Author Topic: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.  (Read 29935 times)

Online TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.
« Reply #360 on: January 9, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »
Rafa took £6M

He also donated £96,000 to Hillsborough Family Support Group.
and undisclosed amounts to the Rhys Jones Memorial Fund and the Lily Centre....

Rafa was truly one of us........

makes me sick the amount of shite he takes from the gutter press....
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Online Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: January 9, 2011, 12:05:06 pm »
Can somebody please, please, explain to me what Roy did in his time at the club that makes him a "nice guy"?

I can understand why people would call Rafa a "nice guy", given his concern for community causes, his affinity with fans.
I can understand why people would call Kenny a "nice guy", given he and his wife's charity work.
What exactly has Roy done that is even remotely "nice"?

Sorry, I hate to rake over the past, but I just wish football fans would stop spouting cliches, whether they be Liverpool conceding goals through zonal marking, Gerrard's best position being in the centre, or Roy Hodgson being a nice bloke. People should work based on evidence, not on hand-me-down press wisdom. What has Hodgson said or done to make him nice? He was a damp blanket over fan action to get the last owners out (saying it was "just one of those thing you had to deal with" in an interview), he picked on young players after for defeats, he blamed everyone but himself. And when in doubt, he talked shite about Rafa.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #362 on: January 9, 2011, 12:05:19 pm »
He didnt set out to fail and I am sure the defeats in poor games hurt him as much as it hurt us. Although at the end of the day I didnt want him here in the first instance.

That aside the man tried his best and ultimately proved himself to be out of his depth here. I'm not the person to hold a grudge so I wish him well for the future and best of luck to him and his family.

Will he get a round of applause when he returns to Anfield? I'd like to hope so but somehow I doubt it.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #363 on: January 9, 2011, 12:05:24 pm »

Rafa had also been here for 6 years, earned us god knows how much from brilliant European campaigns and League positions.

Hodgson has earned absolutely nothing.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #364 on: January 9, 2011, 12:05:43 pm »
Isn't the £6m figure wrong anyway because he walked straight into a job so only took £3m?

The way Roy's going on you'd think it wasnt by mutual consent.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline jeremyh94

• Anny Roader
« Reply #365 on: January 9, 2011, 12:09:52 pm »
Roy was 'nice'  in that he was polite about all opposing teams.
In principle that's a good thing. Unfortunately for too many people, including I feel some of the players, that translated into appearing not to want to beat them.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #366 on: January 9, 2011, 12:12:27 pm »
Isn't the £6m figure wrong anyway because he walked straight into a job so only took £3m?

The way Roy's going on you'd think it wasnt by mutual consent.
No. Rafa's contract stipulated it was paid on the day he left so they couldn't just keep paying him and let him mitigate.

Online TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: January 9, 2011, 12:15:00 pm »
Rafa had also been here for 6 years, earned us god knows how much from brilliant European campaigns and League positions.

Hodgson has earned absolutely nothing.

Rafa made us the best team in Europe we were number ONE..... Ahead of Barca, Real, Inter etc

4 v 0 vs Madrid
4 v 1 vs manc

Rafa also built one hell of a team feared by Europe

Hopefully the new owners will allow Kenny to build a team......

Roy wasn't building a team with signings like Cole, Poulsen and PFK
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #368 on: January 9, 2011, 12:18:28 pm »

I was led to believe there were other charities too mate, as for the stick from the gutter press he suffered enough from our own fans.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #369 on: January 9, 2011, 01:16:39 pm »
Is it true that Roy is walking off with £7.5m? For doing what?

Let's see how much of a nice guy Roy is now. How much of that £7.5m will he donate to local good causes? Will he give any to the 2nd most important children's hospital in the country?

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #370 on: January 9, 2011, 06:53:46 pm »
Hodgson sacked via e-mail from America

Published 11:08 09/01/11
By Steve Bates

Roy Hodgson's sacking ­provoked fury last night after it emerged that the doomed Kop boss was fired by an e-mail sent from the club’s owners in America.

Hodgson was at his Merseyside home on Friday night when he was alerted to a message sent by Anfield owner John Henry and Tom Werner, the chairman of New England Sports Ventures.

The e-mail informed Hodgson, 63, they no longer had faith in his ability to take the club forward and that he was being relieved of his duties.

Hodgson alerted his legal team and immediately began the process to agree a £3million compensation deal which was sealed late yesterday morning.

But it’s understood senior figures in the League Managers Association are furious at the way Hodgson was sacked.

And they believe the shabby manner of his dismissal was disrespectful to an experienced manager of his standing.

