Author Topic: Frances Molloy's Tyred Campaign  (Read 2156 times)

Offline muffin the mule

• A good 'un.
  • Kopite
Frances Molloy's Tyred Campaign
« on: February 8, 2018, 02:13:11 pm »
Hi all

As i am sure you are all aware Frances lost her son Michael in the Bestival coach crash that killed 3 people and injured many more.

The Tyre that blew on the coach was 19 1/2 years old

Frances runs her campaign with many volunteers   http://www.tyred.org.uk/ but needs help with signatures on her petition

I'm in the process of getting a new banner made and organising leaflet drops at both home and away games as many organisations use coaches and its our idea to leaflet them all

Frances time in the house of commons was blocked by the Tories https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/old-killer-tyres-legislation-blocked-14011758

the banner will have Tyred Logo's but we are looking a good strong sentence that will make people stop and think about travelling on a coach

EG: Would you take your children on a coach with 19 year old tyres...............is your coach safe to travel on...........etc

places that can be contacted....Football clubs, football supporters clubs, schools, universities and basically any one who uses coach travel 

any help would be gratefully accepted

Admin: if this is in the wrong part of the site could you please put it in the right place

ta

Justice for the 97, the families and the survivors

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Frances Molloy's Tyred Campaign
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2018, 02:21:31 pm »
Keep the sentence short as people often don’t stop to read long winded things. If you can manage to get an image on there which catches attention then even better, as we notice these more so than words.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2018, 03:01:48 pm »
If the government chose could it change the MOT test by statutory instrument? Tyres are date coded. It would be straightforward to make it part of the MOT for public service vehicles that tyres are newer than 10 years.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2018, 03:13:52 pm »
If the government chose could it change the MOT test by statutory instrument? Tyres are date coded. It would be straightforward to make it part of the MOT for public service vehicles that tyres are newer than 10 years.

The MOT is being changed this year to ban HID bulbs that have been fitted to halogen headlamp units, so yes they could change it easily. There are already checks in place for tyre condition, but all the manufacturers will tell you, an old tyre, even if never previously used, will have degraded.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2018, 03:17:01 pm »
The MOT is being changed this year to ban HID bulbs that have been fitted to halogen headlamp units, so yes they could change it easily. There are already checks in place for tyre condition, but all the manufacturers will tell you, an old tyre, even if never previously used, will have degraded.

It really is just the stroke of the Minister’s pen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2018, 03:23:13 pm »
It really is just the stroke of the Minister’s pen.

Yeah it is. Its added costs to the Haulage and Coach/Bus companies, but seeing as tyres are one of the most safety critical components on the vehicle, this is one area shortcuts cannot be taken on.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2018, 12:57:20 pm »
Are checks different for buses? Mine last 2 years max before they need changing

You would have thought a 19 1/2 year old tyre would have well worn down its tread beyond the legal limit. Thus failing any MOT.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2018, 03:44:36 pm »
Are checks different for buses? Mine last 2 years max before they need changing

You would have thought a 19 1/2 year old tyre would have well worn down its tread beyond the legal limit. Thus failing any MOT.

HGV's and PSV's are every 12 months, plus drivers have to do daily checks and report any defects. Most likely scenario is it had been stored for years and never used. I've just thrown out two motorbike tyres, hardly any tread gone but 12 years old - they looked almost new but were solid as rocks.

It's one of the issues with buying tyres online. I've heard stories of people getting tyres delivered that were unused but were over 5 years old.

Offline muffin the mule

• A good 'un.
  • Kopite
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 10:20:24 am »
Bump

Offline muffin the mule

• A good 'un.
  • Kopite
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 10:20:41 am »
Coach companies have a responsibility to safeguard people who travel on their vehicles

Please Sign the petition and let’s make sure all coaches and buses are safe to travel on

#Tyred #OldTyresKill #Coaches #buses

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207171

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 10:21:50 am »
Coach companies have a responsibility to safeguard people who travel on their vehicles

Please Sign the petition and let’s make sure all coaches and buses are safe to travel on

#Tyred #OldTyresKill #Coaches #buses

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207171

Maybe you should post this petition on the Boozer.  It will likely get more response there.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer