Author Topic: Roy Evans: 'Liverpool are a fair bit behind top four'  (Read 17194 times)

Offline MikkeB

• Mr Positive
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roy Evans: 'Liverpool are a fair bit behind top four'
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2011, 08:42:03 am »
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Haha

No, on a serious note, i think he is the messiah, i sometimes re-read his press conferences in the mirror to myself, as him.... "you looking at me" just started driving a taxi too... im getting worried...

On another less serious note, i think Kenny does have a fatal flaw, and it might be his undoing or it might be plugged by the continental knowledge of Comolli... Kenny has a tendency to buy British, which i think, when he was last managing would have worked better and more cost effective than it does now. We will need to compliment what we have, with some solid continental talent, as footballers in europe, spain and portugal especially are playing at a higher technical level than their british counterparts. This was highlighted for me watching Man u v's Barcelona, and us and Chelsea vs Barca some years back. Barcelona while changing some personnell have been playing in a similar style for the last few years if not more fluid. in the Champions league final, i really felt the core british spine in the man u squad, while dynamic really if anything got technically exposed, they didnt know how to pass the ball as well... The same lack of fluidity that leaves the England team wanting. Chelsea seem to counter the lack of technical ability by littering their teams with players from across europe.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2011, 08:45:46 am »
Anything can happen to a 20 year old keeper trying to adapt to a new league during a long season. It will be very different for him in so many ways. De Gea is a huge gamble.

I think De Gea is a huge talent, but one bad fumble and Utd lose an important game, and how will he stand up to the pressure? It is not like they have a Premiership proven veteran as back-up to turn to to get him out of the spotlight and rebuild his confidence. It certainly is a gamble.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2011, 08:48:40 am »
I think De Gea is a huge talent, but one bad fumble and Utd lose an important game, and how will he stand up to the pressure? It is not like they have a Premiership proven veteran as back-up to turn to to get him out of the spotlight and rebuild his confidence. It certainly is a gamble.
Massimo Taibi , remember him we can only hope and pray DeGea goes the same route
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2011, 08:53:24 am »
I think Roy did not take into consideration how bad the top 4 were last season.
OK, Man U got to the CL final, but they were never great last season.
Neither were Chelsea or Arsenal, they both started well but totally fucked it up.

I don't think we are that far behind those clubs.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2011, 08:56:38 am »

They should've got cudicini as well. But by the same token, if you've invested huge in a young keeper like they have, if he has a bad run, you can't pull him or it'll be the end of him at the club.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: July 15, 2011, 09:16:45 am »
I think Roy did not take into consideration how bad the top 4 were last season.

cause he was a c*nt thats why.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: July 15, 2011, 09:29:27 am »
Anything can happen to a 20 year old keeper trying to adapt to a new league during a long season. It will be very different for him in so many ways. De Gea is a huge gamble.
United's signings haven't improved them. They were very necessary amd may prove long term excellent signings (I think they will) but they won't make much of a positive difference this season.

They've lost Van Der Saar who was excellent and a banker and got no money for him. De Gea will not be better than him this season.

Jones is a big talent but he is not an improvement right now on Vidic or Ferdinand.

Is Ashley Young better than Rooney, Valencia or Nani ? Not too sure myself although he adds depth.

United need a central midfield player to replace the Paul Scholes of 4 years ago. Moreover Giggs needs replacing too and his influence cannot remain as strong especially when he starts copping the abuse he will get this season and his legs are going.

They've spent 50m for the future not for now.

Offline red saint

• Main Stander
« Reply #167 on: July 15, 2011, 09:46:26 am »
Like most articles by former players and managers they are entitled to their opinions without mindless abuse.

Roy a very decent guy but in my opinion only partly right.

We are without doubt a much better team than spurs

IMHO we are a better team than Arsenal

Our performances against the top teams under Kenny was very good

Therefore a realist aspiration must be a top four finish and then with CL qualification we can both afford and attract world clas players.