LMA chief executive Richard Bevan has refused to comment, but it is believed the bosses’ organisation is furious at Liverpool’s treatment of Hodgson.

It is being claimed Hodgson didn’t want to resign and believed he should carry on despite a fall-out with the fans and a run of poor results culminating in festive period defeats by Wolves and Blackburn.

And Hodgson had insisted to close friends he wanted to conduct his Friday afternoon press conference as normal but was instead told by club officials it was being scrapped.

Hodgson was restricted to a small slot on Liverpool’s in-house TV channel to preview today’s FA Cup third round tie with Manchester United at Old Trafford even though the club’s top brass had already decided to axe him and put Kenny Dalglish in charge until the end of the season.

I also understand close associates of Hodgson are furious that after leaving a secure job at Craven Cottage he was abandoned by the club’s hierarchy when results went wrong and left an isolated, lonely figure with no support from above.

Top Continental bosses – Borussia Dortmund’s Jurgen Klopp, ex-Hoffenheim boss Ralf Rangnick and Porto’s Andre Villas-Boas – are leading contenders to become the next full-time Anfield boss after Dalglish next summer while Dutch legend Frank Rijkaard is available after his sacking by Galatasaray.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-Roy-Hodgson-sacked-via-e-mail-from-America-article668123.html

That's fucking awesome. I'd have sacked him via a Post-It note myself, but email works :lmao

Offline ElmAnfield

• Main Stander
« Reply #371 on: January 9, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »
Female on the Radio Merseyside 'Moan in' after the match told Alan Jackson  she had seen and spoken to Roy and his wife in Sefton Park early on Sunday Morning. She asked him if it was true that he was sacked via email, he said No he was told on Friday, in a meeting at Melwood.
She wished him all the best and was sorry things did not work out as planned, he thanked her and said to his wife " Great people from Liverpool"

Offline Hop

• Anny Roader
« Reply #372 on: January 9, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »
I'm not trying to stick the boot in on Roy Hodgson here but I honestly can't understand why he's so respected within the game - I saw Arsene Wenger on tv earlier talking about how Roy is such a good manager but why? His CV is shite.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: January 9, 2011, 07:04:47 pm »
Bye Roy, this really was a club too far for you. We never wanted you but how could a man in your profession resist the challenge? Hope you get the England job one day, if not there's always Scandanavia.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #374 on: January 9, 2011, 07:06:31 pm »
General football and sport thankfully surely.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #375 on: January 9, 2011, 07:10:59 pm »
Bye Roy, this really was a club too far for you. We never wanted you but how could a man in your profession resist the challenge? Hope you get the England job one day, if not there's always Scandanavia.

Only if it's in Sweden. After all he insulted Denmark and Norway.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Mackinaw Peach

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Wigan address
« Reply #376 on: January 9, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »
Reading the Echo the other day, some fella wrote in saying "Roy Hodgson is the worst thing that has ever happened to Liverpool Football Club".

What a twat of a comment.

Seconded.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: January 9, 2011, 07:39:32 pm »
heard he will get in the region of 7million pay off, i seriously give up, wonder if he will follow rafas example an gives a chunk to good local causes?  i wont be holding my breath.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

hoonin

« Reply #378 on: January 9, 2011, 08:03:41 pm »
Quote from: John C
Good luck to him but if your reading this Roy, best you don't get a job as a pundit telling us all at half time how the managers are getting it wrong. There'll be complaints to Offtel.

Think you mean Offroy mate? Offtel handle complaints about Terry Venables pundity.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: January 9, 2011, 08:04:35 pm »

Think you mean Offroy mate? Offtel handle complaints about Terry Venables pundity.
;D

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #380 on: January 9, 2011, 08:08:54 pm »
I'm not trying to stick the boot in on Roy Hodgson here but I honestly can't understand why he's so respected within the game - I saw Arsene Wenger on tv earlier talking about how Roy is such a good manager but why? His CV is shite.

It's a club called LMA, they are all after each others jobs but don't like to say nasty things.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Istanbul_05times

• Anny Roader
  • He brought that cup back home
« Reply #381 on: January 9, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »
I used to like whoy , not so sure anymore
gary neville is really hayley cropper

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #382 on: January 9, 2011, 09:59:07 pm »
All the best, Roy.

It's a shame things went that way, because I really used to like him. I hope he does better where-ever he ends up next, but the past six months were nothing but a disgrace. Almost everything he's done on the pitch or in the press made me dislike him. Still, he'll get a job and probably he'll do well with a "smaller" team than Liverpool...