Author Topic: Spyin Kop: Crystal Palace v Liverpool  (Read 6709 times)

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
Spyin Kop: Crystal Palace v Liverpool
« on: May 3, 2014, 11:05:10 pm »
Thanks to Barca Eagle at Holmesdale and the other lads from CPFC.org for taking the time to contribute.

What were your expectations at the start of the season?

New LP: Relegation but have a good time along the way.

Lewarse: A swift return to the Championship but a good earner for the club.

Ninjas Headband: A relegation fight to the last day of the season.

Beef: Do our best to avoid relegation. I was expecting it to go down to the last game but had a feeling we might stay up

Pistol Knight: Relegation battle

How do you look back on Holloway's tenure?

New LP:It was very strange, we were inept for nearly all of it apart from 3 playoff games which included beating our biggest rivals in the semi final. I will always be grateful for that but it was 100% correct that he left

Lewarse: We probably would have won automatic promotion under Freedman. We had two of the best wingers in the division and a center forward who scored goals for fun- but more importantly we were defensively solid. Holloway came in and changed a winning formula - we had no problem scoring goals before his tenure but he still felt the need to sacrifice defence for attack. Under Freedman and co. that season our record was 8W-3D-3L. Under Holloway 11W-12D-9L. He got found out in the end but respect where it's due, he was an absolute genius in the playoffs.

Ninja's Headband: Big high's and sore Lows. Took over a team playing well, tried to change to his style of football, failed, realised in time to get us promoted but was ultimately his undoing as the huge task of keeping Palace in the Premier was too much for him.

Beef:Mixed feelings really, we stumbled into the playoffs and Holloway did an excellent job to get us promoted. It all fell to pieces after the summer - his tactics were shown up and his lack of defending exploited.

Pistol Knight: Mixed really, got us up then lost the plot

Barcelona Eagle: Holloway's tenure for me was typically Palace, a ride on rickety big dipper come log flume. The game before he took control we pumped Ipswich to go top, from then on in
we seemed to try our best to not get promotion. I hold him in high regard for Brighton away and Watford, and again for walking away (and becoming agent Ian in our mission to see scumwall in the third division, AGAIN).

Holloway left with 3 points out of 24. Even then, were you resigned to being relegated?

New LP:I genuinely thought if we got Pulis then we have a chance of survival

Lewarse: I was resigned to relegation before a ball had been kicked...

Ninja's Headband:Yes. Feared that we might beat Derby’s record of fewest points in the top division.

Beef:After we lost to Fulham I was pretty much resigned. I didn't think we were as bad as the media made out but I struggled to see where we would get points.

Pistol Knight: More or less, but were Palace were used to this sort of crap.

Barca Eagle: I did think we would go down at that point as well as before the season had kicked off, like most I was none to confident with our summer signings. On the other hand I thought we were doing well, no one was whipping us.

Tony Pulis comes in, what were your expectations?
New LP: That he would get us organised and make us hard to beat. I wasn't actually expecting the decent football we've actually played at times though.

Lewarse: I was happy with the choice. I thought we would go down with a fight and Pulis would start forming his squad for a promotion run next season

NH: Hard tackles and hoofball.

Beef:I expected him to get the team working for each other, ship out players with the wrong attitude and get us organised defensively.

PK: Clog our way out of trouble with a load of 6 foot monsters.

Barca Eagle: Gritty team performances was all I really expected, however, he has got them playing extraordinarily well. I am still amazed we are safe. Cardiologist was hoping for some more work this april/may, his new ferrari is now on hold.

How has he changed things?
New LP: We are organised, everyone knows their jobs, he's made some good signings and gets the best out of anyone. He's a professional and I assure you that's not always a word you associate with CPFC!

Lewarse: We defend as a team now, much harder to break down. Less passing and possession but Rome wasn't built in a day. It's working, so absolutely no complaints.

NH:Pulis identified the main players for his starting line up, stuck by them to help give them belief. Introduced a hard work ethic with a well drilled team formation which was what the players needed.

Beef: He has dramatically improved our defence, settled on a system and a team, got the team fighting for each other and gave everyone the belief that we could stay up.

PK:Discipline, hard work and pace.

Barca Eagle:Holloway had his work cut out due to the well publicised scatter gun approach, after getting all those players in and some real late in the window he then had to gel them and get them all to know each other. TP has benefited from not having this period to deal with, that being said he has worked a mini miracle, I have no idea what he has instilled, but bless his cotton socks.