Very optimistic for the coming season

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 15, 2011, 10:11:42 am »

On another less serious note, i think Kenny does have a fatal flaw, and it might be his undoing or it might be plugged by the continental knowledge of Comolli... Kenny has a tendency to buy British, which i think, when he was last managing would have worked better and more cost effective than it does now. We will need to compliment what we have, with some solid continental talent, as footballers in europe, spain and portugal especially are playing at a higher technical level than their british counterparts. This was highlighted for me watching Man u v's Barcelona, and us and Chelsea vs Barca some years back. Barcelona while changing some personnel have been playing in a similar style for the last few years if not more fluid. in the Champions league final, i really felt the core british spine in the man u squad, while dynamic really if anything got technically exposed, they didnt know how to pass the ball as well... The same lack of fluidity that leaves the England team wanting. Chelsea seem to counter the lack of technical ability by littering their teams with players from across europe.

I've said a few times that Kenny has precious little experience as a manager in European competition.  On the plus side though he seems to know how to handle foreign players.  We need to make the most of this season without Europe and I fully expect, as you suggest, that those around Kenny will bridge the gap between British and foreign footballing talent.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: July 15, 2011, 10:34:43 am »
Roy Evans ?
He's not a c*nt.

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:51 am »
We haven`t played a league game yet, let`s wait and see.
I feel Roy Evan`s comment was a small part of a longer answer to a question.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2011, 11:05:11 am »
Great servant to the club but had an unfortunate tendency to talk bollocks when he was manager...sadly, he seems to have carried on where he left off
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline beadlehand

• Anny Roader
« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2011, 11:10:11 am »
I don't think we are a 'fair bit' behind at all. We have made some decent signings already and our youth system is excellent.

An exciting season beckons in my opinion.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15:03 am »
With all the changes taking place to the top 6 over the summer it will make for an interesting season.  I think Villa-boas will get the best out of Chelsea.  Utd have lost players but they aren't sitting still during the window.  Manchester City may lose Tevez but will replace him with another big-name striker - now they have CL as well as cash they'll be an enticing prospect. 

Where we might gain ground is over Arsenal and Spurs if they lose their big stars.  Although, their loss could likely be Chelsea (Modric) and Utd's (Nasri) gain:-/

I can see us in the top four.  Silverware is a bonus.  I'm looking forward to watching our new team grow and gel.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2011, 11:16:00 am »

Ron's referring to Roy Evans, not the face-rubbing owl lookalike.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2011, 11:20:45 am »
I agree we won't have instant success, but I don't agree that we are 'a fair bit behind the top 4' and 'lacked quality against the top sides' which blatantly isn't true when you consider our results against them with Kenny in charge and the fact that we beat three of them.

Add to that our new signings too, and I don't understand Roy's comments there.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2011, 11:36:38 am »
We are based on the last two seasons but you'd expect significant improvement this year. If the top sides are as mixed in form as they had the tendency to be last year, a consistent season might get us near the title but I would strongly recommend fans focusing on getting into the top four and not expecting too much beyond it. We should challenge strongly for trophies given our lack of Euro football.

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2011, 11:45:28 am »
No harm in reducing expectations a little. We want to do well, but we don't want to apply too much pressure too soon with these new first team players settling in. It would be nice to coast along under the radar a bit before the chase for the top positions hots up.

I think we'll do well, but i'm just supporting and not demanding. That's because I think this squad will give everything they've got under Kenny, and that's all i'll ask for.

We need to work hard to get back in there, and we could do very well this year, but i'd hate to see people kicking off and kneejerking if we lose a few games.

We're on the up, we'll hit some snags along the way, but early indications under the current set up of our club show that the trend seems to only point upwards.
@paulair

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2011, 11:47:04 am »
Ron's referring to Roy Evans, not the face-rubbing owl lookalike.

I know, he said the owl did not take into consideration how bad the top 4 were last season.
I meant the owl.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2011, 12:14:37 pm »
No harm in reducing expectations a little. We want to do well, but we don't want to apply too much pressure too soon with these new first team players settling in. It would be nice to coast along under the radar a bit before the chase for the top positions hots up.

I think we'll do well, but i'm just supporting and not demanding. That's because I think this squad will give everything they've got under Kenny, and that's all i'll ask for.

We need to work hard to get back in there, and we could do very well this year, but i'd hate to see people kicking off and kneejerking if we lose a few games.

We're on the up, we'll hit some snags along the way, but early indications under the current set up of our club show that the trend seems to only point upwards.

