this site.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2012, 10:35:10 pm »
Nobody, neither player nor fan, should have to die for their club.  It's football, not war.  RIP and deepest sympathies.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2012, 10:36:19 pm »
PhilScraton posted :-

Munich
6 February 1958

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil,

I've only just got round to this thread and read your superb account of that awful, dreadful day. I want to offer my grateful thanks for your sensitive and for those who know little or nothing of that terrible day, most informative post.

As a 12 year old Manchester lad - United fan of course - coming home from school on the bus I kept hearing murmured whispers about "Terrible" and " Oh no Who's dead?". It wasn't until I got off the bus and passed a newsagent and saw the scrawled headline on the billboard outside the shop that I saw what they'd been talking about. I can close my eyes and immediately see it now - 54 years later and it still chills me to the bone. "United plane crashes in Munich - many dead." We were huddled round the telly waiting for news which was disjointed and slow to emerge back then. As the so sad news began filtering through about which players were lost and which were critically injured, that Thursday night was the first time I ever heard my Dad breaking his heart crying.

My heroes died that day. While others survived they were destroyed physically and mentally. Some never played again, some played but were changed forever and suffered for the rest of their lives as a result. Our emerging giant 21 year old Duncan Edwards lost his fight for life two weeks later - and that was the day I really let my tears come.

And it's absolutely indelibly marked on the psyche of my generation of United fans that first and foremost in the queue offering what help they could to keep us alive as a football club was Liverpool FC. I NEVER forget such friends nor ever will. Credit where credit is due always and NEVER any time is there a place for hatred between football fans whose only REAL difference is that they were born in a different city.
It's one of the deepest sadnesses for me that this horrible vicious chanting has survived after the human tragedies endured by both our clubs, yours in truth far greater than ours with 96 lives lost on a Cup semi final day.

I say this - if it were in my power to end ANYTHING that's bad in today's game, I'd end that in a heartbeat. It's slowly poisoning the minds of both sets of fans and it NEEDS to be dug out - root and branch.

Thanks Phil

This should be read out over the PA system before every Liverpool United fixture
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #144 on: February 6, 2014, 08:58:06 am »
We've had many other threads since this one that commemorate the anniversary of the Munich air disaster, but this one still resonates. A desperately sad and avoidable tragedy, a harrowing experience for the families and the survivors, and a sorrowful loss of the so many young lives amongst a team who were set for greatness. Rest In Peace. 

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 6, 2014, 09:15:17 am »
I will be flying home to Manchester this evening and it will resonate with me that 56 years ago today to the very same day Thursday 6th Feb, in the bleakness of the Bavarian winter, my boyhood heroes and my team were destroyed.

Sleep in peace lads - you've all been sadly missed.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #146 on: February 6, 2014, 09:27:44 am »
You're a credit to your club Johnno, and a credit to this site.

Having read your post above, this still seems fitting Johnno. RIP.

Offline Desi Kopite

• Anny Roader
  • Twitter: @pritsinghlfc
« Reply #147 on: February 6, 2014, 09:37:15 am »
Totally agree with the above Johnno, absolute credit to your club!  RIP...

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #148 on: February 6, 2014, 10:30:15 am »
R.I.P all the Munich Victims, wasnt  Frank Swift on that as well or am i confused?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 6, 2014, 10:46:00 am »
Yep Big Swifty was among the Press who died that day.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 6, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »

RIP
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #151 on: February 6, 2014, 03:23:27 pm »
RIP gone but not forgotten.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 6, 2014, 05:01:12 pm »
RIP
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #153 on: February 6, 2014, 06:13:57 pm »
Such a terrible loss, even after all this time it is still heartbreaking. RIP.

Boocoo dinky dau

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #154 on: February 6, 2014, 07:25:28 pm »
RIP
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 6, 2014, 09:09:46 pm »
RIP

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 6, 2014, 10:14:04 pm »
RIP.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #157 on: February 7, 2014, 04:00:46 am »
I will be flying home to Manchester this evening and it will resonate with me that 56 years ago today to the very same day Thursday 6th Feb, in the bleakness of the Bavarian winter, my boyhood heroes and my team were destroyed.

Sleep in peace lads - you've all been sadly missed.
Beautifully written as usual, Johnno. RIP to all who died that tragic day.

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #158 on: February 8, 2014, 02:55:41 pm »
A very sad day and a sad story.  RIP
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #159 on: February 6, 2015, 09:32:18 am »
A horrendous and avoidable loss of life. Our clubs (and many others) set aside rivalries in the aftermath, and United were able to carry on playing football. The incredibly brave spirit of the Manchester United team (on and off the pitch), and the clubs that helped them carry on, foreshadowed Shankly's famous quote.

Some things are much more important than life and death, and United demonstrated that the game itself was paramount. Rest in Peace.