Author Topic: Spyin' Kop: West Ham United home  (Read 8391 times)

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
Spyin' Kop: West Ham United home
« on: October 27, 2005, 07:05:39 pm »
After what can only be described as a difficult week for the Reds on the road, with defeats by both Fulham and Crystal Palace, it's a return to the Coliseum and the visit of West Ham.

With the Hammers  under the astute leadership of Alan Pardew flying high on their return to the Premiership, this could be a tough fixture for Rafa's goal shy men. To help us preview the game we took a trip to the independent website Knees Up Mother Brown. It's an elder statesman among websites having been launched at the start of the 1997-98 season when to many Reds "internet" meant only what Robbie Fowler would do with comforting regularity.

West Ham United
Saturday 29th October - Anfield - KO - 3pm
Referee - Uriah Renee

The Club
A belief in entertaining football has been forged into the side created by workers from the shipbuilding company Thames Iron Works in 1895. The club was relaunched in 1900 as West Ham United and elected to the Football League in 1919. Success came in 1923 with promotion to the First Division and an appearance in the first Wembley FA Cup final. Later, under the auspices of captain Malcolm Allison and later coach Ron Greenwood, the Hammers plotted for the future by nurturing young talent and introducing innovative coaching techniques. It paid off with FA Cup victory in 1964, a European Cup Winners' Cup triumph in 1965 and the club rightfully took credit when three homegrown stars - captain Bobby Moore, striker Geoff Hurst and midfielder Martin Peters - helped England win the 1966 World Cup. Another FA Cup victory in 1975 was followed by relegation in 1978. There was a return to Wembley in 1980 and the Hammers, still in the Second Division, shocked Arsenal 1-0. After mixed success in the 1980s, West Ham sealed promotion to the F.A. Premier League in 1993. And while standing by their beliefs, the Hammers graced the Premiership for 10 years until their relegation in 2003. Secured a return to the top flight two seasons later via the play-offs, beating Preston 1-0 in Cardiff.

Club Honours
FA Cup Winners - 1964, 1975, 1980
Charity Shield Winners - 1964
2nd Division Champions - 1957-58, 1980-81

Club Facts
Year Formed: 1895 as Thames Iron Works FC; 1900 as West Ham United FC
Club Nicknames: 'Irons' or 'Hammers'
Stadium Address: Boleyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park, London, E13 9AZ - Capacity:35,647

Season so far ...
West Ham     3 - 1     Blackburn      
Newcastle     0 - 0     West Ham    
West Ham    1 - 2    Bolton               
West Ham    4 - 0    Aston Villa     
Fulham            1 - 2   West Ham     
West Ham    0 - 0    Arsenal          
Sunderland    1 - 1    West Ham           
Man City       2 - 1   West Ham       
West Ham    2 - 1    Middlesbrough    

Current position: 9th position. Played 9, 15 points.

Betting
From www.paddypower.com: Liverpool 4/7 Draw 5/2 West Ham 5/1

First Goal:
Cisse 5/1 Crouch 11/2 Morientes 11/2 Gerrard 15/2
Harewood 9/1 Sheringham 10/1 Zamora 11/1 Benayoun 16/1

Spyin' Kop

This week's "Spyin' Kop" has been kindly answered by the 'appy 'ammers on www.kumb.com. Thanks to GeorgeParris'Pet, Arch Dandy, londonrebel, Runwell Ray, Countryboy, comeonyouirons and MancIron for their input. Much appreciated.

I've taken the best four answers for each question from the above named fans.

1. What are your expectations for this season? Have they changed from day one?

Fourth from bottom would have done me at the start of the season, but I think we can better that now. I am looking at near the top of the bottom half of the league. 12th.

I expect we'll stay up. That's changed from Day One because then I only hoped we would. Like any sane West Ham fan I'd settle for 17th. But I'm hoping for solid mid-table, somewhere in the 10-14 range.

I would expect us to finish in the bottom half of the table and would be happy with that.

My expectation was that we’d be hard pressed to stay in the league, I now think we should stay up but expect a tough fight still.

2. Who do you think is your most important player(s)? and your worst player(s)?

The most important player is probably (sadly) 420 year old veteran Teddy Sheringham. He’s probably not our best player, that honour goes to Yossi Benayoun, but when he plays well (every other game) we do look a more dangerous outfit. Worst player is pretty tough, on their day anyone of them can look pretty ordinary but Matty Etherington hasn’t looked anything special this season. Tommy Repka has had some critics especially away from home.

Yossi's fantastic as everyone says. Got that touch of quality that really shines through. Also works incredibly hard, tracking back, getting stuck in with tackles: one big reason we love him so much. Gabbidon and Konchesky have also been inspired buys. And don't necessarily believe everything you read on this site about Etherington. Every year we have a player who gets slagged off all season long. He's this season's victim. But - ahem! - the stats say he's our most effective player.