You see the first bit bolded could be part of the problem.  To win the title, at some point in that season we'll need to be considered as candidates.  With being considered as candidates we will come under pressure.  That is unnavoidable.

If expectations are reduced too far within the squad then there is a possibility that we will remain too far away to challenge.  It is important that the players are confident, believe that they can challenge for the league now, believe that they have the ability to win the league this year.  I think we will fall short but then the expectancy raises for next year.  We have to deal with the pressure and beat it.  United did it 19 years ago.  We have to do it now

Not sure who is demanding success though?  The owners want to win the league, Kenny wants to win the league, the fans want to win the league and I assume the players want.  There is a key word there - 'want'.  Nobody is say 'have' to win are they?

If the players believe they are good enough they'll put the pressure on themselves to be the best.  100% effort in every game is what is needed.  If we get that, no one will complain and we'll know where our deficiences are should we fall short.  We'll have a line in the sand as a yardstick and be in a position to move on next year and every year it takes to perfect and win it.

Offline deester

• Main Stander
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »
Cant see much wrong in what he said.  Its his opinion and I respect him considering what he's contributed to LFC over the years.

Personally though I'm optimistic about a top 4 finish next season. Hell knowing Kenny we might even go all the way!! :)

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2011, 01:58:02 pm »
Hard to see how Roy's puts us so far behind the top 4 when we reigned over them in the second half of the season
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline keswick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »

De Gea Conceded the most goals from outside the box in La Liga last season!  So if Gerrard, Adam, Suarez, Meireles, Downing and Carroll have their shooting boots on when we play them, we should have a field day!!! :)

Offline Loola

• A fan of The Beautiful Game since its inception. So that's 1992 then.....
  • Main Stander
  • Neutral & Nice
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2011, 02:06:47 pm »

If Tevez goes, that's City with no one to score goals.

I think you're clutching at straws a little bit.  Dzeko is a class act and will come good and City will definately sign another striker before the window closes.  They have quality throughout the whole squad too.
I won't moan about referees.  If we aren't good enough to win despite these bastards then we aren't good enough to win.

Offline Rormac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2011, 04:58:19 pm »
Jason McAteer

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2011, 05:13:22 pm »
We're going to win the league!

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2011, 05:16:49 pm »

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »
A great man and a great servant as well as a decent manager, but I don't agree with Roysie here.

As it stands, Arsenal and Spurs haven't yet strengthened- in fact Arsenal lost Clichy. It seems Spurs will lose Modric as I cannot see the former trust and good relationship being there anymore between himself, Redknapp and Levy. He's bound to leave for Chelsea.

The Mancs seems to have stood still as well- for now. They've bought Jones who is prolly not going to be a starter for them- ahead of the camel and the rapist. They've lost Van Der Sar and replaced him with a risk, who needs to adapt and still needs to withstand the scrutiny of the fans and the English press. Then there's Young, who seem to be a squad addition, which will keep them lively on the wings, but he does not appear to be an upgrade to what they already have(as it seems at this moment, at least).

Chelsea hasn't signed anyone as yet and City's signed but one player thusfar. Chelsea have shown last season that they're not as formidable and full of energy and endurance as they were before. Those same players have just gotten older since then. They've got Torres, but even if Villa-Boas can get him to perform, he will only fill Drogba's shoes and without players like Lampard, Essien etc... at their best, they are just not the same. If they get Modric, then that is a significant upgrade for them, but City is the one I'm looking out for.

Liverpool, on the other hand, have strengthened. We've still got the same playing squad that signed of last season, plus 2 new faces. We also have Insua and Aquilani who have returned and will add to the squad- whether one of them leave or not. In terms of a capable squad, we are on a par with any of the top-4. We've had an amazing run for a team that was labelled- and who started to believe it themselves- as one of the worst in recent Liverpool history and at one time, was thought to be a relegation candidate, as idiotic as it may sound. And even during that run, we were not at our full strength and at our best.

So yeah- while the others have stood still or added a player here/there, we have taken strides. Coupled with where we finished last season and the overall mediocrity we saw even in the champions, we seem to be not so far from them. City and United remain the bigger threats though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:14:10 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist