Author Topic: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 0-1 Leeds  (Read 5238 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 0-1 Leeds
« on: September 27, 2005, 09:41:59 pm »
It was a damp night in Wrexham tonight and it was definitely cold enough to justify getting on the Bovril. Having missed the last "home" game I was looking forward to tonight. It was my first chance to see Idrizaj and the two great light hopes Guthrie and Hammill were playing. Not only that but I found out that Harry Kewell would be on the bench.

Watching the players warm up before the game I noticed Kewell had his hair in what can only be described as a bun on top of his head. He really doesn't do himself any favours, but in fairness he was looking very lean.

As the game kicked off I noticed that Dirty Leeds were a relatively small side. Perhaps they had reverted to a more modern style of football renouncing the mysterious dark arts? I also noticed that one of the young lads in front of me had ANTWI on the back of his shirt. Godwin it seems is starting his own cult already!

The first chance of the game came on 5 minutes. Calliste tried to control but the ball bounced away from him and fell into the path of Guthrie, he took aim from fully thirty yards but shot a few feet wide of the post. Moment later and Calliste was very unlucky when a late flag adjudged him offside. He would have been clean through.

Idrizaj's first impact on the game came when he miscontrolled and luckily beat his man. As he approached the goal one on one, he shot powerfully, but too close to the goalkeeper and the chance had gone.

His next impact on the game was to give a silly freekick away, and it was a mistake Liverpool would pay for. The ball was whipped in with pace and in Manno's attempts to clear he glanced it toward the far bottom corner. Willis dived athletically and knocked the ball away, but he didn't get the luck he deserved as the ball fell to Simon Walton to slot home from about 8 yards.

On twenty five minutes Leeds should have doubled their advantage. United's Danny Pugh floated a sweet pass right into the path of the Leeds forward baring down on goal. He must have misread the ball as he allowed it to bounce past him and straight into the hands of Willis.

At times Liverpool were playing some nice intricate stuff, especially Guthrie and Calliste, but the final ball was missing. At the back they were being pressured a lot by Leeds and continued to make silly mistakes. O'Donnell had Willis to thank for another good save after a horrendous back pass let a Leeds player get a firm shot in approaching on the angle from the right.

The busy Calliste was involved again just after the half hour mark. After excellent work from him he slotted Idrazij in, he was tackled but the ball broke to Hammill. He bent the ball around two defenders and towards the top corner, but unfortunately, with the keeper nowhere, it just floated over.

Before the whistle went for half time Willis was called upon again. This time he saved a shot that he can't have seen too well as it squirmed through the crowd of players.

At half time the largely ineffective Idrazij was replaced up front by Antwi, at left back Whitbread came off to be replaced by James Smith. The break seemed to have energised our lads as they increased the tempo from the start.

Guthrie upped his game and the first chance came when he crossed to Antwi who couldn't quite change his body position and so flashed across the ball. Minutes later the ever impressive Guthrie megged the fullback as he slipped in Raven advancing down the right. He crossed, but Hammill heading from a long way out failed to hit the target.

I noticed as Liverpool defended a now rare Leeds attack that when Leeds gained a corner and Roque was off the pitch for treatment we still kept a man up front, how often do you see that in top flight football now? Proving the point the man in question, Calliste, was involved in the play thirty seconds later as he wriggled inside the box trying to get a shot off, but just failing.

Guthrie was causing havoc as the game progressed. He turned his man inside out in the right wing position and put in a perfect left wing cross. Antwi dived, but disappointingly failed to make proper contact with his head and the ball went behind for a goal kick.

With about twenty five minutes remaining Harry Kewell came on to replace Hammill. I spent the next twenty five minutes trying to find out what formation Liverpool had switched to, but I failed to work it out. They were very fluid is about all I can say.

Kewell's second touch of the game was a lovely turn resulting in a free kick in a dangerous position and a booking for the Leeds centre half. Unfortunately nothing came of the freekick and in fairness not a lot else came from the game.

There were a few moments of excitement: for Liverpool Guthrie posed more questions, Raven had a good long range attempt well saved, Mannix had a decent header straight at the keeper and Kewell had a half chance. For Leeds they had one great long range shot that deflected just wide, but as the formations changed late on, so did all the rhythm that the game once had.

Leeds were quite distasteful late on, proving nothing had actually changed. They took the ball into the corner flag with five minutes to go, they feigned injury and quite unbelievably, when one of the Leeds players was down "injured" their keeper kicked the ball out of the stadium.

The game whimpered out to a Leeds victory. Harry Kewell stood around on the pitch for a few minutes before realising that there wasn't an awards ceremony and finally the gang of five or six relentlessly moronic, tone deaf and utterly annoying Leeds fans stopped singing.

Man of the Match: Danny Guthrie. He was very impressive again, he is very two footed, he's industrious and he's creative. One to watch. A mention for Willis in goal who played very well too.

Liverpool Team
Paul Willis
David Raven
Zak Whitbread (45, James Smith)
Miquel Roque
Daniel O'Donnell
Jack Hobbs
Danny Guthrie
David Mannix
Ramon Calliste
Besian Idrizaj (45, Godwin Antwi)
Adam Hammill (65, Harry Kewell)

Unused Subs:
Paul Lancaster 
Lee Peltier

© AdamS 2005
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 11:14:31 am by AdamS »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
Re: Reds in Reserve Liverpool 0-1 Leeds
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 09:48:04 pm »
Cheers Adam - and welcome back Harry. Let's hope he uses last chance saloon.

You're always talking Guthrie up - how is he off for pace? From the highlights I've seen he looks more of a technical player than a pacey player - would that be fair?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 09:54:47 pm »
You're always talking Guthrie up - how is he off for pace? From the highlights I've seen he looks more of a technical player than a pacey player - would that be fair?
Well, yes. However he has an uncanny knack of beating men from a standing start, something normally associated with pace.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 10:14:54 pm »
Well, yes. However he has an uncanny knack of beating men from a standing start, something normally associated with pace.

I suppose that either means he accelerates quickly or the first yard is in his head ;)
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline kevinbrodie

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 11:26:24 pm »
These reports from the reserves are great. Thanks. Notice you didnt' mention Hobbs in the report, any good? Also did Kewell look interested body language wise or was he more into making sure he didn't pick up a knock?  Lastly, is it typical for Carson not to get a game the night before we play? I'm concerned that he has not seen much action at all.
Rafa is my Shankly

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 11:34:49 pm »
Cheers for the report. :D

Good to read about the fluent formation. Either it means we're very disorganised, or the pieces are beginning to fit together. I hope for the latter.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 11:53:20 pm »
Ta mate, keep em coming! Hard assessment to make but honestly do you reckon Guthrie could make it here?
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

Offline testudo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 12:09:09 am »
keep it up. i love reading about the reserves. it's nice to hear some thoughtful insight on the possible future first-teamers. *knock on wood*

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Re: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 0-1 Leeds
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 12:38:56 am »
Lastly, is it typical for Carson not to get a game the night before we play? I'm concerned that he has not seen much action at all.

Yep it is - they'd never risk a player within a coupe of days of a major game unless they desperately needed a run out. Also have to remember that Carson has played a few times for the England U21s this season.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 12:46:05 am »
cheers adams

love the reports mate.

Offline Jonno83

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 12:59:27 am »
cheers adam,
We will rise again...

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 03:33:46 am »
Thanks for the report!  Please keep it coming la!!

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 09:03:36 am »
Hobbs started well and faded as the game went on. He is growing in the role of centre midfielder though. He looks much more comfortable than he did receiving the ball with his back to goal now. He made one great challenge making up five yards on a lad and sliding in. Unfortunately he gave the ball away as he tried to pass when he was on the floor (when he could have stood up), but it was a terrific tackle.

Kewell was joining in and having a lugh with the lads before kick off. The whole ressies squad seems a lot more animated than last year. When he came on the game was very disjointed, but considering it was his first game since May he didn't do badly at all. He won one ball scrapping away in the middle of midfield and dropped deep a couple of times to pick the ball up.

Can Guthrie make it? If he continues his progression then yes, I think he can. If he doesn't make it for us he will make it at some level of football and at what ever level he plays he will be one of those players that is good to watch.

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 09:10:41 am »
Thanks Adam.

Talking about Hobbs, has he played in his favoured position of centre back yet this season? Any idea why he is playing centre midfield?