Looking forward, has Pulis created a rod for his own back will fans expect more?
New LP: There will always be a few idiots, but I think most people realise how tough that second season will be.

Lewarse:Probably. Football fans are fickle. Even when we win a small minority will tell you we aren't winning in a beautiful way... because that is what we are used to at this club... sexy football... 

NH:Most Palace fans are realistic with expectations. We know that the club still has some way to go before having the infrastructure expected of Premier League clubs.

Beef:Not at all. There are a lot of things to improve but most fans will be happy if we stay up again. I'd love to avoid a relegation scrap but you just never know.

PK:Nope next season will be a relegation battle.

Barca Eagle: I don't think he has yet set himself a benchmark, we still have to survive the famous second season syndrome, maybe after that some will start demanding champions league victories, for me though O just like looking down at The benders, the neanderthals and the clowns.

Who needs to be shown the exit door this summer and why?
New LP:Some of the fringe players will leave, but most of them were not really involved much. It will be interesting to see if Cameron Jerome gets a deal.

Lewarse:Quite a few need to go. Off the top of my dome- Parr, Garvan, Dobbie, Kebe etc. Some just aren't good enough and we've had more than 1 panic buys. It will be interesting to see what happens to Campana who is a great little player but has some sort of problem.

NH:Moxey, Dobbie, Ramage and a few others.

Beef:There are some fringe players left from last summer's spending spree who have probably been told to find a new club. Nothing too disastrous though.

PK:Quite a few, Kebe, Garvan, Thomas, Wilbraham, Alexander and either Moxey or Parr.

Barca Eagle: No one should be shown the exit door, the squad have produced this miracle, some have been better than others but I can't think of anyone who has played their part who should go, maybe some of the loaned out players, Kebe for instance.

What's the budget looking like for any recruitment?
New LP:I'm not sure, it's difficult because we obviously want to be ambitious but our club knows more than anyone how the finances can go wrong. Also we need to redvelop Selhurst.

Lewarse: I seriously doubt we will spend the 30million which has been rumored, it will be much closer to 10-15million I expect. Bit anxious to see what happens as not only will we find out if we are going to be transformed into Stoke II, but also Pulis likes to get his way and his expensive signings in the past have hardly set the world alight... although I do think Ledley and Dann have been top buys for us.

NH:Rumours that Pulis would like 30 million with possibly a big signing for a striker.

Beef:Probably a decent amount available for three or four good additions. I think we'll try to be sensible and not overspend though

PK:Not a clue but don't think the board will throw money at aging players on big money. (I hope not anyway)

Barca Eagle: Not too sure on the budgets, I hope we stick to our current way of spending, nothing too extravagant whilst improving and with sensible contracts in place. Messi would be nice though.

I was at Anfield and travelling support were excellent. It arguably even better at home. What do you attribute this to?
New LP:Our support is organised but it's been like this for some years now.

Lewarse:The HF. They sing - everybody else just joins in.

NH:Combination of things but the two main reasons are; 1. We almost lost our club 4 years ago which helped to create a siege mentality to support the team through thick and thin. 2. The HF (Holmesdale Fanatics) are central to keeping the singing going for 90 minutes and introducing songs to make this possible.

Beef:Passionate fans and excitement about the club's progress and future. For the younger fans (including myself) this is the first time they've seen Palace stay up.

PK:The HF (Ultras) they keep things going even when were losing.

Do you think Palace can consolidate their position in the Premier League over the next few seasons?
New LP: If we keep Pulis yes.

Lewarse: If we can keep a hold of Pulis we will.

NH:We have the right people running our club to do this but there's still a lot of work to do, not least the long term development of the ground.

Beef:I think we can. Next season will be a good test.

Liverpool now

What has impressed you about Liverpool this season?

New LP: Suarez-the best player in the league and Brendan Rodgers for turning them into genuine title contenders. Steven Gerrard obviously.

Lewarse:They are the most enjoyable team to watch this season. In terms of attack, nobody can match Liverpool.

NH:Entertaining football.

Beef:The strike-force and red nets.

Barca Eagle: The all out attack system you seem to have, reminds me of the Liverpool of the 80's, even Suarez has one me over a bit (still think he's a nasty little cùnt) but he has calmed down on the diving, racially abusing, booting and spitting and his football is second to nne. Sterling, Sturridge and Henderson have also come on leaps and bounds.