Not going to comment on the worst because they have all done well this season. The best: Sheringham comes up with the goals to turn matches but age is creeping up on him. Also Benayoun in midfield is a good signing by Pardew. Mullins and Reo Coker much improved in the centre of midfield this season. Back four have done very well also. Plus Carroll in the net (injured though at moment).

Reo Coker and Benayoun. Worst on current form Repka though to be fair he's not a right back.

3. What sort of line-up will put out against us?

Carroll, Repka, Gabbidon, Ferdinand, Konchesky, Benayou, Mullins, Reo-Coker, Etherington, Harewood, Sheringham.

Hislop
Repka Ferdinand Gabbidon Konchesky
Benyoun Mullins Reo Coker Etherington
Harewood Sheringham or Zamora

Subs:
Bywater - GK
Daily - D or M
Sheringham or Zamora - F
Newton - Right Midfield
Allidare - M or F

Recently, we've tended to start out 4-4-2 away from home, go a goal (or two) down, switch to 3-5-2 and then equalise (or at least get one back). So why doesn't Pards start with three at the back? Ask him. Teddy started on Wednesday against Bolton, so I'd expect Zamora to start on Saturday. Unless there are injuries between now and then, the rest of the line-up will be as predicted by everyone else.

4-4-2 – Hislop – Konchesky, Repka, Gabbidon, Ferdinand – Etherington , Benayoun, Mullins, Reo-Coker – Harewood, Sheringham. Probably be the starting 11 depending on how tonight goes against Bolton.

4. Do you have a favourite/best chant(s) and perhaps any that require an explanation?

Over Land and Sea and Bubbles are our favourites, I expect Crouch will get some abuse on Saturday although that shouldn’t require any explanations ...

Bubbles, Blue Flag,Over Land and Sea & Twist and Shout

We have been known to invite a certain West London team to stick their blue flag up their arse. Shouldn't need to much explanation!

Bubbles pretty much sums the West Ham experience.

5. What have you made of your previous visits to Anfield, and what do you expect on Saturday?

Usually a good day out spoilt by the 90 minutes in the middle of it. I've seen us take some right pastings there. But our day will come.

Past experience suggests that we never win. What I expect on Saturday is one of two things. EITHER you lot finally react to all the piss-poor performances you've been putting in, and we suffer the backlash, in which case we get stuffed, OR you really are as bad as you've been looking. In which case, my squeaky-voiced Scouser chums, you are in deep, deep shit.

Have always been treated well (not in the mid 70s-early 80s always went off). Nice stadium but the police/stewards are over top. West Ham fans have always outsung you when I have been there. In general I have always looked at your fans to be like our own - working class people who are very passionate. The kop is VERY impressive when singing YNWA - we are banned from taking flags into Upton Park.

Disappointed in the atmosphere, but I see that looking at your official club site that this particular game has sold out. We will sing all the way through I hope you guys do as well. Normally it's quieter than expected though probably because for The Kop, a visit from West Ham isn't exactly the biggest game of the season.

6. We know domestically we have been below par this season - but who do you feel will cause you problems on Saturday, and what do you expect from us not only on Saturday but ultimately for the season?

Morientes. People may raise eyebrows but he hasn't scored for what, 7 games? Means he'll probably score against us! Your poor away form looks to mean 4th place would be your best hope. Wouldn't have thought you'd slip below 6th. Surely you can finish above Spurs?!

Is Gerrard playing? He’s the obvious quality. I quite like Cisse from what I’ve seen on the box this season and our strikers, especially Harewood will struggle against Hyypia. I expect L’pool will be in or around the UEFA spots come the end but hope you play some decent football on Saturday. After the last couple of results you’ll have to go for it, especially at home. This might suit us as we’ve the pace to counter attack all over the pitch and our defence has been the stand out point of our season (for a change).

If Zamora plays, the front 2 will cause you problems with their pace. Benayoun if given time on the ball will cause you major problems. I expect you to finish in a UFEA Cup place.

I agree with you that Crouch isn't half as bad as people make out. I also agree that there's no point signing him unless you're going to play wide-men who'll get the ball to him from the by-line in the air. Ironically, he'd have had much more service if he'd come to us. Sooner or later he'll score. Have a bad feeling it could be us. Otherwise Gerrard, Alonso, Cisse, Garcia - the usual suspects.

7. From an outsiders point of view, what do you think about our club?

Both Liverpool clubs are what I term "proper" football clubs with fans who will/have stuck with them through thick and thin unlike Newcastle for example. Always a great atmosphere at Anfield when we play there and one of the away trips I look forward to the most.

How can anyone fluke a European Cup? Dunno, but you did it (brilliant entertainment on the night). That aside, you don't seem any nearer to solving your domestic problems than you were under Houllier. And your football hasn't got any less dull or defensive, either. Given the undoubted talent at the club, you should be doing far better. Why don't your board appoint a British manager who understands this league? Was Shankly a Frenchman? Was Paisley Spanish? No.

