Author Topic: Liverpool must stave off Suarez vultures  (Read 29287 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Liverpool must stave off Suarez vultures
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:22:05 pm »
If you stand on the centre circle of the Anfield pitch and look skywards, you can see them all. Grey specks of suspicion lining the roofs of the four stands, waiting. A magnificent turn on the byline cranes their bald heads further; every well-taken goal elicits a flap of the wings and sharpening of claws. Above the humdrum murmurs, a hungry squawk reverberates around the Kop.

The vultures have started to circle Luis Suarez.

This has nothing to do with Bayern Munich's reported interest, and more the reality played out before all. That nobody knew Pep Guardiola would join the Bundesliga club last Wednesday, but by Sunday his transfer targets were readily available, is an insult to the reader's intellect. That Suarez’s agent is Pere Guardiola - brother of debonair trophy-machine Pep - makes Suarez’s move to Germany no more likely than Guardiola appearing in the Anfield dugout, holding hands with Lionel Messi.

Regardless of erroneous reporting, if Bayern Munich show no interest in Suarez, they should. But to the back of the queue they go. For any team with an open chequebook and visions of world domination will not allow such an unwonted talent go unwanted. Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid will all sit. They will all wait.

Let's deal with candour, rather than conjecture: Suarez has been one of the top attacking talents in world football over the past two years - a standing that Liverpool cannot match after finishing sixth and eighth in his two seasons at the club. With the club currently in seventh, it is hope, not expectation, for better this year.

The league table doesn't lie. But it does not tell the full story, either. For the first time in a while, there is a tangible feeling of progress under Brendan Rodgers; his squad, and its supporters, continue to rest one hopeful, squinted eye upon Champions League football.

Their glances may prove folly, but at least there’s feasibility, as well. Suarez will also be relieved to finally have support up front, the signing of Daniel Sturridge the key to much, not least the fetters of overzealous defending.

It still might not prove enough. Suarez leaving Liverpool in the summer was even discussed by Steven Gerrard. In a television appearance on Sunday, he said:

"Luis seems happy and settled at the club, but whether he will leave if we don't make the top four is something only he can answer. He knows what his ambitions and dreams are.

“Hopefully we can put up a fight and finish fourth and make that decision for him but Suarez deserves to be in the Champions League, I think everyone would admit that.”

But. The longest, most agonising three-letter word in Liverpool’s lexicon. It is a rarity a player, and man, of such certitude as Gerrard uses it. But he has seen it before. The big two of La Liga took Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano; Chelsea proved too tempting for Fernando Torres. As time ticks by, the feeling persists that Gerrard will always be the last man standing.

Before hysteria takes control and the four horsemen gallop in on their high servants, a moment of calm reflection. Though true Suarez deserves Champions League football, this should act as an encouragement to Liverpool’s hierarchy, not a deterrent. If returning the glory of proper European nights to Anfield is not motivation enough to procure fourth, nor the financial incentives the Champions League brings, perhaps convincing Suarez to illuminate Merseyside a little longer will help.

Not that there is much to convince him of at the moment. His star has never been brighter, and the Uruguayan will be quick to note he is playing for a team bringing the best out of him.

Rodgers has managed to take Suarez's immeasurable, celestial talent and concentrate it; the rough edges, though they still sometimes protrude, but have been smoothed down. No longer is Suarez a blast of energy, expending it against anyone within range, like the human form of a Catherine wheel firework. Now the energy is used far more wisely, the majority of it focused on making defenders rue the moment they signed professional terms.

All the more reason for Liverpool to keep Suarez - and the supporters - happy. Even more than who Suarez is, it is what he represents. Fenway Sports Group will not want another star striker to leave for big money under their ownership. Though Torres' departure ultimately proved the correct decision, it is unfathomable the same would be said of Suarez. There is no worse PR than selling your best players; no worse issue of rebuilding while the foundations beneath are uprooted. No amount of money can replace Suarez. Regardless of his intentions, FSG should remember that.

The signing of Sturridge and concrete interest in Inter Milan’s Philippe Coutinho will also strengthen Suarez’s resolve at Anfield, though a few more players quickly approaching their best would also help. The 25-year-old will not want to spend the peak of his career mid-table in the Premier League, and although there is an unspoken acknowledgement at Liverpool that this could be so, it is not a fate preordained.

Yet with 20 goals already this season and a smile as wide as the River Mersey, it is hard to imagine Suarez anywhere else for the foreseeable future. Indeed, the challenge of restoring Liverpool to former heights is something he is relishing.

He could hardly do much better right now. Such is the level of his performance; it is simple to forget how good he is. No longer do people roll out of bed on a Saturday morning; they bound from it, knowing they are to be treated to a 90-minute exhibition from one of the world’s best. Though nothing is worth the extortionate ticket prices clubs set, this humanisation of sporting theatre comes close, playing with the constant music of reverence and revulsion behind him.

Suarez's playing style  was once likened to watching the Minotaur perform Swan Lake, floating with grace before driving with pugnacity, tenacity, skill and strength; not so. Unlike the Minotaur, Suarez would have weaved through the Labyrinth in his trademark style, slain Theseus and become King of Athens. This is not hyperbole. He’s simply that good.

No wonder the vultures lurk. It’s not the first time in his career they have watched and waited, though those ones care more about feasting on his tempestuous character instead of his supreme ability. A few even swoop at any opportunity; any moment he is fouled, or scowls towards officials with that fiery disposition, is a chance to peck. Suarez cares little and just keeps playing his football in his indomitable style.

Liverpool will hope that is exactly his response once more as the vultures with billions of pounds as feathers sit, watching and waiting.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/545?cc=5739

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool must stave off Suarez vultures
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:43:52 am »
... Not that I'm saying Suarez is in danger of leaving just yet, of course. But to hear Gerrard talk of it did prick the ears. Big test for Liverpool in the coming summer because there will be bids. Only so much is down to them of course, but that's where it is up to those on the pitch to convince him to stay.

royhendo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:17:17 am »
The thing is, it's inevitable he'll leave at some stage, isn't it? It's been good to see the finances holding up in the Deloitte figures this last few hours, but we're not a powerhouse yet by any means. It'll take a powerhouse to fund him as a player, unless his agents sell him short, no?

(And thanks again mate, by the way.)

Offline MacJanner

• Absolute useless poster; his style of play cons no one into thinking he's a decent writer.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Lenin doesn't like me.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:30:38 am »
I think he'll stay if we get top 4, otherwise he will be gone and no one will (or should to be honest) blame him, he could have left last summer and people would have understood, even our captains said he deserved CL football.

I just hope we get a big fee and know who we want to fill the void, we cant afford to splash money out on average buys again that's for sure.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:35:13 am »
Quality op. He'll not play for another EPL team imo so City and can fuck off. If we get close to top 4 this season I reckon he'll give us one more season to see if we can get it as he loves Liverpool. If next season we don't get top 4 then that'll be it he'll go imo.

Offline El Festino

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:40:18 am »
I think he'll stay if we get top 4, otherwise he will be gone and no one will (or should to be honest) blame him, he could have left last summer and people would have understood, even our captains said he deserved CL football.

I just hope we get a big fee and know who we want to fill the void, we cant afford to splash money out on average buys again that's for sure.
How long do you think mate? This season. Its a tall order but i would agree that he could be off in the summer if we don't get top 4. He gets so much shit throw at him that its bound to have an impact at some level along with the football side.

Another reason why i think we should get a few more quality players in during this window. Fourth place is up for grabs.

Offline TheBazz

• tardzz keepz deleting my poztzzzzzz! Blazzphemy! Blazzpheryou! Blazzphereverybody on the forumzzzzzz!
  • Kopite
  • It's the Bazz!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:41:11 am »
Judging from the reaction hes had on the EPL so far, I can highly see him NOT going to any other team, especially after the 'we know what you are' chants. Suarez is a different class of footy player, he actually responds to the fans regardless if theyre home/away supporters. If he leaves it will be for Barca or possibly Real, But lets face it... he deserves to be playing CL every season, and even winning it
@KevinHenshaw1 (not the professional wakeboarder).

Offline MacJanner

• Absolute useless poster; his style of play cons no one into thinking he's a decent writer.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Lenin doesn't like me.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:43:50 am »
How long do you think mate? This season. Its a tall order

Another reason why i think we should get a few more quality players in during this window. Fourth place is up for grabs.