Do you think Brendan Rodgers has what it takes to be a consistent manager at the top level?
New LP:Yes, but does he have a plan B when digging in is required?

Lewarse:100%.

NH:Yes.

Beef:Possibly but too early to judge. He has done a great job so far but we need to see how he manages a team competing in a lot of competitions.

PK: Yes

Barca Eagle: BR has been producing good successful (with what he had)football for a few years now, he looks like he could be a great coach, maybe one day England will again produce a great coach.

Where do you think Liverpool need to improve? 8 more players?
New LP:You will know much better than me, but defensively perhaps? You concede too many and perhaps that's bitten you on the arse in the end?

Lewarse: Invest in defence. It's the only thing which is holding you back at the moment... you've conceded 3 more goals than us  ... that may change on Monday though 

PK: 8!! 2 or 3 good buys

Barca Eagle: Strength in depth, a couple of injuries to key players and you could be in trouble.

Do you think Liverpool played into Chelsea's hands last week, therefore they have only themselves to blame?
New LP:Yes, Mourinho did a number on you I'm afraid.

Lewarse:Probably. Chelsea tend to struggle against defensive sides. Playing deep and counter attacking them might have worked at 0-0 but when you gift them a goal, what can you do? You had to go at them.

Beef:Yes. A team going for the championship needs to be able to adapt to different teams. I think the bleating about Chelsea's defending shows a certain immaturity.

PK: Yep the Mourhino effect

Style or substance. Is 'winning' football all that matters regardless of method?
New LP:I think there are many ways of playing football, that's the beauty of it. It makes me laugh when managers criticise teams for daring to defend. Pelegrini did this to us after we held City to a 1-0 defeat at the Etihad. I'm sure he'd prefer us to of gone there and played open football; and shipped 5 or 6!

Lewarse: Everybody wants to see see their club play 'total football' - at Palace, we don't have a team capable of playing that way and still winning a game in the Premiership - we simply don't have the quality. It's a business and the players are paid to win at the end of the day. It's like polishing a turd - no matter how many passes we completed or how much possession we've had, a loss is a loss, and at a small club like ours we can't afford to take style over substance. I think most fans would rather take the Premiership title playing ugly football over finishing 2nd playing beautiful football.

NH:I'd take a scrappy win over a stylish defeat any day.

Beef: I think you only have to look at Arsenal for the answer to that. The best teams can attack with pace and purpose but can also defend for their lives. So the answer is probably a bit of both.

PK: Hard one, who says what style is easy on the eye and whats not, winning is the main aim for a lot of clubs.

Barca Eagle: A mixture is required if a team is to stay successful. Barca are getting sussed out now and Martino is struggling to implement a different approach or a plan B.

Care to predict the score?
Barca Eagle: 9-0 revenge
Good luck winning the league, just not at Selhurst though.

Shameless plug: I'm raising money for a couple of great causes. Any spare change welcome. Just click the link in my sig  :wave

« Last Edit: May 4, 2014, 08:11:47 am by archie »

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
Re: Spyin Kop: Crystal Palace v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2014, 11:06:58 pm »
Maybe some unpopular responses to the Chelsea question but I thought it was interesting to see what other fans thought.

Will that derail the thread? Hope not.

Let me know what you think.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2014, 08:09:32 am »
Maybe some unpopular responses to the Chelsea question but I thought it was interesting to see what other fans thought.

That seems to be the general consensus though. Even Carragher said they did a number on us on TV and didnt really labour on the slip.

I thought it was a good spyin piece.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2014, 01:01:39 pm »
Brilliant thanks Archie, good to have you back writing.
Yep.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2014, 01:33:34 pm »

They were spot on about the Chelsea game imho. We may not like the way they play but it worked for them, they got a great result and we didn't.

Good read anyway, thanks. They seem like a decent lot.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2014, 01:39:13 pm »
Nice one Archie, they seem quite a sensible bunch also.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2014, 01:39:49 pm »
Excellent read.
A sensible bunch all in all. Pleased they're staying up.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2014, 01:49:46 pm »
Good piece! I always enjoy these. It's good to read about other clubs, their predictions and challenges. Thinking about them, it must have been some situation to be destined for the Championship, everyone more or less being prepared for it, and then hear about Pulis being appointed. How things can change...

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2014, 01:59:15 pm »
Very good that.  It's going to be a cracker down there tomorrow night.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2014, 02:18:44 pm »
I enjoyed that, thank you.

Interesting and measured responses from the Palace fans. It takes a lot of passion to stick by your team when they face the challenges at the wrong end of the table and they have a refreshing attitude. Nothing wrong about their analysis of our Chelsea match either, apart from the Plan B claim (which to be fair, is widespread in our own fans too).
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2014, 02:23:59 pm »
Haven't won at selhurst in league since 1997

Another record that needs breaking
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2014, 03:10:18 pm »
They seem as solid a bunch as I've ever seen on a Spyin Kop. No absolute blerts and even the somewhat critical responses were hard to argue against. Still hate watching/playing Pulis teams though.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2014, 03:12:39 pm »
Thanks mate, CP fans must be astonished looking at the table and the position they're in, looking down on some big clubs. Its an amazing achievement for them.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2014, 03:44:59 pm »
Good read, thanks Archie.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 5, 2014, 11:12:16 am »
Nice one Archie mate, s
Decent answers. I'm a closet Palace fan thanks to watching the HF on YouTube and what not. They are a credit to their club & south London.
The transition from Freedman to Holloway & Pullis has been fascinating. Horses for courses  I suppose anyway good luck next season

rickety big dipper come log flume - we know how that feels :D

PS Archie hope we get a game in Moscow next season!

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #15 on: May 5, 2014, 11:23:30 am »
Realistic fans there. They seem like a decent bunch. Interesting read.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Evans

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: May 5, 2014, 11:23:30 am »
Great read. Thanks for this! Seems like a decent bunch too. Always a joy to read a well-made and well-answered Spyin Kop.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 5, 2014, 11:39:40 am »
They're not wrong about Chelsea - we've seen that weaker teams than ours can effectively frustrate and smother them, but what's done is done. 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Sweeney94

• Anny Roader
« Reply #18 on: May 5, 2014, 11:57:55 am »
A good read, and seem like genuine football fans. Well done Palace on staying up  :)

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 5, 2014, 12:36:33 pm »
A good read, and seem like genuine football fans. Well done Palace on staying up  :)

Well I thought so too - but had a quick peek on their forum. They have a separate thread on what songs to sing in tonight's match.

Each and every one of the songs being discussed can be summed up in - "hahaha gerrard slipped hahah he fell on his arse hahah liverpool lost the title hahaa"

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #20 on: May 5, 2014, 12:41:36 pm »
Palace are a proper football club.

My son-in-law is a lifelong Eagle so I've been to lots of games there over the past five years. They create a great atmosphere given the modest crowds. And their relationship with Brighton is exactly like ours with United.

Then there's the eagle - a real one; and then there's the cheerleaders...

Oh and Pulis is far less one-dimensional than his Stoke tenure might suggest.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #21 on: May 5, 2014, 12:49:21 pm »
Tony Pulis comes in, what were your expectations?

PK: Clog our way out of trouble with a load of 6 foot monsters.

;D

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 5, 2014, 12:50:41 pm »
Nice one Archie. They seem like a decent bunch.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #23 on: May 5, 2014, 01:04:26 pm »
Not wishing to muscle-in unduly on Archie's work (let me know if you want it moving), but I've also interviewed a Palace fan this week - Matt Woosnam, online editor of the Five Year Plan Fanzine:

Ahead of Monday evenings Selhurst Park encounter, The Redmen TV spoke with Palace fanzine Five Year Plan’s Matt Woosnam – thanks to Matt for providing his insight:

Back at the start of October you said “Give me 17th position with a few impressive victories and I’ll be happy” – you’re currently 11th, 9 points clear of 17th and having been safe for weeks.  You must be delighted?

Matt:  “Oddly enough, I wouldn't say delighted. I am very content and proud of the club - which for me encompasses the team, owners, management staff and supporters - for achieving such a remarkable feat given that everyone wrote us off. Beating Everton at Goodison Park ranks in my top five away days ever; a very impressive victory with a superb performance and cracking atmosphere (from the Palace fans). Obviously beating Chelsea at home was a highlight too. It's been a great season and I'm very happy with where we are, but every place is worth more money and pride so I hope we don't let up for our sake as well as the integrity of the title race and relegation deciders - though I'm sure we won't.”

What were your initial reactions when Tony Pulis was handed the job back in mid-November?
Matt:  “Something along the lines of "urgh, please not Pulis." I wanted a young, up and coming manager, regardless of how utopian that was. The rhetoric surrounding Pulis and his style of play did not endear me to him whatsoever. At the same time, I think there was a very small part of me saying that a manager who had never been relegated wouldn't be quite so bad. Obviously I was wrong to be so dismissive, but let's not kid ourselves that he has used the same tactics he did at Stoke, or played very attractive counter-attacking football. Some games have been dire to watch, although the majority of late have been exciting and unpredictable. Of course I'm pleased with how he has done, but I still have one or two concerns about our style next season and a potential lack of commitment to blooding youth players. We'll see though, I'm perfectly happy to have Pulis at the helm.”

...and what do you put his success at Crystal Palace down to?

Matt:  “Organisation. Every player knows where they are playing, what is expected of them, and how to carry out their role. The team spirit that got us promoted has returned under Pulis and he's done superbly to ensure our rigidity and I guess he has made us more clinical too.”

Last time we spoke, you reflected on Simon Jordan’s tenure – now nearly four years into the current ownership arrangement, does the Club appear to be in safe hands?

Matt:  “Having never met Mr Jordan, it would be a trifle unfair to be too harsh on him, but Palace were a bit of a joke club to some under his tenure I feel; whilst his business acumen was sketchy at best. I have on numerous occasions chatted to and interviewed co-chairman Steve Browett, and you truly feel that he is one of us. The four owners - Browett, Parish, Long and Hosking - have consistently reiterated that they will not risk the club's future. The club has probably never had better owners than it currently does. The best thing is, they are all genuine Palace fans who bought very expensive season tickets.”

You’ve been relegated during every top-flight appearance in over twenty years – in an unfamiliar position, what will you be looking for over the summer and into next season?

Matt:  “Naturally you would take the last twenty years as that is the Premier League era and it's a marker to compare against; but Palace have actually reached the dizzying heights of third in the top flight before - notable for Liverpool's ban in Europe suddenly being lifted to prevent us from making our European debut - but I digress. I'm hoping that a target man will come in, one who can score goals. Another left-back seems likely and maybe a couple of wingers. Honestly, I'll be happy with three or four players in, keep the core of the side together and just pick up where we have left off.”

After almost a full season, what are your reflections on your summer signings and what impact have January’s additions made?  Glenn Murray’s return must also have been pleasing?

Matt:  “Well, the majority of the summer signings have been disposed of in one way or another. Dwight Gayle is one who has impressed me whenever I've seen him; but he needs to find more to his game than superb finishing or his Palace career could be short. Marouane Chamakh simply oozes class on the ball and his experience and skill has been invaluable to us this season. Adrian Mariappa has been brought in at right-back - as Joel Ward has moved to solve the left-back problem - and not looked out of place, impressing and removing some of my doubts about him. From January, Scott Dann has been in superb form at centre-half, composed and looking every part a Premier League player. I think largely January's signings have pushed on the form of the players they are competing with - Bolasie, Puncheon and Speroni all excelling since Hennessey and Ince were brought in.”

The recent run of five successive victories, your first since 1992, has obviously proved pivotal but what has been the other high and low points of your season?

Matt:  “The low point was probably the 4-1 defeat to Fulham. I was checking my phone at the time of their stunning equaliser so that wasn't quite so painful. The run under Holloway was just so miserable and reminded me that this was Palace and things never work out how they are supposed to - which is why Monday is so hard to call. Dwight Gayle's pearler at Aston Villa on Boxing Day was a highlight, whilst the atmosphere at the Chelsea home match was out of this world so that made it even sweeter. As mentioned earlier, beating Everton was great, the in-form side, especially after 12 hours on a coach for nothing the last time around.”

Presumably all of your hopes have been far surpassed but a top-half position is well within your reach – looking at what the sides around you have left, what are your hopes and expectations for this last eight days of the season?

Matt:  “I just want us to compete. I've only ever wanted us to give it our best shot and play to the levels we are capable of. I hope to enjoy the final two matches and I think you will just pip us but a victory at Fulham on the final day would cap a memorable season. If we can finish ninth - with Newcastle's abysmal form it's conceivable - I would be delighted. Realistically I think tenth is achievable.”

Are there any stories around the Club/amongst the fan base that the mainstream may have missed out on?

Matt:  “The first one which springs to mind is the story of an eight-year-old girl, Scarlett Hewitt. This young girl needs £65,000 to undergo an operation to let her walk again unaided (read more of her story here http://www.fiveyearplanfanzine.co.uk/news/4791-young-crystal-palace-supporter-dreams-of-walking-unaided.html) and so far Palace fans have raised a significant sum alongside friends and family - even Brighton fans have joined in - and our fanzine Five Year Plan will be selling at £2, with £1 from each copy going to Scarlett. Palace made her the mascot in the Man City game and instead of walking out with Yannick Bolasie, she was carried in his arms to the centre-circle for the pre-match welcoming ceremony. If any Liverpool fans wish to donate then follow the link at the bottom of the article. Other than that, in terms of player performance, I think Joel Ward has gone under the radar.”

What have you thought of Liverpool, and the job that Brendan Rodgers has done, this season?

Matt:  “I can't stand Luis Suarez but he is an absolutely outstanding footballer, take nothing away from him there. It's been interesting to see how the season has unfolded and I've always liked Brendan Rodgers as a young exciting manager who plays the sort of football that gets people excited and into the stadium. Defensively I think you are slightly lacking in quality and ultimately I think it will cost you the title but that's always going to be sacrificed to an extent when you play with the attacking freedom that Liverpool do. Raheem Sterling's performances have caught my eye as I've been tracking his career since the stories of QPR planning to play him at 14 had surfaced.”

Turning attention to Monday then – how do you expect the sides to approach the match, how do you see it playing out, and would you care to offer a prediction?

Matt:  “Palace will undoubtedly seek to contain Liverpool and counter with pace and precision. It didn't work against Man City because they scored early on and then set out to be rigid and match Palace. It's a must-win game for you and as such I think Rodgers will look to settle the nerves with an early goal - Palace have not won this season after going behind - but his comments about our style of play were misplaced and ignorant at best. As good as Palace have been of late, apart from against City, I can't see us having the ability to contain you, so I think it will be a 2-1 away victory.”

Please read more about Scarlett’s Wish to Walk via the following link:  http://www.fiveyearplanfanzine.co.uk/news/4791-young-crystal-palace-supporter-dreams-of-walking-unaided.html.

This Match Preview, including this Q&A, is available at: http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/15274

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #24 on: May 5, 2014, 01:07:15 pm »
In return, Matt of Five Year Plan asked me my thoughts in 'From the Other Side':

What is the secret to Liverpool's success this season?

I don’t believe there’s been any great secret as such – we’ve spent much of the season, I’d say since that low point in Hull at the start of December, playing with an exuberance and a hunger that many have simply failed to live with.  Our knack of scoring early goals, or indeed first half goals at all, has been fantastic and has spoiled the day of many a side before they’ve established a foothold in games.

In addition, I’d suggest that the obvious cohesion throughout the whole Club has been a significant factor in maintaining the upwards trajectory.  We endured a difficult half-decade prior to 2012 – what stemmed from the very top, our infamous former-owners, manifested itself in discord at many levels.  This season though, it’s been clear that everybody at the Club, on and off the pitch, has been on the same page – everybody looks to be thoroughly enjoying things and the solidarity provides a fantastic foundation.

What would you say are the Red's weaknesses and how can Palace exploit them?

A lot of our success this season has come down to exploiting space quickly and aggressively, particularly since Raheem Sterling was reintroduced to the side in December and Steven Gerrard moved into a deeper role a few months back.  Aside from that, it’s clever movement of both bodies and the ball that have served us well – Jordan Henderson, Daniel Sturridge, and Philippe Coutinho, not to mention Sterling and Luis Suarez, have been key to this.  If you keep things compact and organised, we’ll find it more difficult to find space to exploit and, if Sturridge (as well as suspended Henderson) isn’t fit to start, probing for those gaps in advanced areas could prove tricky – Coutinho will try all evening long but it won’t be easy if you’re deep and we’re relatively static.  Joe Allen’s form is a plus, on that front, however.

In other areas, Yannick Bolasie and Jason Puncheon certainly pose a threat – Gerrard’s deep position often renders what SKY/BBC producers would have you believe is a back-four a back-three...our full-backs like to play high up the pitch so getting your wide-men running at our relatively ‘new’ centre-back partnership may offer you some success.