Nothing too bad. Apart from the glory supporters who jump on the band wagon of supporting a club because of their past success i.e. non-scousers.

As already stated most West Ham fans do not have a problem with Liverpool (Saturday being an exception). Great family club, .play some good football and after the Hillsborough Disaster have always been closer to my thoughts.

8. Do you have any young, up and coming players that we may not know about?

Mark Noble is a little cracker, he is West Ham through and through and he will be one to watch for the future. Paul Konchesky is another who plays with his heart on his sleeve and he has got that fighting spirit.

The central defence, Gabbidon and Ferdinand both look like they could go all the way. Bubbling just under the first 11 at the moment we’ve got James Collins, another highly rated centre back and Mark Noble a local midfielder who everyone has high hopes for.

I think you may know about Ferdinand, if rumours of a £10m bid are to be believed. Reo-Coker's all over the media, but perhaps not quite as good as people are saying. Mark Noble is quality, but crocked. We've got some great lads coming through the system, as always. But you won't be seeing any of them on Saturday.

Yes lots. Our teams changed completely since relegation. Look out for Ferdinand (Rio's younger brother) and Gabbidon (signed from Cardiff) in defence. Reo Coker in midfield. Reo Coker and Ferdinand are both regulars in the England U21 team with Reo-Coker captain. Mark Noble may feature on the subs bench - one for the future here hopefully.

9. Are you happy with Alan Pardew and what he's trying to acheive down there, and do you feel like a lot of us do, that transition requires patience at times?

Well we have had the patience over the last two seasons. The crowd were on Pardew's back a little. Now everyone has fallen in line behind him. We have had a good start to the season and the signings have been good. He cares and is unlikely to leave the touchline throughout the game. Maybe Sven could learn something there? I think our style of football is more suited to the Premiership rather than the Championship.

Pardew has worked a miracle. He took over a club in meltdown. You had to be around West Ham during the two years after relegation to feel the sense of despair and bitterness in the stands; booing our own players; calling for Brown, Pardew, anyone to be sacked; endless rumour about takeovers; court cases where the club sued its own supporters - madness! Amidst it all, Pardew watched a team of so-called stars being sold. He's bought lesser-known players for peanuts. He's slashed the wage bill in half. He somehow (f*ck knows how, because we were shite all year) got us to the play-offs ... and we've not looked back since. He got us promoted. He bought brilliantly in the summer. He's kept us in the top half of the table all season. The man has had his doubters, to put it mildly, but give him credit, he's proved everyone wrong.

I started as a believer, then became a doubter, then angry, then cried a bit, then a bit optimistic, now I’m happy. He seems to have turned the club around since promotion (or Reading away last season) and there is a sense of purpose and optimism around the club that hasn’t been there since the early Redknapp days. Transition takes time, but not too f*cking long as we have to leave early to beat the queue for the train.

He is after two seasons getting it together, unfortunately managers don't get the time to build a team anymore but he is a bright prospect for the future. Will probably leave us for someother club like, hmmmmmmm, yours?

10. From a purely footballing point of view do you feel differently now towards the game, with the cost, and widening gap between the players and the fans who adore them so much?

We as working class fans are being priced out of the game. Travelling away is my passion but with a son to take as well its over £100 per match. The players like Ronaldo and company are so far up their own backside I do not think that they even give a thought to the financial problems we as fans travelling suffer.

It’s all changed and there is not a lot that the fans can do about it. West Ham fans I believe love the club first and foremost, the players have to work hard to earn a place in our affections and as the gap between the players are fans is widening it gets harder so you love the club even more. The last player who really won over the crowd to the point of being called a legend was probably Di Canio. Even he divides the fans (Major anyway) and it’s not like the days of Brooking, Bonds, Moore who the fans were 100% behind.

Up to a point. Cost is definitely an issue for a lot of fans. But it's just a fact of life in a media age that stars get paid mega-money. Am I bothered if my favourite bands become millionaires? No. So why should footballers be any different?

The game's changed massively over the past 15 years. The cost of going is ridiculous and to be honest sometimes you're glad to watch it in the pub and save yourself £30.

11. Do you feel that the football bubble will soon burst? And if so, we will go back to the days of a working class game?

It will fall off a little especially as Chelsea look set to dominate even more than Man Utd did in the 90s. But it will never be a working class game again, that ship has sailed. Not even sure the working class exist as such any more (but that's a debate for another board).

Why do you think it ever was a working-class game? Back in the 19th century, the Old Etonians won the FA Cup! Seriously, we'll never go back for the simple reason that the traditional, industrial working class no longer exists. Western economies are post-industrial. The vast majority of the population own their own homes and have white-collar jobs: that's middle-class by any conventional definition. The government is aiming to make 50 per cent of kids go to university. It's not football that's changed. It's the world.

Not anytime soon and it’ll be a slow decline and levelling out again rather than hot pockets and bunking over turnstiles. There is too much corporate involved now plus Health and Safety etc.

I would love that to happen but think we have moved too far from that now. Bring back the terraces for a start, or at least have a section in each stadium for terraces.

12. And finally - go on, predict a scoreline?

Would love the 3 points but would settle for 1 - 1.

2-1 Liverpool, I'm afraid.

My heart says the first West Ham win at Anfield since 1963? But my brain says Liverpool win after set backs at Fulham and Crystal Palace. So I am going to go in the middle. 1 - 1. Gerrard and Harewood to score.

0-0 or 1-0 to youse (Crouch). I'm sticking a fiver on him for first goal.

p.s there was a lot of 1-1 guesses as well.

Thanks again to www.kumb.com for the replies.

© Roper 2005
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:32:58 am by Roper »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Re: Spyin Kop - West Ham United.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:24:59 pm »
I work with loads of West Ham Fans and can expect a plethora of abuse if they pick up anything on Saturday. The general consensus from them seems to be that we'll give them a good hiding. They also keep telling me that Anton Ferdinand is the next Rio and Nigel Reo Coker is the next Roy Keane. Benayoun has had rave reviews this season.

They're also looking forward to YNWA so lets give them a good rendition on Saturday.

PS Roper you omitted that they won the World Cup in 1966 on there list of honours  ;)

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:31:40 pm »
Good effort, well done to all involved.  Not too cocky either and only one cheeky comment from the cockernees.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:37:21 pm »
A lot of West Ham fans wear the red England number 6 shirt and are proud of the contribution the West Ham Players made in the 1966 win, great read, well done Andy, and sound answers from them.
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 07:40:47 pm »
Thanks Roper.

Remarkably lacking confidence in their final predictions, considering the way we've been playing.  That's West Ham fans for you though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 07:53:35 pm by DK »

Offline mikeh

• Kopite
Re: Spyin' Kop: West Ham United home
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 08:08:17 pm »
Cheers Roper, great read.  :wave

I expect Crouch will get some abuse on Saturday although that shouldn’t require any explanations….

:no  :butt

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 08:55:03 pm »
top work Andy - very enjoyable.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 09:48:16 pm »
Good read.  Actually found the comment that the world was changing and not just football to be very true.  Many of my local neighborhoods use to be low end dumps.  Now those homes are selling for over a million.

Offline Eli_B (aka Badland Red)

• The resident lurking Saddler
  • Legacy Fan
    • My Mobile Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 09:59:19 pm »
Superb work Roper . I've mostly enjoyed the answers from the two 'ammers fans.  West Ham from what i've seen of them are playing some good possession footie at the moment.  Plus they like to attack and play with two wingers now there's a novelty in the top flight these days! Should be a cracker of a match.
Walsall FC aka the red and white Saddlers. The innovators as well as the first sports team in England/UK, to sell the Chicken Balti Pie:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/ 

With a soft spot for the redmen of Liverpool since the League Cup Semi Final 1984. RIP to the 39 in Brussels and of course the 96.

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 09:59:36 pm »
this is quickly becoming my favourite thread. really good to see articulate, passionate caring fans with a fair view of their team - and us.  almost makes me want to have a pint with them.  bit bloddy cheeky saying our place was a bit tough to come to in the 70/80's. your west bloody ham fer fugs sake.  you used to have all those pasty looking really sinister fella's
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 12:34:31 am »
Great read, thanks.

Past experience suggests that we never win. What I expect on Saturday is one of two things. EITHER you lot finally react to all the piss-poor performances you've been putting in, and we suffer the backlash, in which case we get stuffed, OR you really are as bad as you've been looking. In which case, my squeaky-voiced Scouser chums, you are in deep, deep shit.

He might be right there, y'know.

C'mon Red Men!

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 01:21:25 am »
Good read, that. Seems like some of the 'old school' football fans still revere Anfield as the football cathedral of England. Shame that it had grown quieter after the terraces were knocked down.

Watched a bit of the FA Cup semis 91/92 and saw how imposing the whole sea of people was at the Kop End, it was scary.

Perhaps Saturday is just the right time to bring it back again. Let's give them a big YNWA to shake their spines.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline lyeaileen the Happy KL Red

• Anny Roader
  • Future LFC captain
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 04:36:05 am »
Excellent work, enjoyed the read!

Just wanted to say thanks for putting in the effort, this is one of my favourite topics on RAWK and I've always enjoyed reading what other fans think of our club.
Co-maker of future LFC captain with Lazy Gun

Offline Sarah Deane

• The Artist Formerly Known As sair37. RAWK Pornographer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only woman to be sacked by Houllier
    • Tales From The City
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 07:18:24 am »
Great job, Andy. This is the best part of RAWK at the moment. And thanks to the 'Ammers for getting on the virtual blower and giving us such an interesting set of opinions.

Offline Holiara

• All hail the lovely lady who brings gifts of Baileys to the weary traveller
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 09:39:36 am »
Brilliant read again, thanks for the work!

Offline Benitude

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 09:46:28 am »
Top piece.  Always well received to listen to opposing fans with a clue and a modicum of respect.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 10:05:13 am »
Great piece Andy, very professional
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 10:17:42 am »
Great read that. The hammers are on a roll and could easily cause an upset. It could be a cracking high tempo games as both sides will want to win.
Doubters to Believers

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 10:52:31 am »
I thought the answers from thre Hammers were very good.....the certainly knew their stuff as the comments about Liverpool and football in general where very much on the pulse of things.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 10:55:46 am »
For those who may wanna know.....

Why "I'm forever blowing bubbles"?

Club Historian John Helliar relates the origins of West Ham United’s popular theme song

SUPPORTERS  of  most  clubs have  adopted  over  the  generations  an  anthem,  song,  catchphrase  or  tribal  chant  that  they  believe  captures  some  aspect  of  their  favourites’  character  or  signifies  a  bond  with  which  a  closeness  to  their  heroes  can  be  identified  or  associated.

Many  of  these  are  just  simply  a  part  of  the  team’s  actual  name  so  that  the  term  “United”  or  “City”  when  chanted  can  relate to  any  number  of  clubs  who  just  happen  to  have  that  particular  word  in  their  title  as  with  Manchester  United  or  Manchester  City  for  example.

Other  clubs  can  have  a  more  personalised  and  individualistic  characteristic  which  bonds the  team and  its  fans.  Such  as  “You’ll  Never  Walk  Alone”, made  famous  in  the  1960s  by  the  Merseybeat  sound  of  Gerry  and  the  Pacemakers,  and  which  was  adopted  by  Liverpool  supporters and  fills  Anfield  on  match  days.  Likewise, “The  Blaydon  Races”  has  been  the  theme  tune  for  a  much  longer  period  for  the  fans  of  Sunderland and  features  much  of  the  local  heritage  and  history  of  that  part  of  the  North-East  of  England  which  is  the  homeland  of  that  particular  club. 

West  Ham  United have  long  been  famous,  like  many  clubs,  for  the  chants  of  the  fans  which  help  to  spur  on  their  team  on  match  days.  For  the  Hammers,  two  particular  chants  have  been  regularly  heard  for  over  a  century  both  at  the  Boleyn  Ground,  together  with  its  predecessors,  and  on  the  team’s  travels  to  numerous  stadiums  both  at  home  and  abroad.

The  origins  of  “Up  the  Hammers”  and  “Come  on  you  Irons”  can,  of  course,  be  traced  back  to  the  foundations  of  the  Victorian  predecessors  of  West  Ham  United  FC.  Thames  Iron  Works  FC  was  named  after  the  Company  whose  employees  were  its  first  players,  and  its  links  with  the  daily  involvement  in  the  shipbuilding  industry,  foundries  and  associated  trades  on  which  they  relied  for  their  wages.  So,  the  symbolism  of  a  pair  of  shipbuilder’s crossed  hammers,  which  once  was  the  very  simple  motif  that  became  the  crest,  that  decorated  the  players  shirts  through  many  decades was born in those early years.

In  addition  to  those  two  particular  chants  Hammers   fans also  have  a   theme  tune  that  is  unique  to  the  Club.  The  feelings  and  sentiments  expressed  in  “I’m  Forever  Blowing  Bubbles”   has  for  most  supporters over  the  decades  captured  their  feelings  and  aspirations  in  its  words.         

Although  those  two  chants  which  still  are  regularly  heard  around  the  ground  are  much  older,  the  actual  date  of  their  origin  can  be  established  quite  easily.  This  is  not  the  case,  however,  in  respect  of  when  the  Club’s  famous  theme  tune  was  first  sung,  or  subsequently  adopted  by  the  supporters.  Its  origins  remain  shrouded  for  the  most  part  in  mystery  and  conjecture.

During  the  1970s,  the then  Programme  Editor  and  Club  Historian,  Jack  Helliar,  endeavoured  to  discover  how  the  song  had  first  become  associated  with  the  Hammers.  Jack’s  research led  him to  believe  that  it  had  been  composed  by  a  certain  James  Brockman.   However,  during  1996  at  an  antiques  and  programme  fair,  Alan  Jacobs,  a  keen  collector  of  West  Ham  United  memorabilia,  as  well  as  being  a  lifelong  Hammers fan,  purchased  a  copy  of  the  original  song sheet  music  of  the  tune  which  proved  that  Brockman  although  not  the  composer  nevertheless  was  linked  closely  with  the  song  in  another  way.     

The  song  itself  was  originally  written  and  composed  around  1919  in  America  by  Jaan  Kenbrovin  and  John  William  Kellette.  A  hit  tune  in  the  United  States,  before  crossing  the  Atlantic  to  these  shores,  the  song  likewise  also  became  a  hit  with  the  British  public  in  the  music  halls  and  theatres  that  were  the  popular  places  of  entertainment  during  the  early  1990s.  One  particular  artist,  a  Miss  Dorothy  Ward,  was  especially  known  for  making  it  a  popular  song  at  the  time  with  her  appearances  on  the  stages  around  the  country.         

According  to  the  small  print  at  the  foot  of  the  English  publication,  belonging  to  Alan  Jacobs,  the  copyright  of  1919  was  originally  owned  by  the  Kendis-Brockman  Music  Co.  Inc.,  but  was  transferred  later  that  year  to  Jerome  H.  Rernick  &  Co.  of  New  York  and  Detroit.  It  appears  therefore  that  James  Brockman  was  not  the  composer  but  one  of  the  original  publishers  of  the  song,,  being  a  partner  in  the  Kendis-Brockman  Music  Company  who  doubtless  purchased  the  rights  to  the  title  of  the  tune  from  Kenbrovin  and  Kellette,  the  joint  composers.   Incidentally,  James  Brockman  died  in  Santa  Monica,  California  in  May  1967  at  80- years-of- age.

Contrary  to  popular  belief,  “Bubbles”  was  not  sung  by  the  Club’s  supporters  in  1923  when  the  Hammers  met  Bolton  Wanderers  in  the  first  Wembley  FA  Cup  Final.  Indeed,  a  souvenir  leaflet  issued  on  the  occasion  of  that  event  has  words  printed  to  be  sung  by  the  Hammers  fans  to  the  refrain  of  “Till  We  Meet  Again”.

It  was  not  until  around  the  mid-1920s  that  the  tune  was  probably  adopted  by  West  Ham  United  supporters,  but  doubtless  it  had  been  heard  at  the  Boleyn  Ground  in  one  form  or  another  since  the  beginning  of  that  decade.  The  circumstances  of  it being sung by the fans for the first time were  somewhat  unusual  to  say  the  least.

At  the  time,  schoolboy  soccer  was  extremely  popular  and  there  were  often  1,000  or  more  fans  around  the  touchlines  of  pitches  in  the  West  Ham  area  when  matches  took  place  on  Saturday  mornings  between  teams  of  14-year-olds  (the  school  leaving  age  at  the  time).  During  that  era  the  County  Borough  of  West  Ham,  as  it  was  known  before  its  amalgamation  with  the  County  Borough  of  East  Ham  some  four  decades  later  into  the  London  Borough  of  Newham,  had  many  more  schools  than  it  has  at  present.  The  West  Ham  Schools’  League  was  divided  into  sections  with  Championship  play-offs  at  the  end  of  the  season.  One  of  the  West  Ham  Champions  was  Park  School  -  situated  in  Ham  Park  Road  -  near  West  Ham  Park  in  the  Upton  area  of  the  Borough.  Park  School  was  so  successful  that  it  was  able  to  field  seven  or  eight teams  each  week  at  different  age  levels. Its  headmaster  was  a  Mr.  Cornelius  Beal  who  was  a  great  football  enthusiast,  and  a  friend  of  the  then  West  Ham United  trainer  and  subsequent  Manager  -  Charlie  Paynter.

“Corney”  Beal  also  had  a  talent  for  music  and  rhymes  and  wrote  special  words  to  the  tune  of  “Bubbles”  and  when  any  player of  the  Park  School  was  having  a  good  game  the  spectators  would  mention  him  by  name  in  a  parody  of  the  tune.  These  ditties  were  a  form  of   predecessor  to  the  terrace  chants  that  became  popular  many  years  later.

In  the  Park  School  team  there  was  a  fair-haired  lad  named  W.  (Billy)  J.  “Bubbles”  Murray,  so  called  because  of  his  distinct  and  almost  uncanny  resemblance  to  the  boy  in  the  famous  painting  by  Millais  entitled  “Bubbles”.
The  painting  had  become  well-known  to  the  public  as  it  was  used  to  advertise  Pears  Soap  which  was  popular  at  the  time  and  for  many  years  afterwards.  Bubbles  Murray  was  such  a  good  footballer  that  he  managed  to  hold  his  place  in  the  senior  team  although  being  some  two  years  younger  than  the  average  age  of  his  team-mates.

A  famous  former  pupil  of  Park  School  had  been  Syd  Puddefoot,  who  became  a  Hammers  legend  between  1913  and  1922,  before  his  transfer  to  Falkirk.  Then, after  the  end  of  the  First  World  War  (1914-18)  another  pupil  was  “Big  Jim”  Barrett  who  likewise  became  a  similar  hero  at  Upton  Park  between  1925  to  1939.  Indeed,  Barrett,  at  inside-right,  and  “Bubbles”  Murray,  at  right-half,  and  Hughes  in  goal  were  not  only  team-mates  at  Park  School  but  were  in  the  West  Ham  Boys  side  of  1920-21  that  played  Liverpool  Boys  at  Upton  Park  in  the  English  Shield  Championship  Final  which  the  visitors  won  3-2.  Jim  Barrett  scored  the  second  goal  for  his  team  with  a  shot  from  20  yards  out  to  put  them  back  in  front  after  Liverpool  had  equalised.  A  great  Liverpool  rally  saw  them  score  twice  in  two  minutes  to  end  worthy  winners.  Amongst  the  crowd  of  30,000,  that  broke  the  existing  attendance  record  at  the  Boleyn  Ground  that  day,  was  the  then  Duke  of  York,  later  HM  King  George  VI.

So  Mr.  Beal’s  ditties  were  often  heard  at  Upton  Park  whenever  “Bubbles”  and  his  team-mates  were  playing  there  either  for  the  Park  School  side  or  the  District  team.  Although  the  two  friends,  Corney  Beal  and  Charlie  Paynter,  were  instrumental  in  Jim  Barrett  signing  for  the  Hammers  as  a  professional  at  the  age  of  16  in  1923,  after  he  was  capped  as  a  schoolboy  international  two  years  earlier,  Billy  Murray  did  not  join  him  in  the  ranks  at  the  Boleyn  Ground.  So, although  the  association  of  the  “Bubbles”  song  with  schools’  football  gradually  faded  away,  the  words and music  doubtless  still  lingered  in  the  minds  of  Hammers fans.

The  memories  were  also enhanced  as  was  stated  in  a  letter  to  the  local  Beckton  Gas  Works  “Pensioners’  Bulletin”  magazine  during  1983  by  a  former  employer   who  recalled  that  for  a  period  of  time  (around  the  1920s  to  1930s  presumably)   the  Company  Band  “were  engaged  by  the  West  Ham  United  Football  Club  to  play  for  20  minutes  before  the  kick-off  and 10  minutes  at  the  interval.”  He  added: “We  played  “Bubbles”  and  it  very  quickly  became  a  favourite  with  the  crowd.  If  we  did  not  play  “Bubbles”  the  crowd  would  sing  it  -  so  we  always  played  it  just  before  the  kick-off.”

In  later  years  (during  the  1950s,  60s  and  70s)  the  tradition  was  carried  on  by  the  “K”  Division  Metropolitan  Police  Band,  the  Leyton  Silver  Band  and  finally  the  British  Legion  Band.

In  2002  there  was  speculation  that  “I’m  Forever  Blowing  Bubbles”  was  sung  at  the  Boleyn  Ground  by  visiting  Swansea  Town  supporters  during  an  FA  Cup-tie  in  1921-22.  After  a  goalless  draw  away  at  Vetch  Field  the  two  teams  met  at  Upton  Park  only  to  share  two  goals  in  the  replay  which  resulted  in  a  further  replay  at  Ashton  Gate,  Bristol,  which  the  Welshmen  won  by  a  solitary  goal.  After  such  a  marathon  it  is  perhaps  not  surprising  that  a  number  of  Hammers  fans  remembered  the  distinctive  refrains  and  took  the  words  as  their  own,  if  indeed  the  song  had  been  sung  by  the  opposing  supporters.

To  perhaps  add  some  substance  to  that  theory,  David  Farmer  in  his  history  of  Swansea  Town  FC  does  state,  when  recounting  the  period  between  1920  to  1926,  that  in  match  reports  “Bubbles”  was  sung  at  all  home  games.  In  one  particular  newspaper  report  of  a  match  versus  Bury  on  8th  January  1921  the  comment  is  made : ”At  2.20 pm  came  the  ever  popular  singing  of “Bubbles”  from  the  main  bank  with  one  tremendous  sway.”   

The  song  since  the  1920s  became  popular  all  around  the  Boleyn  Ground,  but  there  was  a  particular  affinity  with  it  and  those  fans  who  stood in  what  was  originally  known  as  the  “Chicken  Run”, the  terraced  area  which  occupied  the  side  of  the  pitch  where  the  East  Stand  is  now  situated.  They  soon  adopted  it  as  a  “theme  song”  to  encourage  the  team,  and  many  older  fans  may  recall  seeing  the  4,000  or  so  fans  who  occupied  that  standing  area  swaying  from  side  to  side  as  the  strains  of  “Bubbles”  drifted  across  the  stadium.

The  tradition  was  firmly  established  before  the  outbreak  of  World  War  Two  and  the  song  was  heard  at  Wembley  in  June 1940  when  the  Hammers  played  there  in  the  League  War  Cup  Final.  It  reached  the  peak  of  the  Wembley  hit  parade  during  the  FA  Cup  final  against  Preston  North  End  in  1964  and  then  went  Continental  during  the  following  season  with  the  Hammers  European  Cup  Winners’  Cup  excursions  before  finally  returning  to  the  “Twin  Towers”  for  the  Final  of  that  competition  in  May  1965.