I know, hence i think its unlikely he will stay  :(

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:45:35 am »
I'm enjoying Suarez he is here, it's not like he is Gerrard or Carra who will spend their career here.
My hope is Suarez gives us one more season, then he can leave with our blessing.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 11:47:03 am »
I'd  say there's an 80% chance he'll leave this Summer, a 90% chance he'll be gone by the end of next January's window, and a 100% chance he won't be here after the end of next season.

He'll end up at one of the usual European suspects, and as has been said earlier, I wouldn't blame him.

The main reasons that lead me to this conclusion are:

Don't reckon we'll get CL place for the foreseeable future -  Man U, Man C & Chelsea will just continue to spend their way out of our reach, and Arsenal could do this if they so wished. Brendan is still an unproven manager, and we need him to get virtually every single decision he makes exactly right, if we are to break into the top 4. Haven't seen enough evidence yet to suggest he's capable of this.

Someone will offer over £40m for Luis, and FSG won't turn that kind of dosh down if they did.

Luis' own ambitions [not to mention those of his agents] will also mean he seeks pastures new within this timescale, I reckon.

All guesswork of course, but that's my ten bob's worth.

Offline audioedge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What would Buddha do?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 11:47:16 am »
What this proves to me is we need a few more marquee players instead of relying on just one (was Torres now Suarez). Other teams in the top 4 can afford to lose a star player (or two in some cases), we cant. Either that or we all lower our expectations about winning the PL, or even coming 4th. Look at the pattern: we build a team around our 'star man' and when the right offer comes in we have to sell (forced into it by player demands) and we are virtually back to square one. Its all well and good building a young squad full of potential, but as these players fulfil that potential they have ambition to win things and if they cant see the club matching that ambition they will also move on. We will be stuck in a vicious circle. 

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:18 am »
We'll struggle to keep him in the summer if we are not at the top table. He is reaching his peak and a top class footballer he should be in europes top competition. Doubt he'd go to an other prem club but after Torres who knows. As long as we don't spunk the £40m+ on a ponytailed geordie shore reject we'll survive.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:26 am »
Departure does seem inevitable.
We probably won't progress fast enough to keep his hunger satisfied.
Shame really.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 11:55:25 am »
Its good to know he feels settled, and best of all, his family is happy here too.

Irrespective of our final position I believe he will be here next season.

He loves a challenge and at the moment the fight to get up the table drives him to do better every game. If we make 4th it will only help to get the best out of him next season
Doubters to Believers

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:08:32 pm »
There's not a lot of options. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are probably the only three. He won't go to another Premier League club you'd think and Inter + Milan are cutting back while Juventus have just signed Lorrente. I think he might stay another year if it's only Bayern that chase him.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:27 pm »
One major plus in terms of Luis staying is the support the club gave him during the Evra incident.

Really dont see much chance of him leaving this summer.

Maybe in summer 2014 if we dont have CL football by then.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:51 pm »
If you ever go into the Liverpool Museum and ask the attendant where the bog is he will answer "just past the 5 European Cups on the right".
 I'm sure Luis realises who he is playing for and what we could become again with the right work and investment. You can tell he's not
stupid by the way he plays football so I'm sure he'll have worked that out and give us another season at the very least. Some people just give that aura that you'd
choose to have them in the trenches with you and Suarez defintely comes across as somebody who wouldn't jack it in on you if somebody waves a few notes at him. Having said that we could pay him what he's worth and make the whole decision for him and his  family a lot easier

Offline dernaroy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:27 pm »
Judging from the reaction hes had on the EPL so far, I can highly see him NOT going to any other team, especially after the 'we know what you are' chants. Suarez is a different class of footy player, he actually responds to the fans regardless if theyre home/away supporters. If he leaves it will be for Barca or possibly Real, But lets face it... he deserves to be playing CL every season, and even winning it

Whilst I do think this is true and I want to be believe it, I remember saying very similar things about Torres in the summer of 2010.
i admireyour optimism but if you honestly believe we will finish even in the top 6 this year , then you my friend (im at pains to say this ) are deluded.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:36 pm »
Good article Kris...I'm glad someone has commented on Gerrard's words on the show - when they asked him whether Suarez would leave if we don't make top 4, Steven quite clearly said I don't know and then went on as per you wrote so its clearly something he and presumabley the club are aware of. There is a min fee release clause in his contract for a non PL Champions League club so it all depends on Luis. Do we think he will give it one more season? Not sure...really am not sure what we can do to keep him other than go on a crazy spending spree in the Summer or make top 4 this year. Both are unlikely!

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:41 pm »
think he'll give us one more season, we have a new manager, new style of football and new players, so hopefully he writes this season off and if he wants to go next season if we dont do well then fair play to him
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline BirdBrain

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 12:26:59 pm »
Getting fourth is such a tall order this season and would require title-winning form to achieve that you'd have to think a CL club will try tempt him away in the summer (pray there's no offer next week). Its good we have him on a good contract so we can get £50m+ for him.  We can at least take comfort if he does leave that all our best attackers turn to shite as soon as they walk out the Shankly Gates!

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »
i dont think he will go anywhere at the end of the season regardless of where we finish.If we dont make Champions league after next seasons end then that will be that.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »
Maybe wishful thinking but I think he'll stay for at least one more full season IF we show an improvement on last years League Performance. If we finish 5 or 6th (I do think 4th is just out of our reach bar an astronomical run of form until the end of the season) and are within 5 points or so of 4th I think it'll show we are moving in the right direction and we can really challenge once again next season and he'll want to be part of it

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 12:47:51 pm »
We dare not sell him. If we did though, he would have to go for C. Ronaldo money (70million and above). He is that good, with a bright future ahead of him.

40 million is a piss take.

edit.

GBP that is..

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 12:52:51 pm »
I think it is inevitable he will leave in the near future if Liverpool don't or can't reach the excitement of challenging for at the very least, knock out stages of the champions League. That's where the excitement is and that's when the worlds desirable players will consider coming to Liverpool if asked.
Sad state of affairs really that a gem of a player is unearthed and we are all (most anyway) resigned to the fact that we are, at the moment, a top 10 team with some outstanding players.
We will get better and I've a feeling we will creep toward top 5 at the most.

Hope - a wonderful, yet demoralising word.
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 12:55:25 pm »
Certainly think we'll keep till Jan 2014. This year he has been unplayable.

I think he will leave regardless in summer 2014 to go to Spain and test himself there.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 12:57:40 pm »
Cech, Cole, Lampard, Terry, Hazard, Mata, Torres

Lloris, Vertongen, Walker, Bale, Dembele, Defoe, Adebayor

Vermaelen, Wilshere, Walcott, Podolski, Cazorla

Reina, Johnson, Gerrard, Lucas, Agger, Suarez

At least two sets of those players won't qualify for the CL next season, and two sets of them aren't in it this season either. The odds are, two sets of them won't quality for it the season after next.

Its a tough, tough league. Its not 2006 where the top 4 are head and shoulders above everyone else. If you want to play in England, where the money is as good as it is and the exposure is better than anywhere else, then prepare to not play in the CL unless you're at Manchester City or United. And if you're at Manchester City, expect not to get very far. I don't think he's going to United.....

Seriously, we need to stop attaching so much to the Champions League. He tests himself against a lot of the best in the world here, and he tests himself against them at international level at World Cups and Copa Americas.

He loves it here, he's loved here, he clearly gets on with his team-mates and its a lovely place to bring up a young family. The last person who threw that away because he 'needed more' is now a shadow of his former self and looks the most miserable man in England. If we continue to improve as we are, he won't be going anywhere.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 12:58:19 pm »
The reality in football is everybody has a price, this thread could have been Arsenal and RVP last season.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 01:05:28 pm »
The important thing if he goes is to get good value for him. What he's worth to us rather than what the market says he's worth. He's under contract so just stick a massive price tag on him.

Be interesting to know what sort of clauses are in his current contract though.

What would he be worth at the moment? 

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 01:07:23 pm »
The reality in football is everybody has a price, this thread could have been Arsenal and RVP last season.