What did you learn about Palace from the home fixture, and what are your thoughts on the team now?

Looking back now, it appears we met at a strange moment in the season for each of our sides – you were struggling massively to adjust to the top-flight and we’d had a bit of a wobble (drawing away to Swansea City and losing at home to Southampton) after our solid start.

Tony Pulis has done a fantastic job since taking over, though, and you’re an entirely different prospect – even if a five-match winning streak might (hypothetically) be tough for your side to repeat, I don’t think your position flatters you at all and fighting for the top half is roundabout where you deserve to be.  Mile Jedinak has impressed me each time I’ve seen him and Bolasie and Puncheon look to have really stepped up and provided a threat from wide areas in recent months.

Pulis or Rodgers for manager of the year, and why? - Honest answer!

Everybody reading will be fully aware of the virtues of each during their time at their respective clubs this season but, bringing the entire year/pre-season into it, I don’t think Brendan Rodgers’ (albeit presumably with the aid of the Club’s hierarchy) handling of the Luis Suarez ‘affair’ can be overlooked.  The body-language experts, back when Suarez re-joined the squad in Melbourne last summer, may have been overanalysing somewhat but the performances we’ve had from Suarez, and the fact he’s clearly so well integrated in both the team and the group, have been remarkable.  Rodgers, who it would have been easy to dismiss as young and inexperienced at any point prior to his arrival or when the going got tough, deserves a lot of credit for his involvement.

Nevertheless, Pulis really has made a great impact and, presuming he does stay, I’d expect you to be clear of significant danger again by spring next season – given that, in many ways, you were promoted on the back foot, to be realistically aiming to firmly establish yourselves as a top-flight side next season is a great achievement in itself.

Palace have been a bogey team for Liverpool over the years at Selhurst Park, does that make you a little uneasy approaching the fixture knowing what rests on it?

I tend to think that the length of time that that record comprises lessens its impact.  Both Crystal Palace and Liverpool have found themselves in very different guises over those years.  In five league matches away to Pulis’ Stoke City, we lost three and drew two so that might be more of a factor!

Given that it’s your final home game of the season, however, I expect your support to really have your side fired up – there’s still the chance of that top-half finish and you’ll be celebrating a fantastic season and the great job that Pulis has done.  I’m certainly not expecting an easy game against a side looking forward to their summer holidays!

Will Liverpool win the title?

At 26 years old I’m still very much pinching myself at questions like this being pitched at this stage of the season – it’s usually a rarity even during pre-season!  We’ve been in a strange scenario during the run-in whereby its almost been favourable that Manchester City have had the two (now one) games in hand – more games in which they can drop points in many ways!  I’m confident we’ll take the 6 points and I was encouraged by the performances of Aston Villa and West Ham United, Man City’s remaining opponents, this weekend but the fact you’ve used “will” makes it too tough to answer!  Hope and belief are certainly things that supporting Liverpool give you though...

Finally, a score prediction?

A solid 2-0 away victory – sending us into an unexpected final-day nail-biter against Newcastle United at Anfield.

http://fiveyearplanfanzine.co.uk/features/4852-from-the-other-side-liverpool-h-5-5-2014.html

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 5, 2014, 04:05:37 pm »
cheers archie,,
bollocks

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #26 on: May 5, 2014, 04:59:14 pm »
Haven't won at selhurst in league since 1997

Another record that needs breaking

We won 2-1 there in 2000

Offline Garcias Sangria

• Anny Roader
  • Not in The Grafton on a Friday night
« Reply #27 on: May 5, 2014, 05:35:11 pm »
Sound like a decent bunch.
Quote from: Owl
If some of u fucking bellends are seriously arsed about this then go to fucking sleep or knock our self out by charging straight at a wall.
It's a fucking pre season
Fuck off u twats
Quote from: Upinsmoke
Go to sleep, but it's only 2.55am

Div

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 5, 2014, 08:40:59 pm »
What a wonderful crowd there !
Listen to them singing !
Banter aside, one of the best crowds I;ve heard in a long while !

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 5, 2014, 08:48:58 pm »
What a wonderful crowd there !
Listen to them singing !
Banter aside, one of the best crowds I;ve heard in a long while !

Amazing.

Not too many sides that create a home atmosphere like that.