Twelve   months  later,  it  was  heard  once  again  at  the  famous  stadium  during  England’s  campaign  in  the  World  Cup  as  three  Hammers  heroes  in  Captain  Bobby  Moore,  hat-trick  scorer  Geoff  Hurst  and  goalscorer  Martin  Peters  helped  England  win  the  Jules  Rimet  Trophy.  Subsequent  visits  by  the  Hammers  in  1975,  1980  and 1981  confirmed  to  all  those  who  might  not  have  known  previously  the  importance  of  “Bubbles”  to  all  Hammers  fans.

Now   nearly   90  years  after  its  adoption,  the  song  is  still  traditionally  associated  with  West  Ham  United  and  nothing  is  more  passion-rousing  than  hearing  those  famous  strains  reverberating  around  the  Boleyn  Ground  as  the  fans  get  behind  their  team  and  urge  them  on.   Not  only  is  it  heard  on  football  grounds  around  the  country  but  wherever  and  whenever  Hammers  fans  gather  together  at  dances,  parties,  family  gatherings,  etc.,  they  demand  that  their  tune  is  played  at  sometime  during  the  evening. 

It  has  been  said  that  the  words  of  the  song  are  too  sentimental  for  the 21st Century,  but  tradition  dies  hard and  especially  so  with  Hammers  supporters  who  would  agree  that  the  Club  would  not  be  West  Ham  United  without  its  very  own  distinctive  and  individualistic  theme  tune.

Link

Offline enoder

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • One Wool
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 01:08:31 pm »
I really love reading this feature - the bar has been raised with this one. Great work done by all involved, really appreciated.

Offline armchair

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 01:13:16 pm »
(OOC rant alert)

Nothing too bad. Apart from the glory supporters who jump on the band wagon of supporting a club because of their past success i.e. non-scousers.

Hey, I know why I started supporting Liverpool, it was a 3-0 win against Villa (FA Cup semi-final '96, my brother's team, ok there was a bit of glory involved ;) ). If I was a true glory supporter I would have started with the mancs moved on to Arsenal for a season and would now be declaring that I supported Chelsea all my life. I also wouldn't have sat in the pub watching the Palace match while some idiot shouts at Garcia "Go back to Spain, you wanker" followed by large cheers from what I can guess are mainly manc and chelsea fans taking up most of the pub.

Supporting Liverpool in Ireland ain't easy.
But I do have plenty of respect for the regular match-going "old-school" fan
(Rant over )

Apart from that it's a good article.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 01:15:10 pm by armchair »

Offline comeonyouirons

• Boys Pen
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 05:42:03 pm »
Hi really enjoyed reading the thread.  A lot of quality work must have been put in there by Roper, but the results speak for themselves......Well done Sir.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow but disappointed that I will not be at Anfield.  I will be back at Upton park watching the live beam back.

Hopefully our two teams can produce some real good football and be involved in a great game.

As I answered in the survey my heart says a WHU win and my head says Liverpool.  So I predicted a one all draw.  Time will tell.

If Gerrard scores I will wear my Gerrard England shirt on Sunday.  Cisse always looks dangerous, I am surprised he does not play more often.

Pardew will sign a new contract for WHU after the game.  Please don't 'Hammer' us!!!

Enjoy the game guys!!!  And may the best team win.

Offline eXec-5

• Miles Ahead
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Play it again, Sam...
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 06:55:12 pm »
Love these threads; great work! Good answers all round, but to me this part stood out:

Why do you think it ever was a working-class game? Back in the 19th century, the Old Etonians won the FA Cup! Seriously, we'll never go back for the simple reason that the traditional, industrial working class no longer exists. Western economies are post-industrial. The vast majority of the population own their own homes and have white-collar jobs: that's middle-class by any conventional definition. The government is aiming to make 50 per cent of kids go to university. It's not football that's changed. It's the world.

Don't agree with the first part (it definitely was a working class game for a long while), but the rest is absolutely spot on. Football changed because society did.
All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Offline rednose54

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 06:59:21 am »
Fantastic read, well done to all. I`m not arselicking but I`m made up the `ammers are back in the top flight, but no love today.
LIVERPOOL FC SHOULD NOT PLAY A GAME OF FOOTBALL ON THE 15TH APRIL.

NOT THIS YEAR OR ANY YEAR.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 11:10:37 am »
Good to see you on ere "comeonyouirons" - stick about mate. :wave

Offline Dickie Sam Cratchet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • A boy from the Mersey
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 11:37:23 am »
I really love reading this feature - the bar has been raised with this one. Great work done by all involved, really appreciated.

Yeah, I agree this is one of the features of this site that I look forward too and the standard is improving all the time.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 04:08:44 pm »
Cracking half-time read Andy, thanks to all the West Ham fans for their contributions and you for the hard work involved.