I'm aware he is only 16, and as such should be young enough to learn how to play in a new position, but I don't understand the reasons for this.
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 09:36:55 am »
Hobbs hasn't played Centre Half no. Two possible reason I see... We want him to be a midfielder, or we have so many centre backs we are turning him into a total football centre back (if you will :P ).

We have also been playing Antwi up front when he is a centre back. Problem is that we have Whitbread, Raven, O'Donnel, Roque, Hobbs and Antwi that can play centre back (not mentioning Medjani) and are a bit short in some other areas. We do lack a bit of strength in midfield without Hobbs there.

Pheeny

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 09:44:04 am »
Out of interest were the Leeds fans Wrexham lads? If so I know a few of them and yes they are :wankers :P

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 09:47:41 am »
Your reports on the reserve games are very informative AdamS, keeps us well abreast of all the players we can call upon at a time of need. A lot of good young players there, look forward to seeing some of them in the CC match against CP next month. Raven, Guthrie, Hamill could get a run out.
Doubters to Believers

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 09:48:00 am »
Loving your work, fella. Guthrie sounds interesting. Do you think he or any of the others might get a run out in the Carling Cup?

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 10:15:00 am »
Loving your work, fella. Guthrie sounds interesting. Do you think he or any of the others might get a run out in the Carling Cup?
Yes Michael, I fully expect Guthrie to play and have an absolute nightmare! ;D

I hope to see a few get a run out, but many are still very young.

Offline KENTY

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For All
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 11:08:40 am »
Another reason for Hobbs playing centre mid is that playing there will enable him to become more comfortable on the ball. The midfield is obviously the busiest area of a pitch and he will see more of the ball there.

Im interested to know how good is Adam Hammill because i've heard a few decent things about this lad.

What about O'Donnell is he gonna be good enough to make the step up at all?

And lastly do you think Raven will get a look in with Rafa and the first team, i've seen a bit of him but not much and he looks pretty useful.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 11:38:44 am »
Hi,

Thanks AdamS. I love your reports :)

I think from memory that Carson has not played for the reserves this year. He is No 2 until at least Dudek comes back and then Rafa will have to make a choice. Which I think he already has and Dudek will be on his way. A shame. A great keeper who alas who is prone to mistakes but will always be remembered for that one night in May :)

:)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline KENTY

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For All
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 12:40:10 pm »
Thats right mate, Dudek will be a hero forever now after Istanbul and he fully deserves that recognition too.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 01:36:46 pm »
O'Donnell impressed me a lot last season. He is good in the air, he's fast (although he runs like a chicken) and he is getting stronger. He looks a bit flakey at times when he is next to the very composed Roque, but he's still young for a centre half. When you think about it, very few break through in that position before the age of about 22.

Raven is captain and always reliable. He's steady going forward without really setting the world on fire.

It's difficult to judge who will make it. This is an entirely different standard. You have Mellor who tears it up at this level and many think won't make it, then you have Warnock, who wasn't particularly stand-out at this level and many are now tipping to go on and make it in the first team.

Offline Mr Red

• Boys Pen
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2005, 07:03:13 pm »
Hello to all, am new to this forum (although familiar with site)

Just wanted to back Adam up on Guthrie, i too get to go to reserve games (well home ones at least), and i must say that Guthrie has really stood out for me.  He is a very willing worker, holds the ball well and has good vision.  One thing that struck me immediately about him is that you can tell he is an intelligent player, often he will not have to touch the ball in order to get past  a player, just a nice drop of the shoulder and he is away.  What i also like about him, is the way he rarely gives the ball away - something i feel is extremely important if a player is going to succeed.

Adam, i am not sure about you, but IMO he reminds me in some ways of Macca - style wise, his position and even his movement, etc.

I certainly hope he gets a chance in the CC, would be great if he could transfer a little of his form in the reserves to that competition.
(At Dixie Deans funeral) " I know this is a sad occasion, but i think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a saturday afternoon" Bill Shankly

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #24 on: October 4, 2005, 02:17:20 am »
Our young 'uns will shine through, pass the Bovril, it's got to be better than this decaff crud I have to drink! ;)
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 4, 2005, 03:44:11 am »
Cheers for the report Adam!

I am glad Kewell got a few minutes under his belt

keep them coming!
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