Not quite. If Luis contract was up next summer, then yes.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 01:10:34 pm »
cant blame him really if we dont make fourth and I would wish him the very best cause he has given his all everytime he has put on the Red Shirt, one of the most committed players to have played for us

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:55 pm »
cant blame him really if we dont make fourth and I would wish him the very best cause he has given his all everytime he has put on the Red Shirt, one of the most committed players to have played for us

Uh.

We could easily blame him. He signed a new contract in the summer. I cant imagine we'd put in a no-CL release clause, and I cant imagine he'd have signed it if he planned to fuck off if we didnt finish in the top 4. So yeah, we could blame him if he did.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 01:18:45 pm »
Though nothing is worth the extortionate ticket prices clubs set, this humanisation of sporting theatre comes close, playing with the constant music of reverence and revulsion behind him.

I think he is one of the few players in world football that make it worth paying the entry fee. He is simply a joy to watch. On the way to the game every week, my son and I excitedly talk about what he might do today, what he did last week. I just love watching him. We were directly above his back heel and turn at the weekend, the gasps and laughter all around said it all.

I think Gerrard was just giving an honest answer, but still think that he wont leave this year, guess I am an optimist and although finance is always going to be a factor, he seems to genuinely like it here. But back to your point FSG do need to show intent, at least in summer, if not then I would not blame him if he looks elsewhere.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 01:21:10 pm »
Uh.

We could easily blame him. He signed a new contract in the summer. I cant imagine we'd put in a no-CL release clause, and I cant imagine he'd have signed it if he planned to fuck off if we didnt finish in the top 4. So yeah, we could blame him if he did.

he is in the top 5 players in the world, he deserves to play at the highest level

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 01:23:52 pm »
he is in the top 5 players in the world, he deserves to play at the highest level

Of course he deserves, but he doesn't have a right to. Big difference.

I think Lucas and Gerrard deserve CL football, but they are most likely going to stick at it and at least try to get it. If Suarez goes, then all the best but I wouldn't hold my hands up and say 'we should let him go because he's better than us.' Fuck anyone who thinks that.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 01:24:26 pm »
Great OP, this is why it's so important to get 4th, and this is wh it baffles me when people were saying on RAWK they'd rather win the Carling Cup and finish 5th > ??? (it doesn't matter because you don't win a trophy for league position etc..)

I'd like to think people were only saying that because that was the reality of our situation and they were blinded by it but who knows...

Hopefully he gives us another season after this, we are making progress and the summer is key, get it right and we could be favourites for 4th, get it wrong coupled with Suarez leaving and its square 1 again, top 4 is so vital for our club to progress further though it really is. 

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:42 pm »
I'd  say there's an 80% chance he'll leave this Summer, a 90% chance he'll be gone by the end of next January's window, and a 100% chance he won't be here after the end of next season.
What a load of nonsense.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 01:27:00 pm »
Is this 40m buyout a rumour?

Or has it been substantiated as fact ?
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 01:29:55 pm »
Of course he deserves, but he doesn't have a right to. Big difference.

I think Lucas and Gerrard deserve CL football, but they are most likely going to stick at it and at least try to get it. If Suarez goes, then all the best but I wouldn't hold my hands up and say 'we should let him go because he's better than us.' Fuck anyone who thinks that.

why would he think his better then us? its about a playing career

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 01:36:58 pm »

Sorry, but thats bollocks.

We've been out of the CL for a few years now, and most people knew it'd be unlikely we'd get in this season. If the CL was the be all and end all for Luis, then he wouldnt/shouldnt have signed a new contract.

I fucking hate the Champions League, I really do. What do you think players did when only champions qualified? Fucked off if they didnt win the league? If we finished 4th but then lost in the qualifier, do we think he'd go 'Oh well fuck that then, I'm off to Slavia Prague cos they qualified'.

Its the reward of finishing higher with your team, and its a reward shared amongst that team. If you dont get there, you take that disappointment as a team. Its a shithouse move to start pandering to one player. Oh what if he doesn't get in the CL? He deserves it? Its nonsense. What must Pepe Reina be thinking? Does he not deserve it too? Or Lucas? Or Agger? So why none of this 'CL is a must' for them.

Its all tabloid nonsense, its a ploy to ramp up speculation, and people are lapping it